Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Edit: ^^ My son slept through the night from 2 months and I didn't think much of it and didn't have a problem with feeding so I think it must vary a fair bit.

The pediatrician said my daughter was in the 25th percentile for weight which I guess is quite low, but didn't say whether that was a problem or not. My daughter seems quite long and skinny, she doesn't really have the plump "bouncing baby" look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

DwemerCog posted:

The pediatrician said my daughter was in the 25th percentile for weight which I guess is quite low, but didn't say whether that was a problem or not. My daughter seems quite long and skinny, she doesn't really have the plump "bouncing baby" look.

What was she when she was born? I think that it's more that they are progressing along the percentile (or going up) that the doctors look for. Connor is small and has been on the 9th percentile since he was born but that's just how he's made, whereas my niece was dropped from one of the top percentiles to the 9th.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
I think the key is whether or not your baby is following an appropriate growth rate for his or herself. My son is long and skinny too but the GP and Public Health Nurse are happy enough since he's following a steady growth rate (about an ounce a day). The only one who had a problem with it was the doctor who gave him his first vaccine at 7 weeks who thought he was too small. Of course he didn't know his birth weight or weight gain history or anything else about him.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

VorpalBunny posted:

I was pretty bummed to start adding formula, like I failed as a mom. But, she's happy and healthy as ever, and I can actually now leave her with grandparents and babysitters without a time constraint for nursing. I still nurse her in the mornings, evenings, and as much as I can during the day. But, in all honesty, adding formula to the mix has really made my juggling her and her toddler brother a lot more manageable. I can feed her with a bottle while she's in the stroller or carseat while entertaining my toddler. I can drop the bottle if her brother is acting up or something. It's been a tough pill to swallow, letting go of my mommy ideal of nursing for 12 months, but it has honestly worked out for the best. We've found some good deals on formula, and my pediatrician gave us a ton to start with, so it hasn't cost us much either.

It will likely be a hard thing for her to accept, but hopefully she finds a great formula her kid will respond well to and she comes to accept the many benefits of formula feeding.

This is pretty much how I felt with Liam. After doing so much pumping and bottle feeding and formula switching (reflux!) with Tim (who also would have happily starved himself), Liam just latched right on and nursed away. It was great. But he was hungry. A LOT. A full feed every 2-3 hours--fine for a newborn, but he kept that up, month after month. I was pumping during naptime to up my supply, and then feeding him an hour later anyway. He gained like a little fat champ, but I felt like literally all I was doing was nursing or pumping. That might have been okay if I just had Liam--but I also have Tim. Once I started just giving a bottle for a feed once or twice a day, or at night, everything got easier, for exactly the reasons you said. I supplemented about a large can a month's worth--which isn't too bad, I don't think. I didn't even have to buy any until he was about 5 months old because of sample cans and whatnot. I used the Target generic formula since there was no feeding problems with Liam (so much cheaper!!). I felt badly about it at first, and even felt compelled to fib to Dad about cracking open the formula (I know, how irrationally stupid.) But I felt like I was admitting a failure--my husband just kind of laughed at me, in a kind sort of way. Full tummies are all that matter--irrespective of the kind of milk.

I honestly think that letting it go and giving a formula bottle here and there was the reason I nursed Liam for ~10 months instead of bailing sooner, due to him just being such a demanding feeder.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

DwemerCog posted:

Is this true? My exclusively breastfeed 2 month old has slept through the night from 3 weeks old. Unless she wakes and cries (happens about twice a week) I don't feed her from 10pm to 6 am. I hope I am not accidentally starving her. She'd be happy to be woken at 3am to be fed, but I do like my sleep.

The pediatrician didn't say she was too light at the checkup.

My son was this way, Ped wasn't concerned because he had no problems getting back to birth weight. They're pretty good at letting you know if they're hungry, so I wouldn't worry. He's now 5 months and half wakes up once or twice a night to sleep eat. 4 months regression is the worst thing ever, sleep wise.

In other news, we have two bottom teeth breaking through. Which means anything and everything is a chew toy. Sophie is the best thing now more than ever. Even put a leash type thing on her, so when he throws it, it doesn't go far or hit the floor. Just used a 'universal' pacifier clip for it.

Also - bath seats - are they worth it? Little dudes almost got this sitting thing down so I'm guessing he'd only need it for a few months. I like the idea of it, but we cobath, so I don't know if we'd need it or not. We rent and the tub has those sliding glass doors, so I doubt hell solo bath before 1.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I almost wish I was bottle feeding instead, because now I have so much supply Emily constantly overeats right before bed and I'm getting reeeeeeally tired of cleaning the puke off of the mattress.

I also try to pump during long naps but it never fails, she could be sleeping soundly but the second I get everything hooked up she starts waking up.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Lyz posted:

I also try to pump during long naps but it never fails, she could be sleeping soundly but the second I get everything hooked up she starts waking up.

Without fail, every time I get both kids down for a nap and I think I have a few moments to rest, one of the kids wakes up. On more than one occasion I have literally just rested my head on a pillow when I hear one of them start to stir. One time it was my husband, who decided to call and check in just as I had laid down on the couch, and his phone call woke the baby.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
Does anyone have any tips on traveling with a 4-5 month old? My daughter's not due to be here until October, but my husband's grandma turns 90 in March and is having a big party in Florida, 16 hours away. My husband is a huge planner and wants to get all the details figured out now. :) We plan on traveling by car because it's cheaper. It'll probably be easier for us to figure out once she's here and we know her temperament. Do babies that old still sleep pretty well and for long periods of time?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Does anyone have any tips on traveling with a 4-5 month old? My daughter's not due to be here until October, but my husband's grandma turns 90 in March and is having a big party in Florida, 16 hours away. My husband is a huge planner and wants to get all the details figured out now. :) We plan on traveling by car because it's cheaper. It'll probably be easier for us to figure out once she's here and we know her temperament. Do babies that old still sleep pretty well and for long periods of time?

It really depends on the kid. At that age they generally don't just fall asleep whenever. My son napped two longish naps a day at that age. My daughter is more of a catnapper, half an hour to an hour naps is her style.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Chicken Biscuits posted:

I've found after several 5 hour trips to visit the in-laws that any trip that takes more than 2-3 hours is going to be stressful because the baby will nap for maybe two hours and then wake up and be fussy and you'll have to stop frequently. Save yourself the headache and just fly.

If you're super determined to drive though, plan on starting your trip at around the baby's bedtime, and if they're a good car sleeper you'll get maybe 12 hours of minimal interruptions.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Additionally, if you plan on breastfeeding, you are going to have to stop frequently, and it will add a lot of time onto your travel. We did a few 6 hour trips with E before he was 6 months old and with the three-ish stops to feed/change diapers it became an 8.5 hour drive.

I second flying.

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
Okay, I appreciate your answers! I'll talk to my husband tonight and discuss trying to fly instead. :) If any of you HAVE flown with a baby, do you recommend getting its own seat and attaching the car seat to it, or just holding it the whole flight? I think we're allowed to do that, but my husband was concerned about safety.

Grammar Fascist
May 29, 2004
Y-O-U-R, Y-O-U-Apostrophe-R-E... They're as different as night and day. Don't you think that night and day are different? What's wrong with you?

Chicken Biscuits posted:

We moved from California to Montana when our baby was four months old. With all the stops, we never drove more than about 600 miles in a day. Our baby slept a fair amount, but one of us had to sit in the back with him to entertain him for a lot of the time he was awake. I don't really have any tips, but be sure you're counting hotels (for 16 hours of actual driving, I'd take 3 days, 2 nights each way), time, and other costs when comparing to the cost of flying.

Edit: we've never (so far) purchased a separate seat on an airplane for him. My husband and I always book ourselves in a window and aisle seat... If there are any open seats, the gate agent will usually agree to keep that middle seat open, and we've often been able to bring his infant seat on board and use it anyway. And if the whole flight is full, the middle seat person will certainly trade with one of you.

Grammar Fascist fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 19, 2013

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Okay, I appreciate your answers! I'll talk to my husband tonight and discuss trying to fly instead. :) If any of you HAVE flown with a baby, do you recommend getting its own seat and attaching the car seat to it, or just holding it the whole flight? I think we're allowed to do that, but my husband was concerned about safety.

Definitely hold the baby, why pay for a seat when you don't have to? The only time the baby would be in danger unsecured is basically when the rest of you are screwed.

Expect to do a lot of walking up and down the aisle, though. On the plus side as long as the attendants aren't pushing the snack and drink carts up and down the aisle they don't seem to care if you stand around the bathrooms.

(At least that's been my experience with JetBlue, others may differ.)

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Chicken Biscuits posted:

I flew with a 3 month old. I just held him. It's not the safest but if you're tight on cash, it's perfectly fine. You can even gate check your stroller (I used a snap n go stroller so I gate checked both the car seat and stroller). If you fly SouthWest and the flight isn't full, you're allowed to bring the car seat on without buying a seat. The person who scans your ticket will tell you if you can or can't. I lucked out and got a not sold out flight from Vegas to Tulsa and had a whole isle for just myself and my son. He was hungry so I breast fed him in the middle seat (his car seat by the window), eventually the flight attendant stood in the empty seat space beside me so no one could sit down. Just be warned though - you can't sit more than 4 people in a row of seats so you and your significant other cant sit with another parent with a child in their lap. I had a 3 hour layer over. I suggest a good bit of a layover (like 1 - 2 hour) because you need time to pee/eat, as well as change the kid and feed them. Plus the chance of a delay, etc. (that's why mine was 3 hours. My flight got delayed). I look at it as - I'd rather be sitting doing nothing with time to kill than running around like a mad person trying to get done.

I had an ergo and it was a life saver, however I WAS flying alone with my kid so it made my life easier. You don't need a carrier if you're not flying solo.

You will need the birth certificate ( a copy will work) to prove the kids under 2. If you're gate checking a stroller or car seat, you need to go to the little help desk by where you fly out to get transfer and gate check tags as well as the scan tags. If you are doing carry ons you're allowed 3 bags (a personal item, the overhead and a diaper bag), you Can bring more than 3.5 oz of breast milk on the plane (they'll test it). You'll go through the metal detector if you're wearing or holding your kid. If you're wearing them, they'll pull you aside and wipe your hands to test them. I'm not sure if they do that just for holding. The car seat and stroller have to go through the X-ray machine.

Overall it's not a bad experience. Just try not to stress too much about it.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Don't laugh, but I live in Ireland and this is new to me.

For some reason, we're actually having summer right now. It's currently 27 degrees (Celsius) in Rorys room, and that's too damned hot for him to fall asleep. I've moved him downstairs into the travel cot in the sitting room because it's significantly cooler down here, and stripped him down to his nappy (he was getting a prickly heat rash on his belly from a onesie). I have a fan going on the floor, and the window open a bit.. He calmed down immediately after being brought down here and is now sleeping soundly in the travel cot.

I guess I'm freaking out a little bit because it's never this hot and I'm just not sure what to do with him. It's supposed cool down to 16 overnight.. at what point do I put clothes back on him or will he just whinge when he gets cold? Stupid extreme weather :(

Gilbert
May 4, 2009

Dandy Shrew posted:

For some reason, we're actually having summer right now. It's currently 27 degrees (Celsius) in Rorys room, and that's too damned hot for him to fall asleep. I've moved him downstairs into the travel cot in the sitting room because it's significantly cooler down here, and stripped him down to his nappy (he was getting a prickly heat rash on his belly from a onesie). I have a fan going on the floor, and the window open a bit.. He calmed down immediately after being brought down here and is now sleeping soundly in the travel cot.

I guess I'm freaking out a little bit because it's never this hot and I'm just not sure what to do with him. It's supposed cool down to 16 overnight.. at what point do I put clothes back on him or will he just whinge when he gets cold? Stupid extreme weather :(

We're in Leeds (UK) and having the same problems with our son. How old is your son? Cillian is 3 so is able to pull his blanket over him during the night if it's needed so we're not too worried about him getting too cold. He's been sleeping in a pair of boxers this past week. We just go in and check a lot in the evening and before we head to bed at night.
If Rory is old enough, I'd suggest having cold water nearby so he can drink during the night.

I'm Scottish and my partner is Irish so we're dealing with the heat pretty badly as a family. I feel quite guilty avoiding the park, but I just can't handle it!
Cillian almost started crying when I suggested we ate lunch in the garden today. Poor fella!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Chicken Biscuits posted:

All three trips I've taken with my son (who's now almost eighteen months old, wow) he's had his own seat. It was more expensive, yes, but I felt much better about it - especially since most airplane accidents are survivable (that is, most people who walked onto the plane could walk off it) and unsecured infants are in danger from not just crashes but also severe turbulence. Also, it meant I had my hands and lap free, which was especially helpful for the one trip where I was by myself. (I know you'll have your husband there, but I really think it'd be a lot more pleasant to be able to set your kid down for a little bit.)

I definitely recommend getting your baby his or her own seat. I can't recommend it strongly enough. Various safety organizations have been trying to get the FAA to forbid lap children for years; at least one reason given for not doing so is that if everyone flying must have his or her own seat, some families will drive who would otherwise fly, and statistically flying is safer than driving, even for unsecured infants, who are the least safe people on the aircraft. (I'm fairly sure that isn't the official reason, but it's part of the reasoning process.)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Dandy Shrew posted:

Haha, Norwegian having the same problem here. My daughter is five months old, and we're having similar weather. When my son was this age, it was February and freezing cold, so I feel a little inexperienced with having a baby in the summer.

For sleeping I've been putting her in a thin shirt and a thin sleeping bag / sleepsack (one of those that snaps over the shoulders so the arms are uncovered). I point the fan at her, which she seems to like. When it cools down at night, I shift the fan so it's not pointing directly at her.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Gilbert posted:

We're in Leeds (UK) and having the same problems with our son. How old is your son? Cillian is 3 so is able to pull his blanket over him during the night if it's needed so we're not too worried about him getting too cold. He's been sleeping in a pair of boxers this past week. We just go in and check a lot in the evening and before we head to bed at night.
If Rory is old enough, I'd suggest having cold water nearby so he can drink during the night.

I'm Scottish and my partner is Irish so we're dealing with the heat pretty badly as a family. I feel quite guilty avoiding the park, but I just can't handle it!
Cillian almost started crying when I suggested we ate lunch in the garden today. Poor fella!

He's just 3 months + 2 weeks now, the poor thing. He was born April 1st, and is completely unaccustomed to the heat. I have to keep him in the sitting room during the day because for some reason its temperature is unchanging, whereas the kitchen/dining room and entire upstairs get hot. as. balls. I guess we're sleeping in here until this heatwave is over.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

zonohedron posted:

All three trips I've taken with my son (who's now almost eighteen months old, wow) he's had his own seat. It was more expensive, yes, but I felt much better about it - especially since most airplane accidents are survivable (that is, most people who walked onto the plane could walk off it) and unsecured infants are in danger from not just crashes but also severe turbulence. Also, it meant I had my hands and lap free, which was especially helpful for the one trip where I was by myself. (I know you'll have your husband there, but I really think it'd be a lot more pleasant to be able to set your kid down for a little bit.)

I definitely recommend getting your baby his or her own seat. I can't recommend it strongly enough. Various safety organizations have been trying to get the FAA to forbid lap children for years; at least one reason given for not doing so is that if everyone flying must have his or her own seat, some families will drive who would otherwise fly, and statistically flying is safer than driving, even for unsecured infants, who are the least safe people on the aircraft. (I'm fairly sure that isn't the official reason, but it's part of the reasoning process.)

All of this. It is absolutely not safe to assume that the only danger in flying is from a fatal crash. If you can afford it, put your child in a seat and strap them in. Unexpected violent turbulence exists, and what might merely be dangerous to you could be fatal to your infant.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

zonohedron posted:

Seconding this. My son is 5 months old and we've taken two trips by air with him. At two months having him as a lap infant was easy, he just slept the whole way. At 4 months it was far more difficult and he was far less happy. From here on out when we fly he'll have his own seat - after seeing what happened in SF recently, it's been driven home how much safer he will be in his own seat.

We did not need a birth certificate or anything for him flying on United, he just got his own boarding pass as a lap infant. Gate checking the stroller was super easy and using the Ergo made the whole experience far easier. We've also taken 2 3-hour car trips with him and I do not recommend it.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Gilbert posted:

Um, Sup Leeds goon buddy! ??

For Alex (13 months) we are honestly surprised how well he sleeps in this heat, going by his room thermometer it was 30C is the nursery last night with doors/windows open. We got 10 hours sleep out of him. The kid's a (nice!) freak.

Mind if I ask which end of Leeds you are at? We are in the Headingley area for reference.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Schweig und tanze posted:

Seconding this. My son is 5 months old and we've taken two trips by air with him. At two months having him as a lap infant was easy, he just slept the whole way. At 4 months it was far more difficult and he was far less happy. From here on out when we fly he'll have his own seat - after seeing what happened in SF recently, it's been driven home how much safer he will be in his own seat.

We did not need a birth certificate or anything for him flying on United, he just got his own boarding pass as a lap infant. Gate checking the stroller was super easy and using the Ergo made the whole experience far easier. We've also taken 2 3-hour car trips with him and I do not recommend it.
We always flown with my son as a lap infant, he is now 21 months. Yeah he can be a handful, but having an iPad makes it a lot easier.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Even if you buy a seat, you can't assume you will be allowed to strap a car seat there. They are very picky about the size of seat and sometimes they just seem to decide these things arbitrarily at the gate and not according to what you might find on a website. The last time we flew with a car seat they would only let us strap it by the aisle seat even though we had all three seats, and that didn't make sense to me at all. I've heard of people being told they have to check the seat, although that hasn't happened to us.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

Additionally, if you plan on breastfeeding, you are going to have to stop frequently, and it will add a lot of time onto your travel. We did a few 6 hour trips with E before he was 6 months old and with the three-ish stops to feed/change diapers it became an 8.5 hour drive.

I second flying.

We've done several 9-hour drives and just did 2 6-hour flights at 8 months. The drives were MUCH more pleasant. Being able to stop at a rest stop, have a snack, let him do some tummy time on a blanket, and breastfeed just makes everything a lot less stressful, even if it takes longer. We did have to have someone sit in the back with him and had to listen to his Music Together CD non-stop for at least 2/3rds of the drives. But on the plane, he's crammed into 2'x4' of space and there is nowhere to put him down, and every toy or distraction seemed to interest him for 20 seconds at which point he'd start fussing again. It was just exhausting.

The plane ride back was actually way better because he had a fever and just slept in my arms the entire time (and then puked all over my wife on the train ride home). But with a healthy, active baby, the flight there felt like the longest flight of my life.

e:
Separate topic, I know this has come up but what's the teething remedy rundown? He's cut 2 now and has one on top that is about to come through, but the last two nights have been up-every-hour-nursing nights. We're at the point where we're supposed to take a week off from tylenol, and teething rings only interest him for so long. I'm thinking about getting one of those baltic amber necklaces but anything else I should go for?

Papercut fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 20, 2013

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

hepscat posted:

Even if you buy a seat, you can't assume you will be allowed to strap a car seat there. They are very picky about the size of seat and sometimes they just seem to decide these things arbitrarily at the gate and not according to what you might find on a website. The last time we flew with a car seat they would only let us strap it by the aisle seat even though we had all three seats, and that didn't make sense to me at all. I've heard of people being told they have to check the seat, although that hasn't happened to us.

That is all kinds of messed up, as long as the seat is FAA approved they cannot make you check the seat and they have to accommodate you:

http://carseatblog.com/8037/guest-blog-flying-with-a-car-seat-know-your-rights/

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

hepscat posted:

The worst I've gotten - in ten flights total, four of which were with a convertible car seat rather than an infant car seat - is a gate agent smugly informing me that, no, families with small children and gigantic car seats do not get to board early. Of the ten flights, only one had a flight attendant even ask if the car seat was FAA approved. I didn't even have a problem getting a belt extender for the four flights with the convertible seat.

Like Schweig und tanze said, gate agents, flight attendants, and whoever else absolutely cannot forbid a ticketed passenger who happens to be a small child from sitting in a FAA-approved child restraint system. (If the child in question isn't a ticketed passenger - i.e. is a lap child - all bets are off.) They can require you to put the car seat in the window seat, or to sit in a row that isn't immediately before or behind an exit, but that's all.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
They can't just arbitrarily tell you you can't use your FAA certified car seat if you've bought a ticket for the child, but then again the airlines can make the rows so small that your FAA certified carseat CANNOT BE INSTALLED, in which case you can basically just get told "gently caress you, not our problem". This happened to me on a cross country flight. The carseat *would not fit* in the seat because the seats in the row in front of us we so close. On the way to the east coast, the flight attendant was very accommodating and moved us to an unoccupied first class row for free (score!). On the way home, the ticketing agent just told me it was my own damned fault and that I'd have to pay for an upgrade to first class even though when I booked the flight, I had called the airline with the name and model number of our carseat and was told "If it has an FAA sticker on it, it's fine". Our other option was to check the carseat that wouldn't fit and have him fly as a lapchild and no, I was not going to get my money back for the ticket because, again...my fault. Eventually a baggage handler noticed me in tears attempting to explain that my child is disabled and has a problem with muscle tone and NEEDS to be in a car seat. He came over, showed me pictures of his newborn daughter and gave me an airline loaner for our flight with instructions to leave it at baggage claim with a note to return it to the airport of origin. I got the distinct impression that this guy was going *WAY* above and beyond what he was supposed to do - the carseats the airline has for loaners are intended to be given to people who have had their checked carseats damaged in transit, so they can get home from the airport.

(Note: the carseat that wouldn't fit was an infant bucket seat. I've never had a problem with our convertible)

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
My wife and I have flown quite a lot with the kid, since my wife has a large family, and also to see my mother who's been in poor health. Anyway, we've done the lap child thing a number of times to save money, and also done getting his own seat. With the lap child option, you do sometimes get lucky and get a free seat, which is great. It will always be better for him to have his own seat. At younger ages, having him be a lap child wasn't so bad, since he'd mostly want to hang out in your arms anyway. It did mean though that whomever he fell asleep on had to stay very still and quiet for a very long time though, possibly without entertainment.

After about 1 year though this changed and he became very active and really exhausting to travel with this way, and even though we don't have the money to spare really, my wife and I have vowed always get him his own ticket from now on. We do alright with entertaining him by passing him back and forth, but it's just hours of nothing but that.

With Southwest airlines at least, we have even managed to get a discounted rate for a seat the baby sometimes. We had to call in for that though, it wasn't available on the web.

Randomly, we didn't pay anything like the current $100 price on it, but we love this. It turns your kid into a rolling bag, and makes transporting the car seat a lot easier. I think this only works for older kid's car seats though.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Go-Babyz-QRKIDZ-Kidz-Travelmate/dp/B000JJK9EY/

We've also done a lot of 8 hours drives, and while those weren't always a lot of fun after 2 hours of napping, and 5 hours of trying to be entertaining in the back seat, they certainly haven't driven us to the point of taking vows for or against anything. I really can't imagine doing an 16 hour one though, at least not in one stretch.

Papercut posted:

Separate topic, I know this has come up but what's the teething remedy rundown? He's cut 2 now and has one on top that is about to come through, but the last two nights have been up-every-hour-nursing nights. We're at the point where we're supposed to take a week off from tylenol, and teething rings only interest him for so long. I'm thinking about getting one of those baltic amber necklaces but anything else I should go for?

What always worked well for us was cold celery, right from a piece of tupperware filled with water, in the fridge. It's cold, soft enough to chew on but hard enough to give some resistance, and actually food, which seemed to make it more interesting. He never really finished a piece, but it was interesting to watch them get more and more masticated as he got more teeth.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
The amber necklaces don't work, it's a load of pseudoscience. Amber is pretty though :3: they're a choking hazard so don't put them on your babby. I feel your pain, my five month old just cut a tooth and is working on another. I wet a washcloth and put it in the freezer sometimes, she likes to gnaw on that. Also breast milk ice cubes in a mesh feeder.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

Fionnoula posted:

They can't just arbitrarily tell you you can't use your FAA certified car seat if you've bought a ticket for the child, but then again the airlines can make the rows so small that your FAA certified carseat CANNOT BE INSTALLED, in which case you can basically just get told "gently caress you, not our problem". This happened to me on a cross country flight. The carseat *would not fit* in the seat because the seats in the row in front of us we so close. On the way to the east coast, the flight attendant was very accommodating and moved us to an unoccupied first class row for free (score!). On the way home, the ticketing agent just told me it was my own damned fault and that I'd have to pay for an upgrade to first class even though when I booked the flight, I had called the airline with the name and model number of our carseat and was told "If it has an FAA sticker on it, it's fine". Our other option was to check the carseat that wouldn't fit and have him fly as a lapchild and no, I was not going to get my money back for the ticket because, again...my fault. Eventually a baggage handler noticed me in tears attempting to explain that my child is disabled and has a problem with muscle tone and NEEDS to be in a car seat. He came over, showed me pictures of his newborn daughter and gave me an airline loaner for our flight with instructions to leave it at baggage claim with a note to return it to the airport of origin. I got the distinct impression that this guy was going *WAY* above and beyond what he was supposed to do - the carseats the airline has for loaners are intended to be given to people who have had their checked carseats damaged in transit, so they can get home from the airport.

(Note: the carseat that wouldn't fit was an infant bucket seat. I've never had a problem with our convertible)

Related to this, the Cosco Scenera seems to be the most highly recommended convertible seat for airplane use, it's able to be installed forward- or rear-facing and is not so gigantic that lugging it through the airport is difficult. Consensus online also seems to be that Britax seats are very difficult to install and are liable to be too big to use on the plane.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Fionnoula posted:

When we flew with our son in a bucket seat, we went to seatguru.com and looked up the pitch of the planes used by the carriers we were considering. I'm not sure what carrier you had problems with, but we found both United and Frontier could accommodate our Britax Chaperone in regular economy, but we upgraded to economy plus so that the row in front of us could still recline.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

shadysight posted:

What always worked well for us was cold celery, right from a piece of tupperware filled with water, in the fridge. It's cold, soft enough to chew on but hard enough to give some resistance, and actually food, which seemed to make it more interesting. He never really finished a piece, but it was interesting to watch them get more and more masticated as he got more teeth.

Right after our little one finished going through a particularly bad bout of teething, we ran into someone in a store who suggested frozen peas to us. They're cold to help numb, but they're squishy enough to be chewed and such. I really don't know if it's the greatest idea due to their size, though.

Regarding amber necklaces: how the gently caress would that even work? They chew on the amber, because you know, it's a good idea for kids to chew on rocks?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

shadysight posted:

rectal cushion posted:

The amber necklaces don't work, it's a load of pseudoscience. Amber is pretty though :3: they're a choking hazard so don't put them on your babby. I feel your pain, my five month old just cut a tooth and is working on another. I wet a washcloth and put it in the freezer sometimes, she likes to gnaw on that. Also breast milk ice cubes in a mesh feeder.

Gah, we're already doing frozen carrot sticks, the mesh feeder, and refrigerated teething rings. Oh well, looks like we'll just have to tough it out.

My friend's parent is a dentist and he told us to put some creme de menthe on the gums, then cut the gum with our thumbnail to break the tooth free. :stonk:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Axiem posted:

Regarding amber necklaces: how the gently caress would that even work? They chew on the amber, because you know, it's a good idea for kids to chew on rocks?

They are supposed to be homeopathic. Amber is supposed help their teething pain just by wearing the necklace via magic or something. :rolleyes:

We used half frozen wet washcloths, and big carrots kept in a glass of water in the fridge for the kids to chew on.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
I think I cursed us in Ireland by wanting Aaron to get some use out of his short sleeve shirts. Ugh. At least I did get to buy some cute summer clothes that were ridiculously discounted. It's been a constant shuffle of moving him between rooms, opening and closing balcony doors and windows, changing his clothes, etc. I want the overcast cool weather back!

He's 3 1/2 months old and had started the teething process with lots of drooling and chewing. It does seem to bother him at times and lots of the teething toys are too big for him yet, but he does have one toy with thin loops that fit in his mouth that he just goes to town on. It also helps when I massage his gums with a clean finger or gum massager. Thankfully my husband had abandoned the idea of getting him not to chew on his hands now that he sees he needs to for his gums.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

An Cat Dubh posted:

I think I cursed us in Ireland by wanting Aaron to get some use out of his short sleeve shirts. Ugh. At least I did get to buy some cute summer clothes that were ridiculously discounted. It's been a constant shuffle of moving him between rooms, opening and closing balcony doors and windows, changing his clothes, etc. I want the overcast cool weather back!

He's 3 1/2 months old and had started the teething process with lots of drooling and chewing. It does seem to bother him at times and lots of the teething toys are too big for him yet, but he does have one toy with thin loops that fit in his mouth that he just goes to town on. It also helps when I massage his gums with a clean finger or gum massager. Thankfully my husband had abandoned the idea of getting him not to chew on his hands now that he sees he needs to for his gums.

He's not necessarily teething, all babies start to drool at around 3 months :) it's a combination of their salivary glands beginning to produce enough saliva to help digest solid food, and the fact that babies at that age can purposefully put their hands in their mouths, which stimulates saliva production.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Related to this, the Cosco Scenera seems to be the most highly recommended convertible seat for airplane use, it's able to be installed forward- or rear-facing and is not so gigantic that lugging it through the airport is difficult. Consensus online also seems to be that Britax seats are very difficult to install and are liable to be too big to use on the plane.

vanessa posted:

When we flew with our son in a bucket seat, we went to seatguru.com and looked up the pitch of the planes used by the carriers we were considering. I'm not sure what carrier you had problems with, but we found both United and Frontier could accommodate our Britax Chaperone in regular economy, but we upgraded to economy plus so that the row in front of us could still recline.

The bucket seat that wouldn't fit was a Graco SafeSeat. We've flown several times with his convertible, a Britax Marathon, and never had a problem. The Marathon's a huge heavy monster and we have to put the armrests up but it fits in the seat fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005

He's not necessarily teething, all babies start to drool at around 3 months :) it's a combination of their salivary glands beginning to produce enough saliva to help digest solid food, and the fact that babies at that age can purposefully put their hands in their mouths, which stimulates saliva production.

I was going off what the Public Health Nurse said, since she said the drooling, chewing, and blowing spit bubbles were signs that's he's started teething, but if he hasn't actually started yet I will be grateful! He does seem to calm down and like it when I massage his gums sometimes when he's fussy, but maybe that's just because massages feel good anyway.