Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Good Citizen posted:

I would rather repeatedly slam my head in a car door than read every single page of the Trayvon thread, and that's coming from someone who listens to right wing radio for fun.

At least it's not the GBS one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Anyone catch some Sean Hannity today? I have Sirius in my mom's car, and he had Allen West on to discuss the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin case. It's really really amusing to me how West and Hannity can simultaneously yell about the African-American community failing to have upward social mobility while arguing to cut education and welfare. I just don't understand how you can reach that level of cognitive dissonance. Weirdly enough though, Allen West almost managed to come across as saner than Hannity throughout the whole conversation.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I normally find myself catching quite a bit of Hannity since he's on during my (fortunately short) commute, but I've spared myself a lot of grief and headache lately by switching from my car to my motorcycle. Especially this past week. Just didn't want to listen to his poo poo.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

TheGreyGhost posted:

Anyone catch some Sean Hannity today? I have Sirius in my mom's car, and he had Allen West on to discuss the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin case.
An indicted war criminal is always a good guest to shore up your talking points with. It lends real moral credibility to your side.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pope Guilty posted:

So what's the font of the river of poo poo?
http://www.hulu.com/watch/440821#i0,p104,d0

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Anus Dei posted:

Honestly almost everything he says sounds like Shake to me, but it's mostly when he gets into one of his insane yowling rants then runs out of breath, pauses, and says something quietly. He goes from 'I WILL RUIN THIS BIRD WITH MY ANGER' to 'you don't own space so quit acting like you do.'

Haha maybe here, at "I love this house and I'm going to transform it!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39AdchqsNvw&feature=player_detailpage#t=219s

Haha okay THAT was Master Shake. I LOVE THIS HOUSE AND I'M GOING TO TRANSFORM IT!

Other than that he didn't sound like Master Shake to me too much, but that line is spot on.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

TheGreyGhost posted:

cognitive dissonance

It's not cognitive dissonance, it's compartmentalization; which is the specific mechanism used to prevent them from feeling the discomfort of dissonance. I'm sure everyone here knows what you meant, but if you're going to call someone else out on it you'll want to use the right terms.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

NatasDog posted:

It's not cognitive dissonance, it's compartmentalization; which is the specific mechanism used to prevent them from feeling the discomfort of dissonance. I'm sure everyone here knows what you meant, but if you're going to call someone else out on it you'll want to use the right terms.

Quoting this because it really needs to be repeated.

Cognitive Dissonance is a term that a lot of people have been using incorrectly in D&D for years now.

Compartmentalization is definitely the better term.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Pander posted:

Haha okay THAT was Master Shake. I LOVE THIS HOUSE AND I'M GOING TO TRANSFORM IT!

Other than that he didn't sound like Master Shake to me too much, but that line is spot on.

More evidence that Levin is Master Shake. Isn't the overriding guiding moral principle for right wing media figures "meet my price and I'm yours?"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Is there some line going around now that Obama is racist "for thinking about race"? :psyduck:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Is there some line going around now that Obama is racist "for thinking about race"? :psyduck:

Well you see, when you have a black president roughly half of the country goes absolutely insane and must work constantly to hide that fact since we don't have split-race drinking fountains anymore.

It bubbles to the surface in some odd ways.

\/\/\/EDIT\/\/\/

LET THE MADNESS BEGIN :unsmigghh: :suicide:

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 19, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Expect things to go completely off the rails with overt racism in the next few days. If you guys hadn't heard, Obama got asked a question about Trayvon Martin and had a little impromptu discussion about racial relations that didn't boil down to "blacks need to bootstrap" and platitudes for white people, and apparently conservatives are frothing at the mouth and screaming about the coming race war. RaHoWa is upon is :suicide:

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Over the past week or so Levin has been going on about how the states can, without congress, introduce and vote on amendments to the constitution but I haven't yet heard him say what he wants in this amendment. I only get to listen for about 15 min a day so I'm probably just missing that part, or do you have to buy his book to find out?

He also keeps stressing that the states doing this is in the realm of possibility although I don't see how it could ever happen.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pixelboy posted:

An indicted war criminal is always a good guest to shore up your talking points with. It lends real moral credibility to your side.

"Coming up next, Oliver North to describe new findings in the Banghazi scandal, G. Gordon Liddy will weigh in on ethics in government and Geraldo Rivera will tell us what's wrong with modern Journalism. Also, Mark Fuhrman will be joining us to talk about racism and justice. Stay tuned."

This probably really happened.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Over the past week or so Levin has been going on about how the states can, without congress, introduce and vote on amendments to the constitution but I haven't yet heard him say what he wants in this amendment. I only get to listen for about 15 min a day so I'm probably just missing that part, or do you have to buy his book to find out?

He also keeps stressing that the states doing this is in the realm of possibility although I don't see how it could ever happen.

He's just book shilling. The book comes out in 2 or 3 weeks and apparently is about 11 liberty amendments that could save the US. The content hasn't been leaked yet but I'll repost them here when they do if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Regarding whether or not it would be possible now, it's very unlikely. Levin hand waves this by saying liberals have been working hard undermining the constitution for 100 years and conservatives need to make a similar commitment (but pro constitution)

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Basically this:

(Before anyone flips out, this is from The Onion's parody conservative editorial cartoonist)

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Nope, even if the states ask it to, Congress still calls the Constitutional Convention.

quote:

Article. V.

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

Basically this:

(Before anyone flips out, this is from The Onion's parody conservative editorial cartoonist)

Poe's Law came real close to making a fool of me

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Magres posted:

Poe's Law came real close to making a fool of me

To be fair there are a few recent comics in the political cartoons thread that are pretty much that but not ironic.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Pander posted:

Like I said, it's mainly when he's in a microphone-rattling rage that the Shake comes through. In fact it was immediately after the last election, during one of those massive "Republican tears" threads, when a lot of posters here were streaming Levin's show to enjoy his rabid despair, that people realized how alike they sounded -- but as you can imagine, at that time he was operating at maximum decibels in perpetuity, so there was much more Shake to be enjoyed. It's often uncanny. (I can't, however, answer Chernobyl's question about amendments, as I haven't listened to Levin since that election day mayhem. When conservatives talk about states' rights, though, you can probably eventually find a racial component. It's their way of saying: minorities can get their own states.)

Also, to whoever mentioned Hannity and Allen West, yes, the presence of African Americans on Hannity's show has shot up dramatically in the last few days. And they all seem to hate the African Americans on MSNBC. I'm trying not to imagine the thought processes of the people booking Fox News panels.

And finally, yes, as Magres said, Fox News is already in headsploding mode, thanks to that brief talk on race relations from Obama (which made me somewhat :unsmith: for the first time this week). They're really pushing this magical FBI non-racist ablution given to Zimmerman, as though an "investigation" through friends, family, and co-workers can establish the man's mindset during the confrontation (actually the 911 calls established that mindset just fine).

oh, edit:

BiggerBoat posted:

"Coming up next, Oliver North to describe new findings in the Banghazi scandal, G. Gordon Liddy will weigh in on ethics in government and Geraldo Rivera will tell us what's wrong with modern Journalism. Also, Mark Fuhrman will be joining us to talk about racism and justice. Stay tuned."

This probably really happened.

I can verify this, yes. I didn't linger on the channel long, but he was one of 3 or 4 guests in a split screen discussing the Zimmerman case. He's a Hannity regular.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 19, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Oh, so this is why conservatives are saying Obama's a racist. How dare he not say that America is post-racial :qq:

edit: it's begun :freep:

"Obama, Race Baiter In Chief!"

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 19, 2013

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Anus Dei posted:

Like I said, it's mainly when he's in a microphone-rattling rage that the Shake comes through. In fact it was immediately after the last election, during one of those massive "Republican tears" threads, when a lot of posters here were streaming Levin's show to enjoy his rabid despair, that people realized how alike they sounded -- but as you can imagine, at that time he was operating at maximum decibels in perpetuity, so there was much more Shake to be enjoyed. It's often uncanny. (I can't, however, answer Chernobyl's question about amendments, as I haven't listened to Levin since that election day mayhem. When conservatives talk about states' rights, though, you can probably eventually find a racial component. It's their way of saying: minorities can get their own states.)
For anyone who wants to listen to it, you can listen to the whole show on YouTube by searching for mark Levin 11/7/2012. It's pretty much peak election anger and never fails to make me laugh. I'd link it but I'm on my phone.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Good Citizen posted:

For anyone who wants to listen to it, you can listen to the whole show on YouTube by searching for mark Levin 11/7/2012. It's pretty much peak election anger and never fails to make me laugh. I'd link it but I'm on my phone.

Never even thought of that, thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMoT67Lp_aQ

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

@EmilyMiller on twitter posted:

Obama is the most irresponsible presidnet in history. Now we're having national debates about hypotheticals? #standyourground

https://twitter.com/EmilyMiller/status/358286523570991104

So stem cell research and gay marriage eroding the American family have been completely forgotten?

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus
Andrew Jackson oversaw the literal ethnic cleansing of Native Americans and Obama is the worst president?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DongsMcMurphy posted:

Andrew Jackson oversaw the literal ethnic cleansing of Native Americans and Obama is the worst president?

Well, Obama is waging ethnic cleansing against whites.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Obama isn't stoking the fires for a race war, but he regularly tries to incite class warfare!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Dr Creflo A Dollar posted:

Well, Obama is waging ethnic cleansing against whites.

Just wait until he herds all of us good god-fearin' conservatives into concentration camps :freep:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DongsMcMurphy posted:

But life sucks and his life sucked in particular. How can I tell you how deeply he made them all bleed?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DongsMcMurphy posted:

Irresponsible moments in recent presidential history:

"I cannot recall."
"Read my lips."
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
"Mission accomplished." ( I was really spoiled for choice on this one, and I'm not entirely convinced this is the right one)

and apparently

"I'm a black man and I could see a younger version of myself in Trayvon Martin's place."

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 19, 2013

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

edit: it's begun :freep:

It began 4.5 years ago. Reverand Wright, New Black Panthers, Kenya, Birth Certificate, "Spread the Wealth", etc.

Anus Dei posted:

I can verify this, yes. I didn't linger on the channel long, but he was one of 3 or 4 guests in a split screen discussing the Zimmerman case. He's a Hannity regular.

Hahahaha. In fairness, I guess if anyone knows anything about horseshit verdicts in racially charged court cases, it'd be Fuhrman, but on the other hand, god drat, FOX.

The thing I get most angered about with these right wing outlets is that they're single-handedly destroying the art of satire and making the writers at the Onion have to work even harder to be funny. That's not fair.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

colonel_korn posted:

Basically this:

The Onion's ability to parody is being rapidly eroded by the conservative right.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Good Citizen posted:

I listen to Levin on most days and IIRC peak Levin anger occurred not immediately after the election but after Boehner stripped some committee spots from Levin's favorite tea party nutjob representatives on 12/4, there's one point where he just lost it and yelled at the top of his lungs for a good 20 minutes straight.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 19, 2013

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

GutBomb posted:

"I'm a black man and I could see a younger version of myself in Trayvon Martin's place."

Really not surprising that a statement conveying any sort of empathy or emotional intelligence makes the conservative amygdala explode.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The best part about all this RACISM IS TOO OVER, WE'LL SHOW YOU: BRING ON THE RACE WAR frothing rage is that Obama concluded that press conference with a positive observation on the progress of race relations in this country.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Anus Dei posted:

I saw the link to the episode but I have to ask, was there ever a post somewhere of collected tears leading to/after the 2008 or 2012 election?

I search every now and then and I can't stumble upon the right keywords.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

The best part about all this RACISM IS TOO OVER, WE'LL SHOW YOU: BRING ON THE RACE WAR frothing rage is that Obama concluded that press conference with a positive observation on the progress of race relations in this country.

It was quite poignant too. He mentioned that when he looks at his daughters and their friends and how they interact, they're better than his generation. Every generation is getting better about this stuff, even if it's slow or sometimes "one step forwards, two steps back."

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Here's a tumblr collection of tweets about the Obama speech showing just how over racism is!

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/day/2013/07/19

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I saw the link to the episode but I have to ask, was there ever a post somewhere of collected tears leading to/after the 2008 or 2012 election?

I search every now and then and I can't stumble upon the right keywords.

2012 election schadenfreude thread (you'll need archives, though).

And man, @YesYoureRacist is working overtime, and I guess I can add "people who unironically say the race card" to the list of things I know not to take seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

I think I love you.