Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Pixeltendo posted:

It's too bad theres no scratch and sniff cards in the e-guide, maybe next generation when they make the Nintendo Smellovision, now you can add one new sense to gaming.

And everyone will have a different wiinose and we can have asynchronous smellplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I imagine there's no less than three ragged Japanese scientists staring at a screen angrily muttering "The smells won't line up, they just won't line up!"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I don't understand why Nintendo didn't hype up this release. Like we all knew the game was going to come out but they should have at least announced a release date to build up some hype. It just came out of nowhere (I mean I'm happy its out but man zero effort on promoting it from Nintendo).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Didn't you hear? Nintendo's going ALL OUT with advertising and promotion now. Here comes their big second-half advertising push! Here it comes!

It's coming!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Didn't you hear? Nintendo's going ALL OUT with advertising and promotion now. Here comes their big second-half advertising push! Here it comes!

It's coming!

Is it weird they released a crazy hyped up trailer for a game they just... put out on the same day? (The Answer is Yes.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Getting a billion fan sites and forums going "ITS OUT TODAY ITS OUT TODAY! :D" is a way to do it as opposed to "As expected, Earthbound is out today. :)"

The Sega Saturn method.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I never got into them as much as I should have. I stuck to the Paper Mario series instead when I should have been playing both. Whenever I can afford a 3DS again I'll probably pick the titles up.
If you plan on getting M&L Dream Team, I would advise against also getting Paper Mario, M&L does everything 10x better.
It's awesome to finally buy Earthbound from the VC, really cool that nintendo put the old players guide online too (and optimized it for the gamepad!)

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 18, 2013

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Getting a billion fan sites and forums going "ITS OUT TODAY ITS OUT TODAY! :D" is a way to do it as opposed to "As expected, Earthbound is out today. :)"

The Sega Saturn method.

Considering Nintendo's track record with pre-announced Virtual Console dates, it would be more like "EarthBound, which was scheduled to come out next week, has been pushed back to fall."

Doing it this way was probably in Nintendo's best interest, since they can't stick to dates at all, for digital or physical releases.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I guess Pikmin 3 dominated Japanese sales with 92,720. Wii U also sold 20,000 due to the Pikmin 3 release compared to only selling 8,251 consoles the week prior. Good signs over there.

Next week the Wii U is supposed to break a million in Japan if the current numbers hold too. I'll be surprised if Pikmin will have legs, though. It's never really been a huge system seller, though it does have the benefit of basically being the only new thing on the system exciting to talk about.

Wondering where the hell the marketing for W101 is. I'll be disappointed if it struggles out the gate, it's a Platinum title and definitely deserves great sales.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

fivegears4reverse posted:

Wondering where the hell the marketing for W101 is. I'll be disappointed if it struggles out the gate, it's a Platinum title and definitely deserves great sales.

Apparently there's going to be a Nintendo Direct focusing completely on W101 so that's something I guess

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope Pikmin 3 sells gangbusters digitally just so maybe the third of those people who go 'oh yeah? alright' on the W101 package deal give it a nice bump.

e: With the 10% I'm getting back on top of that for my premie console, I'm pretty happy about this deal for two games I was gonna get anyhow.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 18, 2013

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I hope Pikmin 3 sells gangbusters digitally just so maybe the third of those people who go 'oh yeah? alright' on the W101 package deal give it a nice bump.

e: With the 10% I'm getting back on top of that for my premie console, I'm pretty happy about this deal for two games I was gonna get anyhow.

is this deal just for Europe? I don't remember seeing it on the mini-direct and was planning on buying both anyway

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
It finally happened. We finally get Earthbound (Mother 2). I know this was posted already but I just had to say something. This is huge. After disapointment after disapointment we finally get something!

I figured it would never happen ever, but it did. And that is a good thing.

If any of you have never played Earthbound, go buy it and play it. It is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. :toot:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah, at first that Pikmin+W101 deal sounded pretty sweet, then I realised that would be 30% off the full retail price of one game, compared to the ~20-25% off both games I'd get just by buying them from Amazon or Shopto or wherever.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah, at first that Pikmin+W101 deal sounded pretty sweet, then I realised that would be 30% off the full retail price of one game, compared to the ~20-25% off both games I'd get just by buying them from Amazon or Shopto or wherever.

Another problem is the hard drive space. I think most of the retail games on the eShop range between 5-15GB. I have to imagine that Pikmin 3 + Wonderful 101 would take up a pretty significant chunk of your 32GB.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Miiverse rules if you want to horrify people with your crazy drawings.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUYnVmlLWjw
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUV52YIeaZw

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 19, 2013

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Help Im Alive posted:

Another problem is the hard drive space. I think most of the retail games on the eShop range between 5-15GB. I have to imagine that Pikmin 3 + Wonderful 101 would take up a pretty significant chunk of your 32GB.

this is when my old backup hard drive from college comes in handy for an additional 500gb!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Hate to drag this up again but man, Nintendo really does have a marketing issue for the Wii U. Saw it first hand for myself today on Facebook:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

robodex posted:

Hate to drag this up again but man, Nintendo really does have a marketing issue for the Wii U. Saw it first hand for myself today on Facebook:

This just proves Nintendo can't leave the console space. Mission Accomplished :smug:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

robodex posted:

What was the context of these comments?

E: Suppose it must have been an Earthbound post.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Apparently there's going to be a Nintendo Direct focusing completely on W101 so that's something I guess

Nintendo Directs are preaching to the choir - they're useless.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Nintendo Directs are preaching to the choir - they're useless.

Gaming sites are allowed to report on things shown in the Directs.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What was the context of these comments?

E: Suppose it must have been an Earthbound post.

Er, yeah, sorry. I mentioned EB was out on the Wii U and he was excited until he realized that the Wii U is a completely new console.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Spectacle Rock posted:

It finally happened. We finally get Earthbound (Mother 2). I know this was posted already but I just had to say something. This is huge. After disapointment after disapointment we finally get something!

I figured it would never happen ever, but it did. And that is a good thing.

If any of you have never played Earthbound, go buy it and play it. It is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. :toot:

I did my part - I bought it! Sure, I've beat the drat game about a hundred times, but... we can legally buy it again! And not spend $200 on a used cart from some sperg in Ohio!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Um, excuse me, but it's obviously still true that Nintendo refuses to acknowledge Earthbound because it has a midi-sounding version of a Beatles song.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Step 2: release translated Mother 3 on Wii U or (preferably) 3DS VC. Also, call it Earthbound 2 for the US release.

I really hope step 2 happens outside my imagination.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Does Earthbound have any new censorship or cut content? I know that a ton of stuff was already altered from its original release as Mother 2, but I was wondering if this really was what held the game back from re-release, as opposed to Nintendo dicking around for seven years.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Spacebump posted:

Step 2: release translated Mother 3 on Wii U or (preferably) 3DS VC. Also, call it Earthbound 2 for the US release.

I really hope step 2 happens outside my imagination.

Well the odds of it happening went from 0% to 0.01% with this release so just maybe...

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

robodex posted:

Wait what? Glorified gameboy? In what way is the Wii U pad remotely like a gameboy? Gameboy had good battery life for one.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Playing Earthbound with my Wii SNES controller feels pretty nice. Is it possible to replace the controller if it breaks or was it a limited thing?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're at Manchester Comic Con this weekend Nintendo are going to have Wonderful 101 playable there.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

Autists everywhere erupt in cheers

that statement is literally wrong because i did not cheer.

cheers.

Dec 26, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Wait what? Glorified gameboy? In what way is the Wii U pad remotely like a gameboy? Gameboy had good battery life for one.

In the sense that people still don't realize it's not just an iPad knockoff/Wii addition instead of a new console.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yep, I'm pretty sure the guy ran a search, saw the Gamepad, and instantly assumed it was a standalone handheld.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It saddens me :negative: Did you correct him robodex? :(

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yep, I'm pretty sure the guy ran a search, saw the Gamepad, and instantly assumed it was a standalone handheld.

Has he been frozen in ice since Earthbound was released...?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Yeah, I told him that it was an entirely new console, but it did sort of underline how terrible the marketing has been for this.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I haven't been keeping up that closely on Smash Brothers, but is it pretty safe to assume that the Classic Controller for Wii would work on it? I'd be shocked if it didn't, but just wanted to make sure Nintendo hasn't said anything to imply the contrary (or if, like, pushing in the sticks is important to the gameplay now or something). I'm thinking of using 2 Wii Classic and 2 Wii U Pro controllers for multiplayer when the game comes out.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Classic has been surprisingly well-supported so far, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't usable for SSB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Minidust posted:

I haven't been keeping up that closely on Smash Brothers, but is it pretty safe to assume that the Classic Controller for Wii would work on it? I'd be shocked if it didn't, but just wanted to make sure Nintendo hasn't said anything to imply the contrary (or if, like, pushing in the sticks is important to the gameplay now or something). I'm thinking of using 2 Wii Classic and 2 Wii U Pro controllers for multiplayer when the game comes out.

You can control the main menu with a Classic Controller. I think it'll be supported.

• Locked thread