Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Come check out a livestream of bears hunting/eating salmon in a pristine river in alaska.

http://explore.org/#!/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

EDIT: baby bears on camera now with their parent, tune in now for some extra bear cute

Spanish Manlove has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Some cats cooling off:

(Crosspost from PYF Anything)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Found this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bku2thrhSA
Cat wants to play, but dog just wants to chew on his bone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG_QhttG6jo
Mirrors are an animals worst nightmare.

Rhonne has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Jul 20, 2013

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I want an otter so bad. :allears:

No you don't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ_Krei6EKw

(They're very cute, but they're not pets)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
They look like an amazing way to mess with an annoying neighbor. :3:

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Moon Potato posted:

No you don't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ_Krei6EKw

(They're very cute, but they're not pets)

I've seen that video a long time ago, and still does not deter me. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That last picture is how a lioness looks when she's trying to drag down a wildebeest before she kills it.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

My husband is going to kill me. And on our anniversary, too.

I picked Miss Mesa Mesita Querida Rosita La Plata Costilla Trinchera La Veta etc. (corgi-chihuahua mix) from a hot scrub desert road in September of last year. She was severely dehydrated and impacted and unable to move very much, and on finding and interviewing her "owners" (read: the people whose land she got dumped on, who then bred her as frequently as possible in the hopes of selling her puppies) realized she had been foraging on her own for a long time. She weighed 14 pounds before going into the nearest vet 50 miles away. She had four pounds of impacted gut garbage in her intestines.

I called my husband and informed him we had a new dog. He was... not pleased, because this broke a family rule: All new members of the family have to be discussed by all members of the family beforehand. I said, OK, if we don't like her, we can rehome her. She's a cute little dog, and she'll find a place in the city a lot easier than a remote county with no services.

She had to be taught that food is a constant thing now and she has her own. She had to be taught what a treat was. She had to be taught to not feed her food to the other animals because they have their own. She had to be taught how to play, what a toy was, and the rapture upon first tasting peanut butter. When she was finally rescued from that road and taken into my truck, she wagged her tail weakly, but for the most part kept it tucked between her legs as much as possible. When out on walks, she would only be comfortable walking under things, and seeing or hearing a bird of prey would make her too petrified to move.

So after less than a year, Miss Mesa Mesita has a bigger dog who plays with her and teaches her stuff about being a normal dog, she has a cat who grooms her, a big house, and a big yard where she knows she is safe. Her tail is always wagging except when she's a little nervous about Petsmart. She figured out what bowing means and she loves to roughhouse, something I never thought she would be able to do.

Of course the second my husband met her last September, he refused to let her be with any other family but ours. She'd found us for a reason.

This is how they looked when I woke up this morning. This is my human. There are many others like it but this one is mine.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

Want to shake hands with that otter.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I don't want otter pets but I want a stretch of river or lake where I can watch otters ott about.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

AltoidsAddict posted:

Miss Mesa Mesita Querida Rosita La Plata Costilla Trinchera La Veta etc.
Aww... :unsmith: Thanks for sharing, Altoids. Rescued dogs (or pretty much any other animal) make for the most grateful ones.

Hope ASSHAT(S) and Queen Elizatits don't mind me sharing for them, but they picked up a mother German Shepard and her pup from the side of a freeway some time ago and nursed them back to full health. Then this happened in April of this year:

ASSHAT(S) posted:

Maggie update (no pictures sorry) So Maggie has skyrocketed to number one favorite dog of after a small but possibly life changing event this morning. I have taken to running through the desert with Maggie on occasion, and for the most part it has been very cool in the mornings, so I haven't had to worry about snakes too often.

Today was different, I was going down a fairly steep hill at a quick pace when all of a sudden Maggie uncharacteristically pulled on her leash away from me, and puffed her coat up growling. In the split second of her pulling me over on the trail I realized I was about to run on top of an adolescent Mojave Green Rattlesnake. I heard the rattle before I even saw it coiled, sitting on the trail. She didn't attempt to be aggressive with the snake, but instead stayed puffed with a low growl and a very observant of the snake's movements. If she had not pulled me out of the way this, I honestly don't think I would be able to share this story today.

QE & I have said I now owe Maggie a life debt, and it's one I'm very grateful for.

Unrelated but still cute
"It was thundering and she started shaking. She stopped when I put her in the anti-thunder fort. :)"

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I always feel like a bad person for thinking dogs being scared of thunder is cute.

But it's so cute though.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Back when I was living at home, I both anticipated and dreaded the Fourth of July and New Years because of the way my dog would react. I hated that every time we opened the door, she would try to worm her way inside away from the fireworks, but thought it was adorable because she couldn't really orient herself because she was doped out of her skull. There's a video I took of her somewhere where she wasn't even able to walk right, the poor thing looked like Bambi trying to stand on the ice. I love you, Lucky, believe me, but you are the doofiest dog I've ever had. :3:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

VanSandman posted:

I don't want otter pets but I want a stretch of river or lake where I can watch otters ott about.

They're very shy - usually you just see the tops of their heads for a second or two between attempts to scare fish out of the reeds/mud. I finally got a close look at a mother and two pups this month, though :3:

rvm
May 6, 2013
Dog saves kitten

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:3:

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I'll just leave this here.
Man gives haircuts in the park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfZwqeZO05g

I swear it's just dusty in here.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

Otters are best mustelids.

And no, I don't literally want otter pets, but I sure wish they could be domesticated.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I spent the day with my 3 1/2 year old twin nieces and enjoyed how they constantly tried to outsmart me:

Alice: It's a real snake! It's biting you! (pokes me with rubber snake)
Dick: Didn't you just tell me that it's a pretend snake?
Alice: ...
Alice: ...
Alice: I'm pretending that the pretend snake is real! (pokes me some more with rubber snake)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Here's a baby turkey vulture dinosaur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRXXs0O7lw

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

After getting the three rolls of film I shot during my vacation back and realizing the photo lab processed the film wrong and they all came back blank, catching up on the last few pages of this thread have been really helpful. :unsmith:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I decided to GIS "cat feet" for some reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They're little fuzzy mittens! :3:

I searched "cat nose" in response.

:swoon:

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Thread needs some turtles and tortoises.

Babies on top of adults' heads!

These babies are actually a couple of years old, and still nowhere near mama's size:

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Jerusalem posted:

They're little fuzzy mittens! :3:

I searched "cat nose" in response.

:swoon:
I myself prefer doggy schnozzles. :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TorpedoFish posted:

I myself prefer doggy schnozzles. :3:

WORLDS COLLIDE! :derp:

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

There are tons of capybaras in my university campus. They are usually hanging out with the ducks by the lake, but a few days ago I spotted a bunch of them grazing by one of the parking lots. :3: (sorry for the poor cell phone pics)

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Esoteric Scientist posted:

There are tons of capybaras in my university campus. They are usually hanging out with the ducks by the lake, but a few days ago I spotted a bunch of them grazing by one of the parking lots. :3: (sorry for the poor cell phone pics)

Oh, my god, you get capybaras instead of the rats and vicious grey squirrels that terrorise a standard university campus?

What do you have instead of kamikaze seagulls and pigeons, the flipping golden phoenix of myth and legend?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYpvEiRnWNc

Someone get that duck a CPAP.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Linked because some people don't enjoy spiders

Momma jumping spider and son

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Esoteric Scientist posted:

Where do you live?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I was browsing a Comic-Con album, when this fella appeared. :kimchi:
http://www.tested.com/art/makers/456834-comic-con-2013-cosplay-gallery-850-photos/item/sdcc2013_309/

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR

AstroWhale posted:

Where do you live?

This is so endearing. One thing that I think people don't really realize is that people a long time ago had just as much fun and joy in their lives as they do now. But you never see people smiling in old photographs or portraits because they took loving ages and no one could smile that long.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

There's a lot of "gently caress the ocean" posts, but the sea has lots of cute and great things too! Lets show some love for our sea buddies.

Even scary sharks ain't so bad!

Baby belugas are called "piddlins" :3:

And this awesome dude, Gavin the photobombing parrotfish

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

How did they take so many pictures rapid fire? Photos were not rapid processes back then...

Regardless, that is adorable. :3:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I remember seeing those on a blog a year or so ago but I don't remember if it talked about which process the photos used, but I'm sure it was one of the more developed ones where exposure time was just a few seconds, which started being used around 1850.

eta: I misunderstood what you said. I think the technology for taking several pictures in quick succession like that was available around the 1920s, which fits that picture's look I think.

Safari Disco Lion has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Jul 22, 2013

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Taliaquin posted:

Thread needs some turtles and tortoises.

Babies on top of adults' heads!

[URL=http://s807.photobucket.com/user/kate_fatale/media/09C5G_zps8fa100b4.jpg.html]

It's turtles all the way... UP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

http://youtu.be/FCB2-AmI-3Q
My cat Zappa chasing a laser pointer.

• Locked thread