Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speedball posted:

Man, I kept expecting Smiley Cat to pull off his mask and reveal that he really looks like Wei or something.

I wanted Smiley Cat's mask to actually be his face, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That would work too!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Speedball posted:

Man, I kept expecting Smiley Cat to pull off his mask and reveal that he really looks like Wei or something.

I thought he was gonna be Jackie, when he first showed up. He's got the same lanky build. Maybe they just retextured Jackie's model.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Paracelsus posted:

This is currently 50% of on Steam and 67% off on Amazon, but is the Complete DLC pack worth it? It's 2-3 times as much as the game itself, depending on where you buy it.

I'd probably say no. There's a LOT of good DLC but a lot of the DLCs are costumes and there's a couple that kind of ruin the game by giving you a bunch of XP and money at the start and you can't turn them off.

Here's a brief summary of them all:

quote:

I recommend:

Expansions:

Nightmare in Northpoint - Halloween expansion themed like a chinese horror movie. Cheesy and a lot of fun. About two to three hours worth of content. This is not part of the main game and is selected from the main menu.

Zodiac Tournament:
A fun little tournament romp inspired by some older kung fu movies. Fun but short. value is debatable at normal price but on sale sure. This one is available in the main story.

Year of the Snake:
Set in the aftermath of the main story, you are busted down to a beat cop giving out tickets and giving tourists directions, but on a routine patrol during the Chinese New Year Festival, you are thurst centre stage of an apocalypse cult wrecking havoc in the streets. another 2 to 4 hour expansion, a lot of fun. Taze people repeatedly. This is not part of the main game and is selected from the main menu.

Wheels of Fury:
A few extra quests added to the main story that unlock a crazy james-bond style tricked out car. Definitely worth it.

Beyond that, there are a handful of other nice small content expansions that generally add repeatable action missions. A lot of these were store exclusives at one point:

The SWAT Pack: drive around in a swat van and respond to randomised shoot ups, kitted out in swat gear. Not bad to get during a sale but nothing fancy.

Tactical Soldier Pack: puts an assault rifle with grenade launcher in all your appartments and a swatt/commando style outfit that reduces bullet damage in your wardrobe. Nice but pretty skippable if you don't feel like it.

Street Racer Pack: Simply adds a few more races for cars, bikes and boats. I think it adds a new super bike as well. Buy it if you liked racing I guess.

Police Protection Pack:
You know those missions where you get in a car and have to gun down countless persuers on bikes and in cars. This is a long one of those that's on the highway and is infinitely repeatable. Simple destructive fun.

Martial Arts Pack:
You know the mission where you have to beat up the monks. Yeah well it's that except there are infinite monks and you keep going to you you are beaten or leave the area.

Triad Enforcer Pack:
This one adds a triad themed highway shooter and a new unending fight club - except you have a golden, unbreakable cleaver. yeah. REALLY GREAT FOR FOR LEVELLING TRIAD XP WHICH CAN BE HARD TO MAX OUT.

The rest are mostly outfits with maybe a DLC car or something. Check them out, some of them are pretty neat but are up to personal taste.

There are a couple of DLC that you should absolutely avoid however as the ruin the game. They are:

Top Dog (gold/silver) Pack:
These just give you a boat load of xp and money at the start of the game when you get your safe house and ruin a lot of the levelling. If you've already beaten the game you might consider it but definitely not on the first play through.

The High Roller Pack:
Just unlocks some high end cars you can buy in game anyway. Waste of money.

Red Envelope Pack: Puts red envelopes filled with money outside each of your garages I believe. Buy it if you want easy money I guess?

Also I've been playing through this again lately and it's made me want to go watch a bunch of the movies that inspired it. I know there were some big lists posted earlier in the thread but I can't for the life of me find them in the hundred odd pages. Anyone still have it?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

No mention of the drunken martial arts style? That's the DLC that interests me the most! Good, bad, or ugly?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Sputnik posted:

No mention of the drunken martial arts style? That's the DLC that interests me the most! Good, bad, or ugly?

Awesome. However, the style is only used when face mode is active, and only with the outfit, it is also very limited compared to the default fighting style. However, it has some awesome counters straight from Jackie Chan movies and is totally kick rear end to run through fight clubs with

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I also imagine playing through the game as if it were Deus Ex is also awesome, looking through the bundle of treasures that is the Steam's collection of costume packs.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I thought he was gonna be Jackie, when he first showed up. He's got the same lanky build. Maybe they just retextured Jackie's model.

This is what I was thinking the whole time. Assumed it was going to be some "look what you did to meeee" thing at the end.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I didn't really delve into the costumes because there's a lot of them and ultimately they're just costumes and maybe a bike or something. I really like the Drunken Master and Magic Monkey ones though particularly.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

This is what I was thinking the whole time. Assumed it was going to be some "look what you did to meeee" thing at the end.

Would have made sense, but I can also see how it'd be hard to get Edison Chen back to do a DLC. I'm surprised and pleased Kelly Hu reprised her role for Year of the Snake!

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Oh poo poo, if that DLC complete pack goes on the -75% community sale, I am all loving over that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Same. Everybody vote Sleeping Dogs.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Argh! The DLC pack is stuck at -50%, despite winning! :steam: :sigh: :steam:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Did I miss any discussions about how annoying the guy is who drops off cars?

'A car? DAC CLAW!..'

And then he tells me not to wreck it. gently caress you. I'm a loving bad rear end gangster/cop. You're a loving lovely car valet. Have some respect.

I try to beat him up and I try to run him over. He seems to be invincible.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

me your dad posted:

Did I miss any discussions about how annoying the guy is who drops off cars?

'A car? DAC CLAW!..'

And then he tells me not to wreck it. gently caress you. I'm a loving bad rear end gangster/cop. You're a loving lovely car valet. Have some respect.

I try to beat him up and I try to run him over. He seems to be invincible.

I hate that he complains about how he has a lovely life. It's like I would take him for a ride if I could but the game doesn't let me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Those are two different NPCs. Parking lot attendant NPC complains. Valet NPC is always upbeat. Also, I always took "don't wreck it too much" as sarcastic. He knows what's up.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Bond car from the DLC mission is really neat, but I find I can't really use it to drive around because it is actually too fast to make corners, or even curves, in a normal fashion.

Am I a bad player for finding vehicular homicide the optimal strategy for clearing drug bust sites? 8-ish dudes at once is a little much to take on normally.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Poppleganger posted:

I hate that he complains about how he has a lovely life. It's like I would take him for a ride if I could but the game doesn't let me.

Actually, if you get in the car quickly enough as the valet is pulling up, you can take the guy for a joyride. I've done it a few times, I like to think that's terrified in the passenger seat.

Paracelsus posted:

The Bond car from the DLC mission is really neat, but I find I can't really use it to drive around because it is actually too fast to make corners, or even curves, in a normal fashion.

Am I a bad player for finding vehicular homicide the optimal strategy for clearing drug bust sites? 8-ish dudes at once is a little much to take on normally.

8 isn't a big deal, but some of the later ones where it's closer to 20, with weapons, yeah - it's much easier to just run over a bunch of them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does this game work with MotioninJoy with a PS3 controller? I don't own a 360 controller and the keyboard/mouse combo isn't that great.

Also I realized this game has a staggering amount of DLC. Which ones are with getting?

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 16, 2013

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Considering that the daily Steamsale involves EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF DLC for $14, I'm jumping on all of it.

Hopefully I can disable the cheat-like ones (High Roller DLC, etc) while keeping the awesome ones, like the Adam Jensen outfit and the drunken master DLC.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You cannot disable the DLC so have fun with that.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Ah well, I've already played through the entire game. I'll just be rerunning it to dink around with the new outfits.

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 16, 2013

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

You cannot disable the DLC so have fun with that.

You can, you have to go rename certain .dat files in your Steam folder. See here: http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4292

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Whats so bad about the High Roller DLC before I jump on this sale. Will it make the game lovely to play or something?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Is playing this without a controller viable? I ask mainly because of the emphasis on melee.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Whats so bad about the High Roller DLC before I jump on this sale. Will it make the game lovely to play or something?

The High Roller DLC isn't so bad, you get a car, an outfit, and $200,000... which you can use to buy more cars and outfits. Not that game breaking in the end. All it really means is you can get an A-rank car to do the A-rank races sooner and that you buy the expensive outfits so you can get 15% more of a bonus of something instead of 5% or 10%. The Red Envelope DLC isn't bad either, it just adds another 20 collectables of $50,000 each. Easy to ignore or spread out at your leisure.

The ones you really don't want are the "Top Dog" DLC's, Silver or Gold. They give you bonus Triad, Police, and Face points which destroys any and all level progression in the game.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Is playing this without a controller viable? I ask mainly because of the emphasis on melee.

I played the entire game with a mouse and keyboard and had 0 problems. The driving may give you troubles if you want the greater precision that a stick can give you, but other than that its great.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 16, 2013

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Bleh, sleeping dog goes on sale with all the DLC at 75% off when I bought the flash deal. :argh: Worth every dollar though. It's a rather delightful game in a rough around the edges yet appealing package such as The Saboteur. It's not mindblowingly original but the mishmash is really good, emphasis on melee and environmental attacks from yakuza but hong kong action cinema which is an excuse to pack in just cause mayhem. :black101:

A minor gripe is how drifting kills your momentum (and clean driving bonus!) more than just releasing forward and hard turning, definitely noticeable in races but story missions don't really suffer from it.

I'd definitely like to see a sequel, I'm only 12 hours in but I can see sleeping dogs as a good formula, more so since activision snubbed its nose at it for some insane reason.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Melee is fine since you don't need to stay in lock on mode which can be a little annoying at times. The real benefit is positioning yourself to beat up someone so that you don't get grappled from behind but you can perform a yakuza back kick even out of lock on mode, liberal use of counters and grapple invincibility frames does the trick so far.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 18, 2013

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm enjoying this game since picking it up a couple days ago in the Steam sale. But you dudes weren't kidding; holy poo poo 90% of the DLC leans toward being either game-breaking or completely retarded. Steam should really have an option to disable DLC.

Thank christ I could easily remove most of them via the .dat method, so my gritty first-playthough Wei, wearing his wife beater and sleeping on pee-stained mattress, isn't simultaneously a billionare supercar-driving mythical ancient Chinese superhero.

The only dumb poo poo that's still loitering around is the Just Cause 2 outfit that the game checked and foisted on me without asking, but whatever.

I love Saints Row and its million crazy DLC outfits, vehicles, etc, but this ain't Saints Row. This is my serious kung fu crime cinematic sandbox adventure and shoehorned wackiness can gently caress right off. <:mad:>

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 18, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Is there any way to break up a preset outfit? Like I'd love to get the Square Enix pack and wear Jensen's jacket without the sunglasses for example. Or the Rico outfit from JC2 without the arm blade thing.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Outfits are sets that can't be broken up, sadly.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I did some searching and one person on a forum suggested wearing your preset, then saving it as a custom outfit, then tweaking the custom outfit. I'm not sure if this will work because nobody replied to that thread with "yeah!" or "this doesn't work."

I'll try it later, see if it works. I expect I'll lose any associated bonuses, but that's no big deal.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Man, I just finished this fantastic game. Everything from the aesthetics, car handling, combat and audio simply clicked on me. Storywise I was far more emotionally invested than GTA 4, for sure.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Did anyone else like popping baddies with point blank tear gas canisters in Year of the Snake? I felt that outside that, and the grapple stuns (press and hold more more zzapin'!) the DLC was a bit lacking though, with quite an anticlimatic ending.

Is any more substantial DLC being planned or is that it until SquareEnix decides to grace us with SD2?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Avocados posted:

Does this game work with MotioninJoy with a PS3 controller? I don't own a 360 controller and the keyboard/mouse combo isn't that great.

Also I realized this game has a staggering amount of DLC. Which ones are with getting?

Yeah, I switched to a PS3 controller whenever I got behind the wheel of a car. It works great.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
I got $20 to spend on a game from a goon lottery, so should I get this or GTA4 or that Saints Row game that came out a while ago? I played the demo for this and really liked it, but GTA4 has that whole pedigree going for it, and SR has that whole wacky hijinx angle.

I just want a game that's actually fun to play and I feel like Sleeping Dogs is the right answer but :ohdear:

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Sleepydawgs is pretty good if you want something with more grounded characters/stories. While Saintsrow is great if you like good dumb writing and goofy rear end setpieces. No comment on GTA4.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Present posted:

I got $20 to spend on a game from a goon lottery, so should I get this or GTA4 or that Saints Row game that came out a while ago? I played the demo for this and really liked it, but GTA4 has that whole pedigree going for it, and SR has that whole wacky hijinx angle.

I just want a game that's actually fun to play and I feel like Sleeping Dogs is the right answer but :ohdear:

Both are better then GTA 4. Saints Row 3 is way whackier and crazier in general but Sleeping Dogs has really good melee combat. If I had to choose just one Sleeping Dogs is probably the best but I really liked Saints Row 3 as well.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Psion posted:

I did some searching and one person on a forum suggested wearing your preset, then saving it as a custom outfit, then tweaking the custom outfit. I'm not sure if this will work because nobody replied to that thread with "yeah!" or "this doesn't work."

I'll try it later, see if it works. I expect I'll lose any associated bonuses, but that's no big deal.

This doesn't work. I've tried numerous costumes and I've found that only the plainclothes detective shoes stick for some reason. Rather lame, I don't mind the loss of guns or bonuses but they did put more effort into DLC clothes than the stock variation.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Get Sleeping Dogs. Save money for Saints Row 4 coming out next month. SD's sequel is still years away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I've played all of those games and Sleeping Dogs is seriously the most refreshing take on the genre in a long time. I think Rockstar fell into a rut with GTA4, Saints Row 3 isn't really a finished, complete product, but Sleeping Dogs is and is amazing.

• Locked thread