Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

After going through a PS reservoir relocation and all manner of other poo poo to install a second battery SIX drat months ago (or more) I finally put in the isolator and cabling.

(ignore those errant pieces of 12 wire....they were for the radio and need to be relocated to the aux battery now that it's hooked up)

I really wanted to put in an isolator/combiner, but at least this is a relay type isolator (the diode ones are usually poo poo as you lose almost a volt across them, leaving your aux battery typically undercharged). Worst case I can just bridge them with jumper cables if it comes down to it. Or swap the aux and starting battery. It's not like I don't permanently keep a set of tools in this heap.

Now I have an excuse to move on to a solar charger for the aux battery and the fridge/cooler I've been meaning to build (gently caress paying for a National Luna).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Investigated a torn CV boot that wasn't.
Later on I even refused to believe it, unclipped the guard cup again and proceeded to run my fingers all over the CV boot and have them clean afterward. I really can't find a crack in the CV boot. I do hope for my sake I'm right.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Nearly set it on fire by unwittingly driving it around with a massive fuel system leak! :thumbsup:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Got the A/C working! (no pictures because my hands were filthy and the whole process was maddeningly fiddly so I didn't really want to stop for pictures. If you need a mental image, picture a bald and very neckbearded goon sweating profusely and cursing as he crawls around on the garage floor :v:

Amazingly enough the compressor wasn't seized, even after a protracted period of inactivity. It wasn't engaging at first but that was apparently due to having little or no pressure. Booted some refrigerant into it and it snapped right to life. Then the belt started slipping badly, possibly due to the surface rust on the pulleys. That or a bearing was a little gummy, but either way it sorted itself and is working OK now.

Probably time to have it checked a little more thoroughly...

e: didn't see any dye pouring out though. Good a start as any.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just got the roadworthy certificate for the Niva! Woo!

Now to decide when to throw the best part of $1k at registering it :(

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Oil change!

Didn't even spill a drop, after last time that is a massive accomplishment;
vs now

The battery box makes a really good spot for your lunch as well;

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

The battery box makes a really good spot for your lunch as well;

What's in the box?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I decided I wanted my BRZ's exhaust a little louder, so I replaced the "front pipe"

It ended up sounding pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx1AoklAirQ&hd=1

Then I flashed MY WIFE's Civic SI. Its a totally different car now and she loves it :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Insured and registered the Niva today. They really did a bang up job for me. Got me nearly $200 off CTP by adding third party property and standard roadside to get the multi policy discount. It worked out a little more than the CTP alone but hey I got two extra bits of coverage!

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

j3rkstore posted:

I decided I wanted my BRZ's exhaust a little louder, so I replaced the "front pipe"

It ended up sounding pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx1AoklAirQ&hd=1

Then I flashed MY WIFE's Civic SI. Its a totally different car now and she loves it :v:

I'm planning to get flashpro later this year, how much better is the DBW response? did it fix the rev hang?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Throttle response is much improved and the rev hang is completely gone. The VTEC crossover is much lower (4200ish) and almost unnoticeable. Power delivery is pretty smooth throughout the rev range and it pulls harder above 6k. I'm going to try a MAP tune tonight and see if it gets any better.

I had put a Skunk2 CAI on the car about a month ago and it was acting flightly ever since, the reflash fixed that immediately.

Now to convince her to upgrade the stock header :getin:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is that the 2000+ sneaker hatch Si or the most recent one?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Its a 2007 FA5

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I got new shocks all the way around on my truck today and it is a completely different drive now. The front ones were completely dead and weren't doing anything. The rears had a little more life in them, but not by much. I got the Monroe "Sensa-Trac" and they were $95 each for the front and $84 each for the rear I believe. I no longer have to worry about losing control and braking power with every little bump in the road! :v:

Now all I need is ball joints and tires before wintertime and hopefully I can stop dumping $ into this thing for a while. I've owned it for 1.5 months and already put $2100 into it. :rant:

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Hey, do any of you other classic car guys hate ethanol fuel as much as I do? I hate how fast fuel evaporates from my carburetor on a hot florida day, makes my already abysmal gas mileage that much worse. Not that I'm complaining, I love my engine. I'm pondering what exhaust I should put on my old 283. Any suggestions?

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

j3rkstore posted:

Its a 2007 FA5

Where'd you purchase said flashpro? I've got an 07 as well with a SRI as the only mod and have been considering grabbing one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

11BulletCatcher posted:

Hey, do any of you other classic car guys hate ethanol fuel as much as I do?

I don't know anyone who is into cars (classic or not), boats, or owns equipment with small engines that doesn't hate ethanol fuel.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Motronic posted:

I don't know anyone who is into cars (classic or not), boats, or owns equipment with small engines that doesn't hate ethanol fuel.

E85 tends to be the exception in my experience. A lot of people I know actually love it. Easy to pass emissions (sniffer test) and great anti-knock properties for turbo'd applications.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I didn't get any money for the two auto transmissions I just shoved out the door but I didn't want to move the damned to NC things so it's still a win.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Brigdh posted:

E85 tends to be the exception in my experience. A lot of people I know actually love it. Easy to pass emissions (sniffer test) and great anti-knock properties for turbo'd applications.

It's also much, much cheaper - below $3/gallon around here, compared to ~$3.60 for regular unleaded.

I've given some thought to picking up one of the many E85 conversion kits, but I don't think my current car would be that great with it - it's pretty underpowered to begin with. :v: The Altima probably would have handled it a bit better, it had a bit more power.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

rizzo1001 posted:

Where'd you purchase said flashpro? I've got an 07 as well with a SRI as the only mod and have been considering grabbing one.

I used Xenocron.com. They're relatively close so I paid for UPS ground and it got here the next day.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think there's a power loss associated with E85 if you convert properly - just a huge hit to fuel economy since nominal AFR for E85 is much lower than gasoline.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

j3rkstore posted:

Its a 2007 FA5

Ah. I looked on Hondata's website and it seems that they skipped from OBD-1 to K-series and left OBD-II B-series havers needing a conversion kit. Gee thanks t:mad:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think there's a power loss associated with E85 if you convert properly - just a huge hit to fuel economy since nominal AFR for E85 is much lower than gasoline.

In that case, well... I may look into it. The kits are certainly cheap enough, though some of them look like snake oil (box that goes between ECU and injectors, with only a ground connection aside from that?). I know this engine was offered in a flex fuel configuration in different models, makes me wonder if I can do an ECU swap and add whatever sensors are necessary, keeping it completely OEM..

The tiny bit of googling I just did actually suggests that with the OEM flex fuel configuration on this engine (L61, though it got a different designation in flex fuel trim, despite being essentially the same engine), you actually get a (slight) power boost when running on E85.

The economy hit would stink if it was significant - I only have a 13 gallon tank to begin with.

More thinking out loud, I guess...

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

some texas redneck posted:

It's also much, much cheaper - below $3/gallon around here, compared to ~$3.60 for regular unleaded.

I've given some thought to picking up one of the many E85 conversion kits, but I don't think my current car would be that great with it - it's pretty underpowered to begin with. :v: The Altima probably would have handled it a bit better, it had a bit more power.

It's cheaper on the surface, but the same amount of E85 won't get you as far down the road as conventional fuel, so you'll be spending more in the long run if you do a lot of driving.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

11BulletCatcher posted:

It's cheaper on the surface, but the same amount of E85 won't get you as far down the road as conventional fuel, so you'll be spending more in the long run if you do a lot of driving.

Hmm, at those prices, you might come out about even, cost wise. The race cars I've seen run about 30% more fuel on E85 than normal pump gas.

A 13 gallon tank though might suck....

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I run the highest grade premium I get in everything, because everything I have hates the standard octane which is ethanol doped. It's costing me $1.70+/L but it's so worth it. Can't speak for other cars but it nets me a massive fuel economy boost on the Fairlane which runs great on the highest octane, sort of okay on the medium one and pings its tits off if i try putting standard in it.

The mowers also hate ethanol and I haven't been game to try it in the EA81 powered VW or the Niva.

Edit for content: Not much. Put tape on the rear hatch again last night because I haven't had time to finish the rust repairs on the weatehrstrip lip that will stop the water getting in.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It just occurred to me that the ethanol in regular fuel is probably why the brand new air filter I put in my Blazer is already dissolving. Are there any brands with a ring filter that are ethanol resistant? TBI is about the worst-case scenario for fuel overspray on those. Also, just for reference, do the higher-grade fuels have less ethanol in the U.S., or are we SOL because corn lobby?

In import news, I spent about $2 grand of my mom's money getting parts for the Protege. New radiator, new semi-lightweight flywheel (16 lbs vs. 18-20 stock) and the big ticket item was a complete engine from ProtegeGarage. Depending on how much time I get before the semester ends, I should have the car driving again sometime this August. :unsmith:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Replaced the crankshaft angle sensor on my Mercedes E55 in the parking lot of a liquor store in rural Alabama. I only dropped the damned thing into the undertray twice and the bolt once. Luckily I had the foresight to bring a magnet and a metal coat hanger so I got all that cleared out.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Bumming Your Scene posted:

What's in the box?

Definitely not a head!

Swiss mushroom melt and some fries covered in a little ketchup, takes about 10 minutes to eat which is perfect while waiting for the oil to finish draining! The DQ is right next to the O'Reillys so when I do oil changes I always grab that combo 'cause I really don't feel like fixing food when I've been crawling under that drat thing and it's super low clearance. I love working on the SO's Jeep with all it's clearance and easily accessible parts, which is ironic because it always needs something :v:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fucknag posted:

Also, just for reference, do the higher-grade fuels have less ethanol in the U.S., or are we SOL because corn lobby?

Varies state by state. Here in PA, every grade has 10%, and it loving blows. Some states you can easily find ethanol free gas.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In canada, shell v-power premium is ethanol free.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Changed my intake and cabin air filters because I've had my car a year.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Today I ignored the shocking weather and flushed the radiator in my soarer. It normally takes Toyota red long life but the previous owner was obviously a fan of instant coffee:

So now it's being cooled by something that doesn't look like Nescafé.
Slowly but surely I'm patching up what the previous owner (idiot) never touched - still needs to changeover the pcv valve, recap the ecu and an oil change but first things first.

In other news while checking out my power steering pump, I managed to brush my wedding ring against the battery terminal - gently caress! Won't be working on the car wearing that little band of conductive metal again :c

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Changed the oil because it was way overdue. What should have been a 5 minute task took half an hour because somebody put the drain plug in so tight I had to imact gun it back out(!). Then the filter was on so tight I had to wait for everything to cool off a bit again before I could wedge both hands in and crack it free. PO's/lazy garages :argh:

Fortunately my bf's neightbor's cat baby panther came to help:

He leapt straight up there from the car roof. :catstare:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That is one awesome cat.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
He is, but he's vicious at the same time. Try and pet him and there's a good chance you'll come away looking like you've been self harming. Plus he weighs 10kg and can knock children/small people over if he tries.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Larrymer posted:

That is the most awesome cat.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

General_Failure posted:

I run the highest grade premium I get in everything, because everything I have hates the standard octane which is ethanol doped. It's costing me $1.70+/L but it's so worth it. Can't speak for other cars but it nets me a massive fuel economy boost on the Fairlane which runs great on the highest octane, sort of okay on the medium one and pings its tits off if i try putting standard in it.

The mowers also hate ethanol and I haven't been game to try it in the EA81 powered VW or the Niva.

Edit for content: Not much. Put tape on the rear hatch again last night because I haven't had time to finish the rust repairs on the weatehrstrip lip that will stop the water getting in.

I used to run 89 in all my cars for years. Then recently I switched to 93/94 on my Cadillacs and put some techron in. The engines do seem to run better than before, quieter and smoother. (Note: effect may be psychological).

Today I went out and got a rear disc brake tool and I got my rear pads and rotors in that I ordered online. I'm ready to do the brakes on my 99 Deville this weekend but it's 93 so :effort:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Astroman posted:

I used to run 89 in all my cars for years. Then recently I switched to 93/94 on my Cadillacs and put some techron in. The engines do seem to run better than before, quieter and smoother. (Note: effect may be psychological).

Today I went out and got a rear disc brake tool and I got my rear pads and rotors in that I ordered online. I'm ready to do the brakes on my 99 Deville this weekend but it's 93 so :effort:.

It's a waste of time and money for 93 unless it requires it.

jammyozzy posted:

He is, but he's vicious at the same time. Try and pet him and there's a good chance you'll come away looking like you've been self harming. Plus he weighs 10kg and can knock children/small people over if he tries.

Yep, you've just validated my argument.

And onto what I actually did today. The Saabaru went went from this: (after a weekend of a long, dusty drive to Nelson Ledges where it was my Chumpcar accessory hauler)

To this:

Keen observers may note the Rock Auto boxes in the background of one of the pics. I've got new axles for the front to put in tomorrow and plan to give the front hubs another go at cleaning/rust removal. I'm still getting a vibration under braking after new pads and rotors up front, so I'm going to try and clean that up before buying another set of rotors. Rock Auto already approved my warranty claim to get another set, but it would be nice if I didn't have to ship back those boat anchors on my own dime. Hopefully this fixes it.

And then on the other car (99 civic) I changed the plugs because it felt like it was missing a bit in the hot, humid weather this week.

They were all even at least.

I've had the new plugs since I bought the car 3 (4?) years ago but they looked new when I pulled them the first time. I left the old ones in back then and figured I'd check them today. The gap was supposed to be 0.044 from what I read online. The gap on the old ones were about 0.058-0.063 and half of the electrodes were gone. So they were probably due. Oh Honda. :allears: This car just won't die, and I'm too cheap to upgrade until it does.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 20, 2013