Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Bigup DJ posted:

Why should we? I think it's very interesting. I've been turned off the game completely since it happened and I want to know why it is they're not saying anything about it.

PoH is not a dev iirc, and did not write the charms, and can't really do anything about them etc. He can't and won't say anything on the matter. If Holden or Morke ever swing by here again, fine, but PoH has never defended the rapeghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

axelsoar posted:

PoH is not a dev iirc, and did not write the charms, and can't really do anything about them etc. He can't and won't say anything on the matter. If Holden or Morke ever swing by here again, fine, but PoH has never defended the rapeghosts.

Indeed he's a freelancer, so unless he's been commissioned to write part of the Abyssals book he only knows what Holden and Hatewheel feel like telling him. (And given how far ahead the Abyssals book will be in the release schedule I'd be surprised if there's been anything official on who is writing what.)

Granted he may well know more than we do by dint of networking, but he has no authority to make official statements on behalf of the Exalted team or Onyx Path and given how easily freelancer ramblings get mistaken for official announcements and the kind of crap that sort of confusion can cause for one's continued employment prospects I think it's very reasonable for Plague_of_Hats not to touch the issue with a ten-foot barge pole.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 27, 2013

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

(...) he has no authority to make official statements on behalf of the Exalted team or Onyx Path and given how easily freelancer ramblings get mistaken for official announcements and the kind of crap that sort of confusion can cause for one's continued employment prospects I think it's very reasonable for Plague_of_Hats not to touch the issue with a ten-foot barge pole.
Expanding on that, even if he knew everything and wanted to talk about it, it wouldn't actually help in my case.

The apology which I want is an OFFICIAL apology, and he's not in a position to give that.

So, please do leave Plague_of_Hats alone about the rapeghosts. Hectoring him about that issue can't help, but it can shut down other discussion, and indeed it seems to have done so.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dodge Charms posted:

So, please do leave Plague_of_Hats alone about the rapeghosts. Hectoring him about that issue can't help, but it can shut down other discussion, and indeed it seems to have done so.

Speaking of which, is it really necessary to have the same conversation over and over again? The people who didn't pledge don't have to keep on declaring they didn't pledge: they told us a few times already.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

RPZip posted:

Which would be reasonable, except that they'd promised further discussion once the Kickstarter was over, using the pretty dubious reasoning that anything they said before then would be somehow tainted by the profit motive. While it's pretty likely they were just lying and using that as a flimsy excuse, that doesn't mean they should be let off the hook for using it.

Hatewheel's the "them" you're talking about, so I'm not trying to let anyone actually responsible off the hook, here.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They're all freelancers, but there are only two Devs, and the rest are writers and artists. The Abyssal book isn't coming out anytime soon, and anything that can be discussed about the topic has already been done to death, nobody is going to be satisfied with everything they could say. It was already admitted to be a mistake and are reviewing how the charms will be done, what more can they do for a product that's not going to be out for years?

Look at how long it's taking the core to come out and how many times they've said it's been revised, re-written, and altered. Until the book comes out nothing is written in stone, any information put out is still subject to change.

I'm really looking forward to finally being able to start playing Ex3 hopefully in some months from now, I have a couple games where we're playing 2e in the meantime and then convert to 3e afterwards, and in one of them we're already roughly using the new map, because we've had Gaia return to Creation at the end of a previous campaign and the changes in the map was caused by that event.

I'm in a few other campaigns that have gone on for years that we may or may not convert to 3e as well, obviously not in a 1:1 ratio, we might just simply continue with the previous edition until the Story is finished, and then start a new one with 3e in the world our previous characters made.

I've joked to my ST that Basphomy is riffing off of my Infernal.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Vadoc posted:

I'm in a few other campaigns that have gone on for years that we may or may not convert to 3e as well, obviously not in a 1:1 ratio, we might just simply continue with the previous edition until the Story is finished, and then start a new one with 3e in the world our previous characters made.

I've joked to my ST that Basphomy is riffing off of my Infernal.

I've found that it's kind of a pain to change editions in the same campaign, yeah.

Fightest posted:

That said, regarding the Fair Folk. In 2e I found the concept utterly fascinating, but also found the book completely impenetrable. That said, making 3e Fair Folk completely clinical would also take away from their charm.

Raksha have always been confusingly written, and I think that's a bug and not a feature. At this point I have absolutely no problem with dry, clinical language for mechanics! :argh:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Bedlamdan posted:

I've found that it's kind of a pain to change editions in the same campaign, yeah.

Raksha have always been confusingly written, and I think that's a bug and not a feature. At this point I have absolutely no problem with dry, clinical language for mechanics! :argh:

Heh, we're avoiding one problem by simply not writing up any character sheets, just doing it all by freeform and minis, a little bit like Nobilis when we do a fight scene. Rather than focusing on dice, abilities, what we can or cannot do we just play it out anyway with what we have in mind for our characters eventually.

The Raksha in 3e will be far more playable I think, they'll be presented in a way that works in Exalted, but also in a way that marks them as alien without making you want to bash your head against the wall trying to figure out the mechanics. Or without making them cartoonish 4th wall breaking characters.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hey, kickstarter update, clearly they read the thread. :v: While it does not address The Controversy:

* No new info, but Richard "Richard Thomas" Thomas expects updates every couple of weeks as things progress
* Official KS Survey will be held off to avoid the hundreds of shipping address changes that will inevitably occur if they did it now for a winter release
* Please go to this W20 Changing Breeds KS
* Update on that map of Creation

So, I guess they didn't get eaten by a tyrant lizard.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Thoughts on the map? I like how it's progressing!

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

axelsoar posted:

Yes I was a bit of a dickhead about the whole thing! Sorry PoH. I just want the whole thing sorted so I can get back into the game. We should follow up on Hatewheel's promise.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

Thoughts on the map? I like how it's progressing!

It's definitely looking more interesting than 2E's map. And much more plausible too!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I wish there was more arable land to the North, but otherwise it's great. I'm especially interested in the Southwest.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm really looking forward to the Southeast. That Mediterranean analog-Sea of Chaos is on top of my list for potential locations of my first 3ed. game.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Bedlamdan posted:

It's definitely looking more interesting than 2E's map. And much more plausible too!

We are talking about a world that is literally flat and is surrounded by The Land of Make-Believe. Plausible doesn't enter into the equation.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
I'm so happy about those sea people and their empire.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I like the inlets and bays left by glaciation in the North. Since the Blessed Isle is supposed to be about the size of Russia, those things must have been massive and left thousands of little fjords that are too small to see on that map, such that the further you zoom in, the more any one piece of the Northern coast looks like all of the Northern coast.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

We are talking about a world that is literally flat and is surrounded by The Land of Make-Believe. Plausible doesn't enter into the equation.

I know but, well, it's at least looking more like an actual map than "trees to the east, ice to the north, desert to the south, and a whole lot of ocean with a few Islands in the west." Then again, I might not be remembering 2E's map all that well.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Bedlamdan posted:

I know but, well, it's at least looking more like an actual map than "trees to the east, ice to the north, desert to the south, and a whole lot of ocean with a few Islands in the west." Then again, I might not be remembering 2E's map all that well.

You've got it right. 2E's maps were downright desolate.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It almost looks like an incomplete mirror image, if you draw a diagonal line to separate about the lower right hand third from the rest.

I wonder if that's deliberate.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Check out this big cutie pie:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Deathlords... I hate those guys.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I find them strangely haunting, and seductive.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I like how they stuck with his 1st ed appearance. He looked like the First and Forsaken Lion's little brother in 2nd edition.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Looks like his entourage just wants the photo shoot to end so they can go home.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Help my dumb rear end out, which Deathlord is that, Mask of Winters?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Gilok posted:

It's Irresistible Passion Spectre

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I would kill for some sort of graphic to show what chapters are done or how many chapters they are expecting and how far along they are to their final print. Anything man. :(

Instead its like "Were still working on this stuff, so... here is a picture though so there is that."

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Gilok posted:

It's Mask of Winters, yes.

The background's a bit familiar looking:

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 18, 2013

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Bardlebee posted:

I would kill for some sort of graphic to show what chapters are done or how many chapters they are expecting and how far along they are to their final print. Anything man. :(

Instead its like "Were still working on this stuff, so... here is a picture though so there is that."

I'd guess the charm section is the least complete, and the intro and storyteller sections are probably most complete.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Bedlamdan posted:

It's Mask of Winters, yes.

The background's a bit familiar looking:

Why are Solid Snake and Meryl working for the Guild?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

A_Raving_Loon posted:

PHILANTHROPY got its budget cut as an anti-warstrider group was too evocative of the "magitech" in 2E, and Snake needs his medicine.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I'm sorry I think you mean Big Boss and Meryl. :cheeky:

Also apparently there was some backstory teased out for Meryl over there, she's one of the signature Liminals and was stitched together from the parts of six different women. All six women worshiped a forest-god, the god sought to apply the principles of Voltron to create the ultimate worshiper by haphazardly combining parts of them and bringing the corpse back to life. Then the resulting Liminal became irate upon learning the circumstances of her birth, killed the god, and now does mercenary work for the Guild.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm sorry I think you mean Big Boss and Meryl. :cheeky:

Also apparently there was some backstory teased out for Meryl over there, she's one of the signature Liminals and was stitched together from the parts of six different women. All six women worshiped a forest-god, the god sought to apply the principles of Voltron to create the ultimate worshiper by haphazardly combining parts of them and bringing the corpse back to life. Then the resulting Liminal became irate upon learning the circumstances of her birth, killed the god, and now does mercenary work for the Guild.

That is a pretty awesome backstory for a Liminal I have to say.

It's also good to see that Liminals can look human and aren't inherently monstrous.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Excelsiortothemax posted:

It's also good to see that Liminals can look human and aren't inherently monstrous.
But what about... their souls? Or perhaps it is mankind who are the real monsters...

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There supposed to be like Prometheans, who look normal most of the time but look all Frankenstein/whatever when they're either using a lot of their cool powerz or freaking out. I'd wager that under their anima banner Liminals show off their corpses.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Eh I like it better if they look a little monstrous. Lord knows we've already got what like 5 factions of exalts that are basically anime sexgods. Wouldn't hurt to have one that's got some neck bolts and arm stitches. At least one that doesn't live in a far off robot god belly.

I guess I'm glad it can work either way.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I was regularly checking up he Ex3 Developer posts on the forums and I just saw this reply from holden (In a thread about people taking their own opinions of various exalted factions as cannon) which gave me pause:

Holden posted:

semicasual posted:

Lunars are ludicrously promiscuous.
That one's totally true.

Could we like avoid this, can I have my awesome warrior beast men without Massive amounts of loving so I can play this around actual living breathing sane people.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Stormgale posted:

I was regularly checking up he Ex3 Developer posts on the forums and I just saw this reply from holden (In a thread about people taking their own opinions of various exalted factions as cannon) which gave me pause:

Could we like avoid this, can I have my awesome warrior beast men without Massive amounts of loving so I can play this around actual living breathing sane people.

Welcome to a world called Exalted. *whipcrack*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

theironjef posted:

Eh I like it better if they look a little monstrous. Lord knows we've already got what like 5 factions of exalts that are basically anime sexgods. Wouldn't hurt to have one that's got some neck bolts and arm stitches. At least one that doesn't live in a far off robot god belly.

I guess I'm glad it can work either way.

I think the best option is just to let Liminals be App 0 ala Abyssals and look obviously monstrous as a result.

Stormgale posted:

Yeah, I'd like that too. :sigh:

That said, I don't think that a statement about Lunar promiscuity will mean that awesome warrior beast men will be second fiddle to Creepy Steve Antics. We will probably get some embarrassing lines out of it though.

• Locked thread