Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know when Barnes and Noble is doing their Criterion Sale? Someone here said they do one in July.

It's going on now. I highly recommend bookmarking the Criterion thread to keep up with their news, it tends to remain relatively separate from this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Asnorban posted:

It's going on now. I highly recommend bookmarking the Criterion thread to keep up with their news, it tends to remain relatively separate from this one.

Thanks. I ended up hearing about it in the general chat thread. I already made my purchases.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Right now.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

And Howard's End is already gone. Son of a bitch.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know when Barnes and Noble is doing their Criterion Sale? Someone here said they do one in July.

It's going on right now (started today).

e;fb

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Some good release news today. The Best Years of Our Lives is coming November 5th. And Kino is prepping Nosferatu, The Trial (finally!!) and Russian Ark.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

I can't wait for this one. It's one of those movies that should reach another level in HD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Some good release news today. The Best Years of Our Lives is coming November 5th. And Kino is prepping Nosferatu, The Trial (finally!!) and Russian Ark.

All three of the Kino releases are day-one buys, especially Russian Ark. Although, I'm really wanting to get into region free since the Masters of Cinema release of Nosferatu will undoubtedly have better supplements and a booklet.

I'm surprised Kino got The Trial, though. Isn't it in the StudioCanal library?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I have been waiting for Russian Ark since bluray came out.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Working on some more of those before/after Star Trek: TNG videos; this is a shot from Season 3's "The Price" - left side is DVD, right side is Blu-ray:

It's like the DVDs were kept in cigarette smoke for twenty years.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

FitFortDanga posted:

Pretty much been waiting since I first got into Blu-Ray to get Nosferatu. Can't wait!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Aatrek posted:

Working on some more of those before/after Star Trek: TNG videos; this is a shot from Season 3's "The Price" - left side is DVD, right side is Blu-ray:

Some of appreciate sepia, thankyouverymuch :colbert:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FitFortDanga posted:

Russian Ark.

Holy poo poo, I cannot wait.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Oh my god, The Trial. Yessssssss.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Rust and Bone is on sale for $10 at Amazon. You have to look at the "More Buying Choices" section because they ran out of stock. So if you don't mind waiting a few weeks, you can get it cheap. http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Bone-Blu-ray-Marion-Cotillard/dp/B00AZNEVJ8

If you enjoy melodramas you'll probably dig it a lot.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Reading this review of the upcoming release of Possession makes me really happy.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Oh my god, The Trial. Yessssssss.

Nothing else to add to that - very excited for this!

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

FitFortDanga posted:

Oh man i'm excited for Russian Ark. All I could find in the wild were DVD's with mediocre picture quality. I've been meaning to show my friends it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know if that upcoming House of Wax blu-ray will have 3D that's viewable without a 3D television?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know if that upcoming House of Wax blu-ray will have 3D that's viewable without a 3D television?

Stereoscopic 3D would require its own track, so probably not.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Shaun Of The Dead/Hot Fuzz - $12.96

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7MW598...GSNS4278KX0BXMM

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Picked up Dredd on Blu-ray this week. One feature I really appreciate is the Dolby 2.0 mix that is especially made for late night viewing. They turn down the bass and turn up the dialog on the middle speaker so you don't have the problem of the music and effects being deafening then the dialog being so quiet you can't hear it. I wish more movies had this!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Picked up Dredd on Blu-ray this week. One feature I really appreciate is the Dolby 2.0 mix that is especially made for late night viewing. They turn down the bass and turn up the dialog on the middle speaker so you don't have the problem of the music and effects being deafening then the dialog being so quiet you can't hear it. I wish more movies had this!

God drat. That's pretty awesome. Wish I knew of more!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

codyclarke posted:

God drat. That's pretty awesome. Wish I knew of more!

I see it occasionally, but not nearly often enough. I have a tendency to see what my audio options are in case there is a 2.0 mix. I don't have surround sound and I hate when I'm watching something where the dialogue is fairly quiet so you have to turn up the volume and then when there's a sound effect or a musical cue, it's super loud.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Yay! The Driver apparently looks gorgeous:

quote:

I think this transfer is going to garner a lot of the usual chatter. There is a lot of crawling grain in the low-light pushed sequences, just as their should be. Once you're in sunlight or bright light, then blacks are deep and contrast is as it should be. But I think a lot of the wags are going to think they're seeing "noise" - they're not, but they'll think they are. I saw the film several times when it was released, and this is pretty much what it looked like. It's a brand new transfer done this year and I thought it looked great, just like a 1978 film should look shot under these conditions and on this budget. The color is fantastic, the sound excellent mono.

Just for fun, I then put on the DVD and all I can say is wow. No texture, no detail, no grain, just DNR and edge enhancement that is so strong even I could see it. That, BTW, is not what The Driver should look like and boy am I glad they did this fresh transfer.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/325071-a-sneak-peek-at-the-driver/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Aatrek posted:

Bet any money the actual film stock was, reel canisters or no.

Just a technical question: Does the Blu-Ray of The Hobbit play in 48 frames like it reportedly did in theatres?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Mister Macys posted:

Bet any money the actual film stock was, reel canisters or no.

Just a technical question: Does the Blu-Ray of The Hobbit play in 48 frames like it reportedly did in theatres?

I dunno why you say reportedly, The Hobbit DID play in 48fps 3D in theaters.

However, no, it does not, and someone who understands it better can explain to you why it cannot.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GonSmithe posted:

However, no, it does not, and someone who understands it better can explain to you why it cannot.

The current Blu-Ray spec doesn't support it.

Also nobody besides Peter Jackson gives a poo poo about 48 fps

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Call Me Charlie posted:

The current Blu-Ray spec doesn't support it.

Also nobody besides Peter Jackson gives a poo poo about 48 fps

I think it would be amazing for nature documentaries. But yeah, swing and a miss PJ.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

I think it would be amazing for nature documentaries. But yeah, swing and a miss PJ.

I actually like it especially in theaters. I noticed a lot less stuttering in movement and my eyes didn't start to hurt despite watching for 3 hours. I think people are just so used to seeing 24fps, they are aren't used to seeing smoother more consistent motion.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

GonSmithe posted:

I say reportedly, because I never saw it, and I've heard that not all theatres showed it that way. v:v:v

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HFX posted:

I actually like it especially in theaters. I noticed a lot less stuttering in movement and my eyes didn't start to hurt despite watching for 3 hours. I think people are just so used to seeing 24fps, they are aren't used to seeing smoother more consistent motion.

A lot of people (including me) described it like watching a stage play. I personally liked it that way, but a lot of people didn't. I was glad I saw it in 2D 24fps first though just so the gimmick wouldn't be too distracting from the actual film.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HFX posted:

It did improve the 3d a lot, but I'm not so hot on 3d either :v:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh hey, new Warner Archive release.

Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/product/code/1000399678.do?adid=0716WACNRcEml&ref=EW0716C

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Asnorban posted:

Oh drat, this is awesome and they ship to Canada! :D Only $8/shipping for two movies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Amazon is selling the :nolan: Batman box set for 24.99.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

quote:

Raro Video U.S. announced today that it has acquired the distribution rights to renowned Italian director Bernardo Bertolucci's Il conformista a.k.a The Conformist (1970), starring Jean-Louis Trintignant, Stefania Sandrelli, Dominique Sanda, and Pierre Clémenti. The label also revealed that it plans to bring the film to Blu-ray later this year.

Nice, Raro Video is quickly become my favorite tiny distributor.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nice, Raro Video is quickly become my favorite tiny distributor.

Awesome, I've been hoping for a blu ray of The Conformist for a while now, I'd imagine that it would look stunning in high def.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Surprised Criterion didn't manage to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
That's awesome news, possibly the best-looking film ever made.

• Locked thread