Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
As a person who's tired of waiting for replies, I want to go directly to the place and give them my resume. However, I have no idea what kind of job I would want, just that I would love working for them, and learn from their organization(social advocacy, etc.). Anyone have any tips for this? Should I even do this? Suit up? My degree is in Bio but I have plenty of volunteer work under my belt.

Someone who knows what they are doing, help me :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Is it a nonprofit advocacy? Where is it? Local culture has a big role in deciding.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

Asproigerosis posted:

Hi I was wondering if you guys could give me some opinions on my situation with a job. I applied to a job out in Juneau, Alaska. The director of the entire diagnostic imaging/respiratory therapy departments called me and emailed me a reply to the application after roughly 2 hours of me submitting it. She wanted me to provide some professional references (I left that section blank on the application) and wants to set up a phone call next week. She also cc'd our emails to a department coordinator and a person that works the same position I am applying for.

I'd post the emails but they kinda give a wall of text. In short, the position requires that I would have to cross train in other imaging modalities, which is something I absolutely want to do. She was even aware of the fact that I live in Delaware! I've had quite a few places not really read my resume I guess as they think I live in New York or my name is Alex.

Basically I am probably underqualified for the position. I recently graduated with a bachelors in radiologic sciences for radiography and have a previous associates in nuclear medicine. I do not have any work experience in the field and typically what I have seen from similiar listings is that they usually want people with multiple certifications (which I have) and 3-5+ years experience (which I do not). It certainly appears as though they've read my resume/application and are aware of these things. I feel like I'm getting too optimistic about my chances, especially since they responded to me so incredibly fast. Maybe I'm the only applicant?

On paper I'm an odd-ish choice for the job I just got hired for, as well. Some places are looking for more than a resume that has enough stuff on it to get through the HR software filters, so just go with it and you might surprise yourself. You can always say no if you think you'll be that far in over your head.

Some places are even willing to actually train you if you are an entry-level person! :eek:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Operating Rod posted:

On paper I'm an odd-ish choice for the job I just got hired for, as well. Some places are looking for more than a resume that has enough stuff on it to get through the HR software filters, so just go with it and you might surprise yourself. You can always say no if you think you'll be that far in over your head.

Some places are even willing to actually train you if you are an entry-level person! :eek:

True, and in my specific case it helps that alaska doesn't exactly have a huge population or even any schools for the qualifications that I hold (not that it'd technically matter as the state doesn't require licensing either). I guess now I'm just scared that they are misreading something on my resume because the hundreds of other applications I've done have happily ignored me completely and for this one to be jumping on me strikes me as something gone wrong.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's Alaska, stop overthinking it and just focus on your interviewing skills and brushing up on relevant material.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Looks like my long wait for an entry-level position may finally be over. I got interviewed at Lowe's to be promoted from "seasonal cashier" to "permanent part-time cashier". Looks like the awesome career in retail management that my grandparents keep goading me into may become a reality in a few short years.

Otherwise, all job prospects in the engineering field seem pretty nil, especially with my financial situation such that I can't affoard "refresher" courses, or apply for a Master's. At least I talked my folks into buying me a computer I can tinker around with Autodesk and feel good that I still know what I'm doing; even when nobody thinks I do. Maybe by the time I retire I'll be making $45k a year like an entry level engineer. Ah, oh am I kidding. I'll still be making $9/hr unless minimum wage goes to $10.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Welp, the employer never called me back after saying that he would talk to his team about bringing me in. He said he would call me "Tuesday, at the latest" and would want to bring me in later this week for salary negotiations. I know I should call them up to see what's up, but should i do it today or tomorrow?

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

Welp, the employer never called me back after saying that he would talk to his team about bringing me in. He said he would call me "Tuesday, at the latest" and would want to bring me in later this week for salary negotiations. I know I should call them up to see what's up, but should i do it today or tomorrow?

Today. Or tomorrow. I don't think this matters. Good luck.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Just got 3 rejection emails from 3 positions I applied for at a local hospital for casual/relief, one shift a month positions. I can't even get a phone interview for 4 hours a month work with two college degrees :smith:

What's a good trade profession these days? I've been thinking maybe I could try welding...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Asproigerosis posted:

What's a good trade profession these days? I've been thinking maybe I could try welding...

Commercial HVAC & Refrigeration. People gotta keep their homes and their restaurants cool. I've been helping my Uncle and his refrigeration company on and off, and it's usually pretty good work, though slow in the winter. Or learn to be a boiler tech, good money in that.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

About a week ago I got an email asking to schedule a phone interview for a company I'm really interested in working for. I replied back within a few hours but didn't get a response. After a few days, I sent another email but still no response. Do I have any other options left? I applied through an employee referral, but I'm not sure if I should enlist her help or just leave a passive-aggressive review on Glassdoor.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
In this case I would ask your friend to look into it. Two emails is about right, after that it might come across as pestering. It's possible they found another candidate, decided against filling the position, or have just been to busy to set up phone interviews.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Just posting this because a similar post helped me keep from feeling despondent a few months ago.

I graduated in June and had been applying to lots of positions in my field since late march. I just landed a good job in the field I was looking for with no previous work experience in the industry. So all of those people who feel like they're screwed because they didn't do a bunch of internships and have just graduated and are looking for work, I was there and I managed to land a position though a blind internet application, without any connection to the company or anyone who works there. It can be done! It was rough on my psyche (and self-esteem), but nobody said applying for jobs is fun.

I applied to >60 positions, had ~10 phone interviews, and 4 in-person interviews (2 for the position I got hired for, 2 for roles that I didn't end up getting).

That said, I'd wager it would have been lots easier if I'd gotten internships and/or grunt-work jobs in my field while still in school.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Are there any good ways to learn stuff like Quickbook Pro, Accounts Payable / Receivable, etc. without actually working at a job that requires it? It's getting to the point where every single entry level job I can find wants experience and knowledge of some specific system that you would really only know if you've worked that kind of job before. Hoping there's some kind of free online tutorial program or something so I can look more qualified on paper and at least have some idea of what I'm doing.

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Honey Badger posted:

Are there any good ways to learn stuff like Quickbook Pro, Accounts Payable / Receivable, etc. without actually working at a job that requires it? It's getting to the point where every single entry level job I can find wants experience and knowledge of some specific system that you would really only know if you've worked that kind of job before. Hoping there's some kind of free online tutorial program or something so I can look more qualified on paper and at least have some idea of what I'm doing.

There are some great sites on the internet to learn software.
https://www.udemy.com/ (is a charge one but it is easy to find coupons to get free course)

EVERYONE who wants to work a corporate job should learn excel.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Honey Badger posted:

Are there any good ways to learn stuff like Quickbook Pro, Accounts Payable / Receivable, etc. without actually working at a job that requires it?

Lynda is the go-to for a lot of office software tutorials. It's not free, but keep cheap enough that you could do it while being unemployed/still a student.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TotallyGreen posted:

Just posting this because a similar post helped me keep from feeling despondent a few months ago.

I graduated in June and had been applying to lots of positions in my field since late march. I just landed a good job in the field I was looking for with no previous work experience in the industry. So all of those people who feel like they're screwed because they didn't do a bunch of internships and have just graduated and are looking for work, I was there and I managed to land a position though a blind internet application, without any connection to the company or anyone who works there. It can be done! It was rough on my psyche (and self-esteem), but nobody said applying for jobs is fun.

I applied to >60 positions, had ~10 phone interviews, and 4 in-person interviews (2 for the position I got hired for, 2 for roles that I didn't end up getting).

That said, I'd wager it would have been lots easier if I'd gotten internships and/or grunt-work jobs in my field while still in school.

Internships definitely help. Otherwise you end up with my score; 3.5 years since graduation, innumerable applications, 0 interviews in-field, 2 interviews for other engineering positions, 1 interview for a 'related' technical position, 0 job offers, being rejected for any non-technical salaried position because they're afraid I'll leave in two weeks for an engineering position, 10 out of 10 recruiters telling me I'm unhireable, and one "mentor" telling me I should quit my day job and go door-to-door until someone will let me work for them without pay. That's why I'm stuck "celebrating" my promotion from part-time seasonal to part-time permanent at Lowe's.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
Receptionist said he was on the phone and he would email me. So red flags there. Looks like I'm going to be unemployed for the rest of the summer.

YF19pilot posted:

Internships definitely help. Otherwise you end up with my score; 3.5 years since graduation, innumerable applications, 0 interviews in-field, 2 interviews for other engineering positions, 1 interview for a 'related' technical position, 0 job offers, being rejected for any non-technical salaried position because they're afraid I'll leave in two weeks for an engineering position, 10 out of 10 recruiters telling me I'm unhireable, and one "mentor" telling me I should quit my day job and go door-to-door until someone will let me work for them without pay. That's why I'm stuck "celebrating" my promotion from part-time seasonal to part-time permanent at Lowe's.

I agree that Internships help for landing an interview. I think it goes Relevant Work Experience>Internships>School Projects>School Activities. I landed 1 phone interview so far and I graduated 7 months ago without an internship. Gonna suck looking for another interview but hey, maybe I'll get lucky. :shepicide:

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

Why didn't you do a co-op or internship when you were in school? I was a Philosophy major and worked for my student paper, freelanced for professional publications, and got an internship. Now I'm working as a copywriter.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

GiveUpNed posted:

Why didn't you do a co-op or internship when you were in school? I was a Philosophy major and worked for my student paper, freelanced for professional publications, and got an internship. Now I'm working as a copywriter.

I didn't because I just wasn't really encouraged to...I worked 20-30 hours a week along with going to class like 25-30 hours a week and none of my professors or advisors ever encouraged us to reach out to internships. Co-ops were not an option. I think my school's career center is just for show because I've never actually seen it or anyone who works there, but they do have a website. In retrospect, I wish I took more initiative to do those internships and cut down on my classes because I'm seriously struggling to find a job in the field I want to be in.

Also - question. I'm thinking of applying to a position and the site says to contact the Human Resources Department for the most current openings. Can I drop a professional email asking for more information or should I send my resume and cover letter along with it?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Ask for more information, include a resume. You could include a cover letter if you feel you have enough information on the company to write a decent one.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GiveUpNed posted:

Basically this:

Shnooks posted:

I didn't because I just wasn't really encouraged to...I worked 20-30 hours a week along with going to class like 25-30 hours a week and none of my professors or advisors ever encouraged us to reach out to internships. Co-ops were not an option. I think my school's career center is just for show because I've never actually seen it or anyone who works there, but they do have a website. In retrospect, I wish I took more initiative to do those internships and cut down on my classes because I'm seriously struggling to find a job in the field I want to be in.

and add in family pressure to "come home get a summer job" and a fear of not being able to house or feed myself while on an internship (I don't come from a family with a lot of money, and couldn't have afforded to support me if I were to spend a summer working away from home). There is also a strong ring-knocker mentality at my school that doesn't really exist beyond the campus boundaries.

But I've already been over this point a few times in this thread. I do regret not taking any internships, and if I had to do it again, I would. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the consequences, a part-time hourly wage-slave job at a big-box store that is going to be cutting hours as the summer ends, no money to pursue "enhancing" my education, and a dim outlook on any future prospects.

Doesn't mean I've quit. At the moment I'm trying to build a small portfolio of 3D models using AutoCAD/Autodesk (free software! that's legal!) and if I can scrimp enough together I'll try to get a website up to showcase some of what I can do. Otherwise, trying to work what little connections I have, but that's still proving to be a dry prospect as well.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 18, 2013

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

GiveUpNed posted:

You could also be like me where you had plenty of undergraduate internships (three) but decided to change directions and now none of them apply. :eng99: Yes, you could "sell yourself in the right direction" but that only takes you so far when you compete with people actually in the right direction.

ONEMANWOLFPACK
Apr 27, 2010
I have 5 internships and 4 jobs in my undergrad. You don't get points and they don't automatically accumulate. It's honestly just luck and getting into the right company in the right position at the right time.

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

ONEMANWOLFPACK posted:

I have 5 internships and 4 jobs in my undergrad. You don't get points and they don't automatically accumulate. It's honestly just luck and getting into the right company in the right position at the right time.
People look at internships so strangely now. Interning itself is not an on-ramp, the skills you supposedly learn are the on-ramp. If you aren't learning anything as an intern or co-op, something is probably wrong and you should be talking with your supervisor.

I think the real problem with internships is that nobody knows how to manage an intern well. It's not easy.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Fortunately I have a full time job in something I don't give a crap about in something completely unrelated to my degree, but when I was in school my dream was to work in a museum and my professors told me I should basically give up :sigh: so they didn't really encourage me to reach out and get experience. I mean, they were partially right - getting a job in a museum or gallery is really loving hard, but I know I can do it, it'll just take a while and I'll have to work towards it, but it would have been nice to have some encouragement or something.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Shnooks posted:

Fortunately I have a full time job in something I don't give a crap about in something completely unrelated to my degree, but when I was in school my dream was to work in a museum and my professors told me I should basically give up :sigh: so they didn't really encourage me to reach out and get experience. I mean, they were partially right - getting a job in a museum or gallery is really loving hard, but I know I can do it, it'll just take a while and I'll have to work towards it, but it would have been nice to have some encouragement or something.

Not sure if you have a preference, but there were some opening posted in the "job openings" thread for the Lemay Car Museum.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Operating Rod posted:

People look at internships so strangely now. Interning itself is not an on-ramp, the skills you supposedly learn are the on-ramp. If you aren't learning anything as an intern or co-op, something is probably wrong and you should be talking with your supervisor.

I think the real problem with internships is that nobody knows how to manage an intern well. It's not easy.

I agree, I think some people think of getting a job as an extension of school. On my record I show I took Physics 101, so now I can enroll in Physics 102. Likewise, on my record I show B.S. Mechanical Engineer so now I can enroll in Mechanical Engineer 1 at <Company>!

The first thought in getting a job should be "How can I add value to the company?" Think of it like one of those Russian dolls, that phrase is painted on the outside. Then you open to the next layer and it is "I can add value because I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering". Then the next one "In my studies as a Mechanical Engineer I extensively used AutoCAD to design a two-stroke engine and create a prototype as my Senior project." Well there you go now you have a leg up at GM in their internal R&D department for the Mechanical Engineer 1 job opportunity. You have demonstrated you have the skills, knowledge, and desire.

The problem is a lot of entry level jobs require you to be good at selling those skills. Typically in entry level it is "Does this person have a good head on their shoulders AND seem like they are genuinely interested in what they will be doing". People aren't quite sure what type of a worker you will be, so you need to pull from EVERYWHERE to get examples as your history is so small.

I'm reminded of a college professor who had little summer job open, nothing crazy. He said to go as far as to tell them if you've taken apart a bike before. Why? Because it shows you have at least done something other than attend class and test well. In that sense, maybe you didn't have any internships, but do you go home and play games and drink, or do you have a pet project in CAD? If you like museums do you try to regularly go to them and study the exhibits? If you are into business is there a businessman/woman/philosopher you know everything about and look up to. I.E. can you show passion for what you spent all that time and money for.

That passion goes a long way. A lot of people have degrees now. Some employers will play the check box game and go down the list, but the ones I've been at take the time(during interviews at least) to get to know the person and see what they are passionate about. The two people above me have got it going, find that passion and work on it!

Also be prepared to have to search outside your comfort zone if you are in a rut! My buddy had MS in Economics and couldn't find a job in Boston so he had to go all the way to Denver!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Crazyweasel posted:

Also be prepared to have to search outside your comfort zone if you are in a rut! My buddy had MS in Economics and couldn't find a job in Boston so he had to go all the way to Denver!

That's one thing that always throws me off, when I tell people what kind of work I want to do, they'll start saying things like "I'm not sure you'll find that kind of work around here" or "Have you checked in other cities or considered out of state?"; as though this is some new and novel idea I never heard of. I look for a job with a basic understanding that I will have to relocate to wherever it is, maybe even Dubai.

e: though if I could find the financial support for it, I'd move to Wichita or Seattle in a heartbeat to try to get in doing something with aviation. Most of the aviation shops around here don't do design, and are here for when someone farms out a quick prototype or milling job. I've spoken with a few VPs and owners in the area, and few are interested in a CAD monkey, even less in bringing on an engineer.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 18, 2013

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Crazyweasel posted:

In that sense, maybe you didn't have any internships, but do you go home and play games and drink, or do you have a pet project in CAD? If you like museums do you try to regularly go to them and study the exhibits? If you are into business is there a businessman/woman/philosopher you know everything about and look up to. I.E. can you show passion for what you spent all that time and money for.

This sounds really dumb, but how do you even express that in a resume? I'd feel like a total dweeb putting under skills, "Regulary visits local museums and has visited (museum A), (museum B), and (museum C)!" Of course in my cover letter I end up going on and on about museums and art if I'm not careful, but I'm definitely the kind of person where people can tell how passionate I am about things in person better than in writing.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Shnooks posted:

This sounds really dumb, but how do you even express that in a resume? I'd feel like a total dweeb putting under skills, "Regulary visits local museums and has visited (museum A), (museum B), and (museum C)!" Of course in my cover letter I end up going on and on about museums and art if I'm not careful, but I'm definitely the kind of person where people can tell how passionate I am about things in person better than in writing.

It's good you bring this up. I meant to add a disclaimer at the bottom that most my advice is when you have one foot in the door(ie interview). I'm not exactly sure how you word on a resume but hopefully Mr. Duvet can help with that!!

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I've heard it suggested a few times that if you're applying to jobs in another state you should put down a local address on your applications (ideally a friend's). How does that work exactly? Are you trying to straight-up deceive the company that you live nearby? And if they want you to come in for an interview, do you just suck it up and pay for the plane ticket out of your own pocket?

I'm asking because I live in Seattle and am applying to jobs in Boston, where my sister lives. I'm not sure whether I should use her address as my own or just mention in the cover letter that relocation shouldn't be a problem.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ron Don Volante posted:

I've heard it suggested a few times that if you're applying to jobs in another state you should put down a local address on your applications (ideally a friend's). How does that work exactly? Are you trying to straight-up deceive the company that you live nearby? And if they want you to come in for an interview, do you just suck it up and pay for the plane ticket out of your own pocket?

I'm asking because I live in Seattle and am applying to jobs in Boston, where my sister lives. I'm not sure whether I should use her address as my own or just mention in the cover letter that relocation shouldn't be a problem.

I believe the idea is to get past whatever automatic screener or protocol rejects non-local addresses out of hand. I don't think it's advised to lie to a real person.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Xguard86 posted:

I believe the idea is to get past whatever automatic screener or protocol rejects non-local addresses out of hand. I don't think it's advised to lie to a real person.

Ah, I see. Would I be fine just not putting an address on my resume?

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Ron Don Volante posted:

I would use her address, but then be very upfront with anyone you speak to. The point is to not get auto-rejected. If they have 200 applicants for the job, but only want to call 20, any small issue can get your resume thrown in the trash before they consider you seriously.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ron Don Volante posted:

Ah, I see. Would I be fine just not putting an address on my resume?

prob what the guy above said. Put her's and if they ask say its your sister so you could stay there while you get settled so relocating isn't a big deal "blah blah blah".

Blank might be OK but I know some places do check and will question someone trying to commute from the boonies or out of town. I don't think its ever been a reason for denial but usually a question in the interview to make sure you aren't insane or something.

Crew Expendable
Jan 1, 2013

Operating Rod posted:

Companies now look at internships as an on ramp or "proof of not-a-total-fuckup," at least in the sciences. I graduate in August and it's been impossible for me (and anyone else in my major) to find a job without having interned at a company. I've done research in the same lab my entire time at college, have a few publications, and have learned tons of skills and experience with equipment. Plus, our lab is quite large and we do applied research that is really industry R&D, not abstract academic research. Companies just don't seem to care. Every time I've been to an on campus career fair, company HR workers always ask if I've done an internship with a company. When I tell them I've done undergraduate research they mentally check out, even when I make sure to explain that my research experience was basically an internship. I even explain that we actually did have a (small) profit motive.

I've applied to jobs where I am a perfect fit. I tailor my resume and cover letter to the job. I could literally show up that afternoon and just started working, no training required, and I never hear back. :( My friends who have gotten internships, however, have all gotten jobs, even if the internship was with a petroleum company and their new job is medical diagnostics.

So my advice is: get a loving internship while you can! Also, network*. I learned too late that experience in academia doesn't count for much in the corporate world. I originally wanted to go to graduate school and didn't change my mind until the last minute. I would have been better off if I had at least done an internship one summer and undergraduate research the rest.

*I also learned this too late. 'Networking' is the polite way of saying 'nepotism/cronyism.' Use any connections your friends/family/friends of family/professors have to get a job. Anything to bypass throwing your resume down the black hole that is the online job application. :suicide:

Fake edit: I didn't mean to sound so negative. I just want give advice that that I wish someone told me. :shobon: Some incoming freshman and his parents were on campus for new-student orientation and asked me where some building was and if I had any advice... I tried to make sure I didn't vomit warnings all over him. Also, online job applications are pissing me off because the 'careers' part of the company website is invariably straight out of the early 90's and complains that I should update my browser to IE6 or some poo poo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

You really do need an internship or relevant work experience in your field (and internships are the easiest way to get that). Consider it part of your degree.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
The previous two posters are exactly right. Here's how you make your own luck and get a good/decent job in your field: (1) have a degree related to your field, (2) have substantive experience related to your field, (3) know some people in your field. It's really that simple, and although some people manage to get jobs while only meeting one or two of those criteria, you don't want to take the risk of not being one of them. There will always be a strong element of luck to job hunting, but if you set yourself up to meet those three criteria, you're stacking the deck in your favor. The easiest way to meet all three criteria is to do an internship while getting your degree (or immediately thereafter, although that's not ideal). It will give you relevant experience and it will give you the opportunity to meet people in your field. Whether or not you get "substantive" experience or make something of the people you meet is largely up to you.

Now, people say "network," and for people just starting out in their careers, it's difficult to know exactly what that entails. I spent a lot of my last two years in school going around asking people how the gently caress to network. It's not handing out thousands of business cards, it's not obsessively keeping a database of birthday information on every person you meet, and it's not having hundreds upon hundreds of shallow acquaintances. It's making a strong and positive impression and maintaining some level of contact with that person thereafter.

If you do an internship with a company, you're probably going to be working with between five and ten people on a regular basis. Maybe more, maybe less. Those are the people who are really going to become part of your personal network going forward. I don't care if they're also interns. I don't care if they're not in a managerial position with hiring authority now. You need to work hard, show initiative, surpass expectations, and impress them.

You're probably going to get tedious work assignments initially, and there's no real way to "show initiative" when you're doing routine data entry. However, if you do the job quickly, efficiently, correctly, and then ask for additional work instead of waiting for more work to come to you, it won't take long before you're in a position where you can actually demonstrate your ability. You don't need to be best friends with the people you're working with regularly, but they should remember you fondly after you're gone and want to work with you again. If you forge that kind of relationship with people, it won't be that hard to keep in touch with them thereafter. They'll want to hear from you.

It's that kind of relationship that you can leverage to get a job, not a shallow acquaintance relationship of, "Oh, John? Yeah, he grabbed some files for me a couple of times from my office. Gave me his business card and sent me a Facebook friend request." You should absolutely strive to make a good impression on everyone you meet, because there's no reason not to, but that's just not a strong enough relationship for networking. When that guy has a job opening, he's just not going to think of you unless his own personal network is virtually non-existent (and it isn't). You need more frequent and more substantive contact with someone than that for them to become a good networking contact.

I'm not trying to pretend to be the Networking Master or the Career Expert or something like that, but I can say that this approach worked for me. I graduated in the second week of May with a liberal arts bachelor's degree and I received a full-time, salaried job offer in my field with benefits two weeks later. I'm sure it was my strong relationship with someone at the company (met her at my internship at a different company, she was actually a receptionist at the time, she's a manager now at this company) that changed my status from "solid candidate" to "top candidate."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

Crew Expendable posted:

Companies now look at internships as an on ramp or "proof of not-a-total-fuckup," at least in the sciences. I graduate in August and it's been impossible for me (and anyone else in my major) to find a job without having interned at a company.

I mean, I get what you're saying and agree with it, but I think actually getting hired at the end of an internship by that same company is so industry-dependant and company-dependant that you have to treat it as a (necessary) learning experience instead of internship = job, and that at the end of the day you are still trying to convince hiring managers of what your skills and potential are. I was a co-op with a company for over a year, took over for a full-time employee when they got promoted, and then trained my replacement co-op when HR stepped in because I had been extended past what corporate policy allowed. They saw interns as a way to get manpower without impacting headcount or paying benefits, and just replaced them as necessary. They stopped major hiring out of the intern pool like six years ago or something (company is in a "headcount reduction" right now).

This was one of the absolute biggest/best companies in the US, mind you. But the northeast is brutal right now, ymmv, etc.

Internships are vitally necessary but I guess what I meant was that I think people get hung up on this idea that you get an internship to get a job, and then go crazy when they don't get hired because OMFG, I have all this internship experience why doesn't anyone call back?

I think looking at yourself honestly and focusing on what value you add to a company is how you can best stack the deck. Experience with or in the industry is the best indicator I've seen for entry-level jobs, myself - you can teach someone a process. That's kind of trivial, and you're supposed to be a blank page anyway straight out of college or whatever. You can't teach someone how an industry operates with workstep instructions.

• Locked thread