Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Coolguye posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong you should be taunting the entire time you're healing, zero question and anyone who argues this deserves to be TK'd forever. Yelling is like half of this game, never not be yelling. But I'm unconvinced from a mechanical point of view that yelling makes you heal faster. It should, though.

Crouching also doesn't help you recover stamina any faster either. At least not to any noticeable degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Skaw posted:

Crouching also doesn't help you recover stamina any faster either. At least not to any noticeable degree.

False, it absolutely does.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Blimpkin posted:

Unless it requires you to crouch for a while before kicking in the enhanced recovery, I've never noticed. I've even stood/crouch/stood/crouch and it always goes up the same.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Skaw posted:

Unless it requires you to crouch for a while before kicking in the enhanced recovery, I've never noticed. I've even stood/crouch/stood/crouch and it always goes up the same.

I mean, just try it next time. Drain it all and recharge, then drain it all again and crouch. You'll see, it regens faster.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Blimpkin posted:

I mean, just try it next time. Drain it all and recharge, then drain it all again and crouch. You'll see, it regens faster.

I'm pretty sure they actually patched that out, and just increased base stamina regeneration.

Edit: Yeah, there was this patch which made the change (in the mechanics section):

quote:

Bonus stamina regeneration from crouching removed, base stamina regeneration increased.

Astus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 18, 2013

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Blimpkin posted:

It doesn't anymore. There was a monstrous patch like 2 weeks ago that changed basically every mechanic in the game.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah on a Knight it still takes like 5 to recover to full either way.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I am indeed corrected. drat placebo effect.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
Got this in the steam summer sale and its really fun but really loving hard to play with a trackpad and keyboard, i end up with like 5:20 every round. I have a wired xbox controller but its not letting me keybind the analogue sticks so i cant run/turn, does anyone have any suggestions

p.s. where do goons play i bet this is more fun if your team is at least semi-organised

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The only organization you should expect is push/defend the objective. Stick with a buddy and try to gank people not looking at you.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Wow. This game is great.

Finally had a chance to play defense on an objective server. The attackers did well, easily destroying the peasant round and after an intense fight they managed to break into the castle. I had the awesome chance to be selected as king, and we managed to hold off the mason onslaught. I got to spend 8 minutes sitting in a corner while haughtily taunting the masons for being incompetent, upstart peasants who lacked proper guidance and will soon know true leadership under the Agathan flag.

I consider myself hooked.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Coolguye posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong you should be taunting the entire time you're healing, zero question and anyone who argues this deserves to be TK'd forever. Yelling is like half of this game, never not be yelling. But I'm unconvinced from a mechanical point of view that yelling makes you heal faster. It should, though.

You are a knave and will be lain to rest in an unmarked grave.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I got much better after finishing the tutorial. I managed to live long enough to take a swing at Agatha, put out the fire beacon in the funniest way possible, and sank the last ship with the ballista. Archers are fun to play, just not with crossbows. Bows are much more fun when you can fire and forget, and getting hit doesn't make you bug out and reload until you die.

Manfrey
Sep 18, 2006

Frying high
Feering good
I rarely browse the gaming board on SA; It's good to see that the very proper strategy of mashing the C key incessantly is heavily promoted here.

Just remember to use overheads and forward stabs when getting into a brawl with teammates around, much harder to TK that way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've found the most enjoyable thing to do as Maa is sprint across the map, smash the heads of the useless archers sitting at spawn, and then taunt on top of their corpses. Bonus if one of them notices you and fires a few pathetic shots that completely miss and you spam laugh while running up to kill them.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost
Anyone else getting udk.exe errors and horribly warpy gameplay? I tried to delete the config directory and verifying the cache but it's still the same, can't play at all.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

For some reason I can't access the X menu while sprinting. The Y menu opens fine, but I suppose some keyboard settings prevent the X keypress from registering while Shift or shift+direction are held down. Any ideas where I might fix that? It's just not right that I cannot spam laugh/taunt/help while running around, this is not what chivalry is meant to be.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Shields only block when the tip of the opponent's weapon actually connects with the shield, so if someone gets really close to you he can hit behind your shield quite easily, it's also possible to start a swing and drag it so that it connects with your model behind your shield, or use the alt swing to a similar effect.

With how erratic everything gets in this game I find it's much easier to parry as it mostly only relies on timing, but some people are pretty effective with the shield.

The thing that threw me up for the longest time is that it really needs to be their weapon's tip every time. So very often my instincts from M&B or War of the Roses made me think that just stepping into their swing or blocking it right at their wrists would be enough, but no such luck.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I haven't played the game in a long while -- did they remove the MaA's ability to dash in the middle of an attack windup? I can't seem to do it anymore and it was such a strong maneuver.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Heavy neutrino posted:

I haven't played the game in a long while -- did they remove the MaA's ability to dash in the middle of an attack windup? I can't seem to do it anymore and it was such a strong maneuver.

Dashing was nerfed a lot, and I think that was one thing that was taken out.

Re: Shields, I personally don't like them. They give you a larger area to block, yes. But blocking with them uses up a ton of stamina, which means that the enemy can just hammer on you until you get staggered, or kick. It blocks half your screen, removes a throwing weapon, and worst of all it doesn't work when it feels like it.

Really, if I could parry arrows out of the air like some kind of medieval Neo then I would never use then.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What is that last bow and how long does it take to unlock it? It seems I am not making any progress towards unlocking it even though all I play is archer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

keyframe posted:

What is that last bow and how long does it take to unlock it? It seems I am not making any progress towards unlocking it even though all I play is archer.

It is the Warbow, much slower draw but more powerful shots. When you kill someone with a bow then the number covering it on the inventory screen (the number of kills you need) should go down. If it doesn't then that means that the server you are on is not tracking kills and you have to go murder on another server that does. Probably official servers

E. Also, had a goon recognize me in a server last night from my posting in the thread. I felt like the best poster :3:

VVVVVV That very well may be true and would certainly explain why I find parrying so much more effective than shields for blocking blows. But there still is at least some direction requirement for it, since you still do need to block near the tip or it will swing through still. The guys blocking from behind probably got lucky and the hit box (block box?) was up and to the side enough to catch the very edge of the attack

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 18, 2013

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm pretty sure that parrying is timing based and shield blocking is direction based, I've seen people parry shots aimed at their backs as long as the timing is right.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Dashing was nerfed a lot, and I think that was one thing that was taken out.

Re: Shields, I personally don't like them. They give you a larger area to block, yes. But blocking with them uses up a ton of stamina, which means that the enemy can just hammer on you until you get staggered, or kick. It blocks half your screen, removes a throwing weapon, and worst of all it doesn't work when it feels like it.

Really, if I could parry arrows out of the air like some kind of medieval Neo then I would never use then.

I've grown to like the kite shield on the knight, you're generally not fast enough to reliably dodge incoming archer fire otherwise. When you're cornered by several enemies it can also be pretty useful to just hunker down for a few seconds until you can maneuver into a better position or a teammate helps you out. And building a bona-fide shieldwall around an objective (such as the king in that one map) can be pretty rad too. It probably also helps that I'm currently rolling with the bastard swords, which have a nice extra synergy with shields.
But yeah, it's much less useful on the MaA and the tower shield just takes up way too much of your view to be useful over the kite.

VVVV whatnow-view? :aaa: I didn't even know that existed. VVVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 18, 2013

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

From the sounds of it, I'm the only person who plays in third-person view (except for archer sniping)? Not only does it solve basically all the problems with shield blocking, it pretty much doubles your peripheral vision. Third person best person.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Third person mode is disabled on a bunch of servers though. If you notice it is there's a good chance the admin hates fun and, should you find yourself on his team, you should stand in front of him incessantly, yelling the whole time.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

McSpanky posted:

From the sounds of it, I'm the only person who plays in third-person view (except for archer sniping)? Not only does it solve basically all the problems with shield blocking, it pretty much doubles your peripheral vision. Third person best person.

3rd person is almost (archery) always an advantage when you can use it. The game sure seems less fun and exciting with it on, though.

Another FOV trick you can do is turning your FOV super low when you are playing archer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I only stick to like three servers and they all leave it on so I hadn't really thought about how frequently it could be disabled. Fun-haters ruin everything fun :(

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
After around 200 hours of chivalry, after chopping heads uncountable, I have achieved murder nirvana, and it is the broadsword. I don't care about any nerf. I don't dash anyway. After playing the knight, running as MMA feels like everyone else is in slow motion and I can run freely around chopping enemies' heads off without a care in the world. And nobody feels threatened by your broadsword. But they should. That poo poo goes around shields. It's got surprisingly long reach. If I'm at full health, I can reliably take groups of 3-5 anything with a fire pot and a broadsword. Sometimes I take out the stabby dagger for flavor. Highly recommended.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm pretty sure that parrying is timing based and shield blocking is direction based, I've seen people parry shots aimed at their backs as long as the timing is right.

This is not true. Shields can do that as well, it's just a bug that has to do with hitboxes and possibly latency. Parrying still requires you to aim correctly. If you don't believe me, try looking straight down and parrying an incoming swing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hilarion posted:

After around 200 hours of chivalry, after chopping heads uncountable, I have achieved murder nirvana, and it is the broadsword. I don't care about any nerf. I don't dash anyway. After playing the knight, running as MMA feels like everyone else is in slow motion and I can run freely around chopping enemies' heads off without a care in the world. And nobody feels threatened by your broadsword. But they should. That poo poo goes around shields. It's got surprisingly long reach. If I'm at full health, I can reliably take groups of 3-5 anything with a fire pot and a broadsword. Sometimes I take out the stabby dagger for flavor. Highly recommended.

I'm nowhere near 200 hours, but people seem to write the Man-at-Arms off way too easily. My favorite weapon right now is the War Axe, because it's pretty fast, deceptively powerful, and on a MAA you'll have no trouble getting into position to hack people up with it. I might have to try the Broadsword, though. Now that you mention it, a lot of the MAAs that top the leaderboards seem to use it.

Something I've found useful lately is to start fights with an overhead swing. This works best against squirrely folks that play defensively, because they'll block when you get close, but their block will end before the slow overhead connects. It's a good way to get an early advantage. And if you're a bad enough dude to play MAA, open your fights with a forward dash and an overhead. Man, NO ONE sees that coming.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm nowhere near 200 hours, but people seem to write the Man-at-Arms off way too easily. My favorite weapon right now is the War Axe, because it's pretty fast, deceptively powerful, and on a MAA you'll have no trouble getting into position to hack people up with it. I might have to try the Broadsword, though. Now that you mention it, a lot of the MAAs that top the leaderboards seem to use it.

Something I've found useful lately is to start fights with an overhead swing. This works best against squirrely folks that play defensively, because they'll block when you get close, but their block will end before the slow overhead connects. It's a good way to get an early advantage. And if you're a bad enough dude to play MAA, open your fights with a forward dash and an overhead. Man, NO ONE sees that coming.

No mention of firepots, therefore this MaA advice is useless :colbert:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
MAA is truly the best class. Well, the mason MAA at least. His taunts and voice in general are the best. I'm partial to running around spamming "you're welcome". My personal fav is "Pulled your feet from the fire did I?" Bonus points if you can get it to play after burning a dude with the fire pot.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I've always been partial to the good old hatchet myself. It has absolutely no reach and requires some getting used to, but its speed and power are terrifying.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just give my MaA an ax and a shield. Much as I dislike not using molopots, any remaining archers make up 3/4 of my rage. I never felt so angry about archers since Dynasty Warrior expansions without the Musou Armor. I still use pots for attacking carts, but it is situational with its one use.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Whoa how do you play in third person???

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Reiley posted:

Whoa how do you play in third person???

L

Or P P

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

LORPing is the correct way to play anyways so this only makes all the more sense.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Let's be clear: The MaA is the most fun class, but he's hands down the weakest, dudes. The way this game handles latency is totally asinine, every single time I have done extraordinarily well with MaA or seen someone else do extraordinarily well with MaA it's because the lag gods are pleased with your existence today. Come back tomorrow and all your clever dodging and spinny tricks will probably just end up with you impaled on another whirlwinding rear end in a top hat's weapon. A Vanguard doesn't care so much about this because all he has to do is whirlwind his polearm and whoops everything around him is dead. A Knight doesn't have to care so much because if he takes 3 hits with a hard-hitting weapon he's still up and pissed unless it's a Maul. The MaA will never, ever survive 2 similar hits and is often lucky to survive 1. With an MaA weapon, the Knight can often survive 4 strikes no problem, and again, still really only has to hit the MaA once to really clean his clock. I can't count how many 'clever' MaAs I've harvested with the Messer, just turning toward them and swinging hard. The only prayer in the world they have is getting in close and stunlocking the K/V, but that's not likely to happen. The Messer - and indeed, all of the Knight/Vanguard mainstays - are a ton longer than MaA weapons and the K/V will absolutely start their swing a lot sooner than you. It's practically guaranteed to be coming out by the time you're in and swinging.

You could argue that an MaA is great at being the third man in a fight, since he can flit around and get poo poo done faster on the flank, but that's irrelevant because everyone can. Knights and Vanguards can use the secret ultra move 'step to the side 10 feet' followed by Secret Technique 'use an overhead, dumbass', and archers can fire in support. Hell an archer with a Javelin is arguably better than an MaA at literally everything except trolling.

But trolling is like half this game so I still roll MaA more often than anything else. People screaming about being on fire and the endlessly assholish taunts are pretty much a crystalization of what this game is. But you're definitely giving up function for form here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
There's less room for error when using a MAA, especially now with the hits the dodge move has taken, but they're still very viable. That said even though I constantly come top 3 my K/D ratio would probably be better if I was using another class. Just can't bring myself to switch to some lardass, I like the fast footwork far too much.

I use a flanged mace as a MAA for easy knight/vanguard destruction. It has trouble against archers and other MAAs who are using faster weapons but switching down to a saber or shortsword helps with that. Firepot is obviously in the item slot :supaburn:

• Locked thread