Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

LordGugs posted:

What do you call someone from Nightvale?
Doomed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
I just wanted to give a general thanks to the creators for Night Vale existing. Discovered it a week or so ago, burned through all the episodes just in time to listen to 27 when it came out.

As someone who's bisexual, it is so incredibly refreshing to see a gay character who is out, who isn't shy or awkward or troubled about it, who isn't treated as a joke or a stereotype for being gay (just for being a giant dork), and who seems to be getting exactly what he wants.

Also, the entirely surreal, deadpan, and dark nature of the humor is exactly the sort of thing I love even without the addition of the Cecil and Carlos subplot. Even without that I would be in love.

I'm buying a t-shirt next paycheck.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

What would the nightvale craigslist look like? Someone needs to make that site.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Hey maxnmona, this isn't 100% related to Night Vale specifically but seems the best place to ask: are there any more collaborative, non-Night Vale books planned for Commonplace soon? I love A Commonplace Book of the Weird and put off What It Means To Be a Grown-Up for ages because the subject matter seemed boring until I finally picked it up the other day, and I'm loving it as well. So I'm just hoping you've got something more on the line. Still psyched for the Night Vale book though.

Also agreeing with everyone else that the last episode was simply adorable and heartwarming.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

maxnmona posted:

Oh, and I guess the word is out now, so I can say here that the guest star from later this summer will be Jasika Nicole, aka Astrid from Fringe.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :allears:

Seriously, I am so drat happy to hear this you don't even KNOW. I'm definitely going to send you actual real-world money when I can, possibly in exchange for a product.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

maxnmona posted:

Oh, and I guess the word is out now, so I can say here that the guest star from later this summer will be Jasika Nicole, aka Astrid from Fringe.

:stare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOG3XwX9Yw

:stare:

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I always thought Cecil was just obsessed with Carlos in like a weird Nightvaley way until I caught up with the last few episodes. The genuine Relationship to me makes Nightvale that much creepier. That the citizens of Nightvale are real people even with all those things going on. Before that I just tended to think they were just like bland meat people or something not sure. But really great job with it. Sending a donation soon.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Throb Robinson posted:

I always thought Cecil was just obsessed with Carlos in like a weird Nightvaley way until I caught up with the last few episodes. The genuine Relationship to me makes Nightvale that much creepier. That the citizens of Nightvale are real people even with all those things going on. Before that I just tended to think they were just like bland meat people or something not sure. But really great job with it. Sending a donation soon.

No, that's Desert Bluffs. A hive of horrifying viscera and terrible things punctuated by a cheery and ignorant populace. Night Vale, on the other hand, is full of real people who see their strange little community more or less for what it is, and are fine with it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Ariong posted:

No, that's Desert Bluffs. A hive of horrifying viscera and terrible things punctuated by a cheery and ignorant populace.

And a football team that is just awful.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Ariong posted:

No, that's Desert Bluffs. A hive of horrifying viscera and terrible things punctuated by a cheery and ignorant populace. Night Vale, on the other hand, is full of real people who see their strange little community more or less for what it is, and are fine with it.

I've seen this mentioned before: the big difference between Night Vale and Desert Bluffs isn't what's weird about them, but how the weird things are handled. Night Vale uses truth, and Desert Bluffs uses lies. If Desert Bluffs' phenomena are worse, it's because nobody's even trying to manage them. Night Valers step around the dangerous elements whenever they can, while Desert Bluffers plow right into them, feeding them while traipsing around in eternal denial.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 17, 2013

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Just finished Ep. 3, and I think I'm qualified to say that I am now addicted to Night Vale. It's definitely that hard to reach 'just not right' feeling you get with a good suspense, that tickling on the edge of your senses that warns you that something is off about the whole situation. Sure, you can listen and hear the weird stuff going on, but the narration is what feeds it: He reads off things like glow clouds and raining animals as if they're expected, almost normal...but that slight hesitation, the minor pause in what he's reading, puts you in the mind of a man who is just grasping at the knowledge that all is not right with the world...

Definitely hooked.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
The weather in the latest episode owned.

e. Fan theory: the guard who repeats the same phrase in the same manner twice is a video game NPC, glitched into our reality.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 17, 2013

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
Yeah, I wasn't expecting to hear Doomtree in an episode, that was pretty cool.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
So we finally have our own wikipedia page and our own reddit (that spells our name incorrectly). We Are Big Shots Now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Night Vail: ALL HAIL THE SNOW CLOUD.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

John Peterson, you know, the agriculturalist?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Roach Warehouse posted:

John Peterson, you know, the agriculturalist?

I don't think he's really an invisible crop farmer. I think he's just got one up on Night Vale and the food conglomerates that pay him.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Uhm, without invisible food, how would they feed the workers in the invisible clock tower?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Admiral Goodenough posted:

The weather in the latest episode owned.

e. Fan theory: the guard who repeats the same phrase in the same manner twice is a video game NPC, glitched into our reality.

Holy poo poo I was thinking the same thing.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I figured it was more that he had been mentally rewired to respond in a certain way to certain questions.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Slaan posted:

Uhm, without invisible food, how would they feed the workers in the invisible clock tower?

Or be able to eat that very good, very light, carrot cake from the restraunt the host went to?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
And......scene

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

maxnmona posted:

And......scene

Congrats guys, fantastic podcast you earned it!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
This is when Maxnmona takes the money and runs, ain't it? :smithicide:

woot!

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

maxnmona posted:

And......scene

Way to go!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slaan posted:

This is when Maxnmona takes the money and runs, ain't it? :smithicide:

woot!

But it's free?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Geirskogul posted:

But it's free?

That's what you think!

(Congrats dude you totally deserve this.)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I hope it kicks off well written radio dramas but were probably just going to get flooded with "quirky" small town radio station where "whacky" stuff happens shows. Forest for the trees and all that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

maxnmona posted:

And......scene

Congratulations!

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

But it's free?

"Welcome to Night Vale" does not cost any money. It costs...other things.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Massive congratulations on the number one spot! The latest episode had me (and I'm sure plenty of other listeners) grinning from ear to ear with how adorable it was. I'm so happy for the two of them! Which is weird considering the everpresent horror-terrors that surround them. I also love the idea that Carlos would start a phone call with "I'm calling for personal reasons."

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I'm so happy for the two of them! Which is weird considering the everpresent horror-terrors that surround them.

That's something I still love about Night Vale; what would be horrific for us is either normal or a nuisance for them, like a thunderstorm that ruins some plans for the day. Part of the charm!

They're right to be wary of Management, though.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I hope the Apache Tracker is somehow reborn. He is my favourite.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Throb Robinson posted:

I hope the Apache Tracker is somehow reborn. He is my favourite.

He comes back as a middle aged black woman who speaks German.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've actually been wondering what's been going on with people from the early episodes. Like Old Woman Josie and her angels, and John Peters (you know, the farmer?).

NoonOwl
Aug 6, 2004
If I don't think does that mean I don't exist?
Huge congratulations on the #1 podcast spot, Night Vale! You guys totally deserve it.

Also, "I've been thinking. It's an important part of being a scientist." had me rolling on the floor. Beautiful, perfect Carlos continues to be the best character. :3:

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

tlarn posted:

That's something I still love about Night Vale; what would be horrific for us is either normal or a nuisance for them, like a thunderstorm that ruins some plans for the day. Part of the charm!

They're right to be wary of Management, though.

I tend to be a little behind on Night Vale, so I can listen to it in weird places, like when I am staying in unfamiliar towns on repair visits or doing extremely long drives.

If I lived in Nevada or something it would be amazing for night driving. But it was still pretty great to listen to on a 3 hour drive back at 2 am from Virginia. I like to imagine that it's at that time of night when Night Vale does its radio news.

Aisu posted:

As someone who's bisexual, it is so incredibly refreshing to see a gay character who is out, who isn't shy or awkward or troubled about it, who isn't treated as a joke or a stereotype for being gay (just for being a giant dork), and who seems to be getting exactly what he wants.

Yeah, and it's not even played with any kind of note. It's like "I am really in love with this guy, and there it is."

Typhoon Jim fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 18, 2013

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

BooDoug187 posted:

He comes back as a middle aged black woman who speaks German.

No, he comes back as a Middle Aged black woman who speaks German.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
Yes!! Soooo excited for you all! My greatest hope is that this will turn into a movie or mini series someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
As a scientist with a name that starts with C, unfortunately it is not Carlos, I want to know where I can get a casual lab coat.