Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Waterhaul posted:

It's tough to get a good image with her helmet up.

She looks like Samantha Carter. I think this is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Carol's suit is a thing of beauty. Pretty much the best redesign I've ever seen.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Capacitor posted:

She looks like Samantha Carter. I think this is a good thing.

Could Captain Marvel blow up a sun?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

socalled posted:

You better. They cancelled Sif, they cancelled Red She-Hulk, and I'd be damned if I see them cancel Captain Marvel based on low sales. Everyone must buy Captain Marvel.

I was dead certain it was already canned.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rhyno posted:

Carol's suit is a thing of beauty. Pretty much the best redesign I've ever seen.

She looks like Marvelman/Miracleman

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Rhyno posted:

My favorite part of the redesign isn't necessarily that they got rid of that silly black sheet she wrapped around her body. But that they toned down the ridiculous over-exaggerated playboy model physique she had going. She now just looks like an attractive and fit woman with almost semi normal proportions.

My favorite example, which I don't have scans of, was from Avengers Assembled. She's sitting around talking to Cap, and she just looks like a normal woman that is a super hero, not some super model with superpowers. Unfortunately this changes from artist to artist.

Edit: AH ha!

Best I could come up with on image search. But seriously, that is a huge step up.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 4, 2013

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Phy posted:

Could Captain Marvel blow up a sun?

With her Binary powers, yes. Without, possibly, but it might kill her.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Trast posted:

Wow, that looks awesome. I might have to scrap up some cash and start reading that series.

Do it. It's gloriously enjoyable. The intro arc was a misstep, but everything since then has been gold, IMHO.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I guess he saw a certain famous masterpiece by Greg Land and thought this would be a good homage:

That's actually a Greg Horn awful image he's referencing. :colbert:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Oops, you're totally right and I am dumb, I even made fun of Greg Horn earlier at length myself. To make up for this lovely thing I did, here are good things by Terry Moore, starting with a nice Ms. Marvel segue':

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not saying Dave Marquez, artist of Ultimate Comics Spider-man, is a bad artist. But what the gently caress is going on with this hand?

UCSM 25

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not saying Dave Marquez, artist of Ultimate Comics Spider-man, is a bad artist. But what the gently caress is going on with this hand?

UCSM 25

It looks like who ever colored it tried to switch the thumb and the pointing finger.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

UCSM 25

Makes sense to me. Thumb back there, pointing finger there, rest of it is an enclosed hand. I liked the art quite a bit.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

It looks like who ever colored it tried to switch the thumb and the pointing finger.

Once you pointed that out the hand sort of clicked together for me and made sense. That's probably what it is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

Makes sense to me. Thumb back there, pointing finger there, rest of it is an enclosed hand. I liked the art quite a bit.

Ohh, you're saying the pointing finger is below the thumb, pointing out of the page. That's a funny looking thumb then but it makes sense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah, that looks about right, but it broke my brain when I first saw it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

That's because the helmet looks awful.

gently caress you the full costume with helmet is the best

Avengers #8

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Upcoming issue of Green Arrow.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Whoa. Should I be picking up Green Arrow again?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ShortStack posted:

Whoa. Should I be picking up Green Arrow again?

Yup. Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino do good comics.
They took over at #17.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Lurdiak posted:

UCSM 25
Alternatively, it may be Spider-girl's glove which has a misleading pattern.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Right in the middle of the MAX run of Punisher Howard Chaykin did the art for one issue out of the entire run. His style clashed with the entirety of the rest of the series and the art really stood out. Most of the issue wasn't terrible, but two panels are particularly hideous.

Punisher with a tiny, stunted mutant arm..

..and giant, swollen, meatheaded Punisher

I can't help but laugh every time I look at this one. The expression on his pumpkin head is hilarious to me. The worst part is on the very next page he goes back to looking normal.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

It's like his head is so fat, he can barely open his eyes. Also he looks about 70 years old.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The thing that really frustrates me with Howard Chaykin is how it still feels like the comic industry really wants us to get excited that he's drawing something. I was -3 when American Flagg came out and everything I've seen of his basically since then has been just total garbage. He's actually bad enough that I'll avoid books just to not have to look at his freaky lovely art.

Hang it up, old man. I don't know who told you it was ok to ink with a sharpie but you need to get out of the game. Maybe write some new American Flagg for someone else to draw and dump it on IDW.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The thing that really frustrates me with Howard Chaykin is how it still feels like the comic industry really wants us to get excited that he's drawing something.

I feel this way about a lot of people that the big two inexplicably consider draws. Like, it's not 1988 or even 1995 anymore, why are you acting like Rob Liefeld, Jeph Loeb, Joe Mad, Howard Chaykin, or even Jim Lee are something people are gonna get excited over? Yes, they were once either critically or commercially successful, but that was literally a lifetime ago for a lot of your audience, and they've proven time and again that they've got nothing to offer anymore.

Sure, their stuff tends to sell decently, but not enough to justify all the hype and preferential treatment they get simply due to being Known Names, and definitely not enough that you can say it'd still sell without the marketing pushes they always get.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The thing that really frustrates me with Howard Chaykin is how it still feels like the comic industry really wants us to get excited that he's drawing something. I was -3 when American Flagg came out and everything I've seen of his basically since then has been just total garbage. He's actually bad enough that I'll avoid books just to not have to look at his freaky lovely art.

Hang it up, old man. I don't know who told you it was ok to ink with a sharpie but you need to get out of the game. Maybe write some new American Flagg for someone else to draw and dump it on IDW.

Satellite Sam is good though and nothing like his Marvel work.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Satellite Sam and Black Kiss look great. The common thing may be that they're uncolored and are projects he probably gives a poo poo about.

From Black Kiss 2 #2

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 2, 2013

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Waterhaul posted:

Satellite Sam is good though and nothing like his Marvel work.

If you don't want to get called a lovely artist, don't fill your portfolio overwhelmingly with poo poo, I guess.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dan Didio posted:

If you don't want to get called a lovely artist, don't fill your portfolio overwhelmingly with poo poo, I guess.

I dunno.

I wouldn't say Chaykin's portfolio has a majority of bad art. I think peoples opinions of him are coloured by the fact that a lot of Marvel guys like Bendis and Fraction got him working on current Marvel projects where the guys style just doesn't fit.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Chaykin really only does well when he's doing 50's/60's Americana. Everything else is so far out of his style that it looks bad and he should feel bad for doing it. But like Waterhaul said, you have people who love his Americana style and for some reason believe that transfers well to the major project they're currently doing. Instead of looking good, it looks bad and really throws off the flow of otherwise good books.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RevKrule posted:

Chaykin really only does well when he's doing 50's/60's Americana. Everything else is so far out of his style that it looks bad and he should feel bad for doing it. But like Waterhaul said, you have people who love his Americana style and for some reason believe that transfers well to the major project they're currently doing. Instead of looking good, it looks bad and really throws off the flow of otherwise good books.

I really like Chaykin's style for whatever reason. I enjoyed his Dominic Fortune series that was set in the 1930s -- the old-timey, square-jawed thing worked really well there. I'll admit that it's different from the style of most modern comic art, but so is Mike Allred's stuff. There's a mental adjustment you have to make, but I think it's worth it.

It reminds me a little (not as strongly, of course) of my first real exposure to Steve Ditko -- his art felt uncomfortable to me for a long time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Waterhaul posted:

I dunno.

I wouldn't say Chaykin's portfolio has a majority of bad art. I think peoples opinions of him are coloured by the fact that a lot of Marvel guys like Bendis and Fraction got him working on current Marvel projects where the guys style just doesn't fit.

I think you'd have to be really ignorant of the majority of his work at Marvel to say that it's a style that doesn't fit. It's noticeably amateurish, rushed work being pumped out by someone clearly capable of better. For whatever reason, granted, and I won't pretend to know, but it's hardly unfair to call the guy out on his most high profile work being bad, given the obvious dip in quality.

It's Chaykin's prerogative, and it's disappointing more than anything, but it's pretty bizzare to defend it in those terms. He just put out some bad work.

Saying 'the majority of his portfolio' was unfair of me, I admit, but I think the underlying point's sound.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Chaykin's art need a good colourist that understands what the hell they're doing. The horrible panels above are standard gradient colouring. Bad enough on its own, horrible here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Isn't Chaykin also responsible for this beauty:

Or does another 'artist' have stubby-arm-syndrome?

But yeah, Chaykin is a no-buy for me, and I've never really seen any work of his that justifies people making excuses for how atrocious his Marvel work is. I remember people posted some... I wanna say Spirit? Or some other Golden Age hero? comic pages he drew, and it was the same garbage that made me drop Fraction's Punisher run that I'd been loving until then.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I remember people posted some... I wanna say Spirit? Or some other Golden Age hero?

You mean The Shadow?

Yeah this is completely comparable to that Wolverine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's like his head is so fat, he can barely open his eyes. Also he looks about 70 years old.

Which makes Chaykin the only person to draw Frank Castle looking anywhere close to his real age. He was meant to be 60 at the time, but everyone drew him looking 40.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

You mean The Shadow?

Speaking as an artist and not someone familiar with his work outside of this thread: he has problems with arms bent in perspective (the angles in the sailor's arm in the foreground look off and not scaled right). Admittedly, it is really frickin' hard to do, which is a shame since his anatomy proportions look okay in standard perspective. The Punisher and Wolverine posted above look like the artist was just guessing on where the arms are going though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teenage Fansub posted:

You mean The Shadow?

He's exactly like Kyle Baker. When he doesn't give a poo poo, he REALLY doesn't give a poo poo.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
A few of my favorites. Will Eisner is one of the most expressive artists when it comes to human emotions.

Finnish comic artist Petri Hiltunen has pleasing art. He does black & white, which suits his style very well.

Joakim Pirinen does the best psychedelic scenes (sorry about the terrible image, dividing Stockholm into three parts would really deserve more space!)

And finally the Grand Old Man of Finnish comics, Tarmo Koivisto. Famous for his "Mämmilä" series depicting life in an imaginary small town somewhere in Finland, he has also done other comics. I love his expressive and economic line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

This is something that you don't really see too much any more, hand-lettering that has a context other than an innovative way to draw "BANG" - look at the question marks, how they resemble Hebrew.