Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

DaWolfey posted:

Is there a twitter app that will fire a notification when a particular person - or better, someone who is in a twitter list, tweets?

I haven't found one, no.

On a different note, some good deals this week as part of the weekly "red stripe" deals program:

Weather Flow and Civilization Revolution are both 99 cents, and well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Fairway Solitaire is now available...I played the crap out of this on the PC.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I am brand new to Windows Phone having been an android user since the original gen Droid. I got my Lumia 928 yesterday and so far I am not sure if I'll be keeping it or not. I love the hardware, but it just seems 'thin' to me when it comes to the OS/Apps. Are there any absolutely mindblowing apps out there that you all recommend to someone to really show off the WP8? I really want to love this phone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Hm. That's kind of a vague request, but my number one most commonly used app is Weave News Reader. It's basically a pretty-looking RSS reader with a number of predefined feed groups; it utilizes the Metro design principle really well. Other must-haves which really enhance the OS are Weather Flow, a weather app whose best feature is good lockscreen integration, and Hey DJ, which has a very silly name but adds music-player functionality to the OS's main voice-command prompt (so you can hold down the Start button from anywhere on the phone and say "Hey DJ play album Abbey Road" or whatever instead of having to use the Music app's UI; helpful for listening while driving).

I don't really use RapDialer that much, but some people swear by it -- it's an alternative phone dialer that autocompletes people's numbers if you type part of the number in, or if you type in part of their name on the dumbphone-style-keypad thing, rather than looking up their contact card or finding them in call history like the basic dialer makes you do. It also has gesture support of some kind, but that takes some learning.

WP kind of lags in terms of games (games frequently come to the platform late or not at all), but my favorites are Wordament, Praetor, AlterEgo, and Jetpack Joyride. I'm pretty sure all of those except maybe Praetor are available on other platforms, though. The best exclusive is probably Skulls of the Shogun, but that's a $5 game (:monocle:) so if I were you I'd hold off on it until I knew I could stick with the platform.

Also, OneNote is really good at what it does, but I'm pretty sure that's preloaded (?) so that's less of an app recommendation and more of a phone feature that should be emphasized.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

loquacius posted:

Lots of recommendations

Thanks. When I purchased the phone, I got a $25 credit to the Windows Phone app store, so I'm fine with trying a few paid apps as well. I got weatherflow and like that. I'm thinking of the apps I'm missing from my android phone. Keyring was a biggie. It let me use the camera as a barcode scanner, scan all my loyalty program cards and store them on my phone. Then in the store, I just tap the store name and my barcode comes up.

I've found clients for google voice and google play music, so those are covered.

I think what I may be missing most are time-wasting games. I'll give your recommendations a try.

Thanks!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Phummus posted:

Keyring was a biggie. It let me use the camera as a barcode scanner, scan all my loyalty program cards and store them on my phone. Then in the store, I just tap the store name and my barcode comes up.
Thanks!

Weird. I have Key Ring on my phone, but it's no longer published for some reason. Maybe the company pulled it? They did get bought in the last year or so.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/key-ring/7c4b5a24-f627-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

Windows Phone 8 does have a "wallet" app that you can add cards to, but it's a woefully underused feature and I've never actually found an app that can succesfully add a loyalty card to it.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 19, 2013

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Phummus posted:

I think what I may be missing most are time-wasting games. I'll give your recommendations a try.

Thanks!

My favorite game on the phone is Spellship Tactics. It plays like chess, but when your ships attack the enemy, combat is real time. If you're good at the combat, you can take on a queen with a pawn and win. Also, there are three playable races that each play differently.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I can still download the .xap file for Keyring from the Windows store. Is there a way to manually install?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Any word yet on when Nextgen is updating with support for Feedly? Reader is shutting down in 10 days, so I migrated to the Feedly, but I have not been using it since my devices can still only stay in sync with Reader.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lifespan posted:

Any word yet on when Nextgen is updating with support for Feedly? Reader is shutting down in 10 days, so I migrated to the Feedly, but I have not been using it since my devices can still only stay in sync with Reader.

Apparently it's in beta now, although the clock is certainly ticking. If you aren't already, you may want to follow their facebook page, they seem to post there more regularly than their blog:

https://www.facebook.com/NextGenReader

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
http://www.wpcentral.com/official-tapatalk-app-windows-phone-available

Tapatalk is finally available with a free version coming eventually, but you can think of this as a developer donation version. I caved and got it anyway because I don't like the idea of possible limited features or ad support from a free app.

Depending on what forums you use it with, you might get different results. XDA works absolutely perfectly on it, but another forum I like has a few issues with the reply box not appearing and the timeline updates being labeled as several hours ago instead of recently.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Was playing Unscramble Pro and used up all the letters to solve with TRIANGLE but nothing happened. Cleared the letters and put it the word again. Stared at the screen but still nothing happened. Then I checked the Hint and realized the word required was INTEGRAL and before I could fill it in, time ran out and I lost!
But I used all the letters and that's what the game is about! So unfair :(

Then went back to the Windows store
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/unscramble-pro/373912ed-146b-4d3d-a95d-d132106e91b2

Can someone tell me how to leave a 'Review'? I'm logged in but there's no button or form or link.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 23, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Binary Logic posted:

Was playing Unscramble Pro and used up all the letters to solve with TRIANGLE but nothing happened. Cleared the letters and put it the word again. Stared at the screen but still nothing happened. Then I checked the Hint and realized the word required was INTEGRAL and before I could fill it in, time ran out and I lost!
But I used all the letters and that's what the game is about! So unfair :(

Then went back to the Windows store
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/unscramble-pro/373912ed-146b-4d3d-a95d-d132106e91b2

Can someone tell me how to leave a 'Review'? I'm logged in but there's no button or form or link.

Sadly, I'm not sure you can do it from the web. Back in the 7.X days I usually used the Zune software for this. If you tap and hold on the app on your phone, there is a "rate and review" option that pops up.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

Sadly, I'm not sure you can do it from the web. Back in the 7.X days I usually used the Zune software for this. If you tap and hold on the app on your phone, there is a "rate and review" option that pops up.

Thanks, that works. I used to scoff at people playing silly little games on their smartphones on public transit but the games and other apps really make the time go by quickly.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lifespan posted:

The feedly update for NextGen reader is in the store now:

http://nextmatters.com/2013/06/23/nextgen-reader-with-feedly-cloud-now-available-in-store/

Cutover was seamless for me (I was already on feedly cloud), nextgen asked if I wanted to switch it to use feedly, I logged in and all was well.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 23, 2013

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
There's a "Find Starbucks" app LOL. For Toronto there should be a "Find a block where there isn't at least one Starbucks".

Anyway...Pandora and last.fm apps don't work in Canada, does anyone know of a similar alternative that does? Thanks in advance.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

There's a "Find Starbucks" app LOL. For Toronto there should be a "Find a block where there isn't at least one Starbucks".

Anyway...Pandora and last.fm apps don't work in Canada, does anyone know of a similar alternative that does? Thanks in advance.

Nokia Music is pretty sweet, not that intelligent finding music suitable for you, but picking the three-artist-mix works very nicely.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Some new Windows Phone 8 apps:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...ws-phone-8.aspx

What's interesting here is that Walgreens app lets you login and add a store rewards card to the Windows 8 wallet, which is the first actual successful use of the wallet feature that I've seen.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 27, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

New Facebook app is finally out of beta:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/facebook/82a23635-5bd9-df11-a844-00237de2db9e

Supposedly they will continue to tinker with the beta version, for those that have it installed.

Also iHeartRadio is finally out for Windows Phone 8:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/iheartradio/3c8b508b-47a5-45dc-94a2-ff59e50f1fe3

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Its about time that updated that Facebook app. At least now it looks and feels like it should. Hopefully notifications actually work.

what's the deal with Voxer? Is it any good or is it a gimmick?

varjoankka
Jun 15, 2011

Rabble posted:

Its about time that updated that Facebook app. At least now it looks and feels like it should. Hopefully notifications actually work.

Anybody had problems with the online contacts not updating with new Facebook app?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I saw some posts around the web that the MS Youtube app was getting updated, but so far I haven't seen any changes. Has anyone else seen the new one?

EDIT: Apparently is is "no longer published"? What the gently caress?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 3, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm still on Phone 7 but I know Google and Microsoft were having a row about advertising or something, but Google wouldn't actually give Microsoft the information they needed to get it working right.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

CharlesM posted:

I'm still on Phone 7 but I know Google and Microsoft were having a row about advertising or something, but Google wouldn't actually give Microsoft the information they needed to get it working right.

Sort of, Microsoft wanted Google to give them access to their internal API which is used for the official youtube apps. Google doesn't care enough about WP so they said no.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Which Microsoft reacted to by making a screen-scraping Youtube app (i.e. an app that acts as a browser but reformats the page contents into a native app), but without the API they have no means to play ads, so Google tossed some legal threats at them and shut the effort down. All in all another of those rather annoying sequences of events.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Like I said when it happened, the amount of legal bluster Google was throwing around because Microsoft wasn't doing something that Google had refused to make it possible for them to do, right after one of the high-level Google executives (Schmidt?) had just finished making a big conference keynote speech stressing the importance of cooperation between tech companies, bordered on self-parody and I'm continually amazed that Internet people were still taking Google's side. I guess the context (Google's history of being blatantly anti-competitive in its WP dealings) is important here.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

JerikTelorian posted:

I saw some posts around the web that the MS Youtube app was getting updated, but so far I haven't seen any changes. Has anyone else seen the new one?

EDIT: Apparently is is "no longer published"? What the gently caress?

Supposedly an updated version is "coming", but that's the last I heard after Google and MS had their 15 second awkward public hug:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/24/microsoft_pulls_youtube_winphone_app/

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
6Sec, an unofficial Vine app, is now available in the store, and it's REALLY good. Seriously, this is miles ahead of the official Android version. It is actually stable, it plays the correct video when scrolling, and it hides the Revine/like/comment buttons behind the video which helps keep the interface clean.

It's really worth checking out.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Aviary Photo Editor is out today for Windows Phone 8 and has some free in app packs for a limited time:

Photo Editor by Aviary

If you've ever asked yourself "how the poo poo am I going to get this baby to wear a sombrero", your worries are over!

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I want to use a password manager on my Lumia 820, it has to support two factor ID.
Is LastPass my only choice, or will MS Authenticator also work with Dashlane ?

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Is this the place to say that Halo Spartan Assault is out on Verizon WP8 devices with +1gb of RAM. Exclusive till August 16th. I wrote up a thing on the games forum about it in the Halo 4 thread since it's a catchall. Best game on the platform I think, aside from the price ($6.99), and gross micro transaction stuff for one time use items.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Microsoft is in the process of releasing Windows Phone versions of some of it's Windows 8 Bing apps:

http://www.bing.com/blogs/site_blogs/b/search/archive/2013/08/07/bing-apps-released-for-windows-phone-8.aspx

They all currently show as "no longer published", not sure if they found some bugs, or the store is just janky:

Bing News
Bing Weather
Bing Sports
Bing Finance

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 7, 2013

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
This sounds like a cool idea, haven't tried it yet though. Make your own personal apps for whatever reason without being an egghead developer.

http://apps.windowsstore.com/default.htm

Developer registration is only $19 till the 27th too.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Microsoft is in the process of releasing Windows Phone versions of some of it's Windows 8 Bing apps:

http://www.bing.com/blogs/site_blogs/b/search/archive/2013/08/07/bing-apps-released-for-windows-phone-8.aspx

They all currently show as "no longer published", not sure if they found some bugs, or the store is just janky:

Bing News
Bing Weather
Bing Sports
Bing Finance

They seem to be up now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
When I'm sending stuff from my PC to my Kindle via the Send To Kindle Amazon utility, all my devices are available in the delivery list except my Windows Phone app.

I also believe that if I'm using a public domain book purchased outside of Amazon and send it to a device in this fashion, it'll sync the last read page etc. (is that accurate?).

So, how come the WP Kindle app isn't shown as a possible recipient?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When I'm sending stuff from my PC to my Kindle via the Send To Kindle Amazon utility, all my devices are available in the delivery list except my Windows Phone app.

I also believe that if I'm using a public domain book purchased outside of Amazon and send it to a device in this fashion, it'll sync the last read page etc. (is that accurate?).

So, how come the WP Kindle app isn't shown as a possible recipient?

windows phone kindle app doesn't support personal documents, just crap you buy from Amazon :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hooray, mommy and daddy made up and YouTube app is back:

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=dcbb1ac6-a89a-df11-a490-00237de2db9e

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

HAHA, first 15 reviews all say it's not working. 13 are 1 star, one is 4 stars saying MS is fixing it, the other is 2 stars saying I'm sure they'll fix it.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Stick100 posted:

HAHA, first 15 reviews all say it's not working. 13 are 1 star, one is 4 stars saying MS is fixing it, the other is 2 stars saying I'm sure they'll fix it.

According to Engadget, Google has blocked the app again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I wanted to share my new favorite radar app. Weather Radar Tile uses NOAA/NWS radars and weather forecasts. You can set the tile to display and update with your local radar, as well as multiple tiles for multiple locations.

Radar isn't as high definition as others, but I feel it is better data.

• Locked thread