Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

My 2 year Sprint plan is up. Looking at my past year of data usage, I never went over 500MB in a month. I used less than 200 minutes in call time. Is there any good reason to renew my plan with Sprint other than getting a discount on a phone upgrade? Paying $400 for a Galaxy S3 and moving to Virgin's $35 a month plan would save me money over Sprint's plan in about 9 months (not including Sprint phone upgrade cost, which would make it even shorter) and keep me off a contract. Plus I'd still be on Sprint's network and my usage is already under the limits of the plan.

Not trying to poo poo on Sprint, just honestly curious. Plus I can't find a Virgin Mobile thread.

Prepaid thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474380

Virgin Mobile will be a bit more hit or miss coverage wise than Sprint due to roaming. Compare all prepaid options, I would say TMo's $30 data plan would be a good one for you, and it would have better data coverage than Virgin. Nexus 4 at $350 is also a good option there.

Edit: Confirm with the prepaid thread, but i think VM does have LTE off Sprint now.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Grumpwagon posted:

One thing to consider about moving to Virgin is AFAIK, you can't use Sprint's LTE on it, so if your area has been developed for LTE, you'd be losing out on that.
I'm in San Francisco where Sprint apparently turned on (or is about to turn on) their LTE service. I am curious, though, why Virgin Mobile advertises that they have LTE availability.
"Enjoy blazing 4G LTE speeds where available while on the Sprint Network."
Any reason why that wouldn't be available to me?

Duckman2008 posted:

Prepaid thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474380

Virgin Mobile will be a bit more hit or miss coverage wise than Sprint due to roaming. Compare all prepaid options, I would say TMo's $30 data plan would be a good one for you, and it would have better data coverage than Virgin. Nexus 4 at $350 is also a good option there.
Ah, good call. I'll go over to that thread in a bit. Reading the details of TMo's plans, this is not what I want for a few different reasons. Won't extend the conversation here though.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86417206@N05/9301548819/

Hell, I'm just hoping that LTE will be faster than my home internet.......

Oddinary
Jul 25, 2006

Awake in a Dream

beamrider posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86417206@N05/9301548819/

Hell, I'm just hoping that LTE will be faster than my home internet.......
That would depend on how fast home internet connection is...

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE

Makkari posted:

That would depend on how fast home internet connection is...

The 2 wi-fi tests there are my home internet. "Up to 10Meg"...

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Comparison of my wifi to what I get on 3G at home:

I tired to test 4 more times on 3G, but I kept getting this:

So I would take 1/20th on what I get on wifi right now.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
When they start doing NV work on a tower does the signal there usually get worse while working on it? I ask this because I'm in Buffalo NY where they finally started upgrades. Downtown where I work I usually had a weak but mostly usable signal, and now suddenly I have no data and lucky if texts come through.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ninmeister posted:

When they start doing NV work on a tower does the signal there usually get worse while working on it? I ask this because I'm in Buffalo NY where they finally started upgrades. Downtown where I work I usually had a weak but mostly usable signal, and now suddenly I have no data and lucky if texts come through.

I am starting to think yes. Knoxville started getting LTE in the Spring, but since my service has been awful. I am going to give them a benefit of a doubt until they go officially live here.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

beamrider posted:

It will be then, with LTE at home I get about 10-15Mbps down but upload never tops about 1.5Mbps. (At work it's a completely different story though.)

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Grumpwagon posted:

One thing to consider about moving to Virgin is AFAIK, you can't use Sprint's LTE on it, so if your area has been developed for LTE, you'd be losing out on that.

Apart from that, seems like a good plan. I'd consider craigslist or eBay for a used S3. I'm pretty sure the Sprint version can be flashed over to Virgin (but check on that, I'm not sure).

Virgin Mobile absolutely gets access to the Sprint LTE network. And while it's not the best, it's certainly a hell of a lot better than their 3G.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ninmeister posted:

It certainly seems that way for me. At least, the sprintcare twitter account said they're both upgrading in my area and have an outage. I dunno.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005

beamrider posted:

You're displaying your results in kilobytes per second instead of kilobits per second. 10 meg = 10 megabit = roughly 1250 kilobytes per second. You're getting better than advertised speeds on your home connection.

Oddinary
Jul 25, 2006

Awake in a Dream
My home Wi-Fi gets 30 down/25 up. The best I've seen so far from Sprint, in my area (NYC), is 17 down/5-10 up. That said, NV isn't anywhere near complete here; it's anemic at best and worse than Swiss cheese.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

DaveKap posted:

My 2 year Sprint plan is up. Looking at my past year of data usage, I never went over 500MB in a month. I used less than 200 minutes in call time. Is there any good reason to renew my plan with Sprint other than getting a discount on a phone upgrade? Paying $400 for a Galaxy S3 and moving to Virgin's $35 a month plan would save me money over Sprint's plan in about 9 months (not including Sprint phone upgrade cost, which would make it even shorter) and keep me off a contract. Plus I'd still be on Sprint's network and my usage is already under the limits of the plan.

Not trying to poo poo on Sprint, just honestly curious. Plus I can't find a Virgin Mobile thread.

Have you considered that your data use is so low because Sprints network is utter poo poo? Honestly, there are many times when I just give up trying to use spotify, YouTube, download an app, etc because the network is so slow. If I could, I'd be streaming music on all my commutes, watching YouTube and Netflix at work, but I can't do those things.

My data use went down when I switched to Sprint from US Cellular (where I had a tiered plan) and one of the reasons I switched was to get unlimited data...

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Have you considered that your data use is so low because Sprints network is utter poo poo? Honestly, there are many times when I just give up trying to use spotify, YouTube, download an app, etc because the network is so slow. If I could, I'd be streaming music on all my commutes, watching YouTube and Netflix at work, but I can't do those things.

Same for me. All things must either be local or wi-fi only to not throw my hands up in frustration/give up.

Whereas I'd love to use GMusic to stream/radio, I can't unless I'm also on wifi.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Have you considered that your data use is so low because Sprints network is utter poo poo?
It took me a bit but, yes, I've come to the realization that this is most likely the case. As such, I'm checking with friends to see if the TMo waves in SF are faster than Sprint's... which is very much most likely the case.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DaveKap posted:

It took me a bit but, yes, I've come to the realization that this is most likely the case. As such, I'm checking with friends to see if the TMo waves in SF are faster than Sprint's... which is very much most likely the case.

How would it not be the case?

I wonder how Sprint's subscriber numbers look. I understand a bunch of goons lamenting the terrible speeds are not equivalent to the general public and their twitter habits, but I've heard from a lot of people who are/were on Sprint who got fed up with paying big carrier prices for poo poo data speeds and embarrassingly bad dead spot problems due to poor building penetration.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The Entire Universe posted:

How would it not be the case?
If every friend of mine who uses T-Mobile tells me that they have awful reception all over the city and posts speed tests somehow slower than mine, it would not be the case. This isn't happening, though.

I would like to note that Sprint's reception as a phone has been perfect for me. The only trick there is that I barely ever use it as a phone.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 18, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DaveKap posted:

If every friend of mine who uses T-Mobile tells me that they have awful reception all over the city and posts speed tests somehow slower than mine, it would be the case. This isn't happening, though.

I would like to note that Sprint's reception as a phone has been perfect for me. The only trick there is that I barely ever use it as a phone.

Sprint's the network for octogenarians who haven't got any use for that Tweeter or Facelook hogwarsh and just want a reliable phone to call Sophie and Ester with over Jeopardy.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sprint's the network for octogenarians who haven't got any use for that Tweeter or Facelook hogwarsh and just want a reliable phone to call Sophie and Ester with over Jeopardy.
Yeah and two years ago this wasn't true, thus why I'm switching. It's just a matter of making sure I don't somehow go somewhere worse.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I feel for those of you in non-NV areas. I routinely pull 2GB or more of Usenet data during my commute, and often even more at work. NV in Indianapolis made Sprint more than usable.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Trip report: A buddy of mine just signed up for a couple of those new plans through the EPRP site. Then he called in and was easily able to have them switch his lines to the old EPRP Everything Data plans. Saved $10.02 per month for two lines versus the new plans.

And NV upgrades have hit Portland, OR:

network vision and 3g is gonna be awesome for me i cant wait

td4guy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 18, 2013

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Is there a reliable app to download usenet/newsgroup nzbs on android? I'm stuck in a hotel and the internet is utter garbage but I've got 4G here and I want to utilize the poo poo out of it. Apparently I can't tether it to my laptop which is dumb.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I use NZB Leech and have no complaints.

ZArchiver is a decent no-frills decompression utility.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DaveKap posted:

Yeah and two years ago this wasn't true, thus why I'm switching. It's just a matter of making sure I don't somehow go somewhere worse.

I understand, I was on Sprint until about 3 months ago when my roaming usage (somehow the usually serviceable signal I have at work turned into Roaming and the WiFi sucks) got me dropped. They were good until around the time they announced NV.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ceebee posted:

Is there a reliable app to download usenet/newsgroup nzbs on android? I'm stuck in a hotel and the internet is utter garbage but I've got 4G here and I want to utilize the poo poo out of it. Apparently I can't tether it to my laptop which is dumb.

I like powernzb alright. The interface is a bit unintuitive, and I just use my browser to grab nzbs rather than customize their search page, but for all-in-one grab/par/unrar functionality, you can't ask for much more.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

If I try to change my plan the page says:

code:
Service add-ons you'll no longer need
We removed these service add-ons because either they are covered in your new plan, incompatible with your phone or older, obsolete services that we no longer sell.
 	img_select_services_Xed Miscellaneous: Google Voice - $0.00 removed	
Is Sprint axing GV integration?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So apparently Sprint has a new activation page that allows accounts with SIM-LTE devices to activate SIMless-LTE devices and vice versa (say, when you're tired of your S4 and want to swap back to your S3).

However, on my "SERO Premium 500" account, step #2 of activation is "Change your plan", for which the page states:

Sprint posted:

Instructions about what the user is seeing and what they need to do on this page to move forward in the ESN swap. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod incidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
(Not kidding, there's actually Lorem Ipsum on there.)

Anyways, it gives me the option to switch to these plans, none of which are SERO:
  • Unlimited, My Way℠ ($50/mo + $30/mo)
  • My All-in℠ ($110/mo)
  • Individual ($70/mo and up)

So, long story short, if I want to swap devices I have to have a CSR do it, as in the past?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I used the little chat button to do an ESN swap between my two phones. I couldn't get the auto dealy to work. The chat techs seemed competent and did it pretty quickly.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

If I try to change my plan the page says:

code:
Service add-ons you'll no longer need
We removed these service add-ons because either they are covered in your new plan, incompatible with your phone or older, obsolete services that we no longer sell.
 	img_select_services_Xed Miscellaneous: Google Voice - $0.00 removed	
Is Sprint axing GV integration?

I'm pretty sure all plan changes require disabling GV integration. You just have to enable it again. When my wife moved from android to iPhone early last year, it had to be disabled first, so it's been that way for a while.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Loucks posted:

I feel for those of you in non-NV areas. I routinely pull 2GB or more of Usenet data during my commute, and often even more at work. NV in Indianapolis made Sprint more than usable.

I found a new LTE area in Helena, AL yesterday that I got 20/10 on a speed test. In about 25 minutes I already downloaded a gigabyte of data

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

In Minnesota I've yet to see LTE speeds outdo anything a decent HSPA+ connection would do. Nice low pings though I guess? :shobon:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Omaha: LTE is apparently available at Crossroads of all places.

Non Omaha: Crossroads is a dead mall that has been dead for close to a decade now and nobody wants to buy it because the cost of tearing down a loving mall but leaving the anchor stores (Target, Sears, Barns and Noble) is pretty steep, and there's a much more fully-featured mall less than 10 minutes down the road.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So apparently Sprint has a new activation page that allows accounts with SIM-LTE devices to activate SIMless-LTE devices and vice versa (say, when you're tired of your S4 and want to swap back to your S3).

However, on my "SERO Premium 500" account, step #2 of activation is "Change your plan", for which the page states:

(Not kidding, there's actually Lorem Ipsum on there.)

Anyways, it gives me the option to switch to these plans, none of which are SERO:
  • Unlimited, My Way℠ ($50/mo + $30/mo)
  • My All-in℠ ($110/mo)
  • Individual ($70/mo and up)

So, long story short, if I want to swap devices I have to have a CSR do it, as in the past?

Always have Sero support do the swap for you. Never use any automated or online or even normal store/*2 support tech do it. It takes no time to get ahold of them and in about 5 minutes your up and running on your new / old phone.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So with the recent changes, will I have any trouble using my upgrade to get either an S4 or a One* with an EPRP Family plan?

*(still on the fence, that lack of 32GB version S4 is kind of getting to me, considering androids spotty app2sd situation :()

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Nope, it turns out that the old EPRP plans are completely unaffected and have actually just been added back onto the EPRP website. So they're not gonna make you change plans or anything.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Any reason you didn't go into settings -> Device self service on the new device to do an ESN swap from the old device. As long as the plans (between devices) are compatible you should easily be able to swap to the new one.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Non Omaha: Crossroads is a dead mall that has been dead for close to a decade now and nobody wants to buy it because the cost of tearing down a loving mall but leaving the anchor stores (Target, Sears, Barns and Noble) is pretty steep, and there's a much more fully-featured mall less than 10 minutes down the road.

Wow, Crossroads!?! Now I can be less bored while my wife looks at stupid stuff at Target. I picked up an LTE signal in Lincoln this weekend and my friends reported seeing one at the ballpark out west.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

That's... an interesting choice of sites. When I get back into town, I am so going to go hang out at the B&N Cafe just to see if I can get 4G on my phone. Maybe it'll boost business at that location :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
In the Cincinnati region I've seen tiny improvement, specifically the Mason/Fairfield area. Improvement as in 50% of the time picture messaging failure now almost certainly goes through. Small steps folks, small steps.

Seems silly that I'm happy that I can celebrate basic use, but I'll take it. Still yet to catch that illusive 4g beast, but I hear she's out there.