Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Dante can't teleport in front of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jmcrofts posted:

Oh yeah that's true. I don't play Dante so I forgot.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

tynam posted:

Strider is an amazing comeback character with meter and xfactor. With lvl3 xfactor and orbs, you can OCV before xfactor ends usually through built-in solo mixups. Just remember that once you lose xfactor and have no meter, you're pretty much completely screwed.

Obv Strider assist is godlike and he's fun to play but he's sooooo overrated as a Marvel 3 anchor, you can put oppressive pressure on in XF3 but his damage multiplier is crap on top of having poo poo damage to begin with so good loving luck taking out a team before he turns back into a pumpkin. Insult to injury is that his XF3 time isn't even that good (e.g. Wesker and Vergil get an extra second or two). I watch top 8/16 of most Marvel tournaments and I don't think I've ever seen a Strider reverse OCV, the announcer gets hype and maybe 1-2 characters die and then the Red Bull wears off and the match is over, it might as well be Pandora mode.

The best Strider player I've seen (wish I remembered his name/which tournament this was) actually optimized the poo poo out of his XF3 combos with sword loops and held orbs until after XF3, IMO that's the direction you need to go in if you want to make it work.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Jmcrofts posted:

No, but you can control the timing of the teleport so it's ambiguous whether the assist will hit in front or behind - depending on the assist though it may not be possible to confirm.

But yeah Dante doesn't get any "fakeups" although he can still do ambiguous crossups with assists.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

tynam posted:

Dante pillar, Vergil rapid slash, Strider vajra is what I'd go with for assists. I'd personally go with Vergil/Dante/Strider lineup - Vergil can have some serious benefits from both pillar and vajra assists, plus you won't have to worry about incoming mixups with his terrible incoming options.

This team is a bit execution heavy though - things to learn are Dante BnBs that generate the most meter, Vergil sword loops and Strider lvl3 xfc combos + orbs combos. Strider is especially meter hungry, so generating as much meter with Dante is a must.

Your general gameplan is simply to kill kill kill with Vergil (made especially easy with the assists.) Make sure you convert any assist hit into a full combo - which should be easy considering how good both assists are.

When Vergil dies, it's up to Dante to generate as much meter as possible for Strider to play with. If you're already good on meter, you always have the option of busting out a lvl3 hyper for the kill. Remember to save xfactor for the next character...

Strider is an amazing comeback character with meter and xfactor. With lvl3 xfactor and orbs, you can OCV before xfactor ends usually through built-in solo mixups. Just remember that once you lose xfactor and have no meter, you're pretty much completely screwed.

What to watch out for the most is people snapping in Strider. The downside is obvious as Strider will get shredded apart on incoming mixups. On the upside, Vergil is now on anchor, and lvl3 xfactor Vergil with meter is just as dumb-strong as Strider there.

There's a ridiculous amount of tech out there for this team. If you really want to play it right, learn to use Strider on point with both assists. He's an amazing character without x-factor in his own right; great mixups, amazing buttons (sword normals), one of the fastest jabs in the game, a double jump, solid-ish zoning game, and his synergy with Dante backing him up is actually amazing. There's a local player here named CrazyJoe who plays C.Viper/Dante/Strider and he'll often play Strider on point just to practice, look him up. That way, when someone snaps in Strider (as any smart player who sees Strider in the third slot will do), they're actually doing you somewhat of a favor at the expense of a meter.

But yeah, the sheer amount of tech and shenanigans and mixups and confirms you have with that team is amazing, and it works well in every order. Just hit the lab consistently and see what you can find, and search out tech on YouTube and the SRK boards.

tynam
May 14, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

But yeah, the sheer amount of tech and shenanigans and mixups and confirms you have with that team is amazing, and it works well in every order.

Haha yeah after writing up my post I started really looking into playing this team myself, it just sounds so nasty.

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks for the advice everyone . Definitely going to have some friends over to grind out some matches as well as hittin the lab.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah Shuma's beam assist OTGs and that's a Really Big Deal for extending Haggar combos. There's no reason not to give him a try if you think you'll like him.

Funny, just went browsing YouTube for Marvel vids today and apparently Bulbamike just posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_OTUqDTlQ

There's more to this duo than we thought before!

Also, if you're going to play Strider, PLEASE be smart about how you call the assist. Strider has NO life and it only takes about 500,000 to kill him off as an assist. Certain characters like Taskmaster (up arrows), Nova (red health shield or beam), Magneto (pretty much anything), Haggar (Lariat), Wesker (forward B in the air, or something, not sure, but it hits Strider EVERY TIME), Doom (Air B, Sphere Flame + OTG after) have tools that will absolutely annihilate Strider off a hapless call so ALWAYS be aware of that. Strider with red health is always a bad move, as all it takes thereafter is one happy birthday or snap to really cripple him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Hulk's Meteor super kills Vajra assist deader than a doornail too. :(

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Funny, just went browsing YouTube for Marvel vids today and apparently Bulbamike just posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_OTUqDTlQ

There's more to this duo than we thought before!

I'll have to try out that corner reset, I'm not sure I believe that you can't airdash out but if so that'd be huge. It bugs the crap out of me that he's whiffing the pipe on his combo extension though, if you delay you can get it to connect inbetween beam hits for a nice chunk of free damage.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I'll have to try out that corner reset, I'm not sure I believe that you can't airdash out but if so that'd be huge. It bugs the crap out of me that he's whiffing the pipe on his combo extension though, if you delay you can get it to connect inbetween beam hits for a nice chunk of free damage.

Shuma: Secret top tier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19UngfowjvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbHc_1UaJLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJbl4zMXnM

That guy's account has some ridiculous Shuma tech, I think he's a Japanese Shuma player.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
In other news, Capcom thinks UMvC3 could use a balance patch. http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/19/capcom-thinks-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-needs-a-rebalance-asks-fans-to-discuss-possible-changes/

Watch them reduce Phoenix's health again. Also nerf Phoenix Wright.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
That just sounds like Capcom thinks the game is unbalanced, but still isn't willing to go through the red tape of making a new patch. I'll believe it when they announce a new patch is actually being made.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
When does the Guardians of the Galaxy film come out? It seems like there are so many cross promotional opportunities with what Marvel has been doing lately.

Also, remember Capcom also said AE would be the last iteration of SF4, Strider couldn't be added to MvC3 because of licensing issues, etc.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
The fact that they clammed up and said "nothing we can do" for so long and then suddenly they come out and tell people to think about what they'd like to see in a balance patch implies to me that they're at least talking to Marvel. There's no reason to raise people's hopes unless they're putting some effort in. Doesn't mean it'll come to anything but hey.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Broken Loose posted:

In other news, Capcom thinks UMvC3 could use a balance patch. http://shoryuken.com/2013/07/19/capcom-thinks-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-needs-a-rebalance-asks-fans-to-discuss-possible-changes/

Wrong. They'll buff Wesker and Doom, and then nerf Sentinel.
Again.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Broken Loose posted:

I expected to see a ton of "DESTROY MORRIGAN" in the comments, but it's fairly on point in terms of what needs fixing.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see them nerf Phoenix again. :rolleyes:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't wait for Astral 360 Vision. :getin:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Broken Loose posted:

Capcom? Listening? What dimension am I in?!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

TaurusOxford posted:

Capcom? Listening? What dimension am I in?!

Hey they apparently listened to the fans as one of the reasons to make a new Strider game!

And then subsequently crushed our dreams by sticking Double Helix onto the project, but such is life.

To contribute, the only thing I'd want out of this balance patch is a way to make Shuma better. I mean I acknowledge I play one of the shittiest characters in the game, but seeing a Shuma player get 3rd at EVO really makes me feel like he has potential.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Hey they apparently listened to the fans as one of the reasons to make a new Strider game!

The first indicator of the quality of the new Strider game is that it's called "Strider."

There are currently 4 Strider games in existence. They are called Strider, Strider, Strider Returns, and Strider 2. In that order.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Broken Loose posted:

The first indicator of the quality of the new Strider game is that it's called "Strider."

There are currently 4 Strider games in existence. They are called Strider, Strider, Strider Returns, and Strider 2. In that order.

It's actually, Strider, Strider 2, Strider II, and Strider.

I can't see "Strider" without the word becoming gibberish at the moment.

EDIT:

Wikipedia posted:

Yotsui said that Strider Hiryu's climbing abilities were inspired by his personal experience when he got himself stranded on the roof of Capcom’s building; fearing freezing to death and with no way to call for help, he climbed down the side of the building to reach a nearby fire escape stairway.

Lord Chumley fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 20, 2013

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lord Chumley posted:

It's actually, Strider, Strider 2, Strider II, and Strider.

I can't see "Strider" without the word becoming gibberish at the moment.

Oh god the cabinet art for Strider Returns/Strider II claims the title of the game is "2 Strider"

This is worse than Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

Oh god the cabinet art for Strider Returns/Strider II claims the title of the game is "2 Strider"

This is worse than Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry.

BBA Strider for Ultra SF4's ultra-secret character?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Alright, hypothetical balance change discussion time. I love this poo poo! Zero's buster cancels should cost 1/3 of a bar, he gets to keep all of his crazy toys but he has to be a bit more conservative about using them. Then Virgil's spiral swords should be swapped with his forward facing ones, so the initial activation gives you the forward swords and you have to spend a second bar to get the spiral; again he keeps most of his tools, they've just gotten a little more pricy to use.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Alright, hypothetical balance change discussion time. I love this poo poo! Zero's buster cancels should cost 1/3 of a bar, he gets to keep all of his crazy toys but he has to be a bit more conservative about using them. Then Virgil's spiral swords should be swapped with his forward facing ones, so the initial activation gives you the forward swords and you have to spend a second bar to get the spiral; again he keeps most of his tools, they've just gotten a little more pricy to use.

Are you talking about breaking sword loop combos, or can you double-activate fast enough to not drop the combo?

Edit: nevermind, forward swords would still work, right? You are just talking about stopping him from using a single bar to do/break cross-up mixups and assist punishes?

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 20, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
One thing they REALLY need to do is get rid of X-Factor 2 and 3.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Theyre never gonna get rid of Xfactor or the way its better the less guys you have, but what about just making Level 1 nothing but a roman cancel, Level 2 like Level 1 is now, and Level 3 like level 2 is now?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Other than adjusting character specific numbers for xfactor and maybe a slight adjustment across the board, I don't see why xfactor needs changing. ShadyK made a good point: for all intents and purposes, the design of anchor Strider and Phoenix (and I'd argue Arthur as well, but he's uncommon) really works well with xfactor currently and is pretty balanced. It would be better to look at which xfactor anchors are still hugely stupid (Vergil being the one that comes to mind most immediately) and what makes them that way.

e: but they would probably still have to nerf Phoenix if they nerfed her primary counters in Vergil and Morrigan, tbh.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Xfactor is crazy stupid but it doesnt hold a candle to the crazy loving bullshit stupid mechanic that is TACs.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
TACs should give you more time to counter, and should be weakened as a mechanic overall i.e. less meter removed/gained/hitstun scaling is normalized on them. Also TACs should be removed from the game entirely.

VigilantePrime fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 20, 2013

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

They should remove the timing factor from the counters completely, so just holding the correct direction would break it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Double Bill posted:

They should remove the timing factor from the counters completely, so just holding the correct direction would break it.

Wouldn't that make side TACs very weak? You could option-select side TAC break/block just by holding back.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Just remove the colored background that gives away the direction they're going for and add 5-15 frames to the counter window, then everybody has enough time to input their counter guess on reaction.

It'd be interesting to see what'd happen if they halved the minimum damage scaling, both in and out of xfactor, across the board. Getting a touch of death would be a little bit harder and resets would be more important. You could even raise the base damage of all attacks by 10-25% so that individual hits and zoning are slightly more important but we still have notably lower combo damage overall.

Brett824 posted:

Other than adjusting character specific numbers for xfactor and maybe a slight adjustment across the board, I don't see why xfactor needs changing. ShadyK made a good point: for all intents and purposes, the design of anchor Strider and Phoenix (and I'd argue Arthur as well, but he's uncommon) really works well with xfactor currently and is pretty balanced. It would be better to look at which xfactor anchors are still hugely stupid (Vergil being the one that comes to mind most immediately) and what makes them that way.

e: but they would probably still have to nerf Phoenix if they nerfed her primary counters in Vergil and Morrigan, tbh.

Hawkeye and Ammy probably go on that list too. I will say I don't like characters with that design, deciding when to activate Xfactor is a major strategic choice but when you have an anchor like that the choice is pretty much made for you. Could we solve the Phoenix problem by making snapping her in scarier so all characters have a better option for fighting her? Maybe, instead of being timed like it is now, snaps could prevent you from tagging/calling assists until you hit your opponent's point character. Additionally snaps could remove half a bar and prevent meter gain, again until you get a hit, so that snapping Pheonix in is always a threat.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Just get rid of TACs all together, they are stupid as hell. One thing I hope that wouldn't happen in a hypothetical patch is going overboard on Doom and killing him + hidden missiles

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

One thing they REALLY need to do is get rid of X-Factor 2 and 3.

Nah. Make it impossible to activate xfactor if you have a full team, effectively getting rid of xfactor 1, then scale xfactor 2 and 3 down to match what 1 and 2 are now.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

NecroMonster posted:

Nah. Make it impossible to activate xfactor if you have a full team, effectively getting rid of xfactor 1, then scale xfactor 2 and 3 down to match what 1 and 2 are now.

This is dumb because there are perfectly valid reasons and strategies for using level 1 XF. The best solution is to just adjust the damage of the levels a little bit, there is no need to go crazy

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Nodoze posted:

This is dumb because there are perfectly valid reasons and strategies for using level 1 XF. The best solution is to just adjust the damage of the levels a little bit, there is no need to go crazy

I don't really feel like "always kill your opponents first character if you so much as touch them" is healthy for the game.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I feel the X-Factor Damage/Speed bonuses are okay as they are (except for a few characters--like Phoenix or Hulk/Thor who don't get any speed), just that X-Factor time for all levels should be about half of what it is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Scaling X-Factor down a level to RC at level 1 has been suggested literally every single time there's been a Marvel update of any sort. It's not going to happen.

• Locked thread