Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erebro
Apr 28, 2013

Stormgale posted:

I was regularly checking up he Ex3 Developer posts on the forums and I just saw this reply from holden (In a thread about people taking their own opinions of various exalted factions as cannon) which gave me pause:

Holden posted:

That one's totally true.

Could we like avoid this, can I have my awesome warrior beast men without Massive amounts of loving so I can play this around actual living breathing sane people.

Sadly, this is the canonical reason for beastmen, and don't expect that to change. Ever.

On the other hand, it does also mean there's a semi-sane reason, so that also means that there's an IC reason Lunars would look upon a true, insane OOC creep with disgust. It's business, not pleasure.

And yes, it's still horrible, just a more mundane form of horrible rather than CTech horrible.

Erebro fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebro
Apr 28, 2013
loving DOUBLE POST!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Stormgale posted:

I was regularly checking up he Ex3 Developer posts on the forums and I just saw this reply from holden (In a thread about people taking their own opinions of various exalted factions as cannon) which gave me pause:

quote:

That one's totally true.

Could we like avoid this, can I have my awesome warrior beast men without Massive amounts of loving so I can play this around actual living breathing sane people.

I don't see what's so difficult about avoiding it/invoking Rule 0 (It's your game, play it as you'd like)

Play with sane people and say "Hey guys, I'm playing a Lunar who's not a ravenous sexhound, just so you know." Or even "This is a really unnecessary and creepy thing, can we not include it as a default assumption in this game please?"

Problem solved (assuming you are playing with sane people, but I think that at the very least there's enough Goons into Exalted that it wouldn't be a problem to find a non-creepy group on this site.)

EDIT: On that note, it being the canonical reason for Beastmen is one of the stupidest and shittiest Lunar ideas in Exalted. They make their armies/followers through copious loving and breeding? Really, that's the only thing people could come up with for the Chosen of Luna?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 20, 2013

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Because maybe I want to pass the book around without having to put a note on it saying "Ignore the Shag happy passages that leer at you from the page"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Problem solved (assuming you are playing with sane people, but I think that at the very least there's enough Goons into Exalted that it wouldn't be a problem to find a non-creepy group on this site.)
Yeah, for better or worse at this point anyone who's going to reflexively go 'lol you made a dogfucker' if you come to the table with a Lunar character is either a massive dick or has some grognardian theory which probably just means he is a massive dick with a manifesto. A manifesto about Lunars. But who DOESN'T have a manifesto about Lunars?

This isn't meant to defend the dumb/skeezy sex stuff that's bubbled through the franchise, and I can certainly see this from a perspective of 'sigh, this is why I can't find games or get players'. But if people are ALREADY playing Exalted, I don't think you need to be anxious about opting for a Lunar PC amongst that group, unless that group is dicks.

Stormgale posted:

Because maybe I want to pass the book around without having to put a note on it saying "Ignore the Shag happy passages that leer at you from the page"
This is a legitimate concern, though it's been in the game since 1st edition IMO; if anything I think it was more prominent there, or at least it leapt out more to my eye.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 20, 2013

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Nessus posted:

Yeah, for better or worse at this point anyone who's going to reflexively go 'lol you made a dogfucker' if you come to the table with a Lunar character is either a massive dick or has some grognardian theory which probably just means he is a massive dick with a manifesto. A manifesto about Lunars. But who DOESN'T have a manifesto about Lunars?

This isn't meant to defend the dumb/skeezy sex stuff that's bubbled through the franchise, and I can certainly see this from a perspective of 'sigh, this is why I can't find games or get players'. But if people are ALREADY playing Exalted, I don't think you need to be anxious about opting for a Lunar PC amongst that group, unless that group is dicks.

Unless you know they're new to Exalted and just read the book.

Basically, why do we have to settle for skeevy bullshit? It seems like if they're going to fix all of Exalted's other problems it seems like they could make remove the so called "edgy and dark" but actually childish and puerile sex stuff. Especially since it's a barrier to getting new people into the game.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Valhawk posted:

It seems like if they're going to fix all of Exalted's other problems

Do we actually have any rules yet or is it all still hype and promises?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Valhawk posted:

Basically, why do we have to settle for skeevy bullshit? It seems like if they're going to fix all of Exalted's other problems it seems like they could make remove the so called "edgy and dark" but actually childish and puerile sex stuff. Especially since it's a barrier to getting new people into the game.
I am inclined to agree but I saw four words from Holden there and I don't think that is necessarily a definitive authorial statement that Lunars will ooze horrible sex stuff. I understand both the concern and the lack of any particular trust given the late unpleasantness, but in the context of a short reply in a thread with people talking about their head-canons I don't think there is much grist for the mill.

I may have misunderstood the context of course, since I don't go trawling through the WW forums (and hilariously, have seen Exalted games implode because they became more about those drat forum threads than playing a game)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There's absolutely no reason to give the exalted developers the benefit of the doubt anytime sexuality is involved.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Ya, they have to earn benefit of the doubt on sex stuff, especially after the whole rape ghost incident.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Valhawk posted:

Aren't we just making wild assumptions based on a throwaway line of "Yeah, Lunars are promiscuous?" Is this going to be the entire thread from here on out? I am pretty sure that's going to be the case.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
If Hatewheel or Holden do still lurk here at times, I hope you guys reconsider pan-Exalt assumptions in general - whether this or, for another Lunar example, the Barbarism-as-a-core-concept thing from months ago.

Ascribing social/cultural norms to all Exalts of a given type (Solar/Lunar/Abyssal etc.) really goes against the spirit of Exalted being larger than life Individuals, by shackling them to assumptions based on what is essentially their 'Race' (let's face it, Exalts are the equivalent of D&D Races) - not IC assumptions, it makes sense for the average Realm citizen to have negative thoughts about the Anathema - but OOC assumptions that deny their individuality because "See, Holden said right here that Lunars are Barbarians and Sexually Promiscuous, why is your special snowflake concept going against Canon?"

It's not a problem for my group, since I'm going to Rule 0 the gently caress out of things I really dislike, but as others have mentioned, that can really be a bad influence on and barrier to new players.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Mikan posted:

Do we actually have any rules yet or is it all still hype and promises?

The latter. I was just thinking that I really need to see at least their rules for combat. They were apparently already done for playtesting at conventions, so there really shouldn't be any reason that they can't tip their hand a little bit more. It's not like showing us the combat rules is anywhere near "giving away our game for free."

I'm optimistic about the Lunar sex situation. I'm not giving the Exalted devs any doubt benefits, but they've praised the 2nd edition Lunar book, and that barely touched on the whole beastmen debacle at all. They've criticized the 1st edition approach on several occasions. I just hope that the book goes for more "beastmen are the descendents of ancient Lunars", letting you fill in the blanks as grossly or creepily as you desire, rather than "man, the Lunars gently caress everything, like, they just can't stop, let's give you some rules to make a horde of beastmen by hardcore loving" that the 1st edition book had. I think Holden's statement was a joke about the first book, but, again, he doesn't have a whole lot of credibility here.

edit: What I'm saying is that "all Lunars are rapacious/lusty" will almost certainly not be a setting conceit. Whether they'll dwell on the Lunars that are rapacious/lusty, describe them in loving detail and give you mechanics for all that is anyone's guess.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

AdjectiveNoun posted:

It's not a problem for my group, since I'm going to Rule 0 the gently caress out of things I really dislike, but as others have mentioned, that can really be a bad influence on and barrier to new players.

Given that Holden seems to be trolling a thread that's discussing animal sexuality I think we shouldn't take this as an official position for Lunars in 3E. Maybe. :v:

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Bedlamdan posted:

Given that Holden seems to be trolling a thread that's discussing animal sexuality I think we shouldn't take this as an official position for Lunars in 3E. Maybe. :v:

I was talking also about the "Barbarism" thing he touted as a core concept for Lunars months ago (and yes, I know he mentioned at the start of that post that it didn't invalidate urban Lunars, but that's not gonna mean much to people after several paragraphs of why Barbarism is a core concept for Lunars) - and as said before, Holden and Hatewheel aren't getting the benefit of the doubt on creepy sex stuff in Exalted anymore until they earn it back.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I was talking also about the "Barbarism" thing he touted as a core concept for Lunars months ago (and yes, I know he mentioned at the start of that post that it didn't invalidate urban Lunars, but that's not gonna mean much to people after several paragraphs of why Barbarism is a core concept for Lunars) - and as said before, Holden and Hatewheel aren't getting the benefit of the doubt on creepy sex stuff in Exalted anymore until they earn it back.

Sure, I understand that. But well, this entire tangent still has people jumping to some pretty big conclusions on a future product based on an offhand statement a dev made on another forum entirely. And I can't help but feel that we're going to be having the exact same conversation again whenever the thread is bumped. Look, I get that this is a problem, but I'd rather not talk about the problems stemming from the Abyssals preview for a third or fourth time. Nothing new is ever discussed. I'd rather wait for the book to come out, and then rip on it after it turns out it's as bad as everyone keeps maintaining it will be.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Bedlamdan posted:

Sure, I understand that. But well, this entire tangent still has people jumping to some pretty big conclusions on a future product based on an offhand statement a dev made on another forum entirely. And I can't help but feel that we're going to be having the exact same conversation again whenever the thread is bumped. Look, I get that this is a problem, but I'd rather not talk about the problems stemming from the Abyssals preview for a third or fourth time. Nothing new is ever discussed. I'd rather wait for the book to come out, and then rip on it after it turns out it's as bad as everyone keeps maintaining it will be.

I agree with you and don't plan to bring up Abyssals again - like you said it's been discussed to death. I'd much prefer we had something concrete to talk about Exalted-wise, but all we have are art tidbits every few weeks that hardly provide much room for conversation...

Alright, how about this for a conversation topic: I dislike Solars. Really dislike them as a whole, though there is the occasional gem of a character. I find them in general to be bland, vanilla power fantasies with most opportunities for actual flavour, themes or characterization substituted by Awesome Flawless Power - often at the expense of other Exalts (Flawless Impenetrable Disguise>Lunar Shapeshifting by a tremendous degree, for instance) - making them basically the D&D 3.5 Wizards of the Exalted world.

3E hasn't done anything so far to suggest they'll be any more interesting than they were in 2E - who here thinks they will be interesting and why?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Alright, how about this for a conversation topic: I dislike Solars.

That's a terrible topic! :colbert:

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Really dislike them as a whole, though there is the occasional gem of a character. I find them in general to be bland, vanilla power fantasies with most opportunities for actual flavour, themes or characterization substituted by Awesome Flawless Power - often at the expense of other Exalts (Flawless Impenetrable Disguise>Lunar Shapeshifting by a tremendous degree, for instance) - making them basically the D&D 3.5 Wizards of the Exalted world.

3E hasn't done anything so far to suggest they'll be any more interesting than they were in 2E - who here thinks they will be interesting and why?

Well, the thing is that I think Solars were always interesting. They're supposed to be blank slates, free of the complex hierarchies and established powers in the setting. I mean, even Infernals and Abyssals get a bunch of baggage, while the Solars get to be free to find their place in the world. They're hilariously overpowered, sure, and that needs to be resolved, but conceptually I have no problem. They have the most freedom in figuring out their backstory.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Bedlamdan posted:

The reason we keep coming back to it is that it was a major thing that happened that was never really resolved, and the devs are giving us nothing else to talk about. I don't think we have anything to gain at this point by discussing it but I'm sure as hell not going to forget it happened any time soon.

quote:

I dislike Solars. Really dislike them as a whole, though there is the occasional gem of a character.

Me too, they need less boring as poo poo charms like fire and stones strike and more cool charms like hero rides away. Focus less on the excellence and more on the righteous hero shtick.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Bedlamdan posted:

That's a terrible topic! :colbert:

Well, the thing is that I think Solars were always interesting. They're supposed to be blank slates, free of the complex hierarchies and established powers in the setting. I mean, even Infernals and Abyssals get a bunch of baggage, while the Solars get to be free to find their place in the world. They're hilariously overpowered, sure, and that needs to be resolved, but conceptually I have no problem. They have the most freedom in figuring out their backstory.

Most of the reason that they work best as a blank slate is that Exalted has always been terrible about that kind of option for the other kind of exalts. Ronin Sidereal / casteless Lunar / outcast Dragon-Blooded / Renegade Abyssal and so on are all sub-par choices that punish you for trying to do something other than being part of that exalt's organization.

Take away the mechanical aspect of things and Dragon-Blooded make just as good blank slates as Solars, plus they have cool themes in their charmset.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 21, 2013

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I agree with you and don't plan to bring up Abyssals again - like you said it's been discussed to death. I'd much prefer we had something concrete to talk about Exalted-wise, but all we have are art tidbits every few weeks that hardly provide much room for conversation...

Alright, how about this for a conversation topic: I dislike Solars. Really dislike them as a whole, though there is the occasional gem of a character. I find them in general to be bland, vanilla power fantasies with most opportunities for actual flavour, themes or characterization substituted by Awesome Flawless Power - often at the expense of other Exalts (Flawless Impenetrable Disguise>Lunar Shapeshifting by a tremendous degree, for instance) - making them basically the D&D 3.5 Wizards of the Exalted world.

Yeah, they did not prepare their hype machine very well. I still haven't gotten the chance to pick my extinct animal! :mad:

As for the Solars, I dislike them but I don't hate them. I understand both why they are 'core', in that they're kind of the 'do anything' splat and it is arguably easier to define other Exalted mechanics as a variation on the Solar mechanics than to try and come up with independent systems for each and every one, and why they are appealing to some. It is kind of the Superman issue, except that, like Superman, it means that the challenges they face have to be different.

However, there is the problem that Solars, unlike Superman, do not really have their moral outlook as their main constraint. Superman in theory never kills, and in practice shits his Super-pants when he has to. Solars, even good Solars, almost certainly kill a bunch of people in the course of Solaring it up, forming kingdoms and all that.

My own personal take on what would make Solars better, rather than just giving them 'the best at everything ever other than a few edge cases' (even if I gather in 3E there will be less of a titanic gulf between Celestial splats and even CElestials and Terrestrials) is to focus, yes, on their Arete-like mastery of more or less conventional skills, and perhaps even grant them Charms particularly well disposed towards rulership. However, in some hypothetical Exaltocracy, it should be just as valid for the ancient and wise Lunar to have his Solar vizier execute his inspired designs as for the converse to occur.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Bedlamdan posted:

You can be wildcards while still having well defined themes which build a niche that doesn't innately poo poo all over every other character type.

One I've always wanted to see explored more is Solars as embodiments of virtue. Solars are classical tragic heroes, both empowered and undermined by their excess of some admirable human trait.

Brave Solars who draw power from taking bold risks.

Ascetic Solars whose serene wisdom sees that when the storm has passed only they will remain.

Devout Solars whose vows are law.

Caring Solars who strike down with great vengeance and terrible anger those who poison and destroy their brothers.

The chosen of the Sun, granted divine right to rule the age of man, are those who best express the human spirit. That should they prosper it shall be by their own merit, and should they fall it shall be by their own sins.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

A_Raving_Loon posted:

You can be wildcards while still having well defined themes which build a niche that doesn't innately poo poo all over every other character type.

One I've always wanted to see explored more is Solars as embodiments of virtue. Solars are classical tragic heroes, both empowered and undermined by their excess of some admirable human trait.

Brave Solars who draw power from taking bold risks.

Ascetic Solars whose serene wisdom sees that when the storm has passed only they will remain.

Devout Solars whose vows are law.

Caring Solars who strike down with great vengeance and terrible anger those who poison and destroy their brothers.

The chosen of the Sun, granted divine right to rule the age of man, are those who best express the human spirit. That should they prosper it shall be by their own merit, and should they fall it shall be by their own sins.

This poo poo owns. I will never shut up about how much I love Ancient Greek stuff, and I think this stuff is right on. There's also another angle for Solars which I think, like this angle, is sadly underutilized. Solars have the potential to be the Human Exalted. The Dragon-Blooded control elements and have the blood of the raw stuff of the world inside them, and they set themselves above the ordinary people of Creation. The Lunars shapeshift into various forms, and whether their true form is even human is debatable. Sidereals write names in the stars in order to be human-esque and will fail if they try to live out an entire life as a mortal. Infernals and Abyssals, as their exaltations have been corrupted, begin inhuman-ish and become more and more inhuman as they become more powerful. Liminals have being inhuman as a design focus, and Getimians and Alchemicals don't sound like contenders for the most human exalted.

This means that a Solar will never kill you with fire-bending or turn into a dinosaur absent powers external to himself. He'll never learn the truly inhuman kung-fu on his own, he'll never lose his ability to feel except through entirely human means, and he'll never morph into a demon-avatar. The Solar will always be a person. That person can become unbelievably talented, even "impossibly" talented at human pursuits, but they will always stay connected to that baseline of being a person who is extremely good at what they do in a way that the other Exalted leave behind.

I think this portrayal is interesting because it paints the Solars as underdogs in contrast to painting them as the guys with the win-button. The Solars are the returning legendary heroes, true, but they're just a small contingent of extraordinarily talented people lined up against the bewildering array of otherworldly monsters both inside and outside Creation. How could they possibly win and change Creation when so many have tried and failed?

How they make it happen is, I think, the paradigmatic Exalted campaign.

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013
Yeah, agree with the thought behind that.

IMHO Solars need a theme (or set of themes) with more restrictions than just Excellence.

Ideally in a way which allows other Exalt types to have some nice things too, but still preserve the sense that, with the return of the Solars, oh my gods poo poo is going to HAPPEN.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Dodge Charms posted:

Yeah, agree with the thought behind that.

IMHO Solars need a theme (or set of themes) with more restrictions than just Excellence.

Ideally in a way which allows other Exalt types to have some nice things too, but still preserve the sense that, with the return of the Solars, oh my gods poo poo is going to HAPPEN.

Solars probably benefited the most from power creep over time, and yes, I think their powers ought to be scaled back. I liked the look of the revised Taboo Inflicting Diatribe: instead of overturning a country after three hours of conversation with a nearby hobo, a Solar has to put some effort into it. It makes for a more interesting story.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I love A_Raving_Loon and MiltonSlavemasta's ideas, those would be much more compelling Solars.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Solars should definitely be The Best Ones and they should definitely succeed at stuff through a combination of unmatched skill and video game character special effects (i.e. unleashing an energy shockwave by swinging your sword or smashing entire formations apart by zooming at them on your horse). They're great and cool, and it's an important part of the Exalted setting that the absolute pinnacle of power lives inside the human condition rather than beyond it.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Ferrinus posted:

Solars should definitely be The Best Ones and they should definitely succeed at stuff through a combination of unmatched skill and video game character special effects (i.e. unleashing an energy shockwave by swinging your sword or smashing entire formations apart by zooming at them on your horse). They're great and cool, and it's an important part of the Exalted setting that the absolute pinnacle of power lives inside the human condition rather than beyond it.

Them being 'the best' has done terrible things to the setting and is the reason the splats are so spread out. As far as the power lying inside or outside the human condition, you kind of stop being human when you exalt, at least partially. The line has always been pretty firm on the whole 'you are a demigod' thing, and I honestly don't feel solars come off any more human than DBs or Siddies. Hell, with the crazy power they can get/had in the first age, solars routinely have come across as the most 'inhuman' of the main exalt types to me. When you can throw someone so hard they crack through the sky and land in hell the affairs of mortal men are pretty inconsequential.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

axelsoar posted:

Them being 'the best' has done terrible things to the setting and is the reason the splats are so spread out.

I'm pretty sure this is just wrong? Them being "the best" has in fact been the bedrock of the setting, and 2E largely got bad because the writers started assuming that Exalted were transhuman rather than superhuman - despite the fact that the existence of the Solars as the first and greatest Exalted cements the notion that exaltation means becoming magnified, not alien.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Solars would probably look a bit more unique if Lunars and Dragon-Blooded, the other two most "core" Exalted, got a decent Charmset that wasn't essentially a color-coded and slightly worse version of what Solars do.

"I am the best at Abilities" is more meaningful when other people get "I am a shapeshifter" and "I am a soldier of the elements" than it is when they get "I am best at Attributes" and "I am good at abilities, plus fire!"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It always really got me that the actual "Hurl a spear of fire" and "Command the motion of a fire" charms were so few and far between compared to the "hit someone in a sword... in way reminiscent of fire!!" charms. The Exalted team tends to scoff at the idea of making DBs more like [element]benders from that cartoon, but it doesn't really feel like playing a master of earth when you have to learn how to organize troops, how to set rally points, and how to design chains of command before you can learn how to summon rock walls out of the ground.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

It always really got me that the actual "Hurl a spear of fire" and "Command the motion of a fire" charms were so few and far between compared to the "hit someone in a sword... in way reminiscent of fire!!" charms. The Exalted team tends to scoff at the idea of making DBs more like [element]benders from that cartoon, but it doesn't really feel like playing a master of earth when you have to learn how to organize troops, how to set rally points, and how to design chains of command before you can learn how to summon rock walls out of the ground.
I'd say ideally the two would be more or less parallel; if your 'natural magic' is ENTIRELY 'special effects with the element' that could, itself, get kind of boring. However, there should be that initial core 'element crap' which has the metaphorical comparisons branch out from it. So for War, if it's still Earth-aspected, perhaps the initial charms involve things like road smoothing, orienteering, and making field fortifications, and from there you can branch out into crushing your enemies in the cracks of the Earth and/or being able to intuitively sense and communicate with every soldier standing on your chosen battlefield.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stormgale posted:

:words:

Have you considered making your own game, with blackjack and no hookers? Because I don't think you're going to get that in Exalted. :(

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

axelsoar posted:

Them being 'the best' has done terrible things to the setting and is the reason the splats are so spread out. As far as the power lying inside or outside the human condition, you kind of stop being human when you exalt, at least partially. The line has always been pretty firm on the whole 'you are a demigod' thing, and I honestly don't feel solars come off any more human than DBs or Siddies. Hell, with the crazy power they can get/had in the first age, solars routinely have come across as the most 'inhuman' of the main exalt types to me. When you can throw someone so hard they crack through the sky and land in hell the affairs of mortal men are pretty inconsequential.

There's a big difference between being the best and having stupidly overpowered charm effects that are so ridiculous they sound like fanfic. Solars as 'The Best' is one of the founding concepts of the game and in no way problematic when executed sensibly. Having a charm that lets you rip a hole in reality and shove someone into hell because they looked at you funny is the problem.

Also, I like Fire and Stones Strike and dislike Hero Walks Away. Hero Walks Away is someone going into tedious detail about exactly how my magic works (Someone telling ME how MY magic works?!). Whereas, Fire and Stones Strike just says that I hit the guy really hard and doesn't go much beyond that except to say that I might break mundane weapons.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

On that element idea thing, I'm trying to remember: Did the DBs have the ability to tell infallibly which way their elemental pole was, or something like that? If that is the case then anywhere two Dragon-Blooded of different aspects are gathered together, you have a system for accurate navigation. (Though for best results, get a Water/Wood and an Air/Fire.) This may be me being the grog, of course, although if that isn't an anima power it oughta be.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

Ithle01 posted:

There's a big difference between being the best and having stupidly overpowered charm effects that are so ridiculous they sound like fanfic. Solars as 'The Best' is one of the founding concepts of the game and in no way problematic when executed sensibly. Having a charm that lets you rip a hole in reality and shove someone into hell because they looked at you funny is the problem.

Also, I like Fire and Stones Strike and dislike Hero Walks Away. Hero Walks Away is someone going into tedious detail about exactly how my magic works (Someone telling ME how MY magic works?!). Whereas, Fire and Stones Strike just says that I hit the guy really hard and doesn't go much beyond that except to say that I might break mundane weapons.

I don't really like absolute best at everything because it ends up making character success feel very external. Batman is the absolute best detective because he's a genius who dedicates his life to his craft; that Solar is the absolute best detective because his tracking magic is more cost effective than the Infernal Joker's hiding magic.

They claim 3e is going to make Charms less "Solar Batman uses Super Magic" and more "This Charm is a representation of how awesome Solar Batman is at detectiving," but I'm skeptical of how this will actually be executed.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Ithle01 posted:

On one hand, ripping holes in the fabric of spacetime to hold you stuff is cool. That kind of ridiculous anime action has been foundational to the setting and it's why I and a lot of other people like the setting. On the other hand, I agree with you %100 on Heroes Walk Away. Holden has gone at length about how Charms should be complex and defined in terms of fluff and crunch because players will just reskin it anyway, and that's just wrong. Setting-wise, Heart Attacks gets it right, it's not a personal expression of a Solar's excellence, it just that he has a neat spellbook. Charms aren't supposed to be something a Solar learns. He doesn't need a teacher to ascend the Ride Charm tree, because the Ride Charm tree represents how Solars that are already incredibly good at riding naturally use their essence to improve their abilities. There's nothing natural or human about Hero Rides Away because the locus of all the magic there lies in the Sun and elsewhere. You can have cool abilities that are directly tied to the Solar himself.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Ferrinus posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just wrong? Them being "the best" has in fact been the bedrock of the setting, and 2E largely got bad because the writers started assuming that Exalted were transhuman rather than superhuman - despite the fact that the existence of the Solars as the first and greatest Exalted cements the notion that exaltation means becoming magnified, not alien.

Solars have to be 'the best', that means so many other charms can't be good because 'oh no! that is almost as good as a solar charm, better make it awful!' Look at the lunar charm tree from 2e, half that poo poo is essentially a worse version of a solar charm. DBs are even worse off since they need to be worse than lunars, so they were loaded with tons of charms that were barely functioning or painfully specific.

Hell, you can even keep the fluff about them being the best for all I care, just be sensible game devs and say the PCs are exceptional so splats of all types can play together.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Nessus posted:

On that element idea thing, I'm trying to remember: Did the DBs have the ability to tell infallibly which way their elemental pole was, or something like that? If that is the case then anywhere two Dragon-Blooded of different aspects are gathered together, you have a system for accurate navigation. (Though for best results, get a Water/Wood and an Air/Fire.) This may be me being the grog, of course, although if that isn't an anima power it oughta be.

Yes. Every exalt type had it's own little innate spend-one-mote power that did some little utility thing like this. Solars, Lunars and Siderals had internal clocks and callendars, DBs had natural compasses, and Abyssals and Infernals could both detect the presence of their respective other worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Yes. Every exalt type had it's own little innate spend-one-mote power that did some little utility thing like this. Solars, Lunars and Siderals had internal clocks and callendars, DBs had natural compasses, and Abyssals and Infernals could both detect the presence of their respective other worlds.

With just Wind-Carried Words and their capacity for natural navigation Dragon-Blooded officers could lead a force to victory on land or sea against any of Creation's mortal nations. They easily get the best innate anima trick.

This reminded me to reread parts of Savage Seas related to Creation's navigation traditions for our own game. Our circle is extremely sedentary, so stuff like this hasn't come up much, but Houses Peleps and Vneef are showing up more frequently. We've been discussing whether all jade compasses point to the Pole of Earth, for instance; if different compasses point to different poles based on the color of jade used, you could have mortals competing with the Imperial Navy a bit better.

• Locked thread