Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I loved this episode when I was a kid but watching it again as an adult the whole "rape is okay if the victims end up being okay with it" part kinda unnerved me.

Yeesh, that's true. Milder and Scully do arrest him, but it presents the rapist pretty positively.

maxnmona posted:

Do Not Threaten To Not Show Children The Exact lovely Show Goons Watched As Children And So Have Misplaced Nostalgia For

Lol. I don't know you or your kid, but I demand that you treat yours like I imagine I will treat my hypothetical kid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Over the last 3 years, I've been trying to get Netflix to recommend stuff I like by just rating every single thing I watch 5 stars. It actually seems to be working. I get some pretty high differences between the "average" rating and the "best guess" one. For instance Netflix says the average rating for "Devils on the Doorstep" is 3.4 stars, but it thinks I'd rate it 4.9. Is anyone else having a positive experience with the rating/recommendation engine?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Netflix Streaming: Amateur Film Criticism and Childrearing Tips from Single, Childless Goons

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

Over the last 3 years, I've been trying to get Netflix to recommend stuff I like by just rating every single thing I watch 5 stars. It actually seems to be working. I get some pretty high differences between the "average" rating and the "best guess" one. For instance Netflix says the average rating for "Devils on the Doorstep" is 3.4 stars, but it thinks I'd rate it 4.9. Is anyone else having a positive experience with the rating/recommendation engine?

Seems to work great for me, and I rarely rate content so I assume it looks at viewing habits as well.

Of course, actually showing me things that are rated high for me is a different story. I keep running across things I like on Instantwatcher that I didn't realize were on netflix, only to find out Netflix already thinks I will like it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Thanks, thread, for recommending Happy People: A Year in the Taiga. I really liked it.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

maxnmona posted:

When I was a kid my parents wouldn't let me watch power rangers and I turned out just fine, and nothing about missing that show has made me feel deprived. Relax everyone.
I'm sorry you grew up in NAZI GERMANY!

Old school Power Rangers is great because it's so cheesy. "Five teenagers with attitude", you could see the seams on the costumes, the lovely melding of American footage with Japanese footage... Then once they could afford to have higher production values it was too polished and lost the charm. I wouldn't show it to my hypothetical kids though because I'd like to protect them from my goony nostalgia for lovely 90s television.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

maxnmona posted:

Do Not Threaten To Not Show Children The Exact lovely Show Goons Watched As Children And So Have Misplaced Nostalgia For

What would you say is the proper placement for nostalgia if not on a tv show that you watched and enjoyed as a kid?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

casa de mi padre posted:

I'm sorry you grew up in NAZI GERMANY!

Old school Power Rangers is great because it's so cheesy. "Five teenagers with attitude", you could see the seams on the costumes, the lovely melding of American footage with Japanese footage... Then once they could afford to have higher production values it was too polished and lost the charm. I wouldn't show it to my hypothetical kids though because I'd like to protect them from my goony nostalgia for lovely 90s television.

Heh, my kids discovered it on their own. But that's because they're awesome

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Just show your kids, boy or girl, Jem and the Holograms.

Or a more serious suggestion: Beakman's World

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

http://flavorwire.com/404511/why-is-netflix-secretly-cropping-movies

Apparently Netflix is showing pan-and-scan versions of certain movies wider than 16:9. And it seems to be the distributors' fault, not Netflix's. That's still pretty lousy, though. The linked article has a comparison screenshot from Inglorious Basterds, which was briefly exciting then disappointing.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Mescal posted:

Apparently Netflix is showing pan-and-scan versions of certain movies wider than 16:9. And it seems to be the distributors' fault, not Netflix's. That's still pretty lousy, though. The linked article has a comparison screenshot from Inglorious Basterds, which was briefly exciting then disappointing.
I noticed this watching Funny Games the other night. The bottom portion of the subtitles were even partially clipped off.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Your kids should be watching vintage episodes of Reading Rainbow, AND THAT IS ALL.

Butterfly in the sky, bitches.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Your kids should be watching vintage episodes of Reading Rainbow, AND THAT IS ALL.

Butterfly in the sky, bitches.

I can get twice as high :2bong:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I loved Power Rangers as a kid (my mom was convinced I loved Zordon more than her and she was probably right) but if I had a child who had begun kicking and punching people after watching the show I'd totally understand trying to keep the kid away from it until they grew older. You won't be able to block the show but you could try and hook him onto a different show. Try the original Transformers series, Dexter's Laboratory or maybe something more modern.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

King Vidiot posted:

Just show your kids, boy or girl, Jem and the Holograms.

Or a more serious suggestion: Beakman's World

If anything, Beakman's World is even more of an assault on the attention span than Power Rangers.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TTBF posted:

I loved Power Rangers as a kid (my mom was convinced I loved Zordon more than her and she was probably right) but if I had a child who had begun kicking and punching people after watching the show I'd totally understand trying to keep the kid away from it until they grew older. You won't be able to block the show but you could try and hook him onto a different show. Try the original Transformers series, Dexter's Laboratory or maybe something more modern.
Dexter's Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls are far better shows, that you'll also enjoy as an adult. My dad LOVED watching those shows with me as a kid and I've enjoyed them plenty since, while I know Power Rangers is schlock and will be really hard to watch. Similarly, I'm almost done with the 3rd season of Transformers, and that show is dire. It's strangely compelling and there's some cool characters and voices, but man is that an awful show that only gets weirder and nuttier as it goes on. GI Joe was slightly too bad for me to watch, but Transformers G1 falls into what some would call So Bad It's Good territory.

Also when I was a little kid and I went to church, whenever they talked about God I pictured Zordon. I guess a large floating head in a jar that needs teenagers with attitude is as close to holiness as I ever cared to get.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

manyak posted:

What would you say is the proper placement for nostalgia if not on a tv show that you watched and enjoyed as a kid?

Summer camp

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Haven't found any info on this but does anyone know if some of the Cartoon Network shows are going to extend their episode list? A lot of the shows that were added only had one season, or part of the total episode list like Batman Brave and the Bold. I'd like to check out more Adventure time too but don't want to buy the season sets if they're just going to pop up here in the near future.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Also wearing short pants in the summer, Slip-n'-Slides and sprinklers, those little barrels of fruit juice... I could go on all day. I loved TV shows too, but I actually left the house when I was a kid.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kingtheninja posted:

Haven't found any info on this but does anyone know if some of the Cartoon Network shows are going to extend their episode list?
Yeah, for real! I'm dying for more Regular Show...

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SRM posted:

Dexter's Laboratory and Powerpuff Girls are far better shows, that you'll also enjoy as an adult. My dad LOVED watching those shows with me as a kid and I've enjoyed them plenty since, while I know Power Rangers is schlock and will be really hard to watch. Similarly, I'm almost done with the 3rd season of Transformers, and that show is dire. It's strangely compelling and there's some cool characters and voices, but man is that an awful show that only gets weirder and nuttier as it goes on. GI Joe was slightly too bad for me to watch, but Transformers G1 falls into what some would call So Bad It's Good territory.

Every single 80s toy commercial show was godawful. I am so glad that I don't have nostalgia for them.

Kids these days are lucky because modern kids tv is just fantastic. Aside from the lack of science programming, but they love Mythbusters and now that the whole 90s nostalgia meme is in full force Beakman and Bill Nye are doing as well as ever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Every single 80s toy commercial show was godawful. I am so glad that I don't have nostalgia for them.

Kids these days are lucky because modern kids tv is just fantastic. Aside from the lack of science programming, but they love Mythbusters and now that the whole 90s nostalgia meme is in full force Beakman and Bill Nye are doing as well as ever.

I loved Transformers and G.I. Joe as a kid in the '80s, as well as most superhero cartoons from the '60s through the early '90s. But with the exception of Transformers: The Movie from 1986 (with its better animation, heavier violence, tearful death of Optimus Prime, and "mountains of cocaine" soundtrack), I find all that stuff unwatchable now. I wish those cartoons had aged better, but they were probably just lousy at the time.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I ended up watching the first two episodes of Orange Is The New Black last night. I wasn't expecting much due to the general opinion in this thread, but I rather enjoyed it. The show doesn't really work as a comedy, and if you go in expecting it to be one you're bound to be disappointed. What does work, IMO, is the various character studies of the inmates, the commentary on the absurdities of our justice and penal systems, and the fish-out-of-water drama of Piper trying to integrate into her "new life."

My main complaint is that the flashback scenes just... don't work a lot of the time. For example, in episode 2, the scenes of the events leading up to Red's incarceration provide some interesting insight into her character. By contrast, while I get what the writers were going for with the flashbacks to Piper and her fiancee's attempt at a 7-day juice cleanse, it just doesn't work as an analogy. In other words, it's lazy writing.

Oh, and that's the other thing. Piper's actress and the dude who hosed the pie (I'll never be able to think of him as anyone else, thank you very much Kevin Smith) have no chemistry together on-screen, and I just want to hit the fast-forward button every time they share camera time. Maybe they'll get better as the show goes on.

All in all, however, I would definitely recommend it. I think a lot of the disappointment was just in the way that the series was marketed. Trust me, it's far from a light-hearted comedy, at least as far as the first two episodes go.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Mescal posted:

A small part of me thinks the studios are deliberately poisoning the well so people look elsewhere for movies.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'm sure it's just because Netflix is being sent the HDTV versions of films and not blu-ray/DVD versions

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I loved Transformers and G.I. Joe as a kid in the '80s, as well as most superhero cartoons from the '60s through the early '90s. But with the exception of Transformers: The Movie from 1986 (with its better animation, heavier violence, tearful death of Optimus Prime, and "mountains of cocaine" soundtrack), I find all that stuff unwatchable now. I wish those cartoons had aged better, but they were probably just lousy at the time.

I think they mostly suffer from bad animation. I've watched a couple of Transformers episodes recently and they're not unbearable. Some of the voice acting is fun and my immature love of robots firing lasers at each other and turning into stuff resurfaced quickly. Oddly enough, some of the super blatant new toy episodes are the best like the one introducing Bruticus.

Most of it is rubbish though.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Monkeyseesaw posted:

A small part of me thinks the studios are deliberately poisoning the well so people look elsewhere for movies.

That would require the average viewer to notice enough to care. If anything these versions are probably made for the benefit of the average viewer, who complains about black bars on their fancy widescreen TV.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Erebus posted:

That would require the average viewer to notice enough to care. If anything these versions are probably made for the benefit of the average viewer, who complains about black bars on their fancy widescreen TV.

"Now listen up here sonny! I payed 800 dollars for this fancy 50 inch TV, I want every inch of it filled up"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Personperson14 posted:

"Now listen up here sonny! I payed 800 dollars for this fancy 50 inch TV, I want every inch of it filled up"

It's so weird that even with the wide screen TVs, they're still butchering movies to get rid of those dreaded black bars.

I remember onve being in a Suncoast and trying to talk a woman away from buying the full screen LotR, but Full screen was bigger so that's what she went with.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
I revisited the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon recently, and that was a mistake. (Although the original comics still have some redeeming qualities - the concept and character designs are still pretty charming.)

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Also, not sure if this has come up before, but I've been enjoying Columbo. It's very slow-paced (most episodes are 2 hours), but it has great performances, and is very different from detective shows. Most detective shows now are procedurals, and focus on clues and behind-the-scenes policework. Columbo is more of a character study - Columbo usually guesses the killer early on, then needles the killer until he slips up.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's the writing in the old cartoons that's the worst. Yes, the animation in Transformers is cheap, but the stories that involve aliens who speak only in singing, who for some reason nobody can understand except for two characters (who must repeat every single line of inane dialogue back for everyone to understand) is just atrocious. Or the episode where for some reason nightmares are attacking Cybertron and there's nothing resembling a sense of geography. Or the episodes set in the horribly racist terrorist haven that is Carbombya, Pop: 1000 Camels.

Yeah. It's dire.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wafflesnsegways posted:

Also, not sure if this has come up before, but I've been enjoying Columbo. It's very slow-paced (most episodes are 2 hours), but it has great performances, and is very different from detective shows. Most detective shows now are procedurals, and focus on clues and behind-the-scenes policework. Columbo is more of a character study - Columbo usually guesses the killer early on, then needles the killer until he slips up.

Holy poo poo are you telling me Columbo is on Netflix?!

Oh my God it is, it all is.

Everyone, at minimum, watch the episodes guest starring/directed by Patrick McGoohan (The Prisoner). Holy poo poo, the dynamic between those two is amazing. If you're a Pratchett fan, it's basically Vimes vs. Vetinari. It's that good.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

SRM posted:

Or the episodes set in the horribly racist terrorist haven that is Carbombya, Pop: 1000 Camels.
I googled this and wow, that's horrible. But a fascinating fact I didn't know: Casey Kasem was born Kemal Amin Kasem. I always thought he was a cheesy yuckster old white guy like everyone else in radio.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Just finished The Fall, I wish there was more of it at the moment. I loved all the tangents in the show not directly linked to the main plot, it made Belfast into a living breathing place in the show instead of just a backdrop. Gillian Anderson is as always wonderful, and Gibson became one of my favorite characters in anything over the course of the show.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Everyone, at minimum, watch the episodes guest starring/directed by Patrick McGoohan (The Prisoner). Holy poo poo, the dynamic between those two is amazing. If you're a Pratchett fan, it's basically Vimes vs. Vetinari. It's that good.

Not all of it, sadly; it's missing one or two episodes from every season. But still, Columbo rules and everyone should at least give it a shot. Some of the episodes have some really neat cinematography and effects, and I'm hard-pressed to recall any duds.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Columbowns.

SRM posted:

It's the writing in the old cartoons that's the worst. Yes, the animation in Transformers is cheap, but the stories that involve aliens who speak only in singing, who for some reason nobody can understand except for two characters (who must repeat every single line of inane dialogue back for everyone to understand) is just atrocious. Or the episode where for some reason nightmares are attacking Cybertron and there's nothing resembling a sense of geography. Or the episodes set in the horribly racist terrorist haven that is Carbombya, Pop: 1000 Camels.

Yeah. It's dire.

One of the writers did an interview and he said that they had to include a certain number of characters in every episode and refer to them by name a minimum number of times so kids would know exactly what toys to pester their parents for each week.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

precision posted:

To save others from googling this is the list I found.

For the record, Patrick McGoohan appeared in:

By Dawn's Early Light as Colonel Lyle C. Rumford, number 28, season 4 and episode 3.
Identity Crisis as Nelson Brenner, number 34, season 5, episode 3.
Agenda for Murder as Oscar Finch, number 52, season 9, episode 3.
Ashes to Ashes as Eric Prince, number 67, season 13, episode 12.

Patrick McGoohan's final involvement with Columbo was in directing number 68, season 13, episode 13, Murder With Two Many Faces. He also directed The Last Salute to the Commodore, season 5, episode 6.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Shatner episode (season 6 ep 1) is another solid one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

I'm sure it's just because Netflix is being sent the HDTV versions of films and not blu-ray/DVD versions

If they really wanted them I'm sure they could find them. When they first added the original Transformers series their files were the same tv rips that had circulated on torrent sites for years.

• Locked thread