Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

thecolorpurple posted:

What would be the most cost-efficient way to get a one-way trip from Toulouse to Barcelona? Searching discount airlines, I haven't found anything that flies from Toulouse, save one that didn't fly to Barcelona.
It'll probably be cheaper and probably faster to just take a TGV, unless you're leaving in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

HookShot posted:

It'll probably be cheaper and probably faster to just take a TGV, unless you're leaving in a few days.

Yeah, you shouldn't underestimate trains as being good transport options. Much less of a hassle than taking a plane in most cases.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

thecolorpurple posted:

What would be the most cost-efficient way to get a one-way trip from Toulouse to Barcelona? Searching discount airlines, I haven't found anything that flies from Toulouse, save one that didn't fly to Barcelona.

Aah Toulouse, my favorite city... Not many discount flights from TLS though, mostly from Paris or Marseille. I remember taking a direct flight from Toulouse to Madrid about 8 years ago because there were none to Barcelona. Doing a quick search though, I've found a few <$300 tickets (round-trip, one-way were more expensive). So the train might be the best idea.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Most cost-effective would be euro lines bus though. It sucks, but it's cheap

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Rojkir posted:

Most cost-effective would be euro lines bus though. It sucks, but it's cheap

For a trip that short, Eurolines is not too bad. You can also take the train from Barcelona to Toulouse via Narbonne.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Toulouse is awesome! But it's not really got good connections to Barcelona. You want to go from Toulouse to Narbonne, then, depending on the time of the day, you can either get a straight train to Barcelona, or you might have to change again at Figueres Vilafant. The trip will be 4-5 hours and through beautiful scenery, so I would definitely recommend it.

Use bahn.de to plan any of your journeys no matter where you're going in Europe.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I have another "I've never had 2 passports before and I'm not sure what I'm doing" question. Not sure this is the right thread for it, but I don't think it's worth it's own thread. (Feel free to point me in the direction of somewhere more appropriate.)

I assume it is sensible to leave and re-enter Australia (where I live) on my Australian passport, and to enter and leave Europe on my UK passport. So at which point do I make the switch ? Can I check-in here with one passport, then go through customs at the other end with my other passport ? I have to give my passport number during online check-in; which passport number do I use for this ?

E: I think I've found the answer elsewhere.
Apparently, I'm supposed to check-in using my UK passport; go through passport control on my Australian passport; present my UK passport when I arrive in Europe; then do the same thing in reverse on the way home.
Or is that completely wrong ?

Also, passport-unrelated question:
In an episode of QI I saw recently (I2, perhaps ?), Stephen Fry mentioned a restaurant in Berlin where all the waitstaff are blind, and you eat in complete darkness. Anyone know the name of this restaurant ?
E: Found it; it's the Unsicht-Bar.

Lady Disdain fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 17, 2013

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Istari posted:

I assume it is sensible to leave and re-enter Australia (where I live) on my Australian passport, and to enter and leave Europe on my UK passport. So at which point do I make the switch ? Can I check-in here with one passport, then go through customs at the other end with my other passport ? I have to give my passport number during online check-in; which passport number do I use for this ?

E: I think I've found the answer elsewhere.
Apparently, I'm supposed to check-in using my UK passport; go through passport control on my Australian passport; present my UK passport when I arrive in Europe; then do the same thing in reverse on the way home.
Or is that completely wrong ?

This is correct. Alternately you can just show both passports each time and they will select the "correct" one.

I think you said that you won't have your UK passport until you actually get inside the UK and apply for it? This is a little more complex and could potentially lead to problems, e.g. if you enter on your Australian passport and exit on your UK passport (thus your Australian-self is overstaying his visa) and in such a case you'd probably want to exit on your Aussie passport and not your UK one, or just sit down and explain the situation to immigration and maybe have someone yell at you. IANAL but I knew a couple dual US citizens who lost their US passports in the US and exited with a different passport than they came in, and neither of them got banned from the States. (I've never seen the other way around though, where they came in with fewer passports than they exited with.)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Saladman posted:

I think you said that you won't have your UK passport until you actually get inside the UK and apply for it?

No, not exactly. I'm applying for my UK passport here, in Australia, and I should get it before I leave. But if I don't for some reason, I intend to go to Europe on my Australian passport, and have someone here post me my UK passport when it's delivered.
Then I'd have to leave the Schengen area (probably to the UK) on my Australian passport, then re-enter on my UK passport.

This is a very remote possibility, though, and falls into the 'worst case scenario' category.

Saladman posted:

where they came in with fewer passports than they exited with.

On that note, do I have to 'declare' that I've got 2 passports with me ?
I read on someone's travel blog (I'm trying to find it, but coming up empty) that one should avoid letting on that they have dual nationality (although, I think they were probably thinking of a slightly more dubious combination than British/Australian).

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Istari posted:

On that note, do I have to 'declare' that I've got 2 passports with me ?
I read on someone's travel blog (I'm trying to find it, but coming up empty) that one should avoid letting on that they have dual nationality (although, I think they were probably thinking of a slightly more dubious combination than British/Australian).

Yeah, I think they probably mean it can quickly become a hassle to declare dual citizenship when it's for particular countries. My partner has a South African and an Australian passport and he always travels on the Australian one. He says before he got an Australian passport going through Europe on the South African one was a nuisance, with customs hold ups and visa issues just about everywhere. We've travelled through a fair bit of Europe together and I've never seen him asked about the fact he has dual citizenship once, so if I were you I just wouldn't bother even mentioning it unless you got asked specifically about it.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

bee posted:

if I were you I just wouldn't bother even mentioning it unless you got asked specifically about it.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I've crossed borders probably dozens of times in my day and I've literally never let on that I have more than one passport. Usually when I just go to the States I flat out leave my French passport at home.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Kolta posted:

Thanks. I got some insane Mosquito bites on my hand since Italy and they don't seem to want to go away.

I'm experiencing this right now, wtf italian mosquitos? I'm still here though so I'll deal.

We're going to be spending a few days in Milan, what should I see besides the Last Supper? Anyone have anything they really loved? I love food and wine of course, not much for shopping, but I'll probably hit up a bike shop to get a cycling cap as a souvenir.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Russian Bear posted:

I'm experiencing this right now, wtf italian mosquitos? I'm still here though so I'll deal.

We're going to be spending a few days in Milan, what should I see besides the Last Supper? Anyone have anything they really loved? I love food and wine of course, not much for shopping, but I'll probably hit up a bike shop to get a cycling cap as a souvenir.

Get up on the Duomo, there's a cool view from up there. Then go visit the Sforza Castle.

And if you like science you're going to fuckin' LOVE the Science and Technology museum.

smilehigh
Nov 2, 2010

RUUUUUNNNNNNNN

SKEET SKEET posted:

Going to be in Cambridge for school from July 14 - August 5. Anything I should be sure to do while I am there?
A bit late but:

I live in Cambridge, and I love it. It's a really cute town.

I assume you are going to be at one of the colleges? Try to see inside Kings, Corpus and Trinity if you can. They are super nice.
And go punting on the river, it should be particularly nice with this amazing weather we've been having!

Fitzbillies is a nice cafe near the Fitzwilliam Museum (which is pretty cool) that has amazing food.

If you climb the bell tower of St Mary's you can get a really nice view of Cambridge, it's like 3 or 4 pounds.

If you are into nightlife, Lola Lo's is pretty decent, or Revolution.

Or hire a bike and take the path down the river towards Fen Ditton, it's really beautiful and there are some great riverside pubs.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Been reading through the first dozen pages of this wonderful thread, and will surely find answers to the questions I'm about to ask as I read on. But anyway.

Am making a trip to west Africa for work, and am breaking my connecting flight home at Heathrow and staying in central London (room rental through AirBnb) for 6 days alone (girlfriend was supposed to fly out and meet, but got a job offer instead).

So I'm looking for recommendations for one person who has never been to London before. I'd like to keep it cheap, but since I'm only in for around ~$650 in flight and room, it doesn't have to be free. I'd like to spend at least one day outside the city, and would love tips on the best day-long trips (would rather not stay out there since I've already paid for a room). And is 5 in london/1 outside of london a good split? or 4/2? or 6/0?

Hoping to see some of the basic sights, as well as the essential art museums (from what I can tell, Tate Modern and the British Museum, and maybe a quick duck into the National Gallery).

So please, have at it.

PS- I've been told I'll feel out of place if not dressed well. Confirm/deny? I live in downtown Chicago and am not a slob.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Wear whatever you want, skip Tate Modern unless you're a real modern art afficionado imo. My advice for day trip is BRIGHTON! I love it down there. Sea, ice cream, chips, pints, lovely little lanes, hippies.. it's a great area.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
I'm in Brighton with some friends for the weekend early October, do you have some specific advice for cool places/pubs/restaurants?

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

ThetaOmnikron posted:

Been reading through the first dozen pages of this wonderful thread, and will surely find answers to the questions I'm about to ask as I read on. But anyway.

Am making a trip to west Africa for work, and am breaking my connecting flight home at Heathrow and staying in central London (room rental through AirBnb) for 6 days alone (girlfriend was supposed to fly out and meet, but got a job offer instead).

So I'm looking for recommendations for one person who has never been to London before. I'd like to keep it cheap, but since I'm only in for around ~$650 in flight and room, it doesn't have to be free. I'd like to spend at least one day outside the city, and would love tips on the best day-long trips (would rather not stay out there since I've already paid for a room). And is 5 in london/1 outside of london a good split? or 4/2? or 6/0?

Hoping to see some of the basic sights, as well as the essential art museums (from what I can tell, Tate Modern and the British Museum, and maybe a quick duck into the National Gallery).

So please, have at it.

PS- I've been told I'll feel out of place if not dressed well. Confirm/deny? I live in downtown Chicago and am not a slob.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whats-on/2013/July-19

The Proms has just started and you can get tickets on the day for 5 quid. Have a look at the schedule and see if anything takes your fancy on the days you are in London. If you have even a passing interest in classical music then the Proms is for you.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ThetaOmnikron posted:

If by art, you want old masters on canvas, then the National Gallery over the British Museum; the latter is more of a museum of things, so art in the form of Easter Island heads and what not.

As a list of thoughts rather than by any order of recommendation:

There's also Tate Britain (British art), V&A (decorative arts and design), The Wallace Collection (a lesser known but still significant collection of art), The Queen's Gallery (rather than a permanent collection, a smaller ticket only venue that runs short term exhibitions on different themes), The National Portrait Gallery (same building as The Nat. Gal but requires the use of different entrances).

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ThetaOmnikron posted:

So please, have at it.

You'll feel out of place because you'll have to look at a map all the time and people drive on the left. It's a huge city with all types of people, including tourists, so don't worry about how you look.

Get yourself an Oyster card for public transit, it makes poo poo a lot easier and cheaper and you can return it for your spare cash and deposit when you leave. You can also get around on the Boris bikes (blue and silver rental bikes available all over town) for real cheap (I think like £2 to take as many short trips as you want in a 24 hour period).

The Tate Modern is under construction at the moment and Turbine Hall is closed which is a shame because I really like that space. It's also hard to enjoy a room full of Rothkos when there's heavy drilling going on. The V&A will be packed now because they've got a huge David Bowie exhibition going on (costumes, photos and the like). Advance tickets for that are sold out but I think you can still get one on the day.

The best thing to do in London is eat, though! Go to the places to eat in London thread and get yourself some recommendations. Seriously there are a lot of great food options there and a poo poo-ton of craft ales to be drunk in pubs.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ThetaOmnikron posted:

I'd like to spend at least one day outside the city, and would love tips on the best day-long trips (would rather not stay out there since I've already paid for a room). And is 5 in london/1 outside of london a good split? or 4/2? or 6/0?

If you've spent any significant amount of time in beach towns in the US in Florida or SoCal or wherever, then Brighton will be an amazing disappointment. It has the best beaches and the most sun in England, but that's not really a compliment to Brighton so much as a slight to the rest of the country. It's not particularly interesting in a run down beach town kind of way either (like say, Venice Beach). I know Brits love it but I've been twice and thought it was on par with like, Galveston.

Possibly fun day trips, in rank order:
• Windsor (there's the castle, also the little town around it is quaint)
• Oxford (more fun than Cambridge; you can go punting down the river too I guess, or just walk around, it's a nice college town. Maybe boring when school is out of session)
• Canterbury: So you can say you've been to the Cathedral, which looks like a lot of other Gothic cathedrals, but if you haven't been around Europe before then it's pretty neat. The old town is nice.
• Stonehenge is utterly unremarkable but if you want to go to Bath, then I guess it's kind of on the way.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Some wonderful tips so far– will do some research on Brighton, and Oxford seems promising. What are the general opinion of hop-on-hop-off tour buses? I know they're terribly touristy, but I did one for a day of a trip in Dublin, and it seems like a decent way to look around and get oriented on the first day.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

ThetaOmnikron posted:

Some wonderful tips so far– will do some research on Brighton, and Oxford seems promising. What are the general opinion of hop-on-hop-off tour buses? I know they're terribly touristy, but I did one for a day of a trip in Dublin, and it seems like a decent way to look around and get oriented on the first day.

To save money try planning out a route consisting of normal buses around the city and just sit on the top deck, this will cost £1.40 per bus when using oyster (or contactless credit card) and caps at £4.40 (or if you used any trains, the travelcard cap). What you will miss out on will be a guided tour and the open air feel, so I guess it depends on how much backstory you want on things, though I guess a good guidebook would probably have more detail. As you mau have noticed there are several operators of open bus tours so pick one that goes where you are interested in and is a cheap(ish) price, its usually cheaper to book in advance, though this doesn't guarantee a space on the top deck! Your time is probably better spent actually visiting attractions rather than speeding past all of them though. Depends on what you want to see.

Another idea is to do a river tour instead, this gives you a viewpoint that you wouldn't get normally. Transport for London operate a few 'clipper' services that go up and down the Thames, stopping at various peirs at key locations. Costs vary based on payment method and how far you go: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14413.aspx .

Btw you might be tempted by the London Eye or going up to the top of the Shard. Both are expensive, but I guess its the way to get a good view.

Edit: If you go on a day trip by train try booking the tickets at least a few weeks in advance, two one-way singles. They lock you into a certain train are are non-refundable etc but are often dramatically cheaper than buying on the day.

nozz fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 19, 2013

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Saladman posted:

• Stonehenge is utterly unremarkable but if you want to go to Bath, then I guess it's kind of on the way.
I've no experience how easy it is to get to using public transport but Avebury, 20 miles north of Stonehenge, and it's henge is often said to be the superior experience. [Disclaimer: I've only seen Stonehenge from a moving car, and have yet to make it to Avebury]

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Saladman posted:

If you've spent any significant amount of time in beach towns in the US in Florida or SoCal or wherever, then Brighton will be an amazing disappointment. It has the best beaches and the most sun in England, but that's not really a compliment to Brighton so much as a slight to the rest of the country. It's not particularly interesting in a run down beach town kind of way either (like say, Venice Beach). I know Brits love it but I've been twice and thought it was on par with like, Galveston.

To be fair it is pretty great if you're gay.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

thecolorpurple posted:

Why don't you just take the train? There's a pretty good high-speed railway network in both countries, the only inconvenience is changing the train twice to get there.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Saladman posted:

• Oxford (more fun than Cambridge; you can go punting down the river too I guess, or just walk around, it's a nice college town. Maybe boring when school is out of session)

I disagree. Oxford is a hole while Cambridge actually looks like a university town. Oxford is still worth going to though.

smilehigh
Nov 2, 2010

RUUUUUNNNNNNNN

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've no experience how easy it is to get to using public transport but Avebury, 20 miles north of Stonehenge, and it's henge is often said to be the superior experience. [Disclaimer: I've only seen Stonehenge from a moving car, and have yet to make it to Avebury]

I agree with this. I've been to both Stonehenge and Avebury, and Avebury is by far better.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Stonehenge isn't that great and rather expensive for what you get (which is basically nothing). The only reason I went was because I had an English Heritage pass since I was in the UK for a month and saw a lot of other, better, sites. However, the one benefit of working the Stonehenge path is that there is a tour bus that stops at Stonehenge and Old Sarum and includes admission to both. Old Sarum is really cool though and it seems like not a lot of people visit it which made it really good to walk around.

There are a lot of great day trips from London you can do. Along with the others mentioned already I would also suggest Portsmouth if you're interested in naval history. There is a lot to see at the Dockyards including the HMS Victory and the HMS Warrior where you can walk through pretty much the whole ship. There are also museums in the Dockyards and a neat little interactive area. The location is also really good because there is a train direct from London to the Portsmouth Harbour station which is only a couple minutes away from the Dockyards.

If you don't mind going a bit further as well (just over 2 hours), I would recommend York as well. The amount of stuff to see and do in York was staggering for me considering how small it. York Minster is one of the nicest cathedrals I saw during my trip, York Castle is really neat even though it's small, there is a cool museum about Jorvik (Viking settlement of York) with a hilarious ride, Roman walls and history and city walls that you can still walk around. York was one of my favourite places in England.

To whet your palate on York here is a Viking taking a poop:

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 20, 2013

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MagicCube posted:

If you don't mind going a bit further as well (just over 2 hours), I would recommend York as well. The amount of stuff to see and do in York was staggering for me considering how small it. York Minster is one of the nicest cathedrals I saw during my trip, York Castle is really neat even though it's small, there is a cool museum about Jorvik (Viking settlement of York) with a hilarious ride, Roman walls and history and city walls that you can still walk around. York was one of my favourite places in England.

I did a 10 day roadtrip around England about 10 years ago and York was by far my favorite site. The old city walls are pretty rad. I also went in midsummer and was amazed at how long the sun was up; I'd never been outside the US in summer, so it was my first time with the sun being up until like, 11pm. I guess it is equivalently dismal in winter.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Saladman posted:

I did a 10 day roadtrip around England about 10 years ago and York was by far my favorite site. The old city walls are pretty rad. I also went in midsummer and was amazed at how long the sun was up; I'd never been outside the US in summer, so it was my first time with the sun being up until like, 11pm. I guess it is equivalently dismal in winter.

I went in winter and it was still beautiful. It rained a fair bit but I don't that took away from the beauty of the city.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Stratford-upon-Avon is another trip possibility, especially if you have any interest in Shakespeare.

canadiantreefrog
Aug 26, 2006

We are going to Rome for 7 days for my father's birthday in September. I have been doing a fair amount of research about what to do. We are definitely going to go to the Coliseum and that area, the Vatican, Borghese Gardens, Catacombs but I was hoping that someone might have some less conventional ideas of what we should do - especially in the evenings. My boyfriend and I are really into art and history. We also do a lot of Urbex-ing both in Canada and the US, so if anyone knows cool abandoned places in the area we'd appreciate it. We decided not to go to Pompeii because everything I read said that there isn't much there anymore because everything is in a museum. We aren't really club goers and although we love wine, doing the vineyard thing sounds really boring to me.

My other concern is regarding customs. We are flying from Toronto to Dusseldorf to Rome on Lufthansa. We only have a 1 hour layover in Dusseldorf. Are we going to have to go through customs there or in Toronto or in Rome?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

canadiantreefrog posted:

We decided not to go to Pompeii because everything I read said that there isn't much there anymore because everything is in a museum.
What? The entire city is still there. Sure, you're not going to see a lot of furniture or anything, but you can literally walk around a practically still standing city frozen in time. It's ABSOLUTELY worth a visit and was one of my favourite parts of visiting Rome.

If you're interested I can dig up my list of Churches/things worth seeing in them art-wise, although I don't know if a lot of them are open in the evenings as we always went during the day, but I assume so.

You'll have to go through customs at Dusseldorf, but a lot of European airports (I don't know about Duss though) have express lines for people with a really quick layover.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

canadiantreefrog posted:

We are going to Rome for 7 days for my father's birthday in September. I have been doing a fair amount of research about what to do. We are definitely going to go to the Coliseum and that area, the Vatican, Borghese Gardens, Catacombs but I was hoping that someone might have some less conventional ideas of what we should do - especially in the evenings. My boyfriend and I are really into art and history. We also do a lot of Urbex-ing both in Canada and the US, so if anyone knows cool abandoned places in the area we'd appreciate it. We decided not to go to Pompeii because everything I read said that there isn't much there anymore because everything is in a museum. We aren't really club goers and although we love wine, doing the vineyard thing sounds really boring to me.

My other concern is regarding customs. We are flying from Toronto to Dusseldorf to Rome on Lufthansa. We only have a 1 hour layover in Dusseldorf. Are we going to have to go through customs there or in Toronto or in Rome?

Not sure about the evenings but two sites I'm planning to visit are San Clemente within Rome itself and Ostia Antica which is like Pompeii but closer and has more stuff.

canadiantreefrog
Aug 26, 2006

HookShot posted:

If you're interested I can dig up my list of Churches/things worth seeing in them art-wise, although I don't know if a lot of them are open in the evenings as we always went during the day, but I assume so.

You'll have to go through customs at Dusseldorf, but a lot of European airports (I don't know about Duss though) have express lines for people with a really quick layover.

We'd love suggestions for churches and things worth seeing! We can always try to see more stuff. Thank you!

As for customs, thanks, I hope we make our connection or else the trip is off to a rough start.

Octy posted:

Not sure about the evenings but two sites I'm planning to visit are San Clemente within Rome itself and Ostia Antica which is like Pompeii but closer and has more stuff.

That's very cool. We're looking a Ostia Antica right now and that might be a possibility depending on money. Thanks for the suggestion!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

canadiantreefrog posted:

We'd love suggestions for churches and things worth seeing! We can always try to see more stuff. Thank you!

As for customs, thanks, I hope we make our connection or else the trip is off to a rough start.

That's very cool. We're looking a Ostia Antica right now and that might be a possibility depending on money. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ostia Anitca is a good substitute for Pompeii if you don't have the time/money to go, but honestly, Pompeii was better I thought. Ostia had good images left on the ground from back in the day, I quite liked the ancient merchant stalls that showed what they sold, and also the fact that there was one building where you could climb to the third floor, but Pompeii was just better preserved overall, was a lot bigger, and what they did have was more impressive. Though Ostia has a museum onsite that we didn't go into to see the normal sort of stuff that you see in a museum, the real incredulity is to walk around what literally used to be streets people lived on and imagining what their lives then would have been like.

Here's a bunch of my list of stuff to see in Rome, copy and pasted from a word doc:

San Clemente
Mithran temple/another older basilica underneath. Getting there: walk from Colosseo Metro Line B. Excavations from Monday to Saturday, 09.00-12.30 & 15.00-18.00. Cost 5E.

St-Peter-In-Chains Church
Getting there: Take metro line B to Cavour. Go west on Via Cavour until you hit the stairs. Go up them and keep going until you hit the church. Has the chains that held St. Peter, Michaelangelo’s Moses. Doesn’t look like a church. Open 8-12:30 then 3-6, entry is free.

Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
Getting there: Walk from Cavour or Vittorio Emanuele. Open from 7am to 7pm. Free.

Sant’Ignazio
Getting there: Near Pantheon.

Santa Maria del Popolo, Twin Churches, Obelisk
Holds two Caravaggio paintings. Getting there: Take Metro Line A to Flaminio Plaza del Popolo, walk south through the ridiculous gate. Open 7-12 and 4-7 Mon-Sat, Sunday 8-1 and 4:30-7. -- A note about this: you're not allowed taking photos of the paintings, it turns out. But as a big Caravaggio fan, to me it was still worth it.

Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli
Getting there: Take Metro to Termini Station, walk (with map) or take Metro Line A to Repubblica Teatro dell’Opera. Free, open Mon-Sat 7-6:30, Sun 7-7:30. Closed during Mass. Somewhere on the grounds of the baths there is an obelisk.

Santa Maria della Vittoria
The Ecstasy of St Theresa. Getting there: Take Metro to Repubblica Teatro dell’Opera, walk along Via Vittorio Emmanuele Orlando until you reach it. Free, open Mon-Sat 8:30-12 & 15:30-6.

Villa Borghese
Getting there: Take Metro Line A to Spagna, follow the signs. Reserve tickets in advance online. 2hr limit to spend in the museum.

Santa Maria in Trastevere
Reported to be where the first mass in Rome was held, also lots of Roman ruins outside. Getting there: . Free, open 7am to 9pm. Go to Lepanto Metro Station (Line A). Catch the 280 bus to Partigiani. Get off after 10 stops, at lgt farnesina/trilussa.

San Giovani Laterano
Getting there: Take Metro Line A to San Giovani. Walk north 50-100 metres to see the church. Free, cloisters 2E.

Saint Paul’s Outside the Walls
Getting there: Take the metro line B to San Paulo, walk north along Via Ostienze until you see it. Cloister is closed from 1-3pm. Free, open 7am to 6pm.

San Clemente I think would be my absolute must-see of all of those. If you like art, the Ecstasy of St Theresa is awesome, and if you stay in the church for more than like five minutes you'll probably get it all to yourself as long as you're not there on a Sunday. We stayed for about twenty minutes, every three or four minutes a couple tourists would come in, have a look, snap a photo and leave, and we'd be alone with what really is a magestic work of art.

Santa Maria in Trastevere is harder to get to than most, but also awesome, especially the Roman ruins collection along the front wall and Trastevere is pretty cool in general, apparently especially in the evenings.

I also never went to Galleria Borghese but was told it was unforgettable.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hey, thanks for inadvertently reminding me that I should do a 'getting there' section for my itinerary, as if I wasn't already organised enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Trastevere is great for wandering around of an evening and there's some incredible little trattorias around there to have dinner in. Just don't make the same mistake I did by ordering a pasta entrée as well as a main. After devouring a rather large helping of the best gnocchi I'd had in my life, the next dish came out and it was an entire rabbit. :(

If you want to see Pompeii type ruins, I recommend Herculaneum instead! It's way better preserved, less crowded and easier on the legs (my partner has a dodgy ankle so we found Pompeii a bit of a mission).