Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

pdxjohan posted:

Here's an exclusive EU4 screenshot for you guys..

Someone please explain the reference to me because I'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Takanago posted:

Someone please explain the reference to me because I'm dumb.

Some guy I can't remember the name of posted that text a hundred or so pages back in the thread, when people were complaining about the coring/cultureflip mechanics for the first time. Apparently, it was based on a historical account of the Greeks using a fire in Thessaloniki as an excuse to settle orthodox Greeks in a formerly-Jewish city.

Friend Commuter fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 19, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope that event only fires if you've converted Paris to Swedish by 1651, it would be a shame to ruin the amazing faux-historical text by having to contextualise it.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Would some generous soul mind looking at these decisions that I've made for the Modern Age Mod and figuring out why this is happening? I think I'm probably missing a bracket somewhere or something stupid.

Edit: Forgot the = after political_decisions. Hurr.

Magissima fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 19, 2013

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Puella Magissima posted:

Would some generous soul mind looking at these decisions that I've made for the Modern Age Mod and figuring out why this is happening? I think I'm probably missing a bracket somewhere or something stupid.

I am looking it over and Sublime Text is acting like the top-level containing brackets aren't closed, but everything looks fine to me. I can't figure out why you'd be having any problems. :confused:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

pdxjohan posted:

If I could preorder EUIV any harder I would :allears:. Only way that could be more awesome would be a Swedish/French union nation but that would be getting too silly.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Would you call said union the Big Blue Blob?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

pdxjohan posted:

I'd preorder EU4 in honor of all this, but I already did that weeks ago. However, is there any way to check if I got the regular or Digital Extreme edition? I figure Paradox deserves at least another 5 bucks for all the work they put into this, also I'm a total DLC whore.

edit:

Chief Savage Man posted:

Search your email for the confirmation?

Also thats awesome.
:doh: In my defense, I wrote that while I was still groggy from waking up. All worked out in the end, though.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 19, 2013

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I'd preorder EU4 in honor of all this, but I already did that weeks ago. However, is there any way to check if I got the regular or Digital Extreme edition? I figure Paradox deserves at least another 5 bucks for all the work they put into this, also I'm a total DLC whore.

Search your email for the confirmation?

Also thats awesome.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The 国家今日 should probably be be the 国家新聞. Most major Japanese newspapers have shimbun (新聞), newspaper, in the title. For Chinese newspapers you should use 日报, which means daily.

EDIT:

Also, great work so far. The art setup is shaping up nicely.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 19, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Friend Commuter posted:

Some guy I can't remember the name of

I'm hurt. :(

But yeah, someone had said that Paris assimilating into Swedish culture is impossible. I wrote that piece as a fake textbook entry of how it could happen: basically, most of Paris burns down, the Paris population are resettled in outlying areas, and the new core of the city attracts rich people and nobles from back home in Sweden as a way for the King to keep an eye on them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Patter Song posted:

I'm hurt. :(

But yeah, someone had said that Paris assimilating into Swedish culture is impossible. I wrote that piece as a fake textbook entry of how it could happen: basically, most of Paris burns down, the Paris population are resettled in outlying areas, and the new core of the city attracts rich people and nobles from back home in Sweden as a way for the King to keep an eye on them.
Still doesn't make sense, because the Swedish nobility would probably be more French than Swedish. Put them in Paris, and they would be 100% French within the year. :france:

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
That is the most ridiculously hilarious piece of Goons/:Paradox: I've ever read, devs. Once I've recovered from the Steam sales, you've got a pre-order from me.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Still doesn't make sense, because the Swedish nobility would probably be more French than Swedish. Put them in Paris, and they would be 100% French within the year. :france:
Kind of like the Manchus in China? For comparison's sake, Paris' population at around 1500 was estimated ~500,000. Beijing's population was estimated at ~1,000,000 proper, ~3,000,000 metro.

It's definitely more feasible to burn Paris to the ground and resettle it than to do the same to Beijing, and it nonetheless took the Manchus several generations to assimilate!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dibujante posted:

Kind of like the Manchus in China? For comparison's sake, Paris' population at around 1500 was estimated ~500,000. Beijing's population was estimated at ~1,000,000 proper, ~3,000,000 metro.

It's definitely more feasible to burn Paris to the ground and resettle it than to do the same to Beijing, and it nonetheless took the Manchus several generations to assimilate!

:allears: Please, go on about misunderstanding actual Chinese history.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
You're all forgetting that Swedish is the One True Culture and would strongly resist any assimilation.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Beamed posted:

:allears: Please, go on about misunderstanding actual Chinese history.
No way, man. I totally took a 200-level course in Chinese history and that makes me an expert on all facets of the topic :smug:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I don't think "Falange" is appropriate as it is, firstly, a very Spanish phenomenon

If these ever get changed, please keep "Falanga" Polish Fascist Newspaper intact, as it fits there. I mean, few things scream "fascist" like thePhalanx symbol Polish radical nationalists use.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

ExtraNoise, did you decide what you are going to do regarding the population? Are you going ahead with the massive pandemic idea or just abstracting the population?

Can you use A House Divided's multiple start dates to do both options? It might be cool.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
Just take my money and hurry up paradoxian, I can't wait any longer :smith:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Damnit Paradox, stop trying to make me break my "no preorders, ever" rule. :negative:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dibujante posted:

No way, man. I totally took a 200-level course in Chinese history and that makes me an expert on all facets of the topic :smug:

Actually, my post was kind of douchey and I apologize :shobon:, but comparing Beijing to Paris, and the Manchus to Sweden, is only going to yield inaccurate information, and misunderstanding a ton of what was going on in China during the Ming-Qing transition.

I could actually go into detail if you'd like, but I don't want to start a derail.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

ExtraNoise, did you decide what you are going to do regarding the population? Are you going ahead with the massive pandemic idea or just abstracting the population?

Can you use A House Divided's multiple start dates to do both options? It might be cool.

Unfortunately it's not my mod to dictate that kind of thing. It would be a lot of fun to take it when it's done and make an alternate mod based on it with this idea in mind.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Beamed posted:

I could actually go into detail if you'd like, but I don't want to start a derail.
I actually wouldn't mind, because while I do think I have some ideas of why it's not a great parallel, I doubt I really have a great grasp of it. I don't really see it turning into a major derail either, and it might spark some ideas for modding in China.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I actually wouldn't mind, because while I do think I have some ideas of why it's not a great parallel, I doubt I really have a great grasp of it. I don't really see it turning into a major derail either, and it might spark some ideas for modding in China.

Yeah ditto for me. I have a pretty poor grasp of Chinese history so I have a feeling my guesses as to why the Sweden/Paris is so drastically unlike Manchus/Beijing is probably inaccurate.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Welp, New World nations look as boring as ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j1uy9NItGw

Hopefully they have some good ideas to improve those nations in a New World mini-expansion.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Latest EU4 DD with some info on decisions, missions, achievements and ironman mode:

Johan posted:

Missions are no longer randomly assigned. You now have three missions to choose from, often with one connected to each monarch power.
We have also added a target list of provinces to missions, so when choosing a historical conquer mission we can dynamically tag which province should be part of the mission instead of having to rely on pre-scripted victory conditions.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

It should also be "Die Reichspost", not "Der Reichspost". Unless Austrian German runs on different rules.

Riso posted:

The commie paper should also be Österreichische Volksstimme. In any case, there's an S missing in the latter word.

yeah these are also both correct corrections

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

pdxjohan posted:

I'd been holding out on preordering.

That is no longer the case.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Am I crazy or does the political map colour change with the seasons?

Compare England here:
http://youtu.be/ZlcscBCW4DQ?t=19m19s

and here:
http://youtu.be/ZlcscBCW4DQ?t=29m28s

Was that in CK2?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
In EU3 at least, the winter would bring snow.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Shima Honnou posted:

In EU3 at least, the winter would bring snow.

Only on terrain mapmode, we're talking political here.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

fuf posted:

Compare England here:

and here:

Was that in CK2?

If it does its nowhere near as noticeable as it is in EU4.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

fuf posted:

Compare England here:

and here:

Was that in CK2?
You're not crazy, it does change.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

fuf posted:

Compare England here:

and here:

Was that in CK2?

Paradox still really needs to lessen that 'doughy' effect still. More transparency might work.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ThePutty posted:

Paradox still really needs to lessen that 'doughy' effect still. More transparency might work.
They just need to make the political map look like Strannik's HandDrawn Map, simple as that.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Vodos posted:

Welp, New World nations look as boring as ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j1uy9NItGw

Hopefully they have some good ideas to improve those nations in a New World mini-expansion.

Well, the Aztecs seem to actually have the massive income due to their gold mines, which I don't recall being the case in EUIII (or at least not so massive you could just ignore your force limit). Also, there are forts in the Native American provinces so a 1000 man army won't blitz your country faster than a 10,000 army.

That said yeah the decisions list and the gameplay don't really suggest a whole lot has changed in the New World. Here's hoping for a NNM mod that adds in a lot of New World nations and gives them some unique decisions :(.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's kind of disappointing, because if you look at a lot of the anthropological and archaeological work that's being done right now, you'd find that the New World was in just as advanced a socio/political/economic state as Eurasia was, and was just as heavily colonized and inhabited. In the game, though, it's still just a vast expanse of thinly-populated nothingness.

I really recommend reading 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus.

v- Yeah, that's true. edited! -v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 20, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

It's kind of disappointing, because if you look at a lot of the anthropological and archaeological work that's being done right now, you'd find that the New World was in just as advanced a state as Eurasia was, and was just as heavily colonized and inhabited. In the game, though, it's still just a vast expanse of thinly-populated nothingness.
While I agree with the sentiment of this post, it's somewhat misleading to claim it was just advanced as Eurasia, especially without explaining what you mean by advanced. Politically? That is unquestionable. Economically? Probably, yes - enormous intertwined urbanization, trade routes, etc. existed, but there was little trading by sea - Mesoamerica and South America were almost entirely separated, with little to no contact, whereas all of Eurasia was interconnected. Technologically? Not even close - unfortunately, the New World lacked things including the wheel, a lot of machinery, and of course, sailing vessels.

I won't get too long into the why's of these, but suffice to say I fully agree a fleshed out New World would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DrSunshine posted:

It's kind of disappointing, because if you look at a lot of the anthropological and archaeological work that's being done right now, you'd find that the New World was in just as advanced a state as Eurasia was, and was just as heavily colonized and inhabited. In the game, though, it's still just a vast expanse of thinly-populated nothingness.

I really recommend reading 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus.

I read 1491, and it's a really great book, but it may leave you feeling a little sad...

• Locked thread