Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
K that settles it. I shall get Sleeping Dogs. Thanks for the advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Present posted:

K that settles it. I shall get Sleeping Dogs. Thanks for the advice!

Just keep in mind sleeping dogs has no co-op, and saints row does.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

The Impaler posted:

Did anyone else like popping baddies with point blank tear gas canisters in Year of the Snake? I felt that outside that, and the grapple stuns (press and hold more more zzapin'!) the DLC was a bit lacking though, with quite an anticlimatic ending.

Yeah, I just beat it today and was surprised that the DLC ended really abruptly.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, I just beat it today and was surprised that the DLC ended really abruptly.
Yeah I was expecting to have the cult leader have one last ace up his sleeve at midnight but yeah...

The taser and tear gun are great though.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The fact that the game basically tells you "Don't use these for the gas; Peg some perps in the junk with gas grenades" was what made the riot mission my favorite. Just pushing up the hill with three other SWAT buddies and a glorified potato cannon, occasionally pausing to wail on a few people with a protestor's sign. I got to be the man keeping the people down, and it was so much fun. The end of the DLC was disappointing after that to say the least.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?
I went over the last few pages and didn't see this question answered exactly. What DLC is actually worth getting, if I've never played the game before? I don't want to make it super easy, and I gather lots of the DLC does exactly that. Plus I don't want to burn another $20 on costumes.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

lechunnel posted:

I went over the last few pages and didn't see this question answered exactly. What DLC is actually worth getting, if I've never played the game before? I don't want to make it super easy, and I gather lots of the DLC does exactly that. Plus I don't want to burn another $20 on costumes.

You want the story dlcs: Nightmare In North Point, The Zodiac Tournament and Year Of The Snake.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

fspades posted:

You want the story dlcs: Nightmare In North Point, The Zodiac Tournament and Year Of The Snake.
SWAT Pack and Wheels of Fury.
The rest if you like silly costumes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Triad Enforcer will give you some repeatable missions that allow you to grind Triad XP (which is much harder to get than the others) and a car and outfit that are good without being cheaty.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Just in case it matters to anyone... I read that if you disable a DLC .dat file, you won't be able to open existing savegames. HOWEVER, I was playing around and I managed to add and remove a bunch of them at will with no negative consequences. When I removed an outfit/car/whatever out-of-game, those items simply disappeared from my save without affecting anything else.

I can't guarantee that messing around with DLC like that won't gently caress something up, but my tests seemed promising at least. That said, since I wasn't very far into the game when I decided to get rid of some of the wackier DLC modules, I did start my own game over again just to avoid any trouble down the road.

THE MORE YOU KNOW

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
This games combat is kicking my rear end. I'm probably simply not used to it yet, but I had to redo the club dancefloor brawl six times because I just kept dying. I feel in dire need of an "Easy" difficulty.

Other than that I'm having the time of my life. I kinda regret that I went and got the "Wheels of fury"-car - it feels extremely out of place considering I'm only ~4 hours into the game and I have no idea why it was just handed to me, but on the bright side it's a lot of fun. I'm going to have to restrain myself to not use it until later on in the game.

So yeah - great game so far, but I wish I was better at the combat. :shobon:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I had trouble with the early combat too, but once I learned to Always Be Countering, that helped a lot. The other big thing is you should pick up the leg-breaker special move as soon as possible -- every time you use that it makes all your opponents go :gonk: and back away, which helps to prevent you from getting swarmed.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lamquin posted:

This games combat is kicking my rear end. I'm probably simply not used to it yet, but I had to redo the club dancefloor brawl six times because I just kept dying. I feel in dire need of an "Easy" difficulty.

Other than that I'm having the time of my life. I kinda regret that I went and got the "Wheels of fury"-car - it feels extremely out of place considering I'm only ~4 hours into the game and I have no idea why it was just handed to me, but on the bright side it's a lot of fun. I'm going to have to restrain myself to not use it until later on in the game.

Have you tried the combat practice at the martial arts club? (Where you turn in the chinese zodiac collectables) Thats what really made the combat click for me. Once you get the hang of which enemies you can grapple, which you cant, which will counter strikes and so on it makes a big difference. Apart from that remember not to mash Counter because if you mis-time it you will just strike a pose and then get punched in the face. Aside from that combat does get easier with a) Practise and b) Getting more moves/combos/running attacks followed by breaking someones leg.

Edit: Countering is super important in this game; when I say dont mash counter I literally mean dont mash the button, get the timing down so you can press it at the correct time to successfully counter.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Lamquin posted:

I spent at least 2 hours on that dance club mission, its the first hard mission in the game. Like CharlieFoxtrot said, counter counter counter. You can actually win fights doing nothing but counters because of the damage you do. (This is good practice and you should try it at least once.)

E: Also because finishing off enemies with a slow mo kick to the face is baller as gently caress.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 20, 2013

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lamquin posted:

Perhaps the most important thing to learn is that mashing the counter button will not work. Unless you hit the counter button when an enemy is actually counter-able, Wei will stand there like a jackass for a second and you can't do anything during that time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Another piece of advice is just to go all out on the grappler dudes. They have absolutely no defenses and if you throw some strong moves into your combos you can effectively hit stun them until they are dead.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Another piece of advice is just to go all out on the grappler dudes. They have absolutely no defenses and if you throw some strong moves into your combos you can effectively hit stun them until they are dead.

Seconding this. These guys will punish you with unblockable grabs, and the only way out is to hit some QTEs. That can be tough if you're like me and start button-mashing in aggravation when you get grabbed, resulting in an auto-fail and taking a bunch of unnecessary damage. They don't block at all, so it's easy to just cut loose on them. Never give them a chance to attack and your life will be much less stressful.

The second rule of combat is to buff up before doing it! Eat food, drink tea, use the sodas that boost your damage if you're not worried about grinding Triad XP. Fights become much easier when you've got damage reduction and constant health regeneration up.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I just spent a ton of points buying all the add-on cars and outfits and weapons and such. Should I go all in and grab the DLC missions too?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
I realized I could drive a bike into my apartment.

:allears: I love this game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I just spent a ton of points buying all the add-on cars and outfits and weapons and such. Should I go all in and grab the DLC missions too?
Get Year of the Snake at least if only for the taser, tear gas gun, and the ability to arrest people.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Get Year of the Snake at least if only for the taser, tear gas gun, and the ability to arrest people.

Oh hell yea

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
-Year of the Snake for the above reasons, and also if you want to see Wei wear a uniform for once

-Nightmare in North Point if you like Big Trouble in Little China, or cheesy horror in general

-Zodiac Tournament if you like, well, martial arts tournaments (brief, but fun)

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

isk posted:

-Year of the Snake for the above reasons, and also if you want to see Wei wear a uniform for once

-Nightmare in North Point if you like Big Trouble in Little China, or cheesy horror in general

-Zodiac Tournament if you like, well, martial arts tournaments (brief, but fun)

Of course, if you don't like BTLC you should get your head examined.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Get the ones mentioned above, but especially Zodiac Tournament cause while you're on that island all your punches and kicks make gloriously cheesy sound effects like a genuine Kung-Fu movie.

I'm also pretty sure no one's dialogue was lip synched... intentionally. :allears:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

If you have one of the DLC costumes with the Counter buff, you become a drat superhero. In "Death By a Thousand Cuts", you have to beg for enemies to kill you. If you don't have the Martial Arts pack, it's the next best thing because "Death By A Thousand Cuts" never actually ends. Great way to let off some steam.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

JPrime posted:

You can, you have to go rename certain .dat files in your Steam folder. See here: http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4292

Say I rename one of the Top Dog DLCs. When I start a New Game it won't load that DLC up, right? But if I were to fix the .dat file to its original name would the game detect the Top Dog DLC in my current save file?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

isk posted:

Yeah, it has a very BTILC or Evil Dead feel to it, like a deadpan horror-comedy involving Hong Kong street gangs and hopping zombies.

Just be prepared for a lot of Kung Fu, anybody who hasn't played it yet. It's entirely martial-arts-based, just fighting and driving to fights. But it changes the entirety of North Point into a spooky haunted playground full of punchable undead, so there's that.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, it has a very BTILC or Evil Dead feel to it, like a deadpan horror-comedy involving Hong Kong street gangs and hopping zombies.

Just be prepared for a lot of Kung Fu, anybody who hasn't played it yet. It's entirely martial-arts-based, just fighting and driving to fights. But it changes the entirety of North Point into a spooky haunted playground full of punchable undead, so there's that.

Also random car explosions (not caused by Wei for a change). I did get a kick out of the fact running over the undead was pretty much encouraged with a tracker and everything; does that actually work vs. the "boss" undead guys, or is the sword/full face meter the only way to go?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

MadDogMike posted:

Also random car explosions (not caused by Wei for a change). I did get a kick out of the fact running over the undead was pretty much encouraged with a tracker and everything; does that actually work vs. the "boss" undead guys, or is the sword/full face meter the only way to go?

If you try and hit a Yaoguai with a car it will teleport onto the roof and pull you out of it. Consider trying it yourself before reading that spoiler though. It's something that should be seen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How does the DLC handle level-up abilities/fighting moves? I noticed that Nightmare/Year are separate, so do you just have all/none of the unlocks?

And so Zodiac is integrated into the base game? I had to reinstall it and don't have my old save file... how far would I have to play to get to it? I love this game, but I do have a Steam backlog to work through...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

If you haven't gotten the nightmare DLC, holy poo poo get it. This is the funniest game I have ever played in my life.

"Idiot. Most chinese magic based on anti-freeze."

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 21, 2013

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Any tips for Zodiac Tournament? It's kicking my rear end even in the qualifying rounds.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SplitSoul posted:

Any tips for Zodiac Tournament? It's kicking my rear end even in the qualifying rounds.

What are you having trouble? Most of combat boils down to countering or running away from grapplers until everyone else is dead. Spam Leg Break.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

SplitSoul posted:

There's one of those wooden martial arts training posts out in the main courtyard. You can use that to gain a buff to your melee damage.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Saw 70 new posts in this thread, thought there was an announcement of some new content or something but half of them are people asking which DLC to get without reading any other posts it seems. Here's a handy guide that I guess should be quoted on every new page:

quote:

I recommend:

Expansions:

Nightmare in Northpoint - Halloween expansion themed like a chinese horror movie. Cheesy and a lot of fun. About two to three hours worth of content. This is not part of the main game and is selected from the main menu.

Zodiac Tournament:
A fun little tournament romp inspired by some older kung fu movies. Fun but short. value is debatable at normal price but on sale sure. This one is available in the main story.

Year of the Snake:
Set in the aftermath of the main story, you are busted down to a beat cop giving out tickets and giving tourists directions, but on a routine patrol during the Chinese New Year Festival, you are thurst centre stage of an apocalypse cult wrecking havoc in the streets. another 2 to 4 hour expansion, a lot of fun. Taze people repeatedly. This is not part of the main game and is selected from the main menu.

Wheels of Fury:
A few extra quests added to the main story that unlock a crazy james-bond style tricked out car. Definitely worth it.

Beyond that, there are a handful of other nice small content expansions that generally add repeatable action missions. A lot of these were store exclusives at one point:

The SWAT Pack: drive around in a swat van and respond to randomised shoot ups, kitted out in swat gear. Not bad to get during a sale but nothing fancy.

Tactical Soldier Pack: puts an assault rifle with grenade launcher in all your appartments and a swatt/commando style outfit that reduces bullet damage in your wardrobe. Nice but pretty skippable if you don't feel like it.

Street Racer Pack: Simply adds a few more races for cars, bikes and boats. I think it adds a new super bike as well. Buy it if you liked racing I guess.

Police Protection Pack:
You know those missions where you get in a car and have to gun down countless persuers on bikes and in cars. This is a long one of those that's on the highway and is infinitely repeatable. Simple destructive fun.

Martial Arts Pack:
You know the mission where you have to beat up the monks. Yeah well it's that except there are infinite monks and you keep going to you you are beaten or leave the area.

Triad Enforcer Pack:
This one adds a triad themed highway shooter and a new unending fight club - except you have a golden, unbreakable cleaver. yeah. REALLY GREAT FOR FOR LEVELLING TRIAD XP WHICH CAN BE HARD TO MAX OUT.

The rest are mostly outfits with maybe a DLC car or something. Check them out, some of them are pretty neat but are up to personal taste.

There are a couple of DLC that you should absolutely avoid however as the ruin the game. They are:

Top Dog (gold/silver) Pack:
These just give you a boat load of xp and money at the start of the game when you get your safe house and ruin a lot of the levelling. If you've already beaten the game you might consider it but definitely not on the first play through.

The High Roller Pack:
Just unlocks some high end cars you can buy in game anyway. Waste of money.

Red Envelope Pack: Puts red envelopes filled with money outside each of your garages I believe. Buy it if you want easy money I guess?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Which of the preset outfits give you new attacks/animations? I know the Wing Chun one has that rapid punch move, anything else?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to fix mouse smoothing in this game? I have vsync off and raw input on and it still does it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So this game is fun, but I get artifacts all over the screen, it's hardly playable. I've switched drivers like 5 times, no dice. Checked temps, they're lower than other games that work fine. Running a NVidia 560 ti, anyone else having this issue? Want to like the game, it's very fun but it's also very distracting..

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How does the DLC handle level-up abilities/fighting moves? I noticed that Nightmare/Year are separate, so do you just have all/none of the unlocks?

You get a select few of them, but for the most part, each one's lacking a large number of them. I can't remember exactly which ones, but I don't think either of them has the jump kick followup, stunned enemy finishers or Dim Mak. Thankfully, most of the stuff from Year becomes available in the main game one way or another once you beat it.

Eddain posted:

Which of the preset outfits give you new attacks/animations? I know the Wing Chun one has that rapid punch move, anything else?

Drunken Master gives you a largely different moveset for around a minute whenever you max out the Face bar and Sun Wukong gives you a number of staff attacks as followups or replacements for Wei's heavy attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I like this game a lot, but it would be pretty swell if I could pass one consecutive hour of playtime without a crash to desktop :(

• Locked thread