Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

zakharov posted:

Was Junior ever married? If not, did they say why?

He never marries but I'm pretty sure they show a girlfriend of his.

Supreme Allah posted:

You know what scene irrationally irritates me every time I see it. It's when Tony comes home and Carmela hasn't made dinner (awful person), but she picked up a submarine sandwich for Tony. He looks annoyed and then when he goes to unwrap it, he does this mannerism like the wrapping is hot or unwieldy, and he drops the sub back on his plate and looks around even more frustrated. It's a loving sub, why are you having a hard time and acting confused. Stop being a bitch. Who behaves like that.

The really frustrating part about this is you could imagine him going out and grabbing subs with the guys and unwrapping it just fine. It's the fact that it's in his house and what Carm got him that makes him go so :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

See if Janice was around she could have done some of that amazing home cooking of hers that won Bobby's heart.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

See if Janice was around she could have done some of that amazing home cooking of hers that won Bobby's heart.

One of the most heartbreaking moments on the show was Janice forcing Bobby to eat Karen's last ziti. I know it's not her fault that she is the way she is, but she was just as cold and emotionally manipulative as Livia. She's Livia 2.0. Honestly the people I felt the worst for are Bobby's kids, they are forced to have Janice as a mother.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I hated Janice so much.. She was just such a liar.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

One of the most heartbreaking moments on the show was Janice forcing Bobby to eat Karen's last ziti. I know it's not her fault that she is the way she is, but she was just as cold and emotionally manipulative as Livia. She's Livia 2.0. Honestly the people I felt the worst for are Bobby's kids, they are forced to have Janice as a mother.

I still can't get over her contacting Bobby Junior anonymously and convincing him to get the Ouji Board out of the closet and try to contact his dead mother :stare:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I thought that it was actually a fairly solid scene....Bobby was not doing himself any loving favors by doing poo poo like burying a cake in memorial of his wedding anniversary or moping around the house being a sadsack.

Her bullying Bobby to go out and intimidate that union guy, though, was Janice-as-Livia through and through.

That one scene with her and Bobby was an actual genuine scene between two characters. Partly, because, I think Janice knew she needed to show that sort of a side to Bobby to spark his interest, but also partly because Janice was motivated to do so out of fear. She totally is a self-serving, self-interested character, but she also knows that the alternatives for her are either running another welfare scam with some 18 year old (that can go all night) or a gangster like Ralphie or Richie Aprile. Bobby is perfect for her because he won't take up with other women and because Bobby's vulnerable enough that Janice can manipulate him.

That one scene, though? I think it was a sincere/genuine moment between the two of them, just that Janice's motivations and the eventual end result were horrible.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I never read that scene like it was malicious, but I certainly wouldn't put it past her.

And now I've got the image of an elderly Janice in my head saying how she gave her life on a silver platter. :staredog:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That scene was just so sad to me because she wasn't doing it to help Bobby, she was doing it to get Bobby into an emotional state where she could get the most use out of him. If she had actually cared about him, she would have let him grieve. Instead she weaseled her way into his life because it was a good fit for her.

I don't hate Janice though, she was a product of her environment just as much as Tony, except she couldn't physically threaten anyone like Tony, she had to use her only options, which were sneaking,lying,sex and manipulation.

Gillian Dormede from Boardwalk Empire reminds me alot of Janice. Yes, she's a terrible person, but because she had terrible things done to her. I would also highly reccomend any Sopranos fans watch Boardwalk Empire, it's amazing.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Perdido posted:

Her bullying Bobby to go out and intimidate that union guy, though, was Janice-as-Livia through and through.

Union guy? You mean the juror at Uncle Junior's trial? That was pretty essential for Bobby to do, probably the biggest display of how his grief was interfering with his work. He would have been in some trouble if he hadn't done that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Union guy? You mean the juror at Uncle Junior's trial? That was pretty essential for Bobby to do, probably the biggest display of how his grief was interfering with his work. He would have been in some trouble if he hadn't done that.

There was that but Bobby also met a guy in a bar about who to vote for in the joint fitters union. "Vote for a guy like Dick Hoffman? I'd rather put a bullet in my head here.....and here."

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Oh Bobby needed a swift kick in the rear end, no doubt about that at all. But Janice doing it was a great example of doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Nope, Junior's trial was just starting at that point in the show, but he needed Bobby to take care of the joint fitters rep, as was mentioned above.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

That scene was just so sad to me because she wasn't doing it to help Bobby, she was doing it to get Bobby into an emotional state where she could get the most use out of him. If she had actually cared about him, she would have let him grieve. Instead she weaseled her way into his life because it was a good fit for her.

Yeah, I don't think Bobby's well-being ever crossed her mind for a second. She wanted to be a part of that world, and Bobby was the easy way in. She bullied and pushed and steamrolled until she got what she wanted. That being said, Bobby was definitely in a bad place and probably needed some help. But she was only helping herself.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm watching the 6th season now and there are a few moments where it seems like the show is telling us that Bobby is a lovely parent with no control over his kids, and Janice is actually a decent mother who keeps them in line. Theres one scene where Bobby Jr. is cursing and acting disrespectul and Janice comes in and shuts him down in two seconds by challenging him to bring his recent report card out and show it to everyone in the room.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I'm watching the 6th season now and there are a few moments where it seems like the show is telling us that Bobby is a lovely parent with no control over his kids, and Janice is actually a decent mother who keeps them in line. Theres one scene where Bobby Jr. is cursing and acting disrespectul and Janice comes in and shuts him down in two seconds by challenging him to bring his recent report card out and show it to everyone in the room.

I need to rewatch Sopranos (been through it all once), but my impression of Bobby as a whole was that he was kind of a pushover. Got stuck with babysitting Junior, doesn't seem to be a particularly good gangster (don't remember his earnings being mentioned and he hadn't killed a man until Season 6) or father. Janice exploited his loyalty and vulnerability, and then magically Bobby is one of the top guys in the Soprano family when he's gunned down at the end. I chalk that up mostly to his loyalty, he took the poo poo job of watching Junior and now he's married to the boss man's sister.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I think the real message is that Bobby is one of the only "good" people in the entire mafia cast and even though he's not cut out for it in any way other than his...gravity, he's trapped and that's tragic. Like missing the phone call that would've saved his life by seconds so he could go indulge his childlike sense of wonderment for just a little while. "He don't care." is a heartbreaking line of dialogue, especially considering it's basically one of his final words.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

But Bobby did have some backbone every once in a while, when he really needed it. Take the episode where Janice gets arrested for battering another mother at a football game. He gave her a very stern and clear message of "get your rear end into anger management, or this marriage is not going to work".

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ulvir posted:

But Bobby did have some backbone every once in a while, when he really needed it. Take the episode where Janice gets arrested for battering another mother at a football game. He gave her a very stern and clear message of "get your rear end into anger management, or this marriage is not going to work".

Or when he beat the poo poo out of Tony for insulting his wife.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

escape artist posted:

"A German shepherd's shaved rear end in a top hat won first prize"

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
I finally got around to watching the entire series over my university break. It was absolutely brilliant.

A few thoughts and stuff.

AJ's character was just bizarre towards the end there. There is a great scene where he is ranting away and Meadow says something along the lines of 'I dont even know what you are trying to say'

The final shot of Vito on the 'Thin Club' advert really made me sad.

Junior with Alzheimer's was also extremely hard for me to watch, having cared for patients with the disease just made it worse.

Artie might be one of the most pathetic characters I have ever seen.

I thought that the ending was perfect. I can't imagine it being done any other way.

I found it funny how people just kept dying from natural causes.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

toggle posted:

"A German shepherd's shaved rear end in a top hat won first prize"

"Under the Boardwalk... with his schlong in Jan's mouth."

ace_beef posted:

I found it funny how people just kept dying from natural causes.
I haven't watched it in a while, but what are some examples? I can really only think of Ray Curto. You can count Uncle Junior in there, kind of. Gigi dying on the toilet at a young age was definitely not natural. Livia died of natural causes but that was because the actress died.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 19, 2013

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Well I guess i mean non-mafia related deaths.

Hesh's girlfriend. Johnny sack. Christopher would have died if Tony didn't finish him.

I still can't get over how annoying AJ was. Good lord.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

escape artist posted:

"Under the Boardwalk... with his schlong in Jan's mouth."

I haven't watched it in a while, but what are some examples? I can really only think of Ray Curto. You can count Uncle Junior in there, kind of. Gigi dying on the toilet at a young age was definitely not natural. Livia died of natural causes but that was because the actress died.

A heart attack is a heart attack, so Gigi was natural causes.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 19, 2013

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

bobkatt013 posted:

A heart attack is a heart attack, so Gigi was natutal causes.

Big Carmine, Jackie Aprile . . .

There were a bunch of them.

Equally funny is the number of people who went into "witness protection" -- Big Pussy, Richie Aprile, Ralph, Ade . . .

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ace_beef posted:

AJ's character was just bizarre towards the end there. There is a great scene where he is ranting away and Meadow says something along the lines of 'I dont even know what you are trying to say'

I just saw Kennedy and Heidi, and yeah. Bizarre is a good way to put it. I found it hard to sympathise with him when one second he participates in hate-crime, and then whines about nobody getting along the next.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Didn't Hesh die in his sleep?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

bobkatt013 posted:

A heart attack is a heart attack, so Gigi was natural causes.

So is cancer, so Johnny Sack counts, too.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Bonzo posted:

Didn't Hesh die in his sleep?

Hesh didn't die, his wife did.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ZekeNY posted:

Big Carmine, Jackie Aprile . . .

There were a bunch of them.

Equally funny is the number of people who went into "witness protection" -- Big Pussy, Richie Aprile, Ralph, Ade . . .

I dont think anyone claimed Ralph went into witness protection. Tony blamed his disappearance on New York and Adrianna "ran off with another guy"

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
Raymond Curto dying in Sanseverino's car was probably my favourite naturally caused death.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Toilet Terror posted:

Raymond Curto dying in Sanseverino's car was probably my favourite naturally caused death.
At least he lived long enough to enjoy the great deals at Staples.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

escape artist posted:

Tony staggering into their bedroom in the middle of the night to gasp,"You beat me fair and square!" before lurching away must have been an utterly terrifying moment for Janice and Bobby. :stare:

Sassy Not Classy
Dec 21, 2007

I'm not hearing a No.
Rewatching Full Leather Jacket right now, this is probably my favourite line by Carmela in the entire series:

(About Richie)
Carm: I want to compliment you on your behaviour out there.
Tony: Hey, I want him where I can see him!
Carm: That's what we mean when we say family.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Oh man, watching Blue Comet again, I almost forgot how hilarious the camerawork is when Bobby's getting clipped. :haw:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ulvir posted:

Oh man, watching Blue Comet again, I almost forgot how hilarious the camerawork is when Bobby's getting clipped. :haw:

I actually watched that episode within the past few days. Hate to say it but I'm really not a fan of that scene because of Schirripa's performance. Its one of the few scenes in the series where I feel like I'm watching a character played by an actor. I think its probably because Bobby's been around since the beginning of the show and everyone was sad that it was coming to an end, but Schirripa plays it too much like a guy who knows he's in his own death scene for my taste. His zen-like affect during his last conversation with the model train guy comes off as fake to me.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Blue Comet is coming up on HBO next week; I'll have to take a closer look at that scene. I don't remember it feeling off to me; I loved the cuts to the train set and the "reaction" shots of the little figures as the hit went down.

They showed Soprano Home Movies last night, and the big drunken fight between Tony and Bobby was even funnier than I'd remembered it. And now that I have a kid, the last shot of Bobby holding his daughter was much more touching than it had been before.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ZekeNY posted:

Blue Comet is coming up on HBO next week; I'll have to take a closer look at that scene. I don't remember it feeling off to me; I loved the cuts to the train set and the "reaction" shots of the little figures as the hit went down.

They showed Soprano Home Movies last night, and the big drunken fight between Tony and Bobby was even funnier than I'd remembered it. And now that I have a kid, the last shot of Bobby holding his daughter was much more touching than it had been before.

He's holding his daughter because it represents innocence and he's traumatized by having been made to kill his first man.

Is there something you should be telling us? Or shouldn't be?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

escape artist posted:

He's holding his daughter because it represents innocence and he's traumatized by having been made to kill his first man.

Is there something you should be telling us? Or shouldn't be?

I haven't taken any recent trips to a Canadian laundromat, but who hasn't been at least a little bit traumatized at times by life's slings and arrows?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

How did I never notice through five seasons of Nurse Jackie that Eddie was played by Carmela's priest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Those two tend to work together often. He was also the SORT team member in Oz that lied to the chief investigator of the riot as to what happened to his sidearm when the National Guard was sent in. He knew Wittlesy (Falco) used it to murder an inmate.

• Locked thread