Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
And don't even get me started on the SceneStealer watermarks in Arrested Development!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Another good episode: Murder By the Book, directed by a young Steven Spielberg.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SRM posted:

Carbombya, Pop: 1000 Camels.
I thought this was something you made up to illustrate how stupid that show was but nope, it's something they actually did. Wow.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The newest season of Peep Show is up. Also, the other seasons of Peep Show are back up.

If you'd like to see a relatively dry British comedy about two men making every possible wrong decision they could make at every step of their lives while their internal monologue grows increasingly more bitter/oblivious, then boy, do I have a show for you :)

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I just finished watching Drive again and man I love that movie. One of my favorite things about it is the music. Can anyone recommend any other movies available that have great music/scores?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

The newest season of Peep Show is up. Also, the other seasons of Peep Show are back up.

If you'd like to see a relatively dry British comedy about two men making every possible wrong decision they could make at every step of their lives while their internal monologue grows increasingly more bitter/oblivious, then boy, do I have a show for you :)

I just want That Mitchell And Webb Look back. I love that. Peep show is fun, but gets too cringe-y for me sometimes, Look just always cheers me up.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just want That Mitchell And Webb Look back. I love that. Peep show is fun, but gets too cringe-y for me sometimes, Look just always cheers me up.

Yes, certainly. I still laugh randomly when I think about the sketch where they're filming one of those historical documents about radar and the narrator can't stop using hand gestures :shobon:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

Yes, certainly. I still laugh randomly when I think about the sketch where they're filming one of those historical documents about radar and the narrator can't stop using hand gestures :shobon:

The best part is how the whole episode would cut in and out between regular sketches and that. Such a good show, man. Other favorite of mine- Hail Vectron!

EDIT: Also, anything starting with "And that's a bad miss"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
"..... are we..... are we the baddies?"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Rurea posted:

I just finished watching Drive again and man I love that movie. One of my favorite things about it is the music. Can anyone recommend any other movies available that have great music/scores?

I found the original score for Beyond the Black Rainbow to be really excellent and it had a similar 80s synth feel to Drive. Check out the trailer on YouTube for some of it.

I really wish they'd put out the soundtrack, I'd buy it. The guy's other side project from his regular band (Sinaloa Caves, regularly with the sludge rockers Black Mountain) is also cool.

Additionally the soundtrack to the game Hotline: Miami is very Drive-esque.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Whenever someone mentions Drive I think of this direct to video movie that I own on DVD because it is nutty and I like it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116147

Kind of wish it was on Netflix.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dacap posted:

I'm sure it's just because Netflix is being sent the HDTV versions of films and not blu-ray/DVD versions

This is certainly the case. Netflix does seem to use the best masters provided. They have a bunch of restored Disney cartoons in HD that aren't even on Blu-Ray yet.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Rurea posted:

Holy Motors

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Rurea posted:

The Elijah Wood-starring remake of Maniac has a wonderfully Drive-y soundtrack to it, with some shades of John Carpenter. (Oop, not on Netflix, though, sorry. Worth a watch though if you can find it.)

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 19, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rurea posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow and the Solaris remake.

Also Hobo with a Shotgun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CXvBzY_grc

Edit: forgot I was in the Netflix thread. Solaris isn't on Netflix. the other two are though.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Hobo with a Shotgun is a pretty fun B movie until they introduce Rip and Grinder. Those two completely take over the second half of the film and I always forget what happens with with the hobo.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Rurea posted:

Thief.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

joke reply:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangerine_Dream_discography#Soundtracks

Almost for serious but smartassed answer: just about anything Michael Mann directed/produced in the 80's, including the television series Miami Vice.

But in my joke reply, I know right off the bat that Tangerine Dream did both Thief and The Keep.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 19, 2013

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I'm trying to watch Supernatural but I just can't seem to get into it. Does it get better? I'm on season one, and trying to figure out if I want to keep going.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"..... are we..... are we the baddies?"

That's Numberwang!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bash Ironfist posted:

I'm trying to watch Supernatural but I just can't seem to get into it. Does it get better? I'm on season one, and trying to figure out if I want to keep going.

Oh yes. You're better off racing through most of Season 1. It really picks up from about episode 17-18 onwards. Once it lays down some mythology it does a great job of standalone episodes and worldbuilding. Seasons 2-5 are fantastic.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

10 Beers posted:

That's Numberwang!

Why that's incredible, it's like you've met my aunt!

"What does David say this about? Find out next time on: The Gift Shop Sketch!"

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Oh yes. You're better off racing through most of Season 1. It really picks up from about episode 17-18 onwards. Once it lays down some mythology it does a great job of standalone episodes and worldbuilding. Seasons 2-5 are fantastic.

Will I miss anything story-wise if I do? I feel like I'll miss stuff about the main plot or what ever if I skip some.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rurea posted:

You can also try out artists such as Kavinsky or College.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOf6HzYjLDQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuIJ-h_8zpA

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Along these lines, the Hotline Miami soundtrack: https://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Um, wow, Rome has just been added to UK netflix (under the BBC rather than HBO banner). Time for a rewatch I think...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bash Ironfist posted:

No, no it does not get better. It is not a show that is of good quality.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
Looks like they added Turbulence 3: Heavy Metal finally. Turbulence (the first) was a movie about a captured serial killer being transported via commercial airliner which turns into a highjacking. The sequel centered around a therapy group who book a flight to try to get over their fear of flying which gets highjacked. In this third iteration, a heavy metal band mimicking Marylin Manson is to perform a live streaming concert on a plane which gets highjacked by some satan worshipers looking to crash it into some church in middle of nowhere Kansas.

Keep an eye out for the hero of Turbulence 2 who in this movie is some sort of cop that tracks down a computer hacker who has a live feed into the plane!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Pick posted:

No, no it does not get better. It is not a show that is of good quality.

Bizarrely enough, people on Facebook are constantly going on about how great this show is. I watched a season and it was typical trash genre television - it was Not Good. Can someone tell me why this show is so popular? Is because the two dudes are pretty good looking and drive a sweet car? (99% of the Facebook love is by women, although my wife watched the show with me and didn't like it either).

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Bash Ironfist posted:

Stick it out, I quit at least twice in the first season but kept going. Season one's main plot is very spotty with too many monster of the week episodes. Season two it gets its footing with a real plot and just gets better every season. 3-5 is crazy balls to the walls poo poo every week with awesome characters. Most of season 6 is loving awful, but they fix it at the end and season 7 picks up to be good again.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Bizarrely enough, people on Facebook are constantly going on about how great this show is. I watched a season and it was typical trash genre television - it was Not Good. Can someone tell me why this show is so popular? Is because the two dudes are pretty good looking and drive a sweet car? (99% of the Facebook love is by women, although my wife watched the show with me and didn't like it either).

Yes basically 99% of why it's popular is because crazy people like to imagine the two dudes making butt love.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Pretty much, except it's the two dudes plus the angel and sometimes the redneck. I think I'm the polar opposite of everyone. I liked the monster-of-the-week format. Once they got into the big seasonal arcs, it kinda killed it for me. That and every person on that show talks like Bale's Batman. My wife really likes it and I caught a few episodes with her and the lighter ones are genuinely funny, and they're totally aware of the creepy fans. I think an episode in one of the later seasons is actually called "Slash Fiction".

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I'm like 17 episodes into Fringe and the overarching plot is getting really thick... Please tell me it pays off satisfactorily...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Me in Reverse posted:

I'm like 17 episodes into Fringe and the overarching plot is getting really thick... Please tell me it pays off satisfactorily...

Yes. But not in any way you'd reasonably expect right now.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Me in Reverse posted:

Do they ever?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Me in Reverse posted:

I felt the exact same way a few weeks ago, still watching, but am losing interest halfway through season 3.

I just finished V/H/S, the first two segments were mediocre at best, but it was more than made up for with the last three. It was probably the first legitimately scary movie I've seen since the original Paranormal Activity.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

sleepingbuddha posted:

I just finished V/H/S, the first two segments were mediocre at best, but it was more than made up for with the last three. It was probably the first legitimately scary movie I've seen since the original Paranormal Activity.

Yay! You're one of the few people that likes the middle segment of V/H/S! I lvoe all the segments in that movie but almost no one else seems to like the middle one.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I don't remember which ones they are, whats the third one again?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

I don't remember which ones they are, whats the third one again?

The third is the one with the glitch killer or whatever you'd call it..

In general most people like the first segment, it's pretty evenly split on the second, most people don't like the third, the fourth is mixed but mainly positive, the last one is mainly positive and almost no one likes the framing segments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

On another Fringe-related note, when are they going to put up Season 5? The DVD release was in May, so the usual grace period is long over. I binged through the first four and loved it, now I need to see how it ends!

• Locked thread