Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Death Bot posted:

You're right that LoL's professional scene was entirely propped up by Riot dumping money onto everything, but DotA's entire professional involvement was Blizzard saying "yeah do whatever I guess". It was entirely player driven for quite a while, and Valve just hopped on and sped up an already-moving train.

I dunno, I feel like there's no reason that fighting games couldn't be a bigger spectator sport. They're a lot clearer to watch and understand the basics of than the majority of other games that are popular. Yeah sure the backbones of the games are pretty crazy, but Dota and League are also terrible beasts to really understand the inner workings of.

And yeah, the money has to come from somewhere, but there's definitely a few possible sources. Sponsors leap to mind, players streaming more, tournaments having small entry fees, putting some/all the subscriber fees back into the prize pot... I'm sure there's more ideas. Hell, start running some raffles or something :v:

That said, I don't know why a community that features such notable players as Razor Madcatz Tokido and Video X Games Empire Dieminon and Afterglow Elite "Four Ears" Chris G is so scared of the concept of e-sports leaking in. :tinfoil:

Well the VXG part of EMP is purely funded by a tourism board at a loss and AGE literally doesn't exist anymore so that might be a hint as to why some folks really don't want interference from these groups. Seeing as they've got no reason to really stick around because there's very little profit to be made off fighting games as is and whatever models actually have a profit possibility in them are ones that folks probably imagine are damaging to the scene in the long-run or not in the direction of how they want fighting games to go.

MadCatz is probably like the only actual corporation to make a profit off the whole deal because they almost run a monopoly on sticks so that's not really the case either (also because MadCatz sponsorship that's not like top player level is extremely sketchy... like "okay here's a t-shirt and a stick" sketchy)

It's really just the same thing everyone's said: that money has to come from somewhere, and the examples to where it could come from aren't really satisfactory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Fighting games should really be considered a better spectator sport than SC2 or LoL because I can actually understand what the gently caress is going on in them.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Death Bot posted:

I dunno, I feel like there's no reason that fighting games couldn't be a bigger spectator sport.

What is missing for you? There is so much actual tournament footage being streamed these days, just enjoy it.

I don't know how it would be so much more enjoyable with more guys wearing custom suede jackets, more boring white commentators, or more commercials.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 18, 2013

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Gammatron 64 posted:

Fighting games should really be considered a better spectator sport than SC2 or LoL because I can actually understand what the gently caress is going on in them.

They really are infinitely better for spectating, because the viewers see exactly the same thing the players see. In LoL and SC2 streams there has to be some guy controlling a "camera" and you can only see what's happening right there, or if you're spectating in-game you still can only see a small portion of the map at any one time.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'd think EVO could get a few marketing departments interested for next year just with the power of their latest viewership numbers (1.7 million over the weekend). I'm not sure how actively they usually try to reach out to companies outside the usual FGC-related lineup (Capcom, MCZ, BT, AS etc.) though.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

40 OZ posted:

What is missing for you? There is so much actual tournament footage being streamed these days, just enjoy it.

Nothing? I just think it would be cool for some players who are really good at a game that I enjoy to play and watch to earn a little more money, and simultaneously think it's lovely that players like Xian managed to fight their way to the top of several thousand people over a grueling weekend only to earn a couple grand, all this after flying halfway across the world to do so.

dexybarat
Oct 5, 2012

I ain't afraid of no rolley coaster
Perhaps e-sports money and the e-sports image come as a package deal. If you reject suit jackets and the Dr. Pepper Cam (TM), you may also be rejecting large payouts. If that is the case, I'd prefer to have it the way it is now. It's not about a few internet famous players making lots of money, it's about the entire community.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Death Bot posted:

Nothing? I just think it would be cool for some players who are really good at a game that I enjoy to play and watch to earn a little more money, and simultaneously think it's lovely that players like Xian managed to fight their way to the top of several thousand people over a grueling weekend only to earn a couple grand, all this after flying halfway across the world to do so.

I do agree with this. The amount Xian got doesn't properly reflect the amount of skill and dedication it takes to win a major, let alone EVO.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

dijon posted:

Perhaps e-sports money and the e-sports image come as a package deal. If you reject suit jackets and the Dr. Pepper Cam (TM), you may also be rejecting large payouts. If that is the case, I'd prefer to have it the way it is now. It's not about a few internet famous players making lots of money, it's about the entire community.

Says the guy who didn't just win evo :v:

And yeah, the fighting game scene is cool the way it is, I just feel like it really wouldn't lose much from a few logos here and there, more players with acronyms before their names, a tournament being named Razor Fight Nights, or Yipes wearing some glowy headphones around his neck. That said it's obviously a slipper slope and the lack of

40 OZ posted:

I don't know how it would be so much more enjoyable with more guys wearing custom suede jackets, more boring white commentators, or more commercials.

is basically why I enjoy the scene, so it's obviously a thin line.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Well, Evo could stand to raise the price on tournament fees. It's what, $10 a game now? Raising it to $20 wouldn't break anybody's bank (everybody has a year to save up for a loving Vegas trip, anyway), it would double the prize pool size, people with really bad personalities would boycott (and even a net player loss would result in a faster tournament), and it would discourage people from playing in too many games at once which is the number one reason why tournaments run behind schedule.

CEO had a NOS sponsorship in previous years and Red Bull this year. Even if Avermedia is the only electronics company really pushing new poo poo, there are still food and beverage sponsors to be had at these events.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Well, Evo could stand to raise the price on tournament fees. It's what, $10 a game now? Raising it to $20 wouldn't break anybody's bank (everybody has a year to save up for a loving Vegas trip, anyway), it would double the prize pool size, people with really bad personalities would boycott (and even a net player loss would result in a faster tournament), and it would discourage people from playing in too many games at once which is the number one reason why tournaments run behind schedule.

CEO had a NOS sponsorship in previous years and Red Bull this year. Even if Avermedia is the only electronics company really pushing new poo poo, there are still food and beverage sponsors to be had at these events.

Mr. Wizard thinks that going from $10 to $20 or even $15 would be damaging enough to make him not want to do it. From my perspective I don't see how it could be that bad but apparently he thinks it is.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Still, SF4 entrants paid a total of ~$16000 to enter - is it normal for 1st place to get ~33% of the pot? Obviously the tourney needs to fund itself, but you'd imagine 1st place would get at least 50% of the fees...

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Super Rad posted:

Still, SF4 entrants paid a total of ~$16000 to enter - is it normal for 1st place to get ~33% of the pot? Obviously the tourney needs to fund itself, but you'd imagine 1st place would get at least 50% of the fees...

1st used to get 60%, but the top 3 prizes were scaled down to pay top 32, which is a totally cool thing. It sucks that you used to be able to get 9th place in a tournament of 1000 and not even win bus fare to get you back to the airport to fly home.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most players would prefer lower payout for 1st place if it meant more money for the lower places because, if they most likely don't place, they want at least some cash.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I believe Keits was one of the driving forces to get it scaled down. Poker tournaments have a much wider payout structure, but it's more luck based and you can play them all day and in higher buy-ins.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Yipes has a few people over (Alukard and Bum are playing right now, don't know if anyone else is over there) and is currently commentating.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

graynull posted:

Maybe this is why Spooky said, "gently caress poverty chat" during his GUTS Marvel commentary. I thought he was just making GBS threads on people who didn't subscribe, but perhaps he was just making GBS threads on lovely people.

Poverty chat used to be pretty chill, but now it's turned into a weird circlejerk of people who are literally proud of not paying to support the people they watch.

e: I don't mean that to imply people who don't sub are bad, or even that you should pay to chat for streams like sp00ky's or EVO, but the mentality in poverty chat has turned into something actively hostile, like a "You want me to sub? Well gently caress YOU buddy" sort of mindset.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 19, 2013

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Yeah, and it's gotten even worse now that Salty Bets is getting attention on streams; the original Bipson accused Saltybets of stealing code, and since then there's been the whole gently caress SALTYBETS HE IS TERRIBLE ADORE BIPSON ON STREAM poo poo that shows up every time. Really the only reason to go to poverty chat anymore is the new bipson betting.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The funny thing is the last thing poverty chat really wants is the lifting of sub-only chat. The rare major where sub-only chat isn't enabled is a god damned poo poo show of ascii spam, copypasta, and hate, and whether you prefer aristochat or poverty chat, everyone is made worse off. Poverty chat may be a mad max hellscape, but it has a certain charm to it so long as it's seen as neutral territory and not something to actively attack.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
If anyone's still watching Yipes' stream, Alukard saying "That air reset with Akuma? I loving threw my dog." has probably been the highlight of the stream so far for me. Just the mental image and how straight faced he said it.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
So WCG picked up Street Fighter 4 as an official game. It was announced during EVO finals day so so it kind of flew under the radar. To people who don't know about WCG, it's one of the oldest and biggest esports things around, originally formed and sponsored by South Korea's tourism and culture ministry along with Samsung and has typically had some of the bigger total prize pools of any competitive gaming events. It's also surrounded by a really weird and creepy vibe that I can only describe as being similar to CTSOs. If that means nothing to you, there's always this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IznCjaeJdQ

I also can't help but feel like I messed with some cosmic force that allowed this to happen when I made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx5u-Q8rRX4

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

So WCG picked up Street Fighter 4 as an official game. It was announced during EVO finals day so so it kind of flew under the radar. To people who don't know about WCG, it's one of the oldest and biggest esports things around, originally formed and sponsored by South Korea's tourism and culture ministry along with Samsung and has typically had some of the bigger total prize pools of any competitive gaming events. It's also surrounded by a really weird and creepy vibe that I can only describe as being similar to CTSOs. If that means nothing to you, there's always this video:

I also can't help but feel like I messed with some cosmic force that allowed this to happen when I made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx5u-Q8rRX4

You know, I've only ever followed fighting game streams and I've never watched any esports stuff ever, and I always thought "man, it would be great to have more money involved in this, I dunno why people are so against this esports thing" and now I completely understand why. That poo poo is wicked weird. :psyduck:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

WCG is kind of a relic of the early 2000's though, most "esports" nowadays isn't really like that. DreamHack, which is live right now, is more representative: http://www.twitch.tv/dreamhacktv

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
WCG these days is a really weird, increasingly irrelevant mess, but it's also one of the last places on earth to watch competitive WC3 because China owns and still loves that game, so I'm a fan.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Yeah, WCG is... unique. I get that when people say they don't want fightgames to be esports a big part of it is not wanting the mockable seriousness of the WCG or the faux-professionalism (aka putting 19-20 year olds in sponsor jerseys for video games) of League and Dota, but I feel like this scene is one that could handle a bit extra money without that happening.

I love watching the scene as-is, and as much as I like the guy, I'm not saying that I want all of the faces of the community to be Ultradavid for that sense of "professionalism" (aka a white dude in a dress shirt)

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, I've only ever followed fighting game streams and I've never watched any esports stuff ever, and I always thought "man, it would be great to have more money involved in this, I dunno why people are so against this esports thing" and now I completely understand why.

Counterpoint: these awesome dudes

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Xenogenesis posted:

Counterpoint: these awesome dudes

But they're both white. :ohdear:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Double Bill posted:

WCG is kind of a relic of the early 2000's though, most "esports" nowadays isn't really like that. DreamHack, which is live right now, is more representative: http://www.twitch.tv/dreamhacktv

Are they doing more AE at this event?

halwain
May 31, 2011
You cant really compare prizepools from lol/dota 2 with EVO.
The upcoming International 3 tournament now has a price pool of about 2.6 millions (nearly half of it is now sponsored via a cosmetic item, the international compendium, from the dota 2 store).

These amounts are only possible if capcom/someone else actually pays 1mio + for a price pool.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Everything related to WCG feels like it's trapped in the 90s somehow. I can't explain why. It just reminds me of all of those terrible educational videos I saw in middle/high school.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
WCG sucks loving rear end. There was that one year where they only had mobile games for some random reason. Also last year they decided they should have BOTH Dota 1 and Dota 2. :psyduck: It was so bad because they got one of the popular Dota casters but for dota 1, and they got some sc2/LoL guys for Dota 2 which was horrible at first but to their credit actually tried to learn the game and cast it better. As an online spectator experience it was just kinda poo poo all around to be honest. Also they some deal by Riot Games so they could be the only moba in the tournament, so no more dota 2 this year, but not like it matters because its such an irrelevant tournament anyway. Seriously I have no idea why Capcom again (IPL the first time) chooses poo poo companies to work with.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Chacmool posted:

Mr. Wizard thinks that going from $10 to $20 or even $15 would be damaging enough to make him not want to do it. From my perspective I don't see how it could be that bad but apparently he thinks it is.

I would guess this is to keep things economical for people who want to register for lots of games. Someone who wanted to play in 5 games would have to pay $100 instead of $50.

I personally would like to see the fees double (or more) in order to make payouts to top players bigger or to pay out to Top 16 instead of Top 8, but I'm not a tournament player and I'm not a TO so my opinion is just that of some random dude on the internet.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

When's Marvel?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

DiscoJ posted:

When's Marvel?

http://www.whensmarvel.com/
Discount locals, next weekend there will be something of note

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

PonchAxis posted:

WCG sucks loving rear end. There was that one year where they only had mobile games for some random reason. Also last year they decided they should have BOTH Dota 1 and Dota 2. :psyduck: It was so bad because they got one of the popular Dota casters but for dota 1, and they got some sc2/LoL guys for Dota 2 which was horrible at first but to their credit actually tried to learn the game and cast it better. As an online spectator experience it was just kinda poo poo all around to be honest. Also they some deal by Riot Games so they could be the only moba in the tournament, so no more dota 2 this year, but not like it matters because its such an irrelevant tournament anyway. Seriously I have no idea why Capcom again (IPL the first time) chooses poo poo companies to work with.

Dota 2 was absolutely hilarious to watch because I think the text was in Chinese so the commentators didn't even know the names of the heroes. They were all like "Oh, so that... uhh... elephant thing with a spear just ummm... let loose with an attack!" and consulting the spectator chat to try and figure out what was going on.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah for real, I don't know why they don't just prop up a few tournaments that already exist and do well, especially considering the fact that the fighting game scene is completely different than any of the other comp game scenes. I'd rather see more Curlehs and CEOs than more Dreamhacks and (ugh) WCGs.

Also remember that one year that they did LoL but they said teams had to be divided by country, so the two leading teams that were a mix of USA/CAN players just shuffled their players around and anyone else just did that much worse because they couldn't play with their whole team? And also one guy who had dual citizenship tried playing on two teams, and the ruling when they found out was to DQ the team that had already lost in one of the qualifiers, that were already over???

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

WCG owned last year, don't get the hate. Sure it is a relic from the past but you had Starcraft announcers casting Dota2, a Dota1 turny, and loving WC3:FT. It ruled and I'm sure an AE turny run by them will be hokey as poo poo and also rule.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

lamentable dustman posted:

WCG owned last year, don't get the hate. Sure it is a relic from the past but you had Starcraft announcers casting Dota2, a Dota1 turny, and loving WC3:FT. It ruled and I'm sure an AE turny run by them will be hokey as poo poo and also rule.

I should clarify that I agree, the dota2 announcers were really funny by accident and the other two were pretty cool to watch. However, I would rather watch Curleh 3: The Legend of Curleh's Gold than the inevitable Infiltration/Dieminion trying to cross the language barrier to commentate or something. Not that that wouldn't be entertaining :v:

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Nice profile of KaneBlueRiver here.

BONUS: Our Fooblat appears in a picture (albeit a bit blurry) and gets a little mention, too :swoon:

fix yr hearts fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Waterbed posted:

Everything related to WCG feels like it's trapped in the 90s somehow. I can't explain why. It just reminds me of all of those terrible educational videos I saw in middle/high school.

Well, their theme song sounds like it came straight outta the 80s \ early 90s and is cheesy and terrible as hell.

This:

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYl-V4MMv9E