Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Opera made its impression on me as a simply genius collection of really well thought out ideas and features that were from the loving future. This was cutting edge. Now those features are everywhere. Opera has been still ahead of the game on cranking out new ideas, good and bad, and modernizing features like extensions, but it really does need a rebuild. We can NOT give up on Opera right now holy poo poo guys they need us. I see the new Opera as a Windows Vista release: the lovely release after paradigm shift which makes way for a great future (windows 7). Now that Blink can be maintained outside of the dev's working hours by people who have the desire to, they can do the whole "keeping up" thing with ease, AND CAN FOCUS ON PORTING THEIR ENTIRE FEATURESET OVER. THIS IS ALL THEY'RE DOING RIGHT NOW! I bet they had a meeting or twenty because of this or similar threads on their own forums.

Keep using opera, keep searching with google from the address bar.
Give them money and employee hours do do this poo poo holy hell. Be the old guy on Windows 95 until Opera 16.5 at least.

As to the features discussion:

Ape Agitator posted:

Describing Opera features like Fit to Width as confusing is not the kind of wording to inspire confidence. Squirrel stuff away in advanced features if it scares people away, don't abandon it or ask us to rely on unprofessional extensions.

Opera! This is who you make your browser for. There are features in Opera I would NEVER use, but SOMEONE uses them or they wouldn't be features. That guy is my buddy, because I use features no one else does, and together we make up the remaining users of your browser. Keep doing what you're doing for Opera 16.

A lot of applications have the expert switch here:

It's immediately obvious to every user what this switch does. Badass. Hell it could just be an opera:config tab.

The "Expert Mode" is everywhere! Google used to call it, "Under the Hood", now it's just a drat inline expand. Either way I get my nice, juicy list of checkboxes and radio buttons

down1nit fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
God they need banner ads on sites like Yahoo or MSN. A new influx of users would be a good thing right now, the core browser is a neat new playground for a new convert. All those extra Google searches would help get monies.

Not a fan of the current stash feature: the web can be visual, sure, imgur is HUGE. But you should see all my Food Network stashes to different cookies. Most look like a picture of a BMW because that was the ad on top. Some look like cats and dogs, because I stashed some SA threads.

I'm sure this has been discussed a bunch as it's pretty obvious: what if i coud take a snapshot of the screen first, do that dimming effect like when I save something and let me draw a box around the around my raisin oatmeal cookie picture and some text, then scale that picture with the title, user text, maybe a intelligent summarize on hover. Present it in a Google image search view or similar and bammo. Allow me to sync this in Opera Link and to save this as a single file, including/excluding folders so i can send my collection of cookie recipes to my friend or backup everything on an external. Sounds like something opera would implement expertly.

And let me view in a list mode like old times because god i don't have all day.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 19, 2013

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
First 16 preview build is out: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2013/07/19/opera-next-16
Looks like we get wand and the start of opera:config back (as opera:flags), and further confirmation of bookmarks, tab pinning within some weeks. Personally I hope that includes letting you put the tab bar on the sides. :)

quote:

Yesterday we pushed a candidate for Opera Next 16. I’m not surprised that many of you have figured it out already yesterday

Features that we’ve added for this build are
support for W3C Geolocation API,
form auto-filler,
support for jump-lists on Windows 7/8,
presentation mode is now available also on Mac,
opera:flags – you can play with experimental features there. Please remember that this game might be dangerous (and bite),
Opera 16 is based on Chromium 29.

From your previous feedback, there's a new setting in Browser > Start Page called "Preload Discover contents". If this is unchecked, no Discover content will be preloaded. Opera 16 won't preload Discover content in off-road mode. You can read the full changelog.

Please feel free to test and leave us comments – if you are not on the Next stream yet, go ahead and download it from attached links.

Opera and Opera Next run as separate installs so you can still use Opera 15 while running Opera Next 16 side by side to try out the new things. Opera Next 16 will also automatically update itself so you'll always have the latest build.

Usually, the first few comments are about the roadmap, so here are the features we’re currently working on: bookmarks, synchronization (Opera Link), enhancements in tabs handling (ie pinning and visual tabs) and themes. Our new rapid release cycle means that you should see the first cut of some of these in a few weeks’ time.

Downloads:
Mac
Windows

Known issues:
DNA-8133 - On Windows XP opera_autoupdate.exe throws an error with credui.dll library.
DNA-8270 - Most of HTTP sites don't load with off-road mode enabled.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The flags page has a tab order setting, which ought to make some people very happy.

Also smooth scrolling.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

down1nit posted:

Keep using opera, keep searching with google from the address bar.
Give them money and employee hours do do this poo poo holy hell. Be the old guy on Windows 95 until Opera 16.5 at least.

No, I get that we need patience. I was just getting anxious because their wording was more than a little negative about the things that made Opera Opera (the broad featureset) to me. It's the kind of wording that says "it's not coming back but here's a reason you should internalize to feel better about it not coming back".

If they were more clear about wanting to make Opera 15+ closer to Opera 11/12 as a foundation to build off of, I'd be endlessly patient for them to do it. I'm not terrified of change and make it a point to use a new feature how it's labeled to be used to give it a more than fair chance to work its way into my life. And having watched more than a few Kitchen Nightmares, I know that being unwilling to change for fear of losing a tiny loyal customer base is a bad business decision. So if they think they can do it better than Opera 11/12, I'm there to try it. I'm not opposed to removing Bookmarks for Speed Dials. They're both used for storing websites for later so why not, fair idea. But you need to couple that with much better Speed dials. Right click a speed dial and choose Edit and it's immediately clear why it's not ready to replace Bookmarks. But if Speed Dials became badass (option to choose your image for it, notes and tags for searching, nested folders for the hoarders among us), I'm all for it. Positive change can be achieved as long as what you replace it with can do the job functionally well. There is no reason, at all, that the same fields you get in Bookmarks properties can't be in the Speed Dial edit menu. It's all just ini file fields (or whatever it is in Chrome, I've no idea).

About Stash,
I recognize it can be a fundamentally useful thing. I'm probably an edge case (I know I'm an edge case) but I've got dozens to a hundred tabs open. And they burst huge and then I whittle them down. And they're categorizable based on what I do and I flit between functions frequently (work to play back to work). And my computer hates me for it and gets sluggish to the point that Opera alone is crippling the response of the machine as it consumes 2GB of memory.

If Stash were somehow a disk saved state of one of my modes and just by clicking on the Stash icon and one of my sketchpad modes it would save that state and close those tabs and load those other tabs without having to redownload anything, Opera would run smoother and I'd have less clutter. And I could flick between them without worrying about losing forum posts I'm halfway between writing and youtube videos that have already precached so I can freely seek through them. That would be an amazing Stash. You can't really do it with Windows because it still takes up resources when you're not using it. You can't do it with sessions because you lose things in mid-compose or stuff cached.

What I think I want from Stash is for it to be more versatile, just like the Speed Dial should be. Right now Stash seems to be directly comparable to those "keep website" extensions that I haven't found a way to work into my life because I basically open them next to all the other stuff I have open so I don't really save a lot. Especially since I just tab stack stuff and collapse it to "hide it". I know this sucks up resources but there's no real functional alternative.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

down1nit posted:

Opera! This is who you make your browser for. There are features in Opera I would NEVER use, but SOMEONE uses them or they wouldn't be features. That guy is my buddy, because I use features no one else does, and together we make up the remaining users of your browser. Keep doing what you're doing for Opera 16.

I'm not sure I agree with this, although I'd like to. Sure, when you look at the US, UK, and most of Western Europe, Opera's market is what you describe, but their market share in those countries is tiny, <1% (see statcounter). On the other hand, there's a higher share in much of Eastern Europe/Central Asia - 12% in Russia, 13% in Kazakhstan, 18% in Ukraine, 27% in Belarus, so on. With an audience that big, I'd bet that most users in the latter countries just browse the web and ignore most of the features.

Seeing the release notes for Opera 16 makes me more hopeful, though. Now, instead of wondering how to make Firefox a reasonable replacement for Opera, I'm wondering if the features I like will be brought over.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Ape Agitator posted:

No, I get that we need patience. I was just getting anxious because their wording was more than a little negative about the things that made Opera Opera (the broad featureset) to me. It's the kind of wording that says "it's not coming back but here's a reason you should internalize to feel better about it not coming back".
Yeah, I have no problem with waiting 6 months for Opera 20, but their recent announcements have made it sounds like they have no plans to ever reimplement some of the features I care about, and if that's the case then I might as well give up on Opera and get to work on writing Firefox extensions for the things it's missing.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Plorkyeran posted:

Yeah, I have no problem with waiting 6 months for Opera 20, but their recent announcements have made it sounds like they have no plans to ever reimplement some of the features I care about, and if that's the case then I might as well give up on Opera and get to work on writing Firefox extensions for the things it's missing.

I really do wish someone from Opera would just clarify this completely. If Opera never re-implements a lot of its old functionality then I'll stay with 12 for quite a while before surveying options, but if they're going to slowly start re-implementing old functionality and going back to the old "Hey we came up with some completely bonkers new idea that everyone will copy in 5 years!" stuff that I love, then I'll be happy to just wait for 16+ to catch up.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
The new Opera user agent string is apparently
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1500.52 Safari/537.36 OPR/15.0.1147.100

So "OPR"-safari-chrome-gecko-khtml-webkit-mozilla.

Just throw trident and presto in there too, for maximum compatibility.

I'm actually a bit curious about what web pages/servers actually still block "Opera" or "Opera (a specific version number)"

e: Also if over 10% of Opera users ever visit such sites, considering that they eliminated bookmarks using that justification.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 26, 2013

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Introducing NEX - standards-oriented browser add-ons

This sort of thing has been needed for a long time and it would be fantastic if this takes off.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Opera 17 Developer is up, quite a bit of stuff and new information. I'll just summarize, check the link for more information. New: Start-up mode (incl. sessions), pinned tabs, rocker gestures (where you click one mouse button and then another), extension APIs ("bookmarks, commands, omnibox, webNavigation"), search engine manager finally (can't remove non-custom engines though). Not ready for development build (turned off in opera:flags): themes, camera/mic, HiDPI (aka Retina) support. No Linux version but that's not surprising.

Upcoming, they're going to be working on: "vertical tabs, visual tabs, tab cycler, move tabs between windows, quick access bar (aka bookmarks bar), synchronization.. We've planned further bookmarks enhancements, further synchronization development, site preferences, and more." Full changelog.

I also noticed in the comments a recommendation for a couple extensions to "clean up" how the speed dial looks.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
YESSSSS! It's happening!

Rocker gestures are a godsend. God sent rocker gestures back to Oslo.

This is looking good, stable, still fast as gently caress, with the future versions looking promising. I wish Notes would come back with Sync, it's implementation is great and I love having all my random notes synced with all my devices.

Edit: Who else has 4 versions of the Opera icon in their taskbar?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Have there been rumblings about modifying shortcuts and mouse gestures? It's a hard barrier to actually using the new browser because I've got so many things down to muscle memory.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think that just about confirms every major thing I care about is coming back reasonably soon. Good news!

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

They also just dropped a new version of the mobile browser, updating both the normal and beta channels to what appears to be the same code. I suspect that means new betas soon.

Is there a way to share configuration stuff between the Next and Dev channels on the desktop? I have Next set up like I want it, but I'd like to try some of the new stuff in Dev without having to do everything by hand.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
This thing still supports USB standalone installation right? If so i'm giving this a shot. :)

Edit: It does. Feels pretty much exactly like what it is - a slightly improved Chrome reskin, so at least it'll fill that fallback slot. Unsurprisingly it's still lacking a lot of features (most notably tab features and UI flexibility) before it might become my main browser, but at least it's a significant step up.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 9, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Does the new Opera mobile still have the godawful URL autocomplete 'feature'?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Those lamenting the loss of bookmarks and tab rearranging may want to check out the newest Opera 17 Developer build. This newest release now has enabled the Quick Access Bar and "'drag and drop' of tabs". I haven't tried it yet, but regardless it still seems like a step in the right direction. Full changelog; also things seem somewhat buggy so check the comments if you have a problem (right-clicking to remove bookmarks from the Quick Access Bar doesn't work on Windows yet, for instance).

I consider this somewhat bad news: Opera has also disallowed extensions to modify Opera's internal pages ("DNA-9253 Remove Extensions on opera:// URLs support"), which means all those extensions which clean up the speed dial/start page are now useless. "It's a security fix to prevent malicious extensions from hijacking internal pages, or diverting searches elsewhere without telling the user.... We'll provide native functionality to customise Speed Dial." A fair enough reason (though I'd argue it says more about Opera's extension curation), but the immediate result is still somewhat of a shame.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just got a really weird error message in Opera Next after a crash that lost not just all my tabs, but my tab history and session.

Serves me right for playing around with the new Opera version, I guess.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Doom Goon posted:

I consider this somewhat bad news: Opera has also disallowed extensions to modify Opera's internal pages ("DNA-9253 Remove Extensions on opera:// URLs support")

How is the user javascript support? I have written a bunch of small scripts that usually do some minor thing, like allow saving images on Flickr, but I have some that interface with the page's own javascript. Interfacing with existing javascript doesn't work (directly at least) in user scripts on Chrome. I assume this is also the case with Opera 15+ (If it has support for user javascript in the first place)

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Who in their right loving mind decided that "View Page Source" should reload the entire page in a new tab? Accidentally found myself doing API stuff in Next rather than 12 this morning and went to view the source to validate some XML and found this little gem out.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I didn't notice it refreshing on dynamic pages (on Development), although that there is a refresh button seems kind of odd.

Wheany posted:

How is the user javascript support? I have written a bunch of small scripts that usually do some minor thing, like allow saving images on Flickr, but I have some that interface with the page's own javascript. Interfacing with existing javascript doesn't work (directly at least) in user scripts on Chrome. I assume this is also the case with Opera 15+ (If it has support for user javascript in the first place)
No built-in userjs in Opera 15+ yet, word is it is coming but I couldn't find a source. The best they have right now is documentation on converting userjs to extensions (kinda); since I haven't heard anything about installing (for example) Tampermonkey I'm assuming userjs managers don't work. I've actually barely touched 15+ (or Chrome and userjs besides a little) so I'm not the best person to ask about its limitations.

ufarn posted:

Just got a really weird error message in Opera Next after a crash that lost not just all my tabs, but my tab history and session.

Serves me right for playing around with the new Opera version, I guess.
Yeah, you should definitely be careful, especially now where everything is brand new and who knows what else. If you want to keep things clean and simple I recommend installing a "testing" installation in portable mode (easy to backup, too). Speaking of crashes, I don't know what your problem specifically was but they just released a small update to Opera 16 Next (changelog mentions fixes crashing involving adding pages with odd protocols to Speed Dial, calling java script:alert method, and closing private windows when downloading).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I still don't get 15. The whole point of Opera to me was that it was an all-in-one deal. No extensions needed and a feature rich default setup. If you have too much time on your hands, you could get in the configs and edit everything to your liking and very few extensions were desired (most could be replicated using UserJS anyway). It is why I switched to Opera in Opera 7 and stuck with it for so long.

Webkit is a good long-term decision, Opera has always had excellent rendering engines but such a low market-share that hardly anyone tested it for compatibility. Then web pages became much more complex in the last few years with tons of new Javascript functionality that Opera really fell behind on compatibility. But there is hardly any point to using 15.

But I don't see the point in using it until it becomes that feature-rich all-in-one browser again, which they don't seem to want to make it into again. Sad thing is, I think Chrome is the best browser right now. Mainly the way it keeps each tab in separate processes so if one crashes, it doesn't bring the whole thing down with it. That is the reason I don't use Firefox. Downside to that is how memory-hungry Chrome is, but that is not much of concern in the days of cheap 16GB RAM.

Sadly I don't think Opera in general has good long-term prospects. It used to be the mobile browser for early Smartphones. Not so much anymore.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Used to be a big opera user, think I'm going to switch away finally.

If you type in anything in the address bar, and try to click on an address that pops up, it doesn't work. What the hell?

Is Firefox the next best choice? I've been using IE recently and I actually like it for some reason.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Zarfol posted:

Is Firefox the next best choice? I've been using IE recently and I actually like it for some reason.

There isn't a "next best", all browsers suck in their own ways, just find one that sucks in a way you can tolerate. If that happens to be IE, go for it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Does Opera 15 still have the old style animated gif playback that Opera 12 had?

That is, they don't play until they are in view, so whenever you're thread with an animated gif in it, you don't miss out on the beginning of it and have to wait for it to start all over again

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I don't think they do. I just tested with Opera Next 16, and nope.

That was kind of a neat feature, but on occasion it was a bit annoying, because by scrolling up a bit up or down obscuring the gif, the animation would reset and start over.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Does the new Opera also come with Pepper Flash or whatever Google calls it? Since it's Chrome based? Truth be told that's the only reason I use Chrome from time to time, since hi-def videos seem to look a bit smoother.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Never heard about it.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

No, Opera doesn't come with Flash.

On the other hand, when I use the "pepper" Flash built into Chrome it skips when playing music or videos if I switch to a different tab, so I usually disable it and use the "regular" Flash plugin when I use Chrome.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Heresiarch posted:

No, Opera doesn't come with Flash.

On the other hand, when I use the "pepper" Flash built into Chrome it skips when playing music or videos if I switch to a different tab, so I usually disable it and use the "regular" Flash plugin when I use Chrome.

Never had those problems, then again I only use it on rare occasions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Do any of you other Opera people out there use Feedly? It's not been letting me fully log into the service lately, I'll sign in and then get to a Google "The following app is requesting these permissions:" page, yet the Accept button stays faded out instead of letting me interact with it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Opera 16 out! One step closer to Opera Ω.

C-Euro posted:

Do any of you other Opera people out there use Feedly? It's not been letting me fully log into the service lately, I'll sign in and then get to a Google "The following app is requesting these permissions:" page, yet the Accept button stays faded out instead of letting me interact with it.
I don't use it (still using Opera 12, although I finally set up a portable 17 Dev to use Spotify web and junk), but a quick Google led me to this (check the comments).

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Does anyone have any ideas why over the past few weeks Opera has been refusing to load images on some pages but not others?

For instance, I don't get to see any imgur images here on the forums yet if I manually view the source and browse to the image it displays fine. There's nothing listed in content blocker that could be blocking them and they load in IE/Firefox just fine.

Why it's suddenly stopped over the past few weeks I've no idea as I haven't upgraded to a newer version or anything.

Edit:
I seem to have found a solution, although why it's working I have no idea..

If I right-click on a page and view the blocked content, there's nothing.

If I right-click on a page, edit site preferences and disable content blocking, they load fine.

I'm confused....!

mr_jolly fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 28, 2013

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

mr_jolly posted:

Does anyone have any ideas why over the past few weeks Opera has been refusing to load images on some pages but not others?

For instance, I don't get to see any imgur images here on the forums yet if I manually view the source and browse to the image it displays fine. There's nothing listed in content blocker that could be blocking them and they load in IE/Firefox just fine.

Why it's suddenly stopped over the past few weeks I've no idea as I haven't upgraded to a newer version or anything.

Edit:
I seem to have found a solution, although why it's working I have no idea..

If I right-click on a page and view the blocked content, there's nothing.

If I right-click on a page, edit site preferences and disable content blocking, they load fine.

I'm confused....!

If you look back in the thread a few months this is just some weird bug that pops up occasionally.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
So what version will include local bookmarks? Or is that already there and I somehow missed it? (I just want to import my present profile)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

So what version will include local bookmarks? Or is that already there and I somehow missed it? (I just want to import my present profile)

V17, which is currently the dev channel and which will be heading into Next soon.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Heresiarch posted:

V17, which is currently the dev channel and which will be heading into Next soon.

Ah ok, thanks!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Does there seem to be any priority for customizing keyboard and mouse gesture shortcuts? It's really a barrier to spending any extended time with the new Opera because of years of muscle memory. I just get instantly frustrated trying to use the default gesture shortcuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
^^ I can't find any setting for customising those shortcuts.

They have just released an Opera 17 Next build. The new addition related to (the missing) bookmarks is the Quick Access Bar (QAB). Contrary to earlier statements from the team, they have now decided that QAB won't be enabled by default for Opera 17 stable, since it needs more tweaking. Right now, in Opera 17 Next, in order to view and use the QAB you need to enable the option from opera://flags and then also check the corresponding checkbox in Opera -> Settings.

Opera 17 Next also features pinned tabs, some additional settings (Search engines, Startup settings), enhanced extensions API and on Windows it is now DPI aware.

Still no support for Linux (it is planned, but not for 17 it seems).