Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Liberatore posted:

Anyway, I second Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. If you play a character focused on melee and disciplines (magic, pretty much), you can go through most of the game in third person. The story and dialogue are great, and they went as far as making the Malkavian bloodline have the entirety of its dialogue altered, with NPC responses to match, to the point where the entire game feels fresh if you just finished it with another bloodline.

If you do play Bloodlines, do not play as a Malkavian for your first run. Some of their dialogue has spoilers about the true natures of some of the characters, due to their insanity. Also, get the fan patch - It fixes a lot of bugs (oh god, don't play this game unpatched) and makes a lot of the 2d graphics (like the HUD and maps) legible at standard monitor resolutions. Just google for unofficial patch 8.6 and you'll find it.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Having a Malkavian on your second run, however, is extremely entertaining, including gems such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1FbDuRWPho

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you do play Bloodlines, do not play as a Malkavian for your first run.

Don't play Nosferatu too, moving around city you risk to score masquerade violation points and running in the sewers to get anywhere quickly gets old.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I would actually recommend playing a Malkavian on your first run. In my experience, most of the people that warn against doing so didn't do it themselves. It's such a completely unique and compelling experience. Yes, you have no idea what's going on and you get fragments of spoilers that you'll be lucky to even understand. It's great! It's bewildering and fantastic in the real sense of the word, almost poetic if video games can be that. If anything, it spoils the game because replaying as any other clan just feels so bland afterwards.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Yeah, the 'spoilers' are subtle enough that only someone who has already finished the game will understand most of them as they're presented. I didn't play a Malkavian first, but I did finish the game with it first, and it was a great experience.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm looking for a squad based strategy game, in the likes of 7.62mm, Jagged Alliance or XCOM on the PC. I vastly prefer real time instead of turn based, and I'd like real time with pause.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Leal posted:

I'm looking for a squad based strategy game, in the likes of 7.62mm, Jagged Alliance or XCOM on the PC. I vastly prefer real time instead of turn based, and I'd like real time with pause.

Fallout Tactics, gently caress the haters. One of my favorites, even if it doesn't really have the Fallout story style. It has lots of good tactical fighting!

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Leal posted:

The UFO: Aftermath / -shock / -light games might be worth looking into. I've only played the first two and while they're pretty dated now (especially the first one) and don't offer any great strategic gameplay, the tactical real-time gameplay was pretty fun.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Leal posted:

If you're looking for something relatively new that isn't the latest XCOM game, the F2P Jagged Alliance game isn't bad. Not great, either, but it should entertaining for a while.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What are some good games (or good styles of games) that can be played without a mouse? I'm living with my GF and her brother and he's commandeered the kitchen table so all my computer time is spent on a bed with no hard mouse surfaces.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

C-Euro posted:

What are some good games (or good styles of games) that can be played without a mouse? I'm living with my GF and her brother and he's commandeered the kitchen table so all my computer time is spent on a bed with no hard mouse surfaces.

Try Binding of Isaac. It's very cheap, very replayable, and the default controls are no-mouse.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

farming simulator or agricultural simulator?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

C-Euro posted:

:byodood: Suuuuuuper Meat Boy!

Also, you should consider investing in a wired xbox 360 controller. They're compatible with quite a lot of new-release games.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dr. VonHugenstein posted:

Try Binding of Isaac. It's very cheap, very replayable, and the default controls are no-mouse.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:byodood: Suuuuuuper Meat Boy!

Also, you should consider investing in a wired xbox 360 controller. They're compatible with quite a lot of new-release games.

Oh duh, I have both of these already, thanks for the reminder. I just forgot about them since a lot of my gaming (before I moved) was action-y mouse games like AoE2, FTL, and Terraria. And a wired controller is on my to-buy list, I'm just broke as poo poo right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

C-Euro posted:

Oh duh, I have both of these already, thanks for the reminder. I just forgot about them since a lot of my gaming (before I moved) was action-y mouse games like AoE2, FTL, and Terraria. And a wired controller is on my to-buy list, I'm just broke as poo poo right now.

Invest in an official wired xbox360 controller rather than one of the third-party ones if you can. They've got proper compatibility with drat-near any big release on PC from the last 6-or-so years at least.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Invest in an official wired xbox360 controller rather than one of the third-party ones if you can. They've got proper compatibility with drat-near any big release on PC from the last 6-or-so years at least.
Logitech's F310 gamepad is just as good and I find it a little more comfortable than the xbox360 controller. I found it to be well worth getting one to relieve the tension in my fingers.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

Oh, dang, I forgot to put them in. Currently playing System Shock 2 (gently caress that tooth platform in The Many) and finished the Bioshock series (Infinite included) and I racked up 100+ hours on EYE: Divine Cybermancy, as infuriating as it was, I kinda fell in love with it.

It's all good, though, I need to finish System Shock 2!
It's more geared towards exploration and survival than straight up RPG mechanics, but definitely try Stalker.

For some less played old school stuff, Shadow Warrior isn't quite as good as Duke, but it has that same brand of mid 90's insanity to it and was doing some crazy stuff with the Build engine for 1997. Also Blood, which is Doom levels of greatness but requires loving around with dosbox.

Can't think of many newer games, but Necrovision is pretty much what the Painkiller devs would have come up with if there was a gas leak in the office, and Bulletstorm isn't great but you can mighty boot + slide around at 100mph, it's pretty impossible not to have fun with it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Optical mice work just fine in my bed for me

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Are there any other western style RPG's ala Demons Souls / Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma (console exclusives) available on the PS3?

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
What are some good open world games with super powers (Like Prototype 1 & 2, which I've played) for the 360 or Wii?

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Skilleddk posted:

Are there any other western style RPG's ala Demons Souls / Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma (console exclusives) available on the PS3?

Skyrim, Dragon Age, Kingdoms of Amalur, Fallout 3 and NV, Deus Ex HR, Mass Effect, and probably some others were all released on PS3. They are all very different styles of western RPG.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Since I can't seem to find the Steam Summer Sale thread, I'm going to ask in here if it's not a problem - which do people recommend more, Kerbal Space Program or Prison Architect?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CowboyAndy posted:

What are some good open world games with super powers (Like Prototype 1 & 2, which I've played) for the 360 or Wii?

Lego Batman 2 count?

There's also the upcoming Saints Row 4.

EDIT: /\ They closed the thread when the sale ended. Of the two I definitely recommend Kerbal as it's a far more complete package currently. Prison Architect is also going to be 20$ when it eventually releases so you may as well save some money.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

JadaX posted:

Since I can't seem to find the Steam Summer Sale thread, I'm going to ask in here if it's not a problem - which do people recommend more, Kerbal Space Program or Prison Architect?

Prison Architect is pretty unfinished and unless you really like the idea of running a prison, Evil Genius is a similar but vastly superior game.

With that in mind, I'd go with Kerbal Space Program. Unfortunately I think it was on sale during the Steam summer sale, as well as Prison Architect, so you missed that opportunity.

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
I realized after the Summer Sale ended that I don't really have any new games to play besides Starcraft 2. I only have a PC and some of the games I've liked include Mount & Blade Warband, Prototype 2, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim. I think I'm looking for an RPG that has lots of upgrades to make you feel pretty strong by the end of it, since that seems to be the running theme between those games. Preferably nothing turn-based.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vita posted:

I realized after the Summer Sale ended that I don't really have any new games to play besides Starcraft 2. I only have a PC and some of the games I've liked include Mount & Blade Warband, Prototype 2, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim. I think I'm looking for an RPG that has lots of upgrades to make you feel pretty strong by the end of it, since that seems to be the running theme between those games. Preferably nothing turn-based.

Check out The Witcher 2. You do not need to have played the first one.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Are there any good online/MMO type games that you can play with a poor connection and very limited bandwidth? Preferably not a browser game.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

ammo mammal posted:

Are there any good online/MMO type games that you can play with a poor connection and very limited bandwidth? Preferably not a browser game.

Depends on what you mean by poor? Disconnects often? If so, not many. Otherwise, anything that's turn-based should be fine. Off the top of my head I remember Scrolls, Magic 2014, Magic: The Gathering Online, PoxNora and Jagged Alliance Online. There's a bunch more, with most of the decent ones featuring some kind of collectible aspect or tactical turn-based combat.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: /\ They closed the thread when the sale ended. Of the two I definitely recommend Kerbal as it's a far more complete package currently. Prison Architect is also going to be 20$ when it eventually releases so you may as well save some money.

Liberatore posted:

With that in mind, I'd go with Kerbal Space Program. Unfortunately I think it was on sale during the Steam summer sale, as well as Prison Architect, so you missed that opportunity.

Thanks, I went ahead and bought Kerbal off someone on reddit :)

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
First: Can anyone suggest a good city builder that isn't a SimCity game, CitiesXL or Anno? I feel like making huge cities, preferrably as peacefully as possible.

Second: Good puzzle games, as hard as possible. I like SpaceChem and Everyday Genius.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Elswyyr posted:

Second: Good puzzle games, as hard as possible. I like SpaceChem and Everyday Genius.

Antichamber

EDIT: \/ Magrunner?

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 23, 2013

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Antichamber
Played it :(

Magrunner too.

Elswyyr fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 23, 2013

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Elswyyr posted:

First: Can anyone suggest a good city builder that isn't a SimCity game, CitiesXL or Anno? I feel like making huge cities, preferrably as peacefully as possible.

Tropico or to a lesser extent Settlers.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Elswyyr posted:

There are a bunch of Roman city builders - Caesar IV, Imperium Romanum and it's sequel, Grand Ages Rome.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

The Impressions city-building series was the gold standard for a very long time. There's annoying 'walker logic' to deal with but it's otherwise high quality. Poseidon introduced the feature of persistent city from mission to mission, but they're all great in their own ways. It's on GOG.

There's also Children of the Nile.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Leal posted:

Full Spectrum Warrior

THQ hit the dirt so now it is freeware

http://www.gamefront.com/files/Full+Spectrum+Warrior/;11928826;/fileinfo.html

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013
What's the best racing game of the last few years? Tried to get back into them with Burnout:Paradise in the Steam sales but i've got the crash after the intro glitch and have tried all the "fixes" and nothing has worked. Prefer arcade style rather than the GT style simulations. Cheers.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Mr_Wolf posted:

What's the best racing game of the last few years? Tried to get back into them with Burnout:Paradise in the Steam sales but i've got the crash after the intro glitch and have tried all the "fixes" and nothing has worked. Prefer arcade style rather than the GT style simulations. Cheers.
Definitely Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. It's generally deemed to be an even better kart racer than any of the Mario Karts.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Elswyyr posted:

Played it :(

Magrunner too.

Cogs is a sliding block puzzle game that quickly became impossible for me, even though I can do sliding block puzzles in most other contexts, because of poo poo like 3D surfaces and gear ratios. Cogs: for masochists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I picked up Monaco during the summer sale and it's pretty fun, but are there any single player games with a similar concept? i.e. coordinating a team of people to pull off a heist of some kind.