Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Alternate personalities seem to always be power trips. Maybe living in the 70's and having a stable white collar job feels powerful enough for Andy? That makes it seem sadder than Denise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Having a stable white collar job is honestly an impossible pipe dream for most 2010s Americans. :sigh:

Rand Fan 420
Aug 3, 2005

Spoilers Below posted:

:pseudo: Popular opinions held by the non-period appropriate layman who believes himself to be an expert vs. real data acquired by experts and academics? Sounds like a perfect reason to interview him to me. Definitely worth an interesting lead-in paragraph, if nothing else.

:pseudo: Imagined communities for social outcasts, the internet provides an alternate place for people to enact community (and so do animes etc.) but Meyers, like steampunk people, is enacting different time periods. The manufactured pop-level nostalgia for the 1970s suggests a deeper social reaction to the atomization of the post-industrial (post-reagan) world. Something about multiple systems and hetalia. There's a drat book

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

John Liver posted:

Apart from the time travel, Meyers seems to lead the most boring fantasy life I've ever heard.

Walter Meh-ty :effort:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

A friend has a new housemate who is a massive loving nerd who just sits all day and watches kids tv, and looks exactly like Dermott from Venture Brothers. :allears: Gonna bug him for stories as soon as the dude is settled.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm starting to worry that I haven't encountered as many of these people as everyone else seems to have because I don't leave the house often enough.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

I'm starting to worry that I haven't encountered as many of these people as everyone else seems to have because I don't leave the house often enough.

I met my crazy online. Staying home is no defence :tinfoil:

Hex Vision
Jun 6, 2010

Game over, boys.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Awww. Maybe your mother should force your sibling to take you everywhere with them? I mean, if it works for Andy/Meyers... :shepface:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I'm just interested that he isn't pretending to be a famous dead 70's person.

The most haunting thing I learned from this thread and its spin-offs is that some folks' fantasy lives are really kind of sad. We've seen a guy who claimed to be headmates with a demon -- and that demon acted exactly like a sullen sarcastic teenager even though he was supposedly a powerful supernatural being thousands of years old. We met a supposed human reincarnation of an alien dragon -- and that dragon was no larger than a housecat and his planet's equivalent of a small bird of prey that died crashing into a wind turbine or something. If you're not willing to go for broke with your alternate identity, you might as well settle for a businessman from 1972.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Rahonavis posted:

The most haunting thing I learned from this thread and its spin-offs is that some folks' fantasy lives are really kind of sad. We've seen a guy who claimed to be headmates with a demon -- and that demon acted exactly like a sullen sarcastic teenager even though he was supposedly a powerful supernatural being thousands of years old. We met a supposed human reincarnation of an alien dragon -- and that dragon was no larger than a housecat and his planet's equivalent of a small bird of prey that died crashing into a wind turbine or something. If you're not willing to go for broke with your alternate identity, you might as well settle for a businessman from 1972.

To be fair, I think the Lucey Goosey person was literally schizoid. human being.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

E. for the record, I was referring to how Lucey Goosey used to call everyone a human being, not calling Rahonavis a human being. Some people who missed that oh so special thread seemed confused. :(

Corridor fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 18, 2013

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
If I go like insane for the 1980's I hope I think I'm the lead singer of Twisted Sister as portrayed in their videos. And I would go around glaring at people trying to turn them into my bandmates like in We're Not Gonna Take It.

A Gentle Rain
Jun 11, 2013
This thread got me to join and share my own small story. It's not as crazy as some of them but still shares some of the same characteristics (fantasy to try to combat and control reality).

I was about seven, very shy and anxious, and had two friends whom I'd known since I was a baby. One of them, Amy, outgoing and popular but also had a rough home life. While her parents weren't abusive or anything, they were struggling to get by and lived in a one-story tract house that was always messy. It was a stressful situation and I think that she was trying to control her life, so she chose to try to control me to a certain extent.

One day she told me that she was a werewolf and that I was a vampire. My memories are a little sketchy on this, since it's been a long time, but she told me about how she could turn into a werewolf during the full moon and escaped out her window to run around and have adventures. I believed this for some reason, which I attribute to my child self being dreamy and gullible. I think it took a few weeks for her to convince me that I was a vampire, but she managed to do so by telling me such compelling facts as:
-I had longer canine teeth than her or anyone we knew (not true, but I believed it)
-I I liked to stay up late reading
-I was interested in blood (I think this was because one time I got a cut and was interested in what was happening, so this got blown up into "Oh, you want to drink blood.")

The depressing part is that I wanted so much for this to be true that I really did believe it for a while. She told me stories of how her werewolf friends would come to her window and she would go outside and run through the woods with them. She told me that soon my vampire friends would come and find me as well. I think that she wanted to step up the fantasy more, but because I've never been good at lying and thought that we were telling the truth to each other, my vampire friends never showed up and I could never live up to her amazing stories of changing into a wolf. This had the side effect of making me miserable, since these vampires weren't appearing and they thus didn't like me. We'd whisper to each other about the incredible adventures she was having and I would tell her how lucky she was (I think that this also served the purpose of making her feel way better about herself).

In the end, her stories trailed off when I wasn't offering any more details to flesh out the shared fantasy and we stopped talking about it. It was a weird experience that messed with me for a bit as a kid, since I truly believed that she was telling the truth. I don't think that she believed in what she was saying, but she was very convincing (at least to my seven year old self).

She ended up convincing her mom to pull her out of the gifted and talented program because she wanted to be a model. By middle school, we'd drifted apart and I haven't seen her in years.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

That's kind of depressing, but still cute. Kids have imaginary adventures all the time.

Now, if Amy had grown into a teenager or young adult and still tried to be a werewolf, then you should be worried.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

John Liver posted:

That's kind of depressing, but still cute. Kids have imaginary adventures all the time.

Now, if Amy had grown into a teenager or young adult and still tried to be a werewolf, then you should be worried.

Unless it's a larp or cosplay or some other event that requires wearwolfiness. Other than that, panic!

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Unless it's a larp or cosplay or some other event that requires wearwolfiness. Other than that, panic!

Every few years, the supernatural fad changes. Right now, we're just at the tail end of zombies. Prior to that was demons and angels... Then before that, it was vampires...

I wonder what the next creature is going to be...

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

teh winnar! posted:

Every few years, the supernatural fad changes. Right now, we're just at the tail end of zombies. Prior to that was demons and angels... Then before that, it was vampires...

I wonder what the next creature is going to be...

Black Lagoon-esque frogmen.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Sexy witches.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

WebDog posted:

Sexy witches.

Wasn't that the 90's? Or failing that during Bewitched's run?

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Wasn't that the 90's? Or failing that during Bewitched's run?

My friend linked me the trailer to some big new teen movie which seems to be Twilight except with witches - also had it as a YouTube ad a bunch of times. Sexy witches could be making a comeback.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Punting posted:

Black Lagoon-esque frogmen.
I think that any monster from Universal Studios is ripe for the ripping off and selling a sexualized version of to gullible teenagers. I should start an epic Invisible Man/Frankenstein's Monster romance novel series, who could say no to that?

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Mermaids. Although you could say they're sexualization incarnate.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I want to see teenage fantasy literature all about trying to romance goblins.

Okay I don't want to see it, but I'd probably read it for hilarity value.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is the Invisible Man sexy yet?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Question Mark Mound posted:

Eh, I think it'll be a while. He's smart and ambitious, but not much to look at.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Yond Cassius posted:

Eh, I think it'll be a while. He's smart and ambitious, but not much to look at.

Are you kidding? He's a dancing machine! Have you seen his routine? ...oh.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Mary Sue was a blind girl who had never found love. Ravenwing Nightblack was a shadow, invisible to the world. Only she could see the true beauty within. "Love Is Blind", coming soon to a theatre near you.

Hex Vision
Jun 6, 2010

Game over, boys.

Goodreads.com posted:

"How would you like to become invisible so you can do with women whatever you like? Especially in public! Imagine a gorgeous Manara girl writhing in ecstasy because of the dirty tricks you're performing on her... in a high class restaurant! And that's only the beginning."

"Butterscotch" by Milo Manara was first published in 1986, so he's at least been sexy in the 80's.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Have we made Mary Sue romance movies about Marvel mutants yet?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Wrong thread somehow...not sure how that's possible on a phone. Carry on.

Mad Mage Era
Nov 25, 2009

MinistryofLard posted:

Valiant by Holly Black has a romance with a troll. Close enough?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
There's a new Godzilla coming out.

Maybe it will be sexy godzillas.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MinistryofLard posted:

Okay I don't want to see it, but I'd probably read it for hilarity value.

Well, if Labyrinth counts... :v:

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro

:colbert:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Pfft, he's just an actor. I mean the REAL invisible man. We're astral lovers.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Corridor posted:

At the art school I'm attending, there was this one kid, 17 years old, who wore a full suit and waistcoat and tie. With greased hair. And he carried his stuff around in a briefcase. There's another kid in the class who went to the same high school as him, and she told me that he wore suits every single day at school. The funny part is that everyone else in my class is 30+ years, and nobody is impressed by his mature suaveness... just slightly confused. I can only assume this was the reason that after several months, he suddenly switched over to wearing regular clothes, like t-shirt and jeans. He looks a million times cooler and more approachable now.

In some cases it really is just a fad, if the kid is otherwise not too weird and keeps up on personal hygiene then chances are good that they'll grow out of it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

After reading about Denise, I wondered who I know that was like this. It took me a while, but I can say that this was my mom. She would have conversations with "the people in her head" or Jesus. In fact, one of the reasons why I doubted God as a kid was that I couldn't speak to an angel whenever I wanted like my mom could.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Ascetic Crow posted:

After reading about Denise, I wondered who I know that was like this. It took me a while, but I can say that this was my mom. She would have conversations with "the people in her head" or Jesus. In fact, one of the reasons why I doubted God as a kid was that I couldn't speak to an angel whenever I wanted like my mom could.

Well take it as a good sign that God or the Angels didn't tell her to kill anyone. If it helps her get through the day and is harmless, great! It's when it starts to impact and worsen the lives of those around you that you have to start worrying.

Also there are worse ways to lose your faith, religious friend of mine (who we'll call Zeke) got into an argument with another friend who studied philosophy for five years. Zeke walked away from that argument with his faith shattered because he couldn't answer the questions my philosophical friend posed, and any points that Zeke brought up in his favour were countered by more philosophy. Zeke didn't take it well, and still bears a grudge against philosophy friend for taking his faith away.

Fake Edit: Reading back over this I'm not so sure it's really on topic with your post. But hell, I haven't got many stories to do with faith so it'll have to do.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
I hope that we go back to vampires being in. Not because I have any particular interest in them, but because people who are really into vampires are ALWAYS hilarious.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Fascinator posted:

I hope that we go back to vampires being in. Not because I have any particular interest in them, but because people who are really into vampires are ALWAYS hilarious.

Maybe the next in-thing will be businessmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Vampire business men. Door to door salesmen are scary

• Locked thread