Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

sex pervert posted:

Talking about horrible pieces of throwback poo poo the BBC is showing as comedy:

:stare:

Words loving fail me.

This can only end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
*shits self*
"Editorially justified in the context in which it was presented."

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also Russel Kane wrote a book and I imagine it's real bad. A real bad book for idiots to read, I'd guess.
About a year ago I came across a news story about Russell Kane that peaked my interest, because it talked about a stand up show he filmed for DVD which got rave reviews for its humour, its heart breaking story and the strong thematic thread. And what I got instead was a show with loads of jokes about Essex and his dad, which he finishes with a brief moment where he talks about how his dad died.

I don't have anything against him, but I think its safe to say that he was a little be over sold to me.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Jim Crow isn't what you want your viewers to have come into their mind immediately after seeing that.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

goatface posted:

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Simon Brodkin, the same wanker's hanky who got onto a football pitch for his football character and got off with a caution because he didn't know invading a pitch was a criminal offence (it has been since 1991).

And at least one BBC Three commissioner, who must think that Lee Nelson is well funny.

Live at the Electric was poo poo and Simon Brodkin is not funny.

[UK] The Great British programme discussion: We Must Stop BBC Three

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Oben posted:

Uh, no? The joke was that she had a helmet that broadcast her thoughts, could only think of cake, he called her a dick and the screen changed to her punching him in the face.

I stand corrected.
Oh jesus that was so bland I blocked that part out. But the 'first' joke was her imaging a bigger eccles cake.
Oh the hilarity.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I used to think Russell Kane was just Russell Brand without any of the substance, intelligence, wit or warmth possessed by the latter.

But the more I see of him, the more unfair even that heavily qualified comparison seems on Russell Brand. :(

While I was outside cooking myself I was wondering how long it'll be before we have heatwave hysteria on TV news. I remember one scorching hot summer when I was really little. It was only after a week or so that Peter Sissons started telling us with his mad, orange egg of a head that we were all going to die horrible deaths and the British Isles were going to turn into desert islands and the only thing that could possibly save us would be a second coming of St Patrick who'd go about rounding up all the hosepipes out of quaint confusion.

The news only allows us to feel happy about the sun for a little while before it turns it into a national emergency crisis shock horror hide the women and children.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 18, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

It's close, as there's already :supaburn: a level 3 sun warning :supaburn: for the West Midlands, south east and south west.

And as they said on the news at one, IT'S ONLY GOING TO GET HOTTER

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Have any pensioners died yet? That's my yardstick for a heatwave.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They don't like to talk about it, but once they're past 75 English people react to sunlight like vampires.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Pensioners have died and 4 people have died swimming in lakes.

I looked at the MET Office website and Level 4 warning is 'National Emergency'. I'm curious to see how that would play out.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

reality_groove posted:

I looked at the MET Office website and Level 4 warning is 'National Emergency'. I'm curious to see how that would play out.

My favourite it's hot story so far this year was the coastguard responding to a call about a man in an inflatable dinghy trying to row from Dorset to Ireland

e: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/10188258/Man-who-tried-to-sail-from-Dorset-to-Ireland-in-a-dinghy-rescued.html
what a tit

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

reality_groove posted:

Think at level 4 warning they start placing all the National Treasures (like David Attenborough, John Humphries etc.) in an air-conditioned nuclear bunker at Keveldon Hatch in Essex, just in case.

Then they start putting up "Keep Cool and Carry On" posters and I get arrested for ripping them down, because I'm hot, I'm cranky and I'm really sodding tired of all that "Keep ____ and _____ On" merchandise crap.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sounds like somebody needs a little advice on how to make do under stressful situations!

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

onoflalks posted:

My favourite it's hot story so far this year was the coastguard responding to a call about a man in an inflatable dinghy trying to row from Dorset to Ireland

e: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/10188258/Man-who-tried-to-sail-from-Dorset-to-Ireland-in-a-dinghy-rescued.html
what a tit

He's not doing much to defeat the "Americans are bad at geography" stereotype, is he?

The best weather hysteria happens when Ireland gets snow. In winter 2010 there were a couple of weeks of snow and RTÉ news just became a half hour of sheer panic about a nation on its knees because about 2 inches of snow was lying for a few days. I'd lived in Canada for a few years just prior to this, so it was especially hilarious for me.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

sex pervert posted:

He's not doing much to defeat the "Americans are bad at geography" stereotype, is he?

The best weather hysteria happens when Ireland gets snow. In winter 2010 there were a couple of weeks of snow and RTÉ news just became a half hour of sheer panic about a nation on its knees because about 2 inches of snow was lying for a few days. I'd lived in Canada for a few years just prior to this, so it was especially hilarious for me.

This was mostly due being caught unaware really. I live in Ireland and Dublin city was hilariously caught with its pants down. None of the roads were gritted, buses and taxis just simply stopped beside the stretch they were at and told people to walk the rest, cars were sliding everywhere. 'Fooking kay-aus'.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

sex pervert posted:

The rest of the UK gets that hysteria too. When I told a Norwegian friend about how the trains had all been cancelled because 3 inches of snow fell in 2 days, his face was perilously close to :psyduck:

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

happyhippy posted:

This was mostly due being caught unaware really. I live in Ireland and Dublin city was hilariously caught with its pants down. None of the roads were gritted, buses and taxis just simply stopped beside the stretch they were at and told people to walk the rest, cars were sliding everywhere. 'Fooking kay-aus'.

Yeah hadn't the council just sold all the gritter lorries and stuff? I remember I couldn't get a taxi anywhere all over Christmas that year. That was probably prudent on the part of the taxi drivers though since people in Dublin drive like shite at the best of times.

Sorry to you Brits for all his Irish nonsense. If you didn't know, RTÉ is our BBC. It has even shittier programming and adverts and the licence fee costs just as much, but thankfully they seem to be much more sheepish when it comes to trying to enforce it. Presumably because a lot of households here have guns for one reason or another.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Live at the Electric has ONE upside: The occasional Marcel Lucont set.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

CydonianKnight posted:

Are you thinking of the now-defunct Seesaw?

I was, indeed. Thanks, I thought I was going mad. Such a shame it died although no surprise it did really :(

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I don't know what happened but there was a programme on BBC1 this evening called Britain's Favourite Supermarket Foods. It was just some woman going around the country asking people what their favourite sandwich was, how many biscuits they eat in a day, what their favourite biscuit is and how many Clyde Auditoriums you'd need to house the annual quantity of bread bought in the UK. And of course, in BBC trash "documentary" style there was a different song playing every 10 seconds.

I don't know what this show as meant to be. I really have no idea. It was like being on the bus and having the world's most boring old person talking to you in one ear and someone shuffling through the most boring royalty free music playlist in the other.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

sex pervert posted:

I don't know what happened but there was a programme on BBC1 this evening called Britain's Favourite Supermarket Foods. It was just some woman going around the country asking people what their favourite sandwich was, how many biscuits they eat in a day, what their favourite biscuit is and how many Clyde Auditoriums you'd need to house the annual quantity of bread bought in the UK. And of course, in BBC trash "documentary" style there was a different song playing every 10 seconds.

I don't know what this show as meant to be. I really have no idea. It was like being on the bus and having the world's most boring old person talking to you in one ear and someone shuffling through the most boring royalty free music playlist in the other.

It was probably made with a production crew of 4, cost 50p per episode, and filled an hour slot. There is nothing else to know.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

twoot posted:

It was probably made with a production crew of 4, cost 50p per episode, and filled an hour slot. There is nothing else to know.

Okay then. I forget how many Clyde Auditoriums it was. That was the one thing that might have been worth remembering about it :(

In case I find myself needing to fill it with bread. I think she was filling a cathedral in Leeds with pasta as well.

It just boggles my mind to think of all these people involved in producing complete pieces of trash like this. I mean presumably at some point a bunch of people have sat around a table using their creative talents and all those years of media studies to plan a programme comparing custard creams with party rings. A dead end TV job. You're not going to put that on your CV. Surely you'd just get home at night and get hammered and end up on the phone to the Samaritans at three in the morning.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 18, 2013

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

happyhippy posted:

One of the 'acts' is a duo, the red haired woman that appears in Charlie Brooker's TV wipe shows as a pretend TV reviewer (who is funny in that),

one of my favourite charlie brooker tweets was when someone tweeted him that the parts with the reviewers in his show were funnier than his parts, and he replied "you do realise I write their parts?"

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Taff posted:

one of my favourite charlie brooker tweets was when someone tweeted him that the parts with the reviewers in his show were funnier than his parts, and he replied "you do realise I write their parts?"

Barry Shitpeas is a modern day Aristotle.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Did anyone catch Meet the Landlords yesterday?

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

ultrabindu posted:

Did anyone catch Meet the Landlords yesterday?

I couldn't bring myself to watch it. It's bad enough that in one week I've seen two programmes called "We All Pay Your Benefits" and "Why Don't You Speak English". It's starting to feel like my television is in fact a lager swilling UKIP voter sitting in the corner of my living room.

Was it as awful as I'm imagining?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

I hope it's like this comment on this article on the BBC's website that was posted in the UKMT in D&D a few days ago

An arsehole posted:

I am sick and tired of tenants complaining about their lot. I had to take a risk as a buy to let landlord in stretching myself to get a portfolio of eighteen properties. Generally after expense costs such as mortgage costs, maintenance and collection of rents I struggle to make 20% that I need to make it all worthwhile. If you don't like it walk the streets there are plenty of others!

:qq: I only own 18 properties and I only make 20% profit :qq:

Was it like that?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I've been skimming through The Infinite Monkey Cage on YouTube, does it ever get less insufferably smug? The Philosophy episode was like a bunch of science freshers waving their dicks around in the student union.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

sex pervert posted:

It just boggles my mind to think of all these people involved in producing complete pieces of trash like this. I mean presumably at some point a bunch of people have sat around a table using their creative talents and all those years of media studies to plan a programme comparing custard creams with party rings. A dead end TV job. You're not going to put that on your CV. Surely you'd just get home at night and get hammered and end up on the phone to the Samaritans at three in the morning.

I did some of this at uni though i was always much much better and far more interested in the technical aspects of production. There is a some cognitive dissonance involved: they truly believe that this programme is different, this one will change the world, this one will win the bafta. At the same time they realise that it is just another way to fill the schedule. There is also a certain type of person that is involved with the production and development and that can put up with this: think sort of like Nathan Barley but not quite so extreme in most cases. That wasn't me, I work elsewhere in the creative industries and am much happier and can sleep at night (when i'm not working at night).

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

HERAK posted:

I did some of this at uni though i was always much much better and far more interested in the technical aspects of production. There is a some cognitive dissonance involved: they truly believe that this programme is different, this one will change the world, this one will win the bafta. At the same time they realise that it is just another way to fill the schedule. There is also a certain type of person that is involved with the production and development and that can put up with this: think sort of like Nathan Barley but not quite so extreme in most cases. That wasn't me, I work elsewhere in the creative industries and am much happier and can sleep at night (when i'm not working at night).

Well, thanks for the insight. It's something I often find myself wondering when I'm looking at a piece of poo poo programme and wondering how it managed to get to air. The BBC really is producing a lot of old wank and calling it documentary these days. That one last night was just the worst example I've seen.

At one point the woman had two plates of sandwiches and I think they were (for whatever the gently caress reason) going to see which plate people cleared first to see which sandwiches they preferred the look of. When she was explaining the gist of that last sentence I typed for about two minutes, over 10 second bits of different songs related to sandwiches, she said "these ones have more chicken" and the words "MORE CHICKEN" flashed on the screen in sparkly text. In front of the sandwiches that had more chicken.

I don't know, maybe it was intended as a genuine documentary for the lobotomized. I really think it would be altogether better for most people if they just loving showed an hour of pictures of cats with Left Bank Two playing on a loop.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Friend in Dublin did media studies in uni as well, he was so into film making and comic artistry and had aspirations to be a director. He was writing all the time, drawing all the time, ideas and concepts, etc. Then he landed his first job for a company that makes ads and TV intros as the 'librarian', the caretaker of all their film stock past and present. He was told that the directors work up through the ranks and many of the previous directors started in the film stock warehouse in the same position he has now.
Seven years later, he's still the stock guy and half wants to leave half wants to stay as its a 'safe' job.

So the point from all this that I would assume its easy to get side tracked into taking shittier jobs or clients in the media than most professions.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

sex pervert posted:

Well, thanks for the insight. It's something I often find myself wondering when I'm looking at a piece of poo poo programme and wondering how it managed to get to air. The BBC really is producing a lot of old wank and calling it documentary these days. That one last night was just the worst example I've seen.

At one point the woman had two plates of sandwiches and I think they were (for whatever the gently caress reason) going to see which plate people cleared first to see which sandwiches they preferred the look of. When she was explaining the gist of that last sentence I typed for about two minutes, over 10 second bits of different songs related to sandwiches, she said "these ones have more chicken" and the words "MORE CHICKEN" flashed on the screen in sparkly text. In front of the sandwiches that had more chicken.

I don't know, maybe it was intended as a genuine documentary for the lobotomized. I really think it would be altogether better for most people if they just loving showed an hour of pictures of cats with Left Bank Two playing on a loop.

I really don't know why you comment on programs if you cannot be bothered to watch them properly. You just come over as the typical tabloid reader who is looking for something to be offended by. Maybe take a break from posting?

To fill in those who didn't see the program and to steer them back onto the point. The experiment was biscuits and how variety is much more appealing to the human eye. Also that we eat more if there is a variety. Gotta try 'em all, and that.

As for sandwiches. That experiment had three groups of chicken sandwiches. One with more mayo (fat), one with more bread (carbs) and one with more chicken (protein). The one with protein sated hunger off for the longest.

As the most obese nation in the EU, this might be useful information for viewers. Perhaps you're ok with your weight and you automatically know what to eat. Others may not.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've been skimming through The Infinite Monkey Cage on YouTube, does it ever get less insufferably smug? The Philosophy episode was like a bunch of science freshers waving their dicks around in the student union.

Nope. But that's exactly why I like it.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Chunk5 posted:

I really don't know why you comment on programs if you cannot be bothered to watch them properly. You just come over as the typical tabloid reader who is looking for something to be offended by. Maybe take a break from posting?

To fill in those who didn't see the program and to steer them back onto the point. The experiment was biscuits and how variety is much more appealing to the human eye. Also that we eat more if there is a variety. Gotta try 'em all, and that.

As for sandwiches. That experiment had three groups of chicken sandwiches. One with more mayo (fat), one with more bread (carbs) and one with more chicken (protein). The one with protein sated hunger off for the longest.

As the most obese nation in the EU, this might be useful information for viewers. Perhaps you're ok with your weight and you automatically know what to eat. Others may not.

I was genuinely curious to know what kind of people work on shows like that and how they might feel about their jobs and a bloke actually filled me in. Admittedly I was only half watching, but it doesn't sound like I was too far off the mark with the content. You're right though, in that I'm likely just expecting far too much from "viewers". I have a tendency to forget that there are people in the world like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKRJJU4mCOE

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

sex pervert posted:

I was genuinely curious to know what kind of people work on shows like that and how they might feel about their jobs and a bloke actually filled me in. Admittedly I was only half watching, but it doesn't sound like I was too far off the mark with the content. You're right though, in that I'm likely just expecting far too much from "viewers". I have a tendency to forget that there are people in the world like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKRJJU4mCOE

I've seen that guy at the end before for another royals thing, still have my suspicions it's a Joe Pasquale character piece though

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

For what its worth, sex pervert's jaded evening rant-posts are my favourite part of this thread.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

For what its worth, sex pervert's jaded evening rant-posts are my favourite part of this thread.

I'm with you there. But I think our boy dropped the ball on this one, then took a dive to feign an injury in front of the cameras.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

sex pervert posted:

Sorry to you Brits for all his Irish nonsense. If you didn't know, RTÉ is our BBC. It has even shittier programming and adverts and the licence fee costs just as much, but thankfully they seem to be much more sheepish when it comes to trying to enforce it. Presumably because a lot of households here have guns for one reason or another.

RTE is great and we're lucky to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No details yet, but Mel Smith just died. :(