Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

PaganGoatPants posted:

I am in need of an electric kettle. Mine just died. I don't need anything that keeps the water hot all day or anything, just a simple one that won't break. Any recommendations?
Definitely go with a Zojirushi brand water boiler. I have the CD-JUC30FS Micom 3-Liter.

Yes, they're a bit pricey, but they have fantastic build quality, they're easy to clean, and operate quietly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Seconding the Zojirushi brand.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

clockworx posted:

I tried a ton of various automatic ones and they were hit and miss. This is what we've been using for years now and it is a good compromise.

http://www.omegapaw.com/products/roll-clean-litter-box.html

I can't say i'd ever recommend this. The seal on the top was never very good for me and when ever i rolled it litter dust would go all over my laundry room :( Ended up with a cat genie for a few years and now i've had a litter robot for about 5 months.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PaganGoatPants posted:

I am in need of an electric kettle. Mine just died. I don't need anything that keeps the water hot all day or anything, just a simple one that won't break. Any recommendations?

For a slightly more reasonable option, I'd suggest this Oster 1.7L variable temperature electric kettle. It has pretty much all of the features of the Cuisinart model neongray posted (minus the "stays on when removed from base") for $40-50. Set the temperature from 110-212 at 10 degree intervals (aside from 200-212) and it heats the water pretty drat fast.

mysunshine
May 25, 2004

calandryll posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a pillow for a stomach sleeper? I've tried the ones that say for stomach sleepers and I'm not a fan of them.

Ikea Gosaraps. Ikea pillows are great, and I find this one to be perfect for being a stomach sleeper.

They have one with a gray stripe around it that's a bit firmer, but I recommend the plain one with white piping.

I know it says side sleeper, but I love it

mysunshine has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Jul 10, 2013

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there a nice face dermobrasive (?) cloth I can use in the shower occasionally or should I just get one from my local drug store? Should I even use one? I only ask because I used some body soap for the first time in at least half a year and all this dead skin ended up coming off in the shower. Nothing bad happened from not using soap for that long, no skin abnormalities or stink or anything except for some dead skin buildup apparently.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Dudebro posted:

Is there a nice face dermobrasive (?) cloth I can use in the shower occasionally or should I just get one from my local drug store? Should I even use one? I only ask because I used some body soap for the first time in at least half a year and all this dead skin ended up coming off in the shower. Nothing bad happened from not using soap for that long, no skin abnormalities or stink or anything except for some dead skin buildup apparently.

Skincare Megathread might be a better place to ask in case you don't get one here.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Dudebro posted:

I use the Korean style ones, which I got from the Korean supermarket for $2. You can also find them on Amazon or eBay by searching "Korean Italy towel".

Does anyone have a good sweatproof 1Phone5 armband/carrying device for workouts? I'll mostly be using it while lifting weights but I'd like to take it on runs too.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Holy poo poo guys I don't know if you were aware but it's the middle of July and it's hot as gently caress!

What's the best ~500 square ft. AC? Either portable or window-mounted would work - I'd prefer portable for the convenience of not accidentally dropping it out of my 3rd-story window, but I'm guessing they cost a bit more. So something both efficient and foolproof would be good :)

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

taco show posted:

I use the Korean style ones, which I got from the Korean supermarket for $2. You can also find them on Amazon or eBay by searching "Korean Italy towel".

Is it okay to use these on your face? The one I found on amazon says "not recommended for facial scrubbing" yet the package has a woman scrubbing her face with the cloth.

syrairc
Sep 13, 2006
wait what

melon cat posted:

I'm looking for a good webcam. The built-in one in my laptop just isn't cutting it anymore, but I have no idea what I should be looking for in a webcam! Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that has good video AND audio quality.

This Logitech cam is the best one I've ever used. Video is great and the microphone is ridiculously good for a webcam.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Does anyone have a good site for ordering vintage map prints (or cheap vintage maps)? I picked up an interwar world map (post-Anschluss, pre-Munich Agreement) at Urban Outfitters in September and just found a late 1860s world print at Target, but I get the feeling I've about exhausted national retailers' supply of old maps.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
There are 1879 reproductions available at ArtSource International, from 1154 to about 1996. That should keep you busy for a while. You might also like Historic Map Works or Historic Maps Restored.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

syrairc posted:

This Logitech cam is the best one I've ever used. Video is great and the microphone is ridiculously good for a webcam.
Seconding this. Very good image quality, and excellent mic.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

syrairc posted:

Yeah I've had a Microsoft lifecam "Studio" AND "Cinema" both crap out on me, I now use a Logitech C525 and the thing is awesome, and Logitech has amazing customer service.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

abraham linksys posted:

Holy poo poo guys I don't know if you were aware but it's the middle of July and it's hot as gently caress!

What's the best ~500 square ft. AC? Either portable or window-mounted would work - I'd prefer portable for the convenience of not accidentally dropping it out of my 3rd-story window, but I'm guessing they cost a bit more. So something both efficient and foolproof would be good :)

Every couple of weeks Woot has sales on refurbed portable A/C units. I got a 12k BTU Sharp last year for $230 from them.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Dudebro posted:

Is it okay to use these on your face? The one I found on amazon says "not recommended for facial scrubbing" yet the package has a woman scrubbing her face with the cloth.

From my experience there are two types of towels- one is way more abrasive and the other is softer, made with microfiber, and sometimes has this weird mesh on one side. I use the softer one on my face. If there is an H-mart or a Korean spa nearby you they sell them super cheap.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This is an unsolicited product recommendation, but I have to recommend the poo poo out of this portable battery

http://www.amazon.com/External-Battery-Pack-Limeade-L180X/dp/B00C78YJQY

It's a hundred dollars but it is 18000mah. It's fuckin ridiculous what this thing can charge and how fast it does it. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I'm thinking of picking up a refurbished dyson and can't make a decision between these options. I'm oscillating between the DC21 and the more expensive DC23.

I am open to other suggestions but they have to be canister, bagless and less then 350CAD$.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

MasterBuilder posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a refurbished dyson and can't make a decision between these options. I'm oscillating between the DC21 and the more expensive DC23.

I am open to other suggestions but they have to be canister, bagless and less then 350CAD$.

Pretty sure this was rated higher than the Dysons and at a third of the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTu...=vacuum+cleaner

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Etrips posted:

Pretty sure this was rated higher than the Dysons and at a third of the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTu...=vacuum+cleaner

I have an irrational hatred of uprights ever since a Kirby killed my family.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Looking for a lock for public gym lockers. I used to have one of this big heavy rotational ones. Forgot the combination so I tossed it. Around the gym I see much smaller and flatter lock designs that have the 3 digit scroll thingies. Any good ones that won't break in my bag?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Not to provide too much information, but coming from someone who used to do lockpicking a lot in my Highschool and College years: unless you want to spend over a hundred on a lock every lock is about the same level of quality. Basically most even moderately priced locks can be bump keyed or opened with a curved metal shim. Masterlocks and the like are only really good for stopping crimes of opportunity, if someone is coming to open your lock with even the most basic of tools they will open it no problem. The flat locks that you talk about are called Multi Wheel Combo Locks and they are one of the, if not the, first thing any lockpicker will star out on to learn how to pick and manipulate pins, they even sell ones that can randomize combinations just so you can practice on them.

That being said there are a lot of locks that people will avoid simply because picking them is hard or sometimes (depending on the lock) near impossible. The Medeco M3 based locks are very difficult as are most good padlocks made by ASSA and Sargent and Greenleaf. The thing that should comfort you the most is that in a gym locker room it's unlikely someone will be able to dedicate the time to true picking of a lock. You could shim or bump key a lock without being noticed so at the minimum you should buy a lock that has a cover for the tops of where the loop portion slides into the body (shims work by basically placing a thin piece of metal down that area to trick the lock into thinking a key has been inserted). Just DONT BUY A MASTERLOCK is really what I'm trying to say here I guess.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Master Thief Info

I doubt anyone will break into the locker, more likely for someone to break into my car in the parking lot. Anyway, this lock look decent? http://www.amazon.com/Sesamee-K436-Resettable-Combination-Combinations/dp/B001C4TEKU/ref=pd_sim_hi_2

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
You're probably going to want to lock your keychain in your gym locker with the rest of your junk, right? Get a combo lock.

EDIT: Sorry. I looked at the picture of that lock without reading the description. It is a combo lock.

goku chewbacca has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Jul 18, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The combination thing is on the bottom. They don't have another picture for some reason.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
On the subject of locks, I need to buy a bike lock. Are the orange Kryptonite ones my best bet? For reference, I live/bike in downtown Toronto, but the bike I have is not particularly valuable.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Carbon Thief posted:

On the subject of locks, I need to buy a bike lock. Are the orange Kryptonite ones my best bet? For reference, I live/bike in downtown Toronto, but the bike I have is not particularly valuable.

That will require more effort to get to your bike, but if someone wants it they can break it. Don't use those cables as it can be cut in a second.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Carbon Thief posted:

If your bike isn't particularly valuable I would think anything that can't be easily defeated with a bolt cutter should suffice. A petty thief isn't going to waste time on your low-value bike when s/he can simply find one that doesn't require as much effort to steal.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If you really want to keep your bike safe and don't mind weight there is this stuff called "deck chain" that is used in theratical rigging. It has like a wll of like 12k pounds and will destroy most bolt cutters used on it.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Carbon Thief posted:

I would recommend OnGuard Bulldogs, especially the ones with the security cable. They come with a ton of keys which is really nice. I prefer the medium/regular ones over the mini sized as you can get it around stuff like trees and fencing if you don't have an actual bike rack. Lock one of the triangles your frame makes and go through the rear wheel. Use security cable for front wheel. You can also switch to locking skewers for the front and not use the cable for the shorts rides to stores etc.

http://www.performancebike.com/bike...e=c&cagpspn=pla

endee
Oct 16, 2012

Carbon Thief posted:

I also live/bike in downtown Toronto and have a yellow kryptonite (the new york fahgetaboutit) that I bought on amazon.com for like $50. I've used it on both my lovely bike, and my semi-expensive bike and have had no trouble with it and feel completely secure with it! The only con is that it's pretty heavy, but even still, I completely recommend it! I've never seen them at a good price in Canada though, so finding a way to bring one in from the US would be the way to go!...
I also have friends with the orange kryptonite, and haven't heard any complaints about them either...

On another note... I want to buy a pair of hair clippers... I have a mostly buzzed haircut that I want to start maintaining by myself at home... Preferably looking for something in the <100$ range, because I have no reason to believe that I will actually be able to cut my own hair properly and don't want this to be a super expensive waste if I end up doing a terrible job!
Also something that can be used cordlessly and with replaceable blades... Suggestions anybody?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What should I look for in a good soldering iron for PCB work? I need to replace a cherry switch on my keyboard

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

I'm looking for a decent crockpot that I can preferably buy on Amazon Prime.

I'm poor and would only want to spend in the 25-75 range. The reason I'm buying it is I'm poor and I'd like to be able to make a big batch of, say, ham and beans to eat for several meals.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tyler is a joke posted:

I'm looking for a decent crockpot that I can preferably buy on Amazon Prime.

I'm poor and would only want to spend in the 25-75 range. The reason I'm buying it is I'm poor and I'd like to be able to make a big batch of, say, ham and beans to eat for several meals.

Go to Goodwill and get a used Hamilton or Sunbeam. Plug it in and make sure it heats up before leaving. Should be less than $10.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I have a huge one like this one, and it's a behemoth that can hold a ton of food, but those awesome slow cooker liner bags still fit in it. I use it a ton. And I do highly recommend those bags because they are awesome at keeping the slow cooker cleaner.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Looking for a blender just to make smoothies (fruit and veggies). I was looking at the Blendtec or Vita-Mix, but figure that those are both overkill (or are they?) I'm hoping to also use it to shred kale (not necessarily liquify) before boiling it instead of doing it by hand because it's time consuming. Is there something decent that won't break the bank?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've tried a few different models, including an Oster model, before I returned them all and went with a Vitamix. I make a smoothie with it for breakfast every morning and it's one of my favorite kitchen devices.

It probably won't work too well for shredding kale. It blends pretty fast and would liquefy it in seconds.

On that note - put raw kale in smoothies. It's good filler too and if you just put a little it doesn't make it bitter.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Jul 29, 2013

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
EDIT: nvm. Philips Norelco G370.

Illegibly Eligible has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
I have been looking for a particular movie poster but cant find a site that sells one of what i want, is there somewhere online that you can give an image in a JPG format (or similar) and then they can actually print out a poster in say size 27" x 40" for you and send it to you?

• Locked thread