Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What are some games similar to Slayin? I like Punch Quest and Dead Ahead so I guess I like pixel-based endless games with missions in them. Also some people were looking for rhythm games, I suggest Magic Piano and Tap Studio 3. Tap Studio 3 is based off user made charts and you can download whatever song you want as long as its present on your device

Fallom posted:

Listen, man, you can play so much without spending a dime! It's totally cool.
On this tip, I've been playing Peacekeeper lately. It's a port of a flash game but it's well optimized for touch. It's free, with optional IAP, has missions, and upgrades. It appears to be an endless wave fighter where you swipe up and down between 3 positions in a trench and tap where you want to shoot. If you click to do the Facebook likes (which register as soon as the app is exited, you don't actually have to like poo poo) then that will set you up with enough cash to upgrade your cash-getting skill to set you up on a permanent non-IAP-needing course.

I don't really get the central story at all but it's a fun game type and it's free, and doesn't take up much space, so give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow. I'm not suggesting foul play but holy cow Halfbrick's new game ( Colossotron ) seems awful similar to NimbleQuest.

Both have you manipulating a chain/snake with each 'segment' holding its own power/weapon and it looks like the snake gets longer and that factors into your navigation & avoidance.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Feenix posted:

Wow. I'm not suggesting foul play but holy cow Halfbrick's new game ( Colossotron ) seems awful similar to NimbleQuest.

Both have you manipulating a chain/snake with each 'segment' holding its own power/weapon and it looks like the snake gets longer and that factors into your navigation & avoidance.

Magic Cube's Call of Snakes did it first- Nimblebit "stole" it from them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bummey posted:

Magic Cube's Call of Snakes did it first- Nimblebit "stole" it from them.

I never claimed anyone stole anything. Merely that it's kinda crazy how similar it appears to be to NQ.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
If Halfbrick's game is just NimbleQuest but with the Jetpack Joyride achievement system I'd be pretty down with that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Feenix posted:

I never claimed anyone stole anything. Merely that it's kinda crazy how similar it appears to be to NQ.

Going out of your way to point out that you aren't suggesting foul play is the same as suggesting foul play.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Feenix posted:

From what I've read though you don't control the worms actual movements, so that would be different.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fallom posted:

Going out of your way to point out that you aren't suggesting foul play is the same as suggesting foul play.

Maybe in your weird rear end world. I was being quite literal. Just how I wouldn't have accused anyone of foul play when Volcano AND Dante's Peak came out the same year. (Or Armageddon & Deep Impact). Just that it's kind of bizarre.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Feenix posted:

Maybe in your weird rear end world.

Yeah it's the crazy planet called earth where "I'm not a racist, BUT" exists as a phrase.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
DEAR HALFBRICK,

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Fallom posted:

Yeah it's the crazy planet called earth where "I'm not a racist, BUT" exists as a phrase.

Yeah, dude, what he said isn't really comparable to the insufferable "I'm not racist, BUT" line. It's possible for someone to say "yeah, they're similar, but I don't think they ripped anyone off" and not actually be suggesting they were ripped off.
Especially when the game in question is an evolution of Snake.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm not saying I don't have a coherent point to add to this discussion, but, um...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This snake game has a literal snake in it.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
And it looks like you have to kill the snake, not protect it.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
It's like, pretty impossible to see but an ad for crabitron has been playing for approx. five minutes on the big federation square tv in melbourne. I mostly regret purchasing it because it was expensive and I don't like it. Still, it's drawing a little crowd.

Futuridium EP is amazing fun. It reminds me of Amiga block shooters, like some Star Wars game I played when I was a little kid. except so much better. It also makes me dream of Zeewolf for iPad. I would pay 9.99 for Zeewolf for iPad. Maybe more! That game even had this weird elitest tinge where if you were cool, you'd forgo the joystick and play the game with your old gunked up ball mouse, so you felt like you really didn't quite have the control you should, just like real life, on your Action Amiga magazine mousepad they gave out in celebration of the release of Cannon Fodder 2 and that curled up in the middle because the plastic was cheap and it slid around because the underfoam was crazy smooth. Hell, what did you expect, you got it on the back of a magazine.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 20, 2013

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Has anyone played this freemium citybuilder Archie game? I'm really digging it. Never read any of the comics though. I heard that they are pretty forward thinking - there was a storyline about two gay characters getting married a while back.

It is more in depth than tapped out. You can have two characters do activities together to increase their relationship levels. It also looks like you can level them up in different categories based on the activities you have them do. There are also points in the story where you have to pick sides between the titular ladies. You can always go back and do the other thing later, but the initial choice unlocks a special reward.

Persistant connection required though, ugh.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Holy poo poo, an Archie game? I grew up reading those, so I may check it out for the sake of nostalgia alone. I didn't think enough people cared about those comics for something like this to even be made.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

The comics still get published so somebody's buying them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Can I raise rent on Pop Tate to force him into a life of poverty and despair while I turn his beloved Chock'lit Shoppe into a Starbucks??

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

monkeytennis posted:

And it looks like you have to kill the snake, not protect it.

No, you are the snake.

Ride the snake!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Pocket Tactics has an interview with a couple of guys from Slitherine/Matrix about Panzer Corps iOS and iOS wargames in general. Apparently 25% of their total revenue last year came from a handful of iOS games, which explains why they were so quick to announce an iPad version of that 40k strategy game they're working on. Pretty interesting stuff overall. I guess being the first/only publisher to really push somewhat serious wargames for iOS is working out for them, even with their relatively high prices.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Feenix posted:

It's probably made by nicer devs that are responsive to constructive criticism so I support it.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Necroneocon posted:

It's probably made by nicer devs that are responsive to constructive criticism so I support it.

The iOS Games Megathread: Troll NimbleBit.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

eeenmachine posted:

The iOS Games Megathread: Troll NimbleBit.

It's not trolling if he believes it.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
In regard to the GBA emulator, my 9 year-old was absolutely crushed when it wouldn't work on his iPad anymore. "I had so many levels!!!!"

I told him to google about it, in about 10 seconds he found that if you manually set the date on your iPad/iPhone to sometime before July 14 (don't remember exact date, just bump it back a month) it resolves.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

JDM3 posted:

In regard to the GBA emulator, my 9 year-old was absolutely crushed when it wouldn't work on his iPad anymore. "I had so many levels!!!!"

I told him to google about it, in about 10 seconds he found that if you manually set the date on your iPad/iPhone to sometime before July 14 (don't remember exact date, just bump it back a month) it resolves.

Also once it's downloaded, just launch it in airplane mode and it will continue to work indefinitely as far as I can tell. I got it to work that way without resetting the date.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I went to show my co-worker Deus Ex on ipad and it looks like after you complete the game it unlocks a harder mode but you keep your inventory and augs. So after playing through passive and not killing anyone I might go the other route and shoot anything that moves.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kenny Logins posted:

On this tip, I've been playing Peacekeeper lately. It's a port of a flash game but it's well optimized for touch. It's free, with optional IAP, has missions, and upgrades. It appears to be an endless wave fighter where you swipe up and down between 3 positions in a trench and tap where you want to shoot. If you click to do the Facebook likes (which register as soon as the app is exited, you don't actually have to like poo poo) then that will set you up with enough cash to upgrade your cash-getting skill to set you up on a permanent non-IAP-needing course.

I don't really get the central story at all but it's a fun game type and it's free, and doesn't take up much space, so give it a shot.

I wanted to play this but it runs absolutely horrible on my iPod touch once the screen starts filling up which is in the first 5 seconds of the game. My dinky little iPod is chuggin along its damndest but its getting old

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I had fun with it, played through and unlocked mostly everything in about an hour.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bummey posted:

I've found it's better to believe that people are trolling rather than having wrong opinions.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Started playing Breach & Clear. (Turn based game about special forces entering and clearing room full of baddies)

Obviously does not run smoothly and loading takes bit long on iPhone4, but game involves some thinking regarding moving and equipments. Hoping that the developers optimize the game further, because currently equipping one slot takes like 10 seconds of game freeze on iPhone4.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Bummey posted:

It's not trolling because SHE does believe it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Necroneocon posted:

Oh dear. Gender assertion aside, I happen to agree.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

How can I download apps outside my region? Do I have to create a region-specific account? I dunno how to do that :saddowns:

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Necroneocon posted:

oh christ. Since it's so easy to tell genders over the internet it's worth getting upset over.

it's ok nimblebit guys, even if they don't love you I do, platonicly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On the internet "he" and "she" are non-gender-specific. Use whichever you prefer. If you want to be called one or the other then you need to say so in your username or custom title or something.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Corridor posted:

How can I download apps outside my region? Do I have to create a region-specific account? I dunno how to do that :saddowns:

You need to create a new account in the desired region using any address from that region that you want; I usually choose mcdonald's restaurants because they're all over the god damned world. When you attempt to download a free app it will ask for your payment information but they will give you an option not to enter anything and you can stick to free apps that way.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

withak posted:

On the internet "he" and "she" are non-gender-specific. Use whichever you prefer. If you want to be called one or the other then you need to say so in your username or custom title or something.
This is also the way it works in reality. ("he" is literally the non-gendered pronoun, as well as the male gendered pronoun... English is sexist, basically, and nobody wants to adopt an actual non-gendered pronoun)

Necroneocon posted:

So you're a SHE Troll. Got it. You want that in avatar form?
(Trust me, you really don't want to reply to that.)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 22, 2013

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
The new Halfbrick game is nothing like NimbleQuest at all. I played it at PAX.

You have to match certain colour body parts and upgrade your robot snake as the humans throw more and more defenses your way. There are a bunch of different combinations between colours. You can also unload a focus fire every 10 or so seconds in a particular area if you are getting overwhelmed.

It was similar to this - http://games.adultswim.com/snaaaake-action-online-game.html

But you can upgrade it with the color matching combo system for better weapons, healing etc. and you don't control the snake directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Two things, i'm way behind on the times.

How do you be good at bar oasis? I really want to like this game, but I just add ingredients by tipping my phone or whatever until it says ok and immediately stop, and all my drinks seem to randomly be sewage or good. I make a really nice Bottled Beer anyway.

And in battle cats: I'm loving this game, would it be worth it to toss the devs :10bux: and get some of the iap cats? Which ones are recommended? Im a few days from getting my sweet bicycle catte.

• Locked thread