Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

The elite and platinum gifts are up.
https://club.nintendo.com/elite-status-gifts.do

Oops two pages late.

How is Sakura Samurai?
Sword combat in a very Punch-Out way. Dodge and counter.
It's the best of the free games if you've already played Link's Awakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Doug Dinsdale posted:

It only cost me 4 bucks, but it still makes me angry for wasting around five ~ six hours on it to clear.
Did you actually clear the game (i.e. finish the last episode by getting all the monster cards) or just the last story episode? Because it strikes me that there's way too much random chance there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I heard that the VC Earthbound is a perfect port- no music has been removed due to copyright. Did they even change Pokey's name to Porky?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Y-Hat posted:

I heard that the VC Earthbound is a perfect port- no music has been removed due to copyright. Did they even change Pokey's name to Porky?

Nope, it's Pokey.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

ookiimarukochan posted:

Did you actually clear the game (i.e. finish the last episode by getting all the monster cards) or just the last story episode? Because it strikes me that there's way too much random chance there.

No, I saw the ending credits, and did run around looking to complete, but got sick of doing that in 20 minutes.
(I did confirm that there's no bonus or rewards for getting 100% complete other than a database mode.)
By then, I was so seriously sick and tired of the sickly sweet kid dialog, annoying and condescending narrator, poor screen switching mechanics, lack of compelling reasons to play, etc., to confine it to my dump folder.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Yeah, no GBA mode in Shantae. That takes out a secret spell you can get to play as Tinkerbat later in the game. It's fun, but it's not big loss. The "graphic enhancement" was just a change in the color palette. GBC games looked washed out on the GBA, so it just adjusted the palette to compensate.

I forgot how impressive Shantae is. When it came out, I knew the animation was really good for a GBC game, but the color effects they have going on are just insane for an 8-bit title. It really shines on a backlit screen, which I certainly didn't have on my GBA when I last played the the game.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Y-Hat posted:

Yeah it's a pretty much perfect port. Right down to the slowdown if too many enemies are on screen :3:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Doug Dinsdale posted:

poor screen switching mechanics, lack of compelling reasons to play, etc.

These two are what got to me the most.
Sadly I bought it full price which was a horrible mistake - a month or so later there was the Level-5 sale so I got Crimson Shroud / Rental Bukiya de Omasse for the same 800 yen (Nintendo Japan really need to sort their sales out - other than the Level 5 sale / Densha Ningen 1+2 sale they've merely had a handful of games at 100 yen off for a week or so which is terrible compared to Nintendo US/EU)

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Can someone please explain to me how 3DS codes work? I want to import a 3DS from America (since things take forever to reach PAL) and buy games digitally off the eShop. It's not IP-locked, right?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Megalixir posted:

Can someone please explain to me how 3DS codes work? I want to import a 3DS from America (since things take forever to reach PAL) and buy games digitally off the eShop. It's not IP-locked, right?

Yeah I think that's fine. I know people I follow on twitter buy things from the eshop with their US 3DS in Japan so it should work.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The T posted:

Likewise for the Oracle games and I'm guessing Shantae not having their GBA features. (Oracle games have 2 extra shops; Shantae had a slightly updated graphic mode and a few extra abilities I think?) I'm not even positive on if Shantae doesn't have them, but I don't see why it would if the Oracle games don't.

I completely forgot about the GBA Shop. Now I'm remember the mystery locked shop.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA Direct Mini summary:

-Streetpass Relay announcement; Nintendo Zone locations will store and share Streetpass data with anyone who passes.

I'm surprised this went without comment, considering what a huge deal it'll be for those of us who don't have a lot of places to go to get Streetpasses. I might actually be able to make measurable progress in my Mii Plaza games! :v:

The T posted:

Pretty disappointing that Mega Man V won't have it's Super Game Boy palettes. Same with DK '94, which had AMAZING ones (skip down a bit on the page).

I was actually messing around with DK '94 a while back, and while the SGB colorization on it is impressive, it comes at a cost in the sound department. I'm not sure why, but Pauline's screams for help, for instance, only play on the original Game Boy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FredMSloniker posted:

I was actually messing around with DK '94 a while back, and while the SGB colorization on it is impressive, it comes at a cost in the sound department. I'm not sure why, but Pauline's screams for help, for instance, only play on the original Game Boy.

Sounds like you're playing on a fault emulator. Pauline's scream is replaced with a voice sample on SGB.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Sounds like you're playing on a fault emulator. Pauline's scream is replaced with a voice sample on SGB.

Most GB/GBC emulators that support SGB borders and colors only do that, and not sound. Several SGB-enhanced games use the SNES SPU for sound and for that the emulator needs a full SNES core going as well. Space Invaders actually included a full SNES version of itself that's used if played on a Super Gameboy.

I think higan is the only emulator that can do this right now.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
If I remember correctly BSNES had all the Super Game Boy stuff properly emulated but it was pretty resource intensive.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://loveconquersallgam.es/post/2350461718/gently caress-the-super-game-boy-introduction

I feel like this article needs to be in any discussion on the Super Gameboy.

What's interesting about the Oracle games is that Nintendo disabled a book that instructed on how to use the link cable to transfer rings, but didn't bother to open the GBA shop. I got the advance rings by creating a new game+ code with them.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

absolutely anything posted:

If I remember correctly BSNES had all the Super Game Boy stuff properly emulated but it was pretty resource intensive.

Last time I messed with Bsnes/higan the Super Game Boy functions were okay but the sound constantly popped and it was really obnoxious as gently caress.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dehry posted:

What's interesting about the Oracle games is that Nintendo disabled a book that instructed on how to use the link cable to transfer rings, but didn't bother to open the GBA shop. I got the advance rings by creating a new game+ code with them.
That's the crazy thing, because it would take literally one line of code to change the value of the register that says the ROM is running on a GBA, and yet they constantly do way more intensive ROM patches all the time.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm surprised this went without comment, considering what a huge deal it'll be for those of us who don't have a lot of places to go to get Streetpasses. I might actually be able to make measurable progress in my Mii Plaza games! :v:

It's old news. I think this is the first time it's been addressed in a Nintendo Direct, but they announced it sometime around or before E3 I wanna say.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It was mentioned in the most recent investor's briefing, I think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But what is a Nintendo zone? I know Best Buy is. Are there a lot?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Best Buy, McDonalds, AT&T, or probably I'm guessing a router in your house with a "attwifi" SSID. If we can't game this system to run a goon streetpass relay I will be horribly disappointed. I assume it just dials out to some Nintendo server with the SSID and MAC address of the Nintendo Zone you're using, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
At 8 bucks Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale isn't a bad game but it definitely isn't for everyone. If you find yourself swooning over the graphics or have had a passing interest in the Boku no Natsuyasumi series I would encourage you to purchase the game but would ward other gamers to steer clear.

It's a simple adventure game that's buoyed by it's charm but is dragged down by it's tedious gameplay. You play as a young boy who has just moved to Tokyo, set on a quest to deliver laundry. This is where the game shines.The kids sound a bit off and the pc often feels disassociated from the plot but the story will put a smile on your face several times. It really presents a nice balance between the player's/child's perceptions.

Sadly it's execution is flawed. The game tells you exactly where to go and will have you walking the whole length of the map back and forth for a tiny bit of exposition. This is particularly painful as the camera/awkward map will have going the wrong way often. There's nothing to break up the tedium either as the game exists purely on exposition. A simple touch puzzle would have worked wonders. Not to mention that the game auto saves after every event. Combined with a lot of unskippable text the game can drag.

The only true gameplay is a Rochambeau card game that gets old fast and relies predominately on card strength. To get new cards you need to collect colored orbs which are littered throughout the game.You need to collect around 8 to even get a card so you are constantly tripping over them. Every time you complete a story event orbs are thrown at you which kind of ruins the moment.

The game is very short. The credits rolled in 2.5 hours and I tend to dawdle more than most gamers. The postgame is a complete grindfest and offers little more than tying up some loose ends.

I was mulling quitting the tile halfway though but the game loses well and would buy it again if given the shot.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

For some reason I bought Xevious on the 3DS eShop a couple of days ago and I'm kinda surprised by how much I've been playing it. Are there any similar games I could buy? I was thinking of getting TwinBee next.

Also it is insane how catchy Xevious' three seconds of constantly looping music is

E: Thanks!
vvvvvvvvvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 22, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Twinbee is a little more advanced than Xevious but the general "shoot air enemies, bomb ground enemies" gameplay is pretty similar, so it'd definitely be a good choice. Would have been nice if they'd gone full widescreen like with the Xevious port, though.

Other good shooting games currently available on the eShop include Kokuga (top-down tank game from the dude who designed Ikaruga) and Nano Assault EX (half twin-stick, half rail shooter), and you can also pick up the NES version of Gradius on the Virtual Console.

Upcoming eShop shooting games include Chain Blaster (doujin Every Extend clone), 3D remakes of some classic Sega games (Space Harrier, Galaxy Force II) and some more NES VC games (Life Force, Recca).

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Grain of salt because there have been delays to NOA's dates before, but Kid Icarus looks to be part of (or all of) this week's Wii U VC update in NA.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/4VEfb1mlzTaUGhsY1yUtSNJqH8JceAdz

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Check out 99 bullets too.

Each stage has a hard limit of 99 bullets and each hit slowly depletes your limited ammo. Trying to balance survival and high score can be challenging. The presentation is lacking but it's not a bad game at 5 bucks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Help Im Alive posted:

For some reason I bought Xevious on the 3DS eShop a couple of days ago and I'm kinda surprised by how much I've been playing it. Are there any similar games I could buy? I was thinking of getting TwinBee next.

Also it is insane how catchy Xevious' three seconds of constantly looping music is

E: Thanks!
vvvvvvvvvv

Xevious really is one of those shooters I should grab for portable play. You should also check out Star Parodius on the Wii VC which is based off Twinbee but with the weird cranked way up.

I really want the iPhone ports of Kenta Cho's shooters to come to Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Star Parodier is actually based on Star Soldier, not Twinbee.

Parodius, the Konami series that Hudson was copying with Star Parodier, is based on Twinbee, Gradius and a bunch of other games.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Υ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Υ

Twinbee is a little more advanced than Xevious but the general "shoot air enemies, bomb ground enemies" gameplay is pretty similar, so it'd definitely be a good choice.
Personally, I think Twinbee is a much better game since it doesn't have the adaptive difficulty that makes Xevious so loving hard when you kill every enemy that moves (or doesn't move if it's a ground target). Plus, the music in Twinbee that plays when you get a good power-up (like spread shot or a shield) is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1P29bsH84U

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Petit Computer is apparantley amongst the EU releases this week. Betting it won't appear in Australia.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Box of Bunnies posted:

Petit Computer is apparantley amongst the EU releases this week. Betting it won't appear in Australia.
Whoa, seriously? I'd given up hope on it ever appearing. The buzz seems to be kinda over for it, though. :(

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

irlZaphod posted:

Whoa, seriously? I'd given up hope on it ever appearing. The buzz seems to be kinda over for it, though. :(

I didn't post the whole thing because I didn't want to step on PSN's toes but the week's list:

quote:

Wii U
Pikmin 3 €49.99 (£39.99)

Special Offer: Panoramic View €1.99 (£1.79)
If you buy or own any three out of these four Wii U Panorama View video tours, you can download the fourth one for free! Only from 25/7/13 until 08/8/13.

Wii U Virtual Console
Kirby's Dream Land™ 3 €7.99 (£5.49) - US Version

Wii Virtual Console
SENGOKU 900 Points

3DS
Super Black Bass 3D €19.99 (£17.99)
I Love My Pets €29.99 (£24.99)

3DS Virtual Console
Street Gangs €4.99 (£4.49)

DSiWare
Petit Computer €7.99 (£7.19) 800 Points

Street Gangs is River City Ransom.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Box of Bunnies posted:

Doesn't matter. Australians can set their region to a EU country and retain any Australian funds if they switch back.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Box of Bunnies posted:

I didn't post the whole thing because I didn't want to step on PSN's toes but the week's list:

Street Gangs is River City Ransom.

Please, please, please come to the US!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of July 25):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Pikmin 3 - €49.99 / £39.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES) €7.99 / £5.49
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    SENGOKU (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Buy either Metroid or Kid Icarus, get the other for half price! - ends July 25
    Buy any three Panorama View tours, get the fourth free! - July 25-August 8
    Puddle (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 1
    Donkey Kong (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until August 13

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Super Black Bass 3D - €19.99 / £17.99
    I Love My Pets - €29.99 / £24.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Street Gangs (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
DSiWARE
    Petit Computer - 800 Points / €7.99 / £7.19
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Fractured Soul (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from until August 1
    Football Up 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.89 / £4.19 until July 25

Sorry dudes, I was out. PETIT COMPUTER!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I have my $30 eshop credit from buying Fire Emblem and SMTIV. What :krad: virtual console games should I be getting? I already have Link's Awakening, both Oracle games, Cave Story, some old gameboy game about a gargoyle, and Crimson Shroud.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Donkey Kong '94 is the best thing you're missing and also maybe check out the Shantae games (one of those is a DSi game not a Virtual Console game). I can't actually vouch for the Gameboy Shantae yet since I haven't started playing it yet, but the other one is good and the GB one is supposed to be too.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Pushmo/Pullblox and Crashmo/Fallblox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Donkey Kong 94 is a must. It's also available for 100 coins on Club Nintendo right now.