Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

From Uyama:

"So I tried talking to Twitch about forwarding the subscriptions to Doctors Without Borders, but that can't be done because both ad revenue and subscriptions are tied to the same account. What I decided to do is count the subs at the end of the marathon and donate our part of the subscriptions to Doctors Without Borders."

He also said that half of the sub money is going to twitch, so it's probably not the best way to make a donation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, subscriptions have always been 50% to twitch and 50% to the actual account owner.

I mean, good on twitch for being the platform that makes all of this even possible, but for donations it's a terrible way.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Uyama is counting up the subscriptions at the end of the marathon, and donating however much money was put into subscriptions.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
To me, it seems like making the sub-only is the worst possible idea, given how the money goes mostly to Twitch, and there's an incentive for people to sub (talk in the chatbox of idiots).

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Dr. Stab posted:

From Uyama:

"So I tried talking to Twitch about forwarding the subscriptions to Doctors Without Borders, but that can't be done because both ad revenue and subscriptions are tied to the same account. What I decided to do is count the subs at the end of the marathon and donate our part of the subscriptions to Doctors Without Borders."

He also said that half of the sub money is going to twitch, so it's probably not the best way to make a donation.

Did EVO not have ads, then, save for the stuff the commentators read? Because all of their sub money (they claimed) went to a scholarship fund.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
So it looks like a new glitch just got found in Yoshi's Island. This guy is playing around with it right now. Somehow you can bring sprites with you into a level. He's mentioned that it can let you do some sort of warps, but right now it's mainly just madness going on as he tries random sprites.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So this guy can now instantly beat any level in the game he wants at will? Crazy poo poo. All he needs to do now is actually see if it's possible without hacking.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Arne's one of the YI TASers IIRC. This is amazing.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Suspicious Dish posted:

To me, it seems like making the sub-only is the worst possible idea, given how the money goes mostly to Twitch, and there's an incentive for people to sub (talk in the chatbox of idiots).

The alternative is disabling chat altogether which is a terrible idea that only generates animosity towards the event. Whatever money you'd 'save' from not giving any Twitch you'd lose way more overall by refusing to take advantage of the dumb memes that make up like half the reason people watch these events.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I assume it's not possible to have a system where all donors are given Twitch chat privileges?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Suspicious Dish posted:

I assume it's not possible to have a system where all donors are given Twitch chat privileges?

No, because Twitch doesn't want you circumventing them getting their beak wet on their own premium model.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
A blindfolded Catherine run just started on ESA. It's pretty good so far. The first level's strategy was to push down nearly the entire stage so the exit would fall down to him. :eyepop:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Scribblenauts TAS in 1:01.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESwkulsgnBY

I've only watched a few minutes so far, but if you liked the Brain Age or Family Feud TAS you will enjoy this.

Edit: This is one of the most entertaining TASes I've seen.

Dr. Dos fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 20, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There is no reason this video should be this entertaining. This is incredible.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Flicky is so great. :allears:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Yeah that conversation/set of monologues during Bayonetta was something else.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Kotti is running Dark Souls after Arkham City is done, and they hit the donation goal for him to do it in online mode. :stare:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

iastudent posted:

Kotti is running Dark Souls after Arkham City is done, and they hit the donation goal for him to do it in online mode. :stare:
Do any of the routes even spend any time in human form? So it's really just the signs (that he obviously doesn't spend time to read)?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I thought the donation would be for him to stay human as much as possible.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm not sure where else to ask this, but are there any ways to improve my twitch.tv perfomance other than lowering the resolution, which doesn't even seem to do much? Performance has been quite bad recently. Wanna watch some speed runs, just get some speed frames.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Oh my god this Dark Souls run.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Forever thankful that they're having fun despite everything :unsmith:

At least that fight started with luck, Smough got stuck behind a pillar far away.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Portal 2 co-op run about to start up, might be slightly more coherent than the Dark Souls run but hopefully as entertaining.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Don't think I saw anyone mention it but Joshimuz actually improved his PB and thus set a new WR during the marathon for GTA:SA with 6:12 which is an 11 minute improvement if I remember him stating the record properly. It's a long run but he's exceptionally good at it and has a lot of things go his way including about as many positives cases of marathon luck as you usually see in an entire AGDQ. I think he said "that's never happened before" about 6-8 times and it was never a bad thing.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Is "That's never happened before" the official motto of the whole speedrunning community yet? Does it need rendering into Latin first?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
What's this then? Primum quidem illud quod numquam factum est? That thing which happened first, in fact never occured?

Er..it says "That's never happened before"

No, it doesn't etc...

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

If you arent watching this GTA3 Race on ESA2013 between Adam_AK and Oasiz, you're missing out on live reciting of HEAAAAAAD RADIOOOOO-O-O-o

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

TheTofuShop posted:

If you arent watching this GTA3 Race on ESA2013 between Adam_AK and Oasiz, you're missing out on live reciting of HEAAAAAAD RADIOOOOO-O-O-o

They're nearly synced right now.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Seriously, so much good poo poo this marathon, cracking up over here

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

After Adam failed to fly the plane, the gap has narrowed to 5 seconds.

Also Adam and Oasis are spamming l4d dialogue - with their mouths...

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 21, 2013

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Wow cool race, surprisingly close

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Too bad this Vice City run is being ruined by everyone in the room other than Adam. Mute it is.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
So many people in the chat are whining about the guys singing, I love it. :allears:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The chat is just making GBS threads itself over them repeating poo poo and the singing. I love it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

redz posted:

Too bad this Vice City run is being ruined by everyone in the room other than Adam. Mute it is.
How does it feel to be wrong? :allears:

Can't see the Vice City run at SGDQ matching up to that masterpiece.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

With the wording in the SGDQ threads it sounds like they're going to try for serious-mode all the time. (Professional silent conduct and discipline, presentation and production value, yeah)

Could be because they're have no idea how to set up mics in a way that won't pick up all sounds made up to 15ft outside of the streaming room.

e: One weird thing I can't figure out for this ESA2013 audio is how it dips hard for seconds after loudness, like everybody cheering or getting surprised, unless the compressor circuits are the ones behind that, but dip for the entire mix.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 21, 2013

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Part of that too probably has to deal with the scale and publicity of *gdq now. Their massive donations of over 400k got them a lot of press, even outside the gaming industry. They are probably trying to maintain a level of professionalism and integrity, whether that is the right or wrong choice is up for debate.
These are charity events though, and in the ends what matters the most is how many donations they receive. It is possible that they can get a wider audience by keeping things a bit more sane.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

There's always understream and bonus stream for the shenanigans we know and love.

And of course PJ/mecha coop

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I highly doubt they're gonna go super serious, people still like to joke around. I don't see the harm in it either way, its just a bunch of dudes in a room having fun.

The chat was funny so I guess its official, twitch chat kryptonite is to have fun and show it, the chat cannot tolerate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

MrLonghair posted:

e: One weird thing I can't figure out for this ESA2013 audio is how it dips hard for seconds after loudness, like everybody cheering or getting surprised
I actually love this and was hoping it was something intentional they figured out to prevent blowing out my eardrums when everybody suddenly shouts after being so quiet I have to crank my volume to hear them speak.

• Locked thread