Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

I wish I had a faster lens/cable release for these, but w/e. loving milky way. Badlands own people, best part of south dakota.

P7150721.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

milky way test by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7150801.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7150802.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Using the second one as my iPhone background. Great pics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!
Snapped a few of my parents bar in the back yard. Living in Saskatchewan we get to use it 4-5 months out of the year max.

Bar1 by bighoits, on Flickr

bar2 by bighoits, on Flickr

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

night time toad exposure

582525-R1-08-29A by zackaryattackary, on Flickr

the lil guy sat still for 2 minutes while I took the photo

CurlyFries
Jul 7, 2004

Sunset in Mendocino, California. 30 second exposure.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Republic Cafe, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

P7190857.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7190873.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P7190842.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Took my camera out for drinks, came back with some long exposures. I used a wall as a tripod, guesstimated infinity focus on the 50mm 1.8 and because my 400D lacks live view I had to wing the composition as well. Given the circumstances, it could have been a lot worse

Fireworks again by Norrskensren, on Flickr

Marina by night by Norrskensren, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I hear the AFB near me evacuate the flightline for lightning and all I do is run for my camera and go stand outside :geno:

P7220026.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I like this one since it shows the edge of the rain coming down.

P7220023.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Same with this one.

P7220017.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Hell yeah.

P7220015.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Cloud lightning.

P7220008.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

And I call this "signs you should go inside and wait for the lightning to move away"

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

Untitled by anveo, on Flickr

Starry River by anveo, on Flickr

*** bonus edit ***

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Pic of some northern lights last night

DSC_4544.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cross posting from PAD with the aim to improve my long exposure technique.

Battlecruiser Operational by TCZPhotography, on Flickr

This shot has only been cropped. Should I desaturate the sky? What framing would you guys have used instead? What is your strategy regarding aperture for night sky shots with subjects in the foreground? I think this was shot at f16.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Iceland is a windy place.

DSCF2418.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I rented a 5D Mk. III and went to Vermont. I'm floored by the performance I got.

Painted Sky by rcman50166, on Flickr

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I went to Pittsburgh for the cliché shot:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hey guys! I'm going to have access to a Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope sometime in September for a bit, I'm wondering if you guys know what kind of mount I'd need to hook my Canon 30D to it. Would a T-mount be fine, or does each telescope differ?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

HookShot posted:

Hey guys! I'm going to have access to a Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope sometime in September for a bit, I'm wondering if you guys know what kind of mount I'd need to hook my Canon 30D to it. Would a T-mount be fine, or does each telescope differ?

Generally you'll want something like this http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Tel...+camera+adapter or the version that doesn't have the 2x adapter http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-936...+camera+adapter (the adapter unscrews if you don't always want 2x).

That'll give your telescope a tmount, and then you can get a t mount to canon adapter to connect to your camera.

Hope the telescope has a good equatorial mount if you want to do any extended shots!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

Generally you'll want something like this http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Tel...+camera+adapter or the version that doesn't have the 2x adapter http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-936...+camera+adapter (the adapter unscrews if you don't always want 2x).

That'll give your telescope a tmount, and then you can get a t mount to canon adapter to connect to your camera.

Hope the telescope has a good equatorial mount if you want to do any extended shots!
Awesome, thanks for that!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Don't forget about the meteor shower tonight and the next few days. I'm out now and the sky is crystal clear here but it's pretty cold. drat you 4am!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

IceLicker posted:

Don't forget about the meteor shower tonight and the next few days. I'm out now and the sky is crystal clear here but it's pretty cold. drat you 4am!

Lets see what it looks like outside.

P8110273.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Oh, well then.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

IceLicker posted:

No meteors visible tonight, but

DSC_4641.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_4638.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_4598.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
These things are hard to catch...

Also, this was my first real experience trying to do night photography. Any feedback would be appreciated.

IMG_3403 by icelicker, on Flickr

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IceLicker posted:

These things are hard to catch...

Also, this was my first real experience trying to do night photography. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Same for me! I only had 1 keeper from last night, and I didn't even catch a meteor in it.

I had a few where I liked the composition more, but I didn't have my manual focus set correctly. :sigh:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 11, 2013

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I had a few where I liked the composition more, but I didn't have my manual focus set correctly. :sigh:

I have been playing around with night time exposures, but struggle with sharpness. Any suggestions on f-stop and focusing?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

accipter posted:

I have been playing around with night time exposures, but struggle with sharpness. Any suggestions on f-stop and focusing?

Set the aperture to the smallest possible which lets you get the light you need. Live view manual focus on something at "infinity" (stars, distant lights) while zoomed in on the live view.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

accipter posted:

Someone please correct me since I'm new to this night time shooting stuff: It depends on the effect you're going for, but for stars I think you want to shoot wide open and push the ISO to the highest you're comfortable with on your body. In my case that was f/3.5 on my TS-E 24 II (which is still very sharp at that aperture), ISO 6400 on my 5D III, and an exposure time of 15 seconds.

I think my shots were still slightly under-exposed, but the only faster glass I had with me was my 24-70 f/2.8 II and I wasn't sure how much of a benefit that would net me. Perhaps I should have tried the extra 2/3 stop provided by f/2.8. I didn't want to push ISO any higher, but I suppose I could have tried longer exposure times. I swear the stars started to blur at 30+ seconds though. Maybe I'll experiment more next time.

As far as sharpness goes, quality glass is always good since you're shooting wide open, but there are some other tips I can think of: use a tripod, and use a remote trigger. Failing a remote trigger, at least use your camera's built-in timer to take the shot. You don't want to touch the camera at any point during the exposure.

Focusing can be tricky, as I learned last night. I thought simply turning the focus ring all the way to the end would set me up correctly for infinity focus, and unfortunately I took quite a few shots without checking them carefully. Only near the end did I realize that the end of the focus ring is actually too far for what I was shooting, and is apparently infinity focus for the infrared index. I actually had to move the focus ring back from the end slightly for proper infinity focus on the standard distance index.

Live View didn't really work for focusing on stars for me, but after a shot you should review it using the zoom tool on your camera to verify that you got what you want. If you're shooting subjects in the foreground, then you can definitely use a flashlight or something and use Live View to get that in focus.

Speaking of flashlights, this was invaluable on the trip last night because it was pitch black, and you absolutely do not want to be juggling a flashlight while you try to set up your camera or change a lens:

The next shot I want to try is a Milky Way panorama with my tilt-shift.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 12, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Make sure it's got the red light on it, OR get some red seran wrap or something to cover it. White light will gently caress up your night vision!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yep, that one's got the red light.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The "not so infinity" focus problem you're experiencing is because you likely want to be on the hyperfocal length, not the infinity focus length.

Wikipedia entry on it.

The |____ part of the focal distance gauge? My limited understanding of this all suggests that you want to focus on the | line of the |___ before infinity. That oughta be your hyperfocal distance, though it may vary a little - on my EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 the camera tends to front focus a bit, so a millimetre or two before the |. (I should suck it up, hop on board the micro AF adjustment train, and buy an AF chart already since I don't have access to a printer)

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Holy crap, I ducked upon looking at this. Nice shot.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The milky way between Cygnus and Aquila, according to a helpful goon in the spaceflight thread. 10x13sec exposure stack.

BadlandsStack1.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

What you can't see in the stack is two satellites passing through the image. My best guess right now is Cosmo 2278 (moving left to right) and UME-1 (moving right to left).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Speaking of flashlights, this was invaluable on the trip last night because it was pitch black, and you absolutely do not want to be juggling a flashlight while you try to set up your camera or change a lens:

The next shot I want to try is a Milky Way panorama with my tilt-shift.

I wound up picking up something similar to this today, but it was this one http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Bri...rgizer+headlamp

The red lamp has it's own separate switch which is cool, no need to cycle through the white lights if you turn it off and want to turn it back on.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
SWSP what lens/iso/exposure were you using? I tried to look at the EXIF but imgur strips it all. I presume this was shot with your 5D3?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Hopefully the bit of gorilla glue I added to the t-nut make it secure enough that the whole thing won't just fall off the tripod. Otherwise I'll have to redo it with oak or something instead :negative:

fake edit: my phone doesn't give a gently caress about white balance.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Hopefully the bit of gorilla glue I added to the t-nut make it secure enough that the whole thing won't just fall off the tripod. Otherwise I'll have to redo it with oak or something instead :negative:

fake edit: my phone doesn't give a gently caress about white balance.

Sorry but what the hell is this? I've been looking at it for a couple min and can't fathom what it's for.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

It's for tracking stars for long exposures (without spending serious money).

http://www.astropix.com/BGDA/SAMPLE2/SAMPLE2.HTM

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry but what the hell is this? I've been looking at it for a couple min and can't fathom what it's for.

I'm going to hazard a guess but, it looks like it rotates around the pole to control azimuth and then the hinge controls elevation :science: But I'm probably wrong :eng99:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So how do you actually have it rotate? I would think you still have to hook it up to something reasonably expensive to control the rotation.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

VelociBacon posted:

So how do you actually have it rotate? I would think you still have to hook it up to something reasonably expensive to control the rotation.

the bolt apparently controls elevation, and is rotated one revolution per minute to keep up with the earths rotation. Or something sciencey

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Well as it sits I clamp a crescent wrench to the bolt and turn it at the same speed of the minute hand of a watch (assuming i can find my watch). Too cloudy and smokey to see anything right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Well as it sits I clamp a crescent wrench to the bolt and turn it at the same speed of the minute hand of a watch (assuming i can find my watch). Too cloudy and smokey to see anything right now though.

Very cool - how bout a comparison shot of using it vs not using it?