Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Pilchenstein posted:

I have 5627 max HP. I'm lacking damage, aren't I?

That can be it, but having a crit-based build will also hurt you. Hit and Penetration are more important stats for soloing, in order to avoid your attacks Glancing (Hit) or being Blocked (Pen). Penetration also increases your chance of getting a Penetrating hit- those do additional damage, but unlike Criticl hits, don't require a second stat to be as effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Not directly related to The Secret World, but if you like the Kingsmouth setting, you'd probably enjoy the Welcome to Night Vale podcast. It's like if pre-zombiepocalypse Kingsmouth had a community radio station narrated by a distant relative of Cheston.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

OneEightHundred posted:

For the newcomers, here's your handy soloing cheat sheet:

- Buy some QL10 glyphs on the auction house and slap them on anything that takes glyphs. Stacking pen rating is particularly hilarious.

While I generally agree with your advice, I'm not sure this is worth doing given how fast you replace gear.

Actually, I don't recommend buying weapons on the AH either unless you just can't seem to find one. The game vomits gear at you.

quote:

- Every zone has a dungeon, find a group for the dungeon in the group finder if you're doing OK in the zone so you can get upgrades and the massive first-time-run XP payout.

You can also just advertise in /LookingForGroup.

Pilchenstein posted:

I am still loving terrible at it. Can I get anywhere in the late game with shotguns? I got as far as Beseiged Farmlands with shotgun/elemental, but beyond that I just get my poo poo caved in almost instantly. Even going back to Egypt to do the issue 6 missions is a loving slog at times. My build is all about strikes and crits, with weakness & defensive turret for damage reduction and inferno & hurly-burly for aoe.

The issue missions are generally meant for endgame QL10 people, even if they're set earlier. Don't feel bad if you have trouble with them, although many of them you aren't meant to have to fight through. (Like the first one you're supposed to use the bombs, the second one you're supposed to sneak.)

Your build is probably the biggest source of your problems, although you do probably give up too much damage with that much HP. Pop in Mumble and we'll see if we can't sort you out.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Did we ever hear more about Funcom implementing in-game radio streams? Radio Free Cheston is waiting on that.

Radio Free Cheston: "Also has Raiser, and music that isn't godawful."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

Did we ever hear more about Funcom implementing in-game radio streams? Radio Free Cheston is waiting on that.

How much would I have to donate to get a "Cheston reads" segment? Where each week at x time you read from a book until it's finished. I would tune in every goddamn week.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Cheston posted:

I'd totally be your weathergirl.

Seoul: expect rain. Transylvania: more snow. Egypt: sunny with occasional locusts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You should all get onto the testlive forums and back me up on features that should be added to the game:

Banks that are not in london
A pet keychain so they don't take up inventory slots
Unutterable Lurker leaderboard complete with 10k kill achievement
The ability to get 10.5 gear on testlive without having to do the raid and hope for drops
The ability to remove the raid lockout timer on testlive so you can, you know, test the raid

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
For those of you that like the snow mobile outfit/helmet; Funcom added these items to the game in 1.7.2, not sure when they will be released or through what medium (store or cheevo).

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Thank you so much for those last posts with newbie tips, I'm about to jump in the game and I'm sure they will help tons. :)

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004
Been playing since a few days, I'm only putting points into Blood (Profane/Sacred) now, since i want that to be my primary focus and access the advanced 6 Blood fields.
(I understood this correctly, yes? I need to buy all the Sacred and Profane abilities to be able to use the later ones in Blood?)

Still in Kingsmouth and doing super fine with the Missions right now, but i'd like to know when i should start putting points into a second Field? And which one is recommended with Blood? Was thinking Blades, Elemental or Chaos, since they seem the most interesting to me. (I want to mostly solo the Story missions probably so it doesn't have to be perfect but I want to make sure I don't get stuck in some later Missions)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Just looking at the ability list, Blood and Elemental seem to share some Affliction synergies. They also have a bunch of Chain attacks. I could see an Chain-AoE Affliction-DoT setup using those two.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So I just started and want to do a Shotgun+Magic build, but none of the magic branches seem to synergies well with shotguns, from my cursory examination. Am I wrong?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

So I just started and want to do a Shotgun+Magic build, but none of the magic branches seem to synergies well with shotguns, from my cursory examination. Am I wrong?

Chaos is Tanking, Shotguns are tanking/support.

Ele has a few neat CC tricks like Flicker, Molten Earth, and Coldwave. And if you go Ele Support, the Mainfestations could prove useful.

Blood is healing I think, so I have no idea.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Zephonith posted:

Not directly related to The Secret World, but if you like the Kingsmouth setting, you'd probably enjoy the Welcome to Night Vale podcast. It's like if pre-zombiepocalypse Kingsmouth had a community radio station narrated by a distant relative of Cheston.

Seconding this, it marries the horror of Lovecraft and humour of local radio excellently.

Does anyone know what the reward for completing the Snowfall achievement for Issue #7 is? I got it but I can't find where it is in my dressing room (I assume it's a costume of some sort).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I got my 1200 bonus points for 30 missions. What do you recommend I buy? I know an Issue, but which one?

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

Not So Fast posted:

Does anyone know what the reward for completing the Snowfall achievement for Issue #7 is? I got it but I can't find where it is in my dressing room (I assume it's a costume of some sort).

Titles. If you look at your achievement list for those specific achievements, there should be a white box in the corner, hover the mouse over that and it'll tell you what the reward is.

VVVVV
Pangea in London sells all sorts of clothes

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 20, 2013

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Where can you buy some new clothes ? I've looked around in the templar HQ but there does not seem to be a lot on offer. And what was on offer seems to go at a pretty steep price, is that the same for all the cosmetic items ?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Jedit posted:

I got my 1200 bonus points for 30 missions. What do you recommend I buy? I know an Issue, but which one?

Issue 7 would be the best bang for your buck, gives the missions and a nice necklace that will last forever.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

Where can you buy some new clothes ? I've looked around in the templar HQ but there does not seem to be a lot on offer. And what was on offer seems to go at a pretty steep price, is that the same for all the cosmetic items ?

You either get them by completing decks or going to Pangaea in London.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

deichkind42 posted:

Been playing since a few days, I'm only putting points into Blood (Profane/Sacred) now, since i want that to be my primary focus and access the advanced 6 Blood fields.
(I understood this correctly, yes? I need to buy all the Sacred and Profane abilities to be able to use the later ones in Blood?)

Still in Kingsmouth and doing super fine with the Missions right now, but i'd like to know when i should start putting points into a second Field? And which one is recommended with Blood? Was thinking Blades, Elemental or Chaos, since they seem the most interesting to me. (I want to mostly solo the Story missions probably so it doesn't have to be perfect but I want to make sure I don't get stuck in some later Missions)

You do need to fill in both halves of a weapon's inner ring to reach the outer ring abilities, yes. But you should be putting a few points in a second weapon right off the bat. You are leaving damage on the table by not having a second consumer, because most builders build resources for both equipped weapons.

At endgame in Nightmares, Blood/Elemental is viable but very, very hard to play well; nothing else is, really. But when leveling the correct pairing is literally anything.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
^^^^^
Which reminds me...

When first starting out, when you do the mission to get your first weapon in the weapon training room, once you leave the room, turn right back around and grab another weapon. That way you can use both right off the bat (once you get the abilities for the second) and don't need to wait for a specific drop to use the weapons you want to start off with.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

^^^^^
Which reminds me...

When first starting out, when you do the mission to get your first weapon in the weapon training room, once you leave the room, turn right back around and grab another weapon. That way you can use both right off the bat (once you get the abilities for the second) and don't need to wait for a specific drop to use the weapons you want to start off with.

I wish I knew this like an hour ago.

So with the fact this game doesn't have levels, how bad is it if I change my mind and want to start down a completely different skill path from what I've been doing? Do I always gain AP at a static rate?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

So with the fact this game doesn't have levels, how bad is it if I change my mind and want to start down a completely different skill path from what I've been doing? Do I always gain AP at a static rate?

You always get 1 SP for every 3 AP, and the experience costs for these are all static. However missions start giving more XP as you go into the game, so I'm told you effectively get AP and SP thrown at you later on.

There doesn't seem to be a reason to re-roll unless you really want to try a different faction or change your name/face. You can eventually get every skill and ability on a single character.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

mango sentinel posted:

You can just buy a QL0 one for like 100 PXR from the Venice vendor near the police station in Kingsmouth. You haven't really got a problem.

Changing your mind is completely fine. The amount of XP required for 1 SP or 1 AP is static but the further into the game you go the more XP everything gives you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

guppy posted:

You can just buy a QL0 one for like 100 PXR from the Venice vendor near the police station in Kingsmouth. You haven't really got a problem.

Changing your mind is completely fine. The amount of XP required for 1 SP or 1 AP is static but the further into the game you go the more XP everything gives you.

I don't really remember but can't you do that crafting mission and get a QL0 for free? It's been a long loving time since I did Kingsmouth missions though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Len posted:

I don't really remember but can't you do that crafting mission and get a QL0 for free? It's been a long loving time since I did Kingsmouth missions though.

You can only do the crafting mission once AFAIK. But 100 pax is chump change and the Venice merchants (at the building a little NW of the sherrif's office) sell all weapons at QL0 for 100 pax per.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

WarLocke posted:

There doesn't seem to be a reason to re-roll unless you really want to try a different faction or change your name/face.

I think the only things you can't change are your gender, faction, and name? There is a Doc in New York who will change your face/height and a Barber in London for your hair I believe.

Having a pretty fun time dicking about with my AR for now. Tinbeard on Grim in case the Illuminati Cabal is actually active.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Three of the four cabals are active, if you want an invite hop on mumble, join the offside forums or use the ingame goon chat channel (#awful).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Three of the four cabals are active, if you want an invite hop on mumble, join the offside forums or use the ingame goon chat channel (#awful).

Agreeing with this. The best bet to get into the cabals is to check mumble. I'm EvilBillMurray in game but I don't sign in as often as I used to but I idle in mumble a lot.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Rookersh posted:

Chaos is Tanking, Shotguns are tanking/support.

Ele has a few neat CC tricks like Flicker, Molten Earth, and Coldwave. And if you go Ele Support, the Mainfestations could prove useful.

Blood is healing I think, so I have no idea.
Shotgun and ele both have a lot of "strike" attacks, which are easy to stack bonuses on. Use Flame Strike as your ele consumer, either Ignition or Striker as your builder, and either Out for a Kill or Raging Bullet as your shotgun consumer. Take Strike Force and Improved Strikes.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I am not fond of most of the subclass active and passive abilities, they just don't hold a candle to the non-subclasses. There are some exceptions, like using leeching frenzy with escalation/blade torrent/suppressing fire, or ferocity with safety off as these tend to boost all your abilities and not just the subclass. Strike has some amazing sounding passives inside of it but the non strike abilities are just perform so much better. Out for a Kill hits harder then Raging Bullet and putting Molten Steel (which is a non-subclass that adds +30% crit damage) in a rotation with ele force and momentum is just sick.

Don't take this as me saying not to make a subclass focus'd build, by all means do it. It will still perform much better then most pubbie builds out there and more then enough to clear all the content in the game. Just don't ignore the other non-subclass abilities.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Just picked this up. Is the server information in the original post still accurate?

MisterWaffles
Dec 20, 2009
Are there any trial/referral keys left? I'd like to give this game a shot.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

MisterWaffles posted:

Are there any trial/referral keys left? I'd like to give this game a shot.

XC2YX5RLNGVDQLWE69NS

Shinino Kage posted:

Just picked this up. Is the server information in the original post still accurate?

Yeah, there really are no servers in the game. The different dimensions just determine what PvP battlegroup you belong to. All PvE content can be done regardless of where the other players are, Cabals are cross dimension as well. Most goons started on Grim, but now we are spread among them all.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 21, 2013

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

quote:

Cabals are cross dimension as well

But not cross-faction, remember!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

novaSphere posted:

But not cross-faction, remember!

Maybe one day we can shed our faction's and join a neutral Counsel of Venice cabal. But yes, no cross faction cabals.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

HughGRect posted:

Maybe one day we can shed our faction's and join a neutral Counsel of Venice cabal. But yes, no cross faction cabals.

So which Faction are we in? Or are we also spread out amongst them?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

guppy posted:

The issue missions are generally meant for endgame QL10 people, even if they're set earlier. Don't feel bad if you have trouble with them, although many of them you aren't meant to have to fight through. (Like the first one you're supposed to use the bombs, the second one you're supposed to sneak.)

Your build is probably the biggest source of your problems, although you do probably give up too much damage with that much HP. Pop in Mumble and we'll see if we can't sort you out.

I popped on mumble a couple of times but there was nobody about, is it still the same server as it was at launch?

Anyway, I managed to rejig my build to work with penetration instead of crit and it's much, much better, even without a full set of pen/hit glyphs. I managed to finish Last Train to Cairo tonight, though the last mission took me bloody forever because I kept jumping off the train. Subpar Mario Brothers represent! :v:

guppy posted:

There's a "Reconstructor," which repairs your gear and everyone else's in your group with an hour cooldown, so you don't have to go find a vendor to do it, but you still have to pay for the repairs.

Despite your sage advice about saving veteran points, I spent the 30 I had on the Reconstructor. I faceplanted off that train infinity times.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

Shinino Kage posted:

So which Faction are we in? Or are we also spread out amongst them?

Spread out amongst factions and different cabals, unfortunately there has been lots of drama related to the "leadership" of the main goon cabals. At this stage it's best to just list your in game name in the thread and add other people whos ingame name you see in the thread. Some goons hang out in mumble but not many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

thwoompa posted:

Spread out amongst factions and different cabals, unfortunately there has been lots of drama related to the "leadership" of the main goon cabals. At this stage it's best to just list your in game name in the thread and add other people whos ingame name you see in the thread. Some goons hang out in mumble but not many.

gently caress factions, hang out in mumble, tell Drinkfist to STFU

e: Also this needs to be repeated because if you're coming to this game with the WoW quest hub mentality it'll be frustrating: DO NOT try to do every quest at a 'hub' together! Pick one, go do it, when you finish there should be another mission nearby, grab that and do it, when you're done there should be another one starting nearby, etc etc. Eventually it will loop back to the first hub, and you can grab a new/different mission and do it again.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 21, 2013

• Locked thread