Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tingles
Jul 26, 2006

This is my morning go-to favorite thread because I have learned a lot from the legal goons that post frequently. Thank you all for helping. However, as much as I enjoy Angry Hippo's arrogance and ignorance, may I please interrupt with a quick question?

Fairfax County, Virginia. HOA issue-

I was cited for having gas cans "touching" my back fence, but on the common ground. They are not mine, nor do I know how they got there, nor who put them there (and technically they are more on my neighbors side, but he didn't get a citation.) The issue is however, that I have been cited for them. I have dealt with other minor citations before (every single one was remedied timely), but it takes a complete pain in the rear end of time, phone calls, pictures, receipts, etc., to prove that the work was done. Thing is, I didn't put these gas cans there and it is on common ground. Why the hell should I have to deal with this? Should I kick them away from the fence, take a pic and tell them to gently caress off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Have you told the hoa that they are not your cans?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
gently caress it why not.

Angry nerdo posted:

The company president responded with a settlement offer for 85% of my original asking amount.

I am incredibly smug knowing that you are so incredibly wrong. Wrong. WRONG.

Perhaps I am incredibly lucky, perhaps all these "lawyers" don't really know poo poo.

I would be grateful if you'd post an update in the thread for me.

Incredibly.

Tingles
Jul 26, 2006

Not yet, as I received the letter today. Point is proving that they aren't mine. Just wanted advice before I call on Monday.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tingles posted:

This is my morning go-to favorite thread because I have learned a lot from the legal goons that post frequently. Thank you all for helping. However, as much as I enjoy Angry Hippo's arrogance and ignorance, may I please interrupt with a quick question?

I was cited for having gas cans "touching" my back fence, but on the common ground. They are not mine, nor do I know how they got there, nor who put them there (and technically they are more on my neighbors side, but he didn't get a citation.) The issue is however, that I have been cited for them. I have dealt with other minor citations before (every single one was remedied timely), but it takes a complete pain in the rear end of time, phone calls, pictures, receipts, etc., to prove that the work was done. Thing is, I didn't put these gas cans there and it is on common ground. Why the hell should I have to deal with this? Should I kick them away from the fence, take a pic and tell them to gently caress off?

IANAL. Tell them they aren't yours. Throw them away if it makes your HOA happy. If they don't believe you, paying the fine is probably going to be the simplest course of action unless its stupid money. If they won't do the nice thing and believe you, if its under $100 I'd pay it to make the problem go away.

Tingles posted:

Not yet, as I received the letter today. Point is proving that they aren't mine. Just wanted advice before I call on Monday.

There is probably no reasonable way to prove they aren't yours unless you happen to have surveillance cameras.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Go put them on the Homeowner's Association president's back fence and then have him cited for it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Runic Edge posted:

Got a quick question. I am tangentally related to a case concerning criminal threat. From what I understand, even if the accused threatener is totally acquited of all charges and nothing sticks, not only do they still face penalties in some states for merely being put up for a possible felony, but any fees incrued such as bail/legal fees/etc. is on their shoulder to pay, with the defense paying nothing but their own legal fees (which will probably be much smaller) unless verifiably proved they put forth the accusation while knowing it was false. And even then it is iffy.

So I'm left wondering, why not just accuse anyone you hate of criminal threat? For some people, just the bail cost can ruin your life for a long time, and that all occurs before you even get to the question of innocence or guilt. Even without it a person gets some rights stripped for life. I just want to know if it's really that hopeless and ruthless or if I am talking out of my rear end and missing something.

If it matters, it's in the area of California.

Besides the slim possibility of being prosecuted for filing a false report (unlikely unless you accuse a cop), little.
Want to be on a jury?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Diplomaticus posted:

gently caress it why not.

Incredibly.

See. That's the best part. By making these poo poo settlement offers, companies are winning. They're still paying less than what they owe otherwise.

And people like Angry Hippo think they "win".

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

an unpretty misfit posted:

Apologies if this has been addressed previously in this thread, though I've just received a final hearing notice, regarding a default judgement related to a house I had foreclosed upon in Florida nearly two years ago. I no longer live in Florida, and am not at all sure as to how I should proceed. Would deeply appreciate any advice you all might have! Thank you!

Consult a lawyer local to the jurisdiction ASAP. Ask about "Deficiency Judgments".

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tingles posted:

HOAs are self contained entities, with only the powers designated them by their articles of incorporation, and/or the deed restrictions that all the homes in the neighborhood are subject to. Just call someone, or show up at the next meeting, and explain your situation. Be nice about it, the dude who saw the gas cans and thought they were yours is one of your neighbors.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Runic Edge posted:

Got a quick question. I am tangentally related to a case concerning criminal threat. From what I understand, even if the accused threatener is totally acquited of all charges and nothing sticks, not only do they still face penalties in some states for merely being put up for a possible felony, but any fees incrued such as bail/legal fees/etc. is on their shoulder to pay, with the defense paying nothing but their own legal fees (which will probably be much smaller) unless verifiably proved they put forth the accusation while knowing it was false. And even then it is iffy.

So I'm left wondering, why not just accuse anyone you hate of criminal threat? For some people, just the bail cost can ruin your life for a long time, and that all occurs before you even get to the question of innocence or guilt. Even without it a person gets some rights stripped for life. I just want to know if it's really that hopeless and ruthless or if I am talking out of my rear end and missing something.

If it matters, it's in the area of California.

First of all, not every accusation of a crime is prosecuted, or even investigated. Police and District Attorneys don't just absolutely accept the word of every purported victim that calls in. In the ideal world, they investigate crimes, and only seek to prosecute if there is solid evidence. Further, DAs aren't interested in losing cases, so they generally won't pursue cases they don't think they can win.

Also, defamation per se is a common law tort in many states. It means that if you make a claim that inhenerntly defames my character, or specifically that I performed a criminal act, without justification for your statement, you could be subject to civil damages. also, filing a false report to authorities is a crime in, and of itself

Finally, it's hard to imagine a world where there is a good reason to waltz around, trying to destroy other people's lives...

Edit: you get the bail you post back so long as you show up to court.. Also, public defenders exist for a reason.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 21, 2013

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

blarzgh posted:

Edit: you get the bail you post back so long as you show up to court.. Also, public defenders exist for a reason.

Not everyone can afford to have thousands of dollars tied up for months, so they have to pay the 10% for a bail bond.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

Also, public defenders exist for a reason.

A: You have to be really, really poor to qualify for a PD.
B: We charge you on the back end.

an unpretty misfit
Nov 24, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Consult a lawyer local to the jurisdiction ASAP. Ask about "Deficiency Judgments".

Thank you for responding! I literally thought this was a deficiency judgement, when in actuality, it's a hearing related to the final foreclosure on the property, which I thought had taken place ages ago. I'm dumb as rocks, and will be retaining an attorney tomorrow. :p

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for the feedback! It's much appreciated.

Ashcans posted:

Where did your colleague even find this guy?

The internet. :smith: He found the dude on some official website that listed immigration attorneys, but who knows if it was actually "official" or not.

Thanks again goons!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Angry Hippo has been PMing me too.

Angry Hippo posted:

Because "winning"is really about giving half of what your owed to a lawyer instead

Captainscraps posted:

Nah attorney's fees are awarded in employment lawsuits according to federal statutes.

Also 30% before suit is filed if it settles.

Kisses

Angry Hippo posted:

best case fantasy scenario, get your head out of your rear end

Captainscraps posted:

You are not a lawyer. You're not as good as me. You're not as smart as me.

Meow meow

I love this game.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Angry Hippo what would it take for you to buy me platinum so you can PM me

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

Angry Hippo has been PMing me too.

I love this game.

make him send you a picture of the settlement check.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bro Enlai posted:

Angry Hippo what would it take for you to buy me platinum so you can PM me

Threaten to sue him for $11.71, obviously.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

IANAL. Tell them they aren't yours. Throw them away if it makes your HOA happy. If they don't believe you, paying the fine is probably going to be the simplest course of action unless its stupid money. If they won't do the nice thing and believe you, if its under $100 I'd pay it to make the problem go away.
IANAL, however, while this would solve the short-term issue, given that you presumably have to continue living in your house under the auspices of this HOA, it seems like a bad idea long-term to establish a precedent of being willing to take the blame/responsibility for other peoples' messes in common areas.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
OK, so filing in magistrate court (Dekalb County in GA) seems pretty straightforward. The fees are also less than I expected. I do have a couple of questions, though, if anyone can answer them.

1. I'm not sure exactly what to ask for. Technically, they have partially paid what they owe me by sending me a smaller check than I was entitled to for the work. The claim form asks for a specific dollar amount. Should this be the difference between what I've been paid, and what is owed? Should it be the gross wages (i.e. before taxes; there wasn't any other withholding going on like insurance or retirement)? I have a paper pay statement with the incorrect amount (minimum wage), but correct number of hours worked that I can use to calculate what I should get instead.

2. Am I better off getting a lawyer involved in this? My employment agreement was very simple, but did say that it could only be terminated by me with two weeks notice, although in Georgia (at will state) I'm not sure if that would hold up, especially considering that the agreement stated that they could terminate it any time they wanted for any reason. Notably, the agreement did not discuss any sort of penalty or really any consequences at all for not giving notice. The portion that discusses my pay does include a nebulous "according to company policy" after the rate, but I was never given any sort of documentation that might support them docking my final check (as an established company policy). There is also no issue of company property that hasn't been returned, because they never issued anything to me.

The other reason I'd consider getting a lawyer involved is because I would assume that if judgement is awarded in my favor, attorney's fees in addition to the filing fees could be awarded. If I can stick it to them, why not? I know of a very good lawyer in my area that family members use and I think he would probably take the case.

3. Probably only if I do get a lawyer because I recognize this might be complicated, can I seek additional damages for the financial hardship caused by receiving a significantly smaller (about a third of what I should have received) check? For example, my car payment is late. I had to pay a late fee. I would have been able to pay it if I had been paid correctly. Every day that goes by without that money makes things more difficult, and it's likely there will be additional, similar consequences. Of course, I would expect to only be able to recover things that I can show documentation for.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Powdered Toast Man posted:

OK, so filing in magistrate court (Dekalb County in GA) seems pretty straightforward. The fees are also less than I expected. I do have a couple of questions, though, if anyone can answer them.

1. I'm not sure exactly what to ask for. Technically, they have partially paid what they owe me by sending me a smaller check than I was entitled to for the work. The claim form asks for a specific dollar amount. Should this be the difference between what I've been paid, and what is owed? Should it be the gross wages (i.e. before taxes; there wasn't any other withholding going on like insurance or retirement)? I have a paper pay statement with the incorrect amount (minimum wage), but correct number of hours worked that I can use to calculate what I should get instead.

2. Am I better off getting a lawyer involved in this? My employment agreement was very simple, but did say that it could only be terminated by me with two weeks notice, although in Georgia (at will state) I'm not sure if that would hold up, especially considering that the agreement stated that they could terminate it any time they wanted for any reason. Notably, the agreement did not discuss any sort of penalty or really any consequences at all for not giving notice. The portion that discusses my pay does include a nebulous "according to company policy" after the rate, but I was never given any sort of documentation that might support them docking my final check (as an established company policy). There is also no issue of company property that hasn't been returned, because they never issued anything to me.

The other reason I'd consider getting a lawyer involved is because I would assume that if judgement is awarded in my favor, attorney's fees in addition to the filing fees could be awarded. If I can stick it to them, why not? I know of a very good lawyer in my area that family members use and I think he would probably take the case.

3. Probably only if I do get a lawyer because I recognize this might be complicated, can I seek additional damages for the financial hardship caused by receiving a significantly smaller (about a third of what I should have received) check? For example, my car payment is late. I had to pay a late fee. I would have been able to pay it if I had been paid correctly. Every day that goes by without that money makes things more difficult, and it's likely there will be additional, similar consequences. Of course, I would expect to only be able to recover things that I can show documentation for.

1. If the check has cleared, you have to ask for the difference between what you are owed and what you've been paid. But you can add court & filing costs and fees to it as well (say $X principal plus $Y court costs and fees plus ongoing court costs and fees, or something to that effect).

2. If it's not that much money, it's probably not worth getting a lawyer involved. Feel free to ask the family friend lawyer for a consult, but if it's less than $10k I wouldn't think it's worth it. Attorney's fees are probably not available, but it depends on your contract & state law questions that I don't know the answer to.

3. That stuff is "consequential damages" (i.e. loss unique to you as a consequence of their breach). Consequential damages are usually not available, unless they had some reason to know that you were likely to suffer them. (i.e. you told them that you were relying on the check to pay your car payment or something like that) Don't expect they're coming your way.

InsomnicIneptitude
Jun 25, 2013

TY for no bm
Can someone explain what employers are allowed to ask for in terms of being charged of past crimes? If a charge is dismissed, do I have to report that to an employer?

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
I'm in Massachusetts. I received a letter from the DA notifying me that I was a witness to a crime, (I was the one that called the police in a domestic assault case, although I was not assaulted) when the per-trail date was, and that I did not have to be in court for it. I filled out the form giving my mailing address and checked the box that I wanted a follow-up letter regarding the case once it was done. I also followed the DA's instructions and mailed in my written statement to the police which I made right after the incident, in case I needed it for whatever reason later on. The pre-trial, which I did not attend, was a month ago and I have not heard or received anything from the DA. I called the office and gave my address again just to make sure they got my form, and they left me a message only telling me they received the phone call with the address and nothing else. What's going on?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

rivid posted:

I'm in Massachusetts. I received a letter from the DA notifying me that I was a witness to a crime, (I was the one that called the police in a domestic assault case, although I was not assaulted) when the per-trail date was, and that I did not have to be in court for it. I filled out the form giving my mailing address and checked the box that I wanted a follow-up letter regarding the case once it was done. I also followed the DA's instructions and mailed in my written statement to the police which I made right after the incident, in case I needed it for whatever reason later on. The pre-trial, which I did not attend, was a month ago and I have not heard or received anything from the DA. I called the office and gave my address again just to make sure they got my form, and they left me a message only telling me they received the phone call with the address and nothing else. What's going on?

If the prosecution intends to call you as a witness, they should notify you first. It sounds like they have you on the potential witness list for now. If the defendant pleads out, then they will have no use for you. If you're curious, you could look the case up on your county justice department website, and see when trial is set for. You might get a better idea of when, and if you'll be needed.

Goon NM should be able to provide you with more specifics.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

InsomnicIneptitude posted:

Can someone explain what employers are allowed to ask for in terms of being charged of past crimes? If a charge is dismissed, do I have to report that to an employer?

I'm reasonably certain that it depends on the state. In my state, they can ask for whatever they want, but as a general rule, here they only ask about crimes you've been convicted of. Although I've seen one ask about charges before.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

In my experience, failure to give two weeks notice forfeits your right to the last two weeks of pay, as a breach of the terms of the contract. Yours may say something different, or be silent on that specific point, but that's what I would expect the employer to say in its own defense.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

In my experience, failure to give two weeks notice forfeits your right to the last two weeks of pay, as a breach of the terms of the contract. Yours may say something different, or be silent on that specific point, but that's what I would expect the employer to say in its own defense.
IANAL, but that sounds like crazy talk. You are entitled to your pay for the time you worked, pretty much always. At least in the U.S. Two weeks' notice is generally a courtesy, not a requirement.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

blarzgh posted:

It sounds like you're talking about severance pay, which is completely optional in the US and would have to be part of an employment contract. As for wages due for work actually performed, the employer can't just decide not to pay the last few days of actual work performed because the employee didn't give two full weeks' notice.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Yeah, there might be a couple of "right to work" states where specific employment contracts are common and you could suffer consequences for failing to give notice...that is not the case in Georgia.

Welp, looks like I'll self file. I've been emailing them...should I send them a certified letter as one last warning, or just file and wait for them to respond to the claim?

Edit: Sent a demand letter; Thanks for the advice, guys.

Powdered Toast Man fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 23, 2013

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
So the girl that I was subleasing my apartment from for like a year and a half has suddenly ceased contact with me when it was time to pay back my $700 security deposit. We have everything in writing so I don't know what she's thinking, we've had a good relationship this whole time, and she's never been like this before so it kind of took a while before I started worrying.

What steps should I take? I have all her contact info (email, phone, home address). She lives in California and I'm in NYC. How often should I attempt to email/text/call? Should I send a certified letter to her house or something like that? I'm really not sure what type of actions to take here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How much does she owe you? Or do you just owe her the 700?

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
She owes us $700, we are no longer subleasing from her (officially on the real lease in the same apartment).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ibntumart posted:

It sounds like you're talking about severance pay, which is completely optional in the US and would have to be part of an employment contract. As for wages due for work actually performed, the employer can't just decide not to pay the last few days of actual work performed because the employee didn't give two full weeks' notice.

Not severance pay; its generally accepted that if two weeks notice is given, then you won't be fired on the spot and not paid for the next two weeks. If the contract requires he provides two weeks notice, without a reciprocal obligation by the company, then the term isn't binding. If it was a salaried gig, or came with vacation time, the contract might say something different; then he could theoretically not work for the last two weeks, and still get paid... unless under the terms of the contract, he failed to give two weeks notice.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

A will can direct any disposition of property at the time of your death. The thing is, that anyone who is entitled to take under probate can simply refuse to accept the property. At that point, it would be up to the executor of your estate to decide what to do with the property.

A will protects your desired recipient of the property from the claims of another who wants the property. If you give the fish to your mom, without a will, then your wife or children (if so existing), could demand them upon your death. If you don't make specific provisions for the fish in your will, then the executor or the court would decide who gets them.

If its a legitimate concern that someone else may want the fish, besides who you intend to give them to, Then you probably need a will. If your estate is complex, or you have kids or a wife, or your parents are separated or estranged, then you might need an attorney.

I mentioned all this to my mom (I am not married and have no kids) and she mentioned going through a service like LegalZoom rather than a probate lawyer. Is LegalZoom even considered binding in a court?

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mentioned all this to my mom (I am not married and have no kids) and she mentioned going through a service like LegalZoom rather than a probate lawyer. Is LegalZoom even considered binding in a court?

As long as you make the necessary declarations under your state's law, you can write your own will on a coconut shell (or a tractor fender) if you wish. The advantage of going with a live lawyer rather than a site like LegalZoom is that the lawyer can give you more targeted advice. Also, if the lawyer screws up you can sue them for malpractice--not sure how LegalZoom handles that kind of thing.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

spatula posted:

So the girl that I was subleasing my apartment from for like a year and a half has suddenly ceased contact with me when it was time to pay back my $700 security deposit. We have everything in writing so I don't know what she's thinking, we've had a good relationship this whole time, and she's never been like this before so it kind of took a while before I started worrying.

What steps should I take? I have all her contact info (email, phone, home address). She lives in California and I'm in NYC. How often should I attempt to email/text/call? Should I send a certified letter to her house or something like that? I'm really not sure what type of actions to take here.

Ok so no one really responded to this yet but I just wanted to add that today I have emailed/called/texted/FB messaged her. I really think it might be time to take the next step of sending a scary sounding letter threatening legal action. How the heck do I do this?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

spatula posted:

Ok so no one really responded to this yet but I just wanted to add that today I have emailed/called/texted/FB messaged her. I really think it might be time to take the next step of sending a scary sounding letter threatening legal action. How the heck do I do this?

Send angry hippo a pm. He'll tell you how to scare them straight.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not sure how worried a person in CA is going to be over a 700 judgment from NY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

euphronius posted:

Not sure how worried a person in CA is going to be over a 700 judgment from NY.

Well obviously I don't know what I'm doing or should be doing, that's why I am asking this thread about it?

Anyway someone actually texted me back from her number and apparently it's her dad's number now. I called, thinking that was just some bullshit, and some dude actually answered claiming to be her dad and he didn't seem to know about any of this stuff, so I filled him in a little... he told me that he would email her telling her to get in touch with me. So I guess that's uh, something.

But then if I still don't hear from her I don't know what to do. Bother her dad? Contact a lawyer? Sorry, I'm dumb

spatula fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 23, 2013