Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

otterley posted:

I was flying from the UK to Latvia recently and after check in but just before security control this woman stopped me and asked if I could deliver some letters to her sister or something (post them when I got there I guess). The letters looked like they were unsealed but I quickly refused and walked away since it smelled like a money laundering thing or some other scam. Now I'm just curious whether this is a regular act at airports or was I just overly cautious?

You should never take a package from a stranger at an airport.

In fact, you probably should have reported her to security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otterley
Jul 11, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

You should never take a package from a stranger at an airport.

In fact, you probably should have reported her to security.

You're right and I feel silly now for not thinking of that. I probably would have if they had been larger parcels but they were just flat, small envelopes.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

otterley posted:

I was flying from the UK to Latvia recently and after check in but just before security control this woman stopped me and asked if I could deliver some letters to her sister or something (post them when I got there I guess). The letters looked like they were unsealed but I quickly refused and walked away since it smelled like a money laundering thing or some other scam. Now I'm just curious whether this is a regular act at airports or was I just overly cautious?

Sometimes, airport employees are required to ask you if you've accepted any packages from a stranger or let a stranger pack your bags. I always thought both of these seemed like absurd situations, but holy crap, it actually happened.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

otterley posted:

You're right and I feel silly now for not thinking of that. I probably would have if they had been larger parcels but they were just flat, small envelopes.

They could have been filled with anything. think about the hell you would go through if they were letter laced with Ricin or something like that and addresses to world leaders.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've started using Chrome recently on my Windows 7 laptop, and have noticed that when I open some new tabs all at once (e.g. some forums threads), when I switch to any of them after I load, they often briefly show what was a recently viewed/closed tab before displaying the proper content. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? It's disconcerting.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
I'm looking for some sort of cheap/free ware that can be used to do a video demo. It must have the ability to pause recording so the presenter can change screens.

I had looked at Camtasia, Camstudio and Fraps. Is there something that the community recommends?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I hear plenty of stories of Asians who pay snakeheads thousands of dollars to smuggle them into Europe or America, riding in appalling conditions in the backs of trucks. If they have so much money, wouldn't it be simpler to just get a tourist visa, take a plane and then overstay? What is stopping them?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have a meeting with my boss on Tuesday and I'm pretty sure it's going to go badly. Maybe even end in termination. He sent me an email saying he needed to see me in his office first in the morning. Would it be bad to reply that if he was letting me go to just let me know over email so I wouldn't waste the gas driving in?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

the posted:

I have a meeting with my boss on Tuesday and I'm pretty sure it's going to go badly. Maybe even end in termination. He sent me an email saying he needed to see me in his office first in the morning. Would it be bad to reply that if he was letting me go to just let me know over email so I wouldn't waste the gas driving in?
If he's not planning on letting you go and is instead planning on just chewing you out, that might be enough to convince him otherwise.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

the posted:

Well if he wasnt going to fire you before then theres a chance he will after reading the email.

e: beaten.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Thanatosian posted:

If he's not planning on letting you go and is instead planning on just chewing you out, that might be enough to convince him otherwise.

When he sent the email I replied with "Sounds good, what's this regarding?"

He didn't respond and instead just sent a meeting request. That's what irks me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

the posted:

This might just be poor communications skills rather than imminent termination. Have you done something recently (or not so recently) that would make you think you're going to be fired?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Thanatosian posted:

This might just be poor communications skills rather than imminent termination. Have you done something recently (or not so recently) that would make you think you're going to be fired?

Yep, but that's for another thread.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Baron Bifford posted:

I hear plenty of stories of Asians who pay snakeheads thousands of dollars to smuggle them into Europe or America, riding in appalling conditions in the backs of trucks. If they have so much money, wouldn't it be simpler to just get a tourist visa, take a plane and then overstay? What is stopping them?

Nationals of most countries can't get tourist visa on arrival in either Europe or the US. This still happens, though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well, the possibilities are that you'll be terminated, disciplined, chewed out (unlikely since most people would just go chew you out without scheduling anything) or its about something else entirely.

If you send that email those possibilities shrink to terminated or alerting them that you did something that they could terminate you for.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Well, the possibilities are that you'll be terminated, disciplined, chewed out (unlikely since most people would just go chew you out without scheduling anything) or its about something else entirely.

If you send that email those possibilities shrink to terminated or alerting them that you did something that they could terminate you for.
Yeah, it's a joke on Office Space, but generally if you're going to fire someone, you do it on a Friday afternoon, for a variety of reasons (not just because it reduces the likelihood of them shooting up the office). Tuesday morning would be a strange time for a termination.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What percent of people who get dental braces don't follow through with after care (retainer etc.) and basically waste the money spent on them?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, it's a joke on Office Space, but generally if you're going to fire someone, you do it on a Friday afternoon, for a variety of reasons (not just because it reduces the likelihood of them shooting up the office). Tuesday morning would be a strange time for a termination.

I've heard that too but I can't think of seeing it ever happen on a Friday afternoon but have frequently seen it happen early in the week, first thing in the morning.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Well that makes me feel better.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Have you ever fired someone? You don't wait, you do it once its approved/warranted. No sense in waiting until Friday when you have to pay them until that date and are likely getting poo poo productivity.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

What does it mean when your poo poo is black? I don't mean dark brown, I mean a pitch black log of evil. Should I be worried?

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Kheldragar posted:

What does it mean when your poo poo is black? I don't mean dark brown, I mean a pitch black log of evil. Should I be worried?

It can be a sign of intestinal bleeding, though this NIH page also says certain foods like liquorice, iron pills, and even Pepto-Bismol can cause it. I would see your doctor soon.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

the posted:

Some bosses have bad written communication skills even though they mean no harm. My boss sometimes comes off as a jerk in emails, but he's seriously the nicest guy.

Also, maybe it's something somewhat confidential, and your boss can't or prefers not to give any details over email. This has happened to me several times, including one time when I wrote an email about some semi-sensitive stuff and he replied "come to my office," and I was like "oh gently caress," but when I got there he just continued the conversation like normal.

Not to get your hopes up - it could be trouble, but it's not guaranteed to be trouble.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Bovril Delight posted:

Have you ever fired someone? You don't wait, you do it once its approved/warranted. No sense in waiting until Friday when you have to pay them until that date and are likely getting poo poo productivity.

Well, where I'm at we 'suspend you pending investigation' and then bring you in and fire you when we win the game of HR phone tag and aren't busy doing other things.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bovril Delight posted:

This is definitely another philosophy.

Of course, going by this, you don't wait until next Tuesday, either.

Then again, maybe he just needed to schedule it with an HR person. So, to the guy asking, it's entirely possible you're being fired. Also, entirely possible you're not. You probably shouldn't try to aggravate things, though, and since you have no control over it at this point, you shouldn't worry about it in the meantime.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What is a snakehead?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

tarepanda posted:

What is a snakehead?

Either a fish or a Chinese people-smuggling gang

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there such a thing as a store that specializes in curtains? My wife and I are moving into a new place, and are looking for curtains, and besides her not really liking anything at the usual stores (Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Target, TJ Max, etc.), most everything we've seen so far only comes in 63" lengths whereas we'd rather only cover the windows, so we're looking for a couple 36" and a couple 48".

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

hooah posted:

Is there such a thing as a store that specializes in curtains? My wife and I are moving into a new place, and are looking for curtains, and besides her not really liking anything at the usual stores (Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Target, TJ Max, etc.), most everything we've seen so far only comes in 63" lengths whereas we'd rather only cover the windows, so we're looking for a couple 36" and a couple 48".

Of course. But I doubt you'll find many, if any, national chains that do just curtains. Best bet is local places. Ask and google around.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

baquerd posted:

What percent of people who get dental braces don't follow through with after care (retainer etc.) and basically waste the money spent on them?

I don't know what percent, but had braces when I was 12-14 and pitched my upper retainer after a few months (have a permanent one on the bottom) and my teeth are fine. My husband did the same, only he doesn't have a permanent on the bottom, and now going on 30 he's considering Invisalign. I had my wisdom teeth out BEFORE braces, he had his out after. I think your teeth don't naturally shift around much once they're all in and settled.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

baquerd posted:

It's anecdotal but by orthodontist said that 9 out of 10 adults he puts braces on have had orthodontia previously and didn't follow through their aftercare and are now getting braces or Invisaligns . The American Dental Association doesn't seem to have any hard data on it but I'd say the actual numbers sway in the favor of the braces ultimately being worth it for most patients, though.

I had braces when I was 12-14 and followed the aftercare and everything, but continued to suck my thumb like a mental deficient and so I have to start over at 30 years old :( Most everyone I know had braces at some point, and none of them have complaints about having wasted their time with them despite pretty much no one wearing a retainer. It's pretty hard to REALLY gently caress your teeth back up after having braces unless you're just horrible on your teeth (or suck your thumb. Sigh.)

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I'd bet the majority of people don't follow up with the orthodontics after-care past a couple months or maybe a year.

I had a plastic retainer that I was supposed to wear nightly after I got my braces off (approximately 15 years ago). I probably wore it nightly for 2 months, then maybe once a week for a year or so. I still have it and it doesn't fit in my mouth at all, but my teeth still look the same to me. What do they really expect you to do, wear it every night for literally the rest of your life? I highly doubt that anyone would do that.

I do have a permanent retainer on the bottom teeth (just a metal wire really). I was told that the lower incisors generally have shallow roots and they're much more likely to move over time.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I had REALLY BAD buck teeth and had to wear braces for close to two years to fix them. After I got them off I wore the retainer for I think around two years. I remember being at the orthodontist and asking "When can I stop wearing the retainer?" He said, "You always need to wear it."

I thought the same thing you just said, razz, "I'm not wearing this thing my whole life." I stopped wearing it and figured that I would eventually stop wearing it either way and I'll see what happens. My teeth are now pretty crooked. They aren't nearly as bad as they were before and the braces were totally worth it. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have kept wearing the retainer if I had known they would shift as much as they did.

I'm considering invasaline at some point.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Braceschat! I had mine in for three years and didn't even wear my retainer as soon as I was out of the orthodontist's office. It's 10 years later and my teeth are fine. It think this is very much a YMMV type of deal.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.
I had mine for four years (sucked my thumb up to 3rd grade and then quit cold turkey when my parents bribed me with a new bike, but the damage had already been done). I also had jaw surgery to break my jaw & correct my underbite during the time I had the braces on (they also had to pull my wisdom teeth just to make room for the jaw screws- they said it looked like they would not normally have come/have to be removed otherwise).

I didn't wear my retainer for even 1 week, oops. It's been about 10 years now and my two front bottom teeth have shifted a little bit but they still look fine and nothing else really moved around.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
So this (:nms: :nws: for slight blood, nothing bad) album of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev being arrested has been leaked or something. In two pictures, where Tsarnaev is leaving the boat and surrendering, there is a clear laser point on his forehead. I always thought laser beams were only a thing from movies, and aren't visible because that's just stupid. Or is this a case where the camera's CCD can pick up on the laser's wavelength, but the human eye can not?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
They are most definitely visible, but only when they reflect off of objects. What you are thinking of is when movies show the beams as visible in the air, which only happens when there is thick dust or smoke for it to catch.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Reichstag posted:

They are most definitely visible, but only when they reflect off of objects. What you are thinking of is when movies show the beams as visible in the air, which only happens when there is thick dust or smoke for it to catch.

My 50mw green laser pen has a way visible beam anywhere except out in the daytime sun and they're starting to make green weapon sight lasers that you can see the beam. (possibly just in the dark since they may be legally limited to 5mw.) I've only ever shot a pistol with a (red) laser sight once and I'd have to imagine that seeing the beam would make it lots easier than just seeing the faint red dot.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 19, 2013

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wagonburner posted:

My 50mw green laser pen has a way visible beam anywhere except out in the sun and they're starting to make green weapon sight lasers that you can see the beam. (possibly just in the dark since they may be legally limited to 5mw.) I've only ever shot a pistol with a (red) laser sight once and I'd have to imagine that seeing the beam would make it lots easier than just seeing the faint red dot.

There has to be something in the air for the beam to be visible. If you can see it "anywhere," it's because it's very bright and brilliant and is showing off of some dust or other air particulates. A red beam is showing off of the same stuff, it's just less brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Well, what I'm getting at is, there seems to be only a tactical disadvantage of having a laser dot pop up on your target, because all it would do is notify your target. After doing some quick Googling though, it does seem that law enforcement do use lasers as a form of intimidation.