Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Yeah, the redditor got it wrong. If it has 4x512 megabyte chips, that's another way of saying 4x4096 megabit chips, or 4 X 4 gigabit chips. All of them add up to 2 gigabytes of RAM.

On the processor side, is this a similar 4xA15 part to the GS4? Shouldn't that be significantly faster than the nexus 10's dual core A15? (ignoring gpu and other SoC factors? Or am I misunderstanding the leaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm pretty sure that's a fallacy. I've known people with Nexus 7s who had to get replaced and after the first 30 days were up, google punted them to Asus even though they bought them from the play store.

I really wouldn't assume you get better RMA support with buying from Google. Some people here and there may have gotten them to do something about it. However, once you are out of the 30 day window, you could very well have to deal with Asus regardless.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a fallacy. I've known people with Nexus 7s who had to get replaced and after the first 30 days were up, google punted them to Asus even though they bought them from the play store.

I really wouldn't assume you get better RMA support with buying from Google. Some people here and there may have gotten them to do something about it. However, once you are out of the 30 day window, you could very well have to deal with Asus regardless.
I'm in the UK where consumer rights are awesome but I know for a fact that here Google will cross-ship a new device for any reported defects within the first year.

Though, to be honest, I returned my original N7 to Asus and got it back after about ten days, the process was totally painless, the device has had no screen lift since, and the repair report also said that they replaced the speaker even though I'm not aware that anything was wrong with it. Pretty good service overall.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

MarsellusWallace posted:

On the processor side, is this a similar 4xA15 part to the GS4? Shouldn't that be significantly faster than the nexus 10's dual core A15? (ignoring gpu and other SoC factors? Or am I misunderstanding the leaks?

It's actually fairly close (if not the same part, I didn't look) to the Nexus 4 SoC.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I've personally done 3 RMAs directly to Google, 2 of which were at over a month after receiving my device.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

I've personally done 3 RMAs directly to Google, 2 of which were at over a month after receiving my device.

Yes, Google lets you RMA pretty much any time. There are people on XDA abusing this to get new revisions of the Nexus 4 that supposedly are "better" than previous revisions.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes, Google lets you RMA pretty much any time. There are people on XDA abusing this to get new revisions of the Nexus 4 that supposedly are "better" than previous revisions.

THE NEW NEXUS 4 HAS NIPPLES I WANT NIPPLES TOO

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mediaphage posted:

THE NEW NEXUS 4 HAS NIPPLES I WANT NIPPLES TOO

The nipples are too small to do anything

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Evil Robot posted:

Refresh it with what exactly? There's not much higher end in terms of screen or processor yet. Do you just want a materials refresh?

I thought there was a new chipset coming out from NVidia? I guess I was waiting for that. And maybe an Ice Cream dispenser, I don't know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nvidia STILL keeps over-promising and under delivering. I'd much rather have a Qualcomm chipset in there.

They can't even ship their own device with Tegra 4 in it, it's going to be the 2nd year anniversary of Tegra 3 by the time Tegra 4 comes out at this rate.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I've seen in this thread that at least a few goons have the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android, and I have a question. I just bought one off of Amazon and received it today, but I've been having trouble getting it set up.

It took me six or seven tries to pair the thing with my Nexus 7, kept telling me I'd gotten the pin wrong, and the prompt would randomly disappear too. I finally got it paired and figured out that the problem is that certain keys will do things they aren't supposed to do. The 'A' key will take me to the previous field and then display 'au', the Caps Lock key doesn't work, the 'E' key prints out 'e`n0', and the 'I' key prints out 'i.s', among a great many others.

My question is this: did I just end up with a lovely broken keyboard, or is this a symptom of some sort of misconfiguration that I can fix myself?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I really hope the build quality for the new nexus 7 is better than the first generation. I had a screen lift issue, and then my screen randomly cracked. Both issues were covered under warrantied, but still a pain. The headphone port now doesn't work. I'll probably wait after the first run to let the initial manufacturing kinks work themselves out.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pucklynn posted:

I've seen in this thread that at least a few goons have the Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android, and I have a question. I just bought one off of Amazon and received it today, but I've been having trouble getting it set up.

It took me six or seven tries to pair the thing with my Nexus 7, kept telling me I'd gotten the pin wrong, and the prompt would randomly disappear too. I finally got it paired and figured out that the problem is that certain keys will do things they aren't supposed to do. The 'A' key will take me to the previous field and then display 'au', the Caps Lock key doesn't work, the 'E' key prints out 'e`n0', and the 'I' key prints out 'i.s', among a great many others.

My question is this: did I just end up with a lovely broken keyboard, or is this a symptom of some sort of misconfiguration that I can fix myself?

Sounds broken to me. Mine paired immediately and types just fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Bout time they got wireless charging in there

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

Oh god I can't wait. Wireless charging for everything, please. Maybe they'll have the accessory out in less than 9 months. Where's that picture from?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Oh god I can't wait. Wireless charging for everything, please. Maybe they'll have the accessory out in less than 9 months. Where's that picture from?

Looks like officemax

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/17/new-nexus-7-coming/

Same sku number.

Engadget is also claiming an on sale date of the 31st.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Oh nice! My SlimPort will get even more use.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What on earth is a slim port and is there a cheap cable I can get to hook it up to my TV via HDMI?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EugeneJ posted:

What on earth is a slim port and is there a cheap cable I can get to hook it up to my TV via HDMI?

I imagine it's something like this

http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort%C2%AE-SP1002-Connect-connector-Supports/dp/B009UZBLSG

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
There are no cheap $2 slim ports yet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Thank gently caress. Wonder if it will work with any of my qi chargers.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
are there cheap QI chargers yet?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the fact that the prototype Nexus 7.2 has "nexus" in landscape mode on the back. Maybe it's meant to be in landscape this time around?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's an SA-Mart thread by a goon who's selling off his company's unused version-1 Nexus 7s for $155 including shipping.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the fact that the prototype Nexus 7.2 has "nexus" in landscape mode on the back. Maybe it's meant to be in landscape this time around?

I think you can just write the logo much larger if you do it in landscape instead of portrait.

At least that's what I do when I need to print off a spreadsheet.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's an SA-Mart thread by a goon who's selling off his company's unused version-1 Nexus 7s for $155 including shipping.

But does it do wireless charging? :colbert:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

On Swappa they were selling for $100 a couple hours ago, now N7 are $120. http://swappa.com/buy/nexus-7-wifi. Swappa is an XDA project so it's XDA people dumping them in prep for the new ones.

Also the 9in Nook is down to $140 along with direct instructions to get CM10.1. I hate the fact it's got a stupid charger but at $140 for a 1920x1280 screen I think I have to pick this up.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/99098/ebay-16gb-barnes-noble-nook-hd-9-1080p-wifi-tablet?page=5#comments

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm "flipping" my Nexus 7 tomorrow.

Flippin' it right back to Staples under the 14-day return window. I won an iPad mini yesterday for attending some online webinar for enterprise software. Drew my name out of a hat or something. Free is good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

hotsauce posted:

I'm "flipping" my Nexus 7 tomorrow.

Flippin' it right back to Staples under the 14-day return window. I won an iPad mini yesterday for attending some online webinar for enterprise software. Drew my name out of a hat or something. Free is good.

Pure profit.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/359087561404211201

ThermoPhysical posted:

Both the prototype video and the leaked press render have the "ASUS" in portrait orientation like before, so that's not it (otherwise it would be like the Nexus 10 which has both logos in landscape).

The contrasting logos just reflect the two main use cases of the portable tablet form factor: Reading and Gaming. Google took landscape since they probably intend the use the device to promote/spearhead Play Games.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Internet has a bestbuy ad for next Sunday at 229$ for the 16 gig. Though it isn't clear what radios that has in it. Pretty reasonable price for a wifi only. Not sure if 16 is enough, or if I'll get 50$ more use out of a 32 gig.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Slo-Tek posted:

Internet has a bestbuy ad for next Sunday at 229$ for the 16 gig. Though it isn't clear what radios that has in it. Pretty reasonable price for a wifi only. Not sure if 16 is enough, or if I'll get 50$ more use out of a 32 gig.

This post confused me so I'll point out that the ad will be released next Sunday, but the Nexus is slated for release on Tuesday the 30th.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
Should my CPU usage be 4.74/4.95/4.36 sitting at idle per the onscreen cpu overlay?

I bought a cheap coby tablet for my kids, but the drat thing is slow as hell even at idle. MID7065-8. ICS 4.0.4

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Are you talking about the "Show CPU usage" toggle in developer options? My Nexus 4 shows ~2 for each of those values but the reason your tablet is slow is because you bought a lovely Coby tablet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can order the new 32gb Nexus 7 right now in an officemax store using the sku 2412-7222. No idea if it will ship though.

16gb should work as well if we had a sku.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Don Lapre posted:

You can order the new 32gb Nexus 7 right now in an officemax store using the sku 2412-7222. No idea if it will ship though.

16gb should work as well if we had a sku.

Is the new Nexus 7 worth buying over last year's model?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Alehkhs posted:

Yes.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Alehkhs posted:

Current speculation:
Snapdragon 600 quad core (vs Tegra3 quad core)
2GB (vs 1GB)
7" 1200x1920 LCD (vs 1280x800)
Front & Rear cameras (vs. front camera)

So, it depends on what you want to use it for. Current model is completely adequate for most people.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If it is a snapdragon 600 it should be more than twice as fast as the tegra 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What kills me is these stores have inventory right now but won't be able to sell till the 31st.

All of THAT is probably due to Google wanting to ensure the first orders from Play hit at the same time of retail availability. I really wanted to snag a new Nexus 7 before I left for vacation on Friday, but it looks like I'm going to come up a few days short.