Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hong shao rou hongshaorouhongshaorou it's pork belly simmered lo-o-o-ng in dark soy, sugar, spices and ginger, it's so loving porky and sticky and good and nom nom nom

I don't know if it's something you'd find on a restaurant menu in the West since it's a braised dish that can't really be made to order, so you'd better sell off that batch you're making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hong shao ruo is so amazing and I keep buying kilos of pork belly so I can make more and more.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thought hong shao rou is from Hunan :shrug: It's all northern to me

toplitzin posted:

Turns out the owners of the place by my house are from Shanghai.

We're friendly enough that I'm willing to ask about off menu items.
What's something good that probably isn't on the menu from the shanghai area?

I was thinking about the crispy fried chicken posted in this thread, complete with attempting to write it on a post it note, but I'm game for anything.

You don't have to be friendly to order off menu items. I'm sure Chefs are actually glad to make something different without bastardizing the cuisine and any chef worth his salt should be able to make a few home town favourites.

I was stuck eating Chinese 5 days in a row at the same restaurant when I was in Berlin :suicide: My coworkers were over joyed to hear that the chef was from our same home town. I just closed my menu and tried asking for off menu items. If you want custom menu or special items just ask ahead next time. gently caress my co workers for eating only Chinese.

Caberham's Shanghai picks:

• 蔥油餅 Easy to make home recipe, Scallion pan cakes. cong you bing.
  • 小籠包 of course! Xiao long bao soup dumplings. :rock:
  • 獅子頭, shi zi tou, lion's head - giant braised pork balls.
  • 生煎包, sheng jian bao, similar to the soup dumplings but fried; the dough is thicker and is soupier.
  • Do you have access to fresh seafood? Drunk Shrimp, or crab is great!
  • A bottle of 黃酒 Huang jiu, yellow wine; 14%-20%. It's not that strong and has a nice aroma to it. Really easy to go down, deceptive.
  • If they are from the Eastern Coastal regions, the chef should have a slice of cured ham ready or salted pork. Ask for yi dou xie soup (Yeah it's Hangzhou)

Always Mistaken for Shanghai, when it's actually from Ningbo (close enough) - but the fried dough cakes, 炒年糕 chao nian gao.

Comedy Option - Dessert or some weird rice is Eight treasure rice, 八寶飯 ba bao fan. It's sweet glutinous rice with some fruits inside. If you can stock up on Chinese cooking ingredients like soy sauces and vinegar you should be fine and at least get some of the recipes.

MY GIRLFRIEND is from Hangzhou and she gets really uppity if I ever mix up or refer all the food there as Shanghai cuisine.

caberham fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 8, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

I thought to too, I asked my friend and he told me it was 高丽菜:eng99: (just like nian gao!)

Shengjian Bao and Shizi Tou are my favorite Shanghai dishes by a mile. They both take a loooong time to make though so they're not the best things to just drop in and order if they don't have anything prepared.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Hey all, quick question that pertains to Xi'an/Shaanxi food.

I was in east LA recently and went to Xi'an Kitchen (anyone from LA been here? Gravity?) which was phenomenal and two of their dishes specifically blew me away: their rou jia mo and their you po mian.

Pretty sure the noodle sauce was just oil/fat from the rou jia mo meat with some sichuan peppercorns and maybe red pepper, scallions, but I couldn't place the other flavors. It wasn't very spicy and the sichuan peppercorns weren't strong enough to make my tongue tingle/go numb, but the flavor was amazing.

So I ask: does anyone have good tips/recipes for rou jia mo meat/filling or you po mian? Or any other tasty Shaanxi dishes I could try to make? Thanks!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Amergin posted:

Hey all, quick question that pertains to Xi'an/Shaanxi food.

I was in east LA recently and went to Xi'an Kitchen (anyone from LA been here? Gravity?) which was phenomenal and two of their dishes specifically blew me away: their rou jia mo and their you po mian.

Pretty sure the noodle sauce was just oil/fat from the rou jia mo meat with some sichuan peppercorns and maybe red pepper, scallions, but I couldn't place the other flavors. It wasn't very spicy and the sichuan peppercorns weren't strong enough to make my tongue tingle/go numb, but the flavor was amazing.

So I ask: does anyone have good tips/recipes for rou jia mo meat/filling or you po mian? Or any other tasty Shaanxi dishes I could try to make? Thanks!

There are a lot of types of Roujiamo but given the place is called Xi'an Kitchen there's a good chance you had the Hui (Muslim) version, which generally uses lamb and sometimes beef as the meat. I like this version more than the fatty pork stewed for 2 days version, so I know how to make it. It's super simple.

Just get some lamb and slice it really, really thin.

Get your wok and oil really hot, add in some green onions/scallions, sichuan peppercorn and dried chilies to taste.

Add in a little more oil, then your meat. It should be really thin and cook very quickly.

After it's browned, add in a little light soy sauce, cumin and ground pepper. You can also add some shaoxing wine at this point if you want, but not much. You want to keep it going till most of the liquid is gone. You can add sugar or MSG to taste if you fancy them.

Turn off the heat, add in some sliced up lettuce, and stir it all up. You're done!

If you're interested in making the buns, I know how to make those too. "Real" bread for this will either be roasted in a big brick oven or even steamed, but since most Chinese homes can't really do either of those well, I'm used to the fried version.

Get 500g flour, 1g salt, 5g baking powder, 250g warm water.

Mix it all up, let it rise. It's best if you wait overnight.

Once that's done, get the dough into a cylinder about the circumference of the buns you want and slice them up a little thinner than you'd want the buns to be. Let the slices sit for about 10 minutes before frying.

Get a flat pan (cast iron is best) and get some oil heated up under a LOW flame. Put the dough in and fry for about 6 minutes on each side. The sides should have a good golden-brown to them but not be burnt, and it should have been thin enough that it cooks all the way through.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Amergin posted:

Can't help you with recipes, but drat that place looks good. Next time I'm over there I'll have to check it out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

There are a lot of types of Roujiamo but given the place is called Xi'an Kitchen there's a good chance you had the Hui (Muslim) version, which generally uses lamb and sometimes beef as the meat. I like this version more than the fatty pork stewed for 2 days version, so I know how to make it. It's super simple.

Thank you for this, Hui roujiamo is one of my favorite things and I've been meaning to make it. I've looked at recipes but this one compels me to do it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

It is but for some reason it's not very good. It's super fatty and not sweet at all and the sauce is quite thin. Maybe it's like the prototype that got worked into something better by later adopters.

Really if you bite into something and it's the least bit sweet you can be sure it's not from Hunan province. They love it hot and sour.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
I just started working my first job in market research in Shanghai, and I've been getting sidetracked by a bunch of weird, interesting articles that you just don't see in the US.

The highlight from today was "List of China's Top Ten Noodles Released!", a report from the first Culture of Chinese Noodles Festival on the best noodles in China.

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/food/2013-07/09/content_16751588.htm

People here are pretty upset at saozi mian being left off the list, I really have no idea what the judging criteria was, all I know is pretty much all Chinese noodles are rad.

I've never had aozao mian before, it looks and sounds amazing, though, I need to see if I can find some place around me that serves it, I can't find any easily-decipherable recipes.

Crown Face fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 11, 2013

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
Hey guys. My friends and I have been trying some chinese cooking and we've been using one friend's wok, which came with this thing:

Is this thing some sort of traditional implement or is it just totally made up and goofy and useless? We use it to mix and stir stuff and to scrape the bottom because we don't actually have a wok spatula.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
My dad said it is some kind of whisk or beater.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

It looks to me like a really bad strainer for when you deep-fry stuff in the wok, I don't know how that thing could be used as a whisk.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I live in China and I have never seen one of those. You don't need a "wok spatula" just get yourself a wooden spatula.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
Well, my dad also has a habit of not admitting when he doesn't know something... yea.

VVV Well, I guess the old guy was right. How about that. That thing is way down the list of accesories I would want with a wok.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 22, 2013

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Definitely a really cheap/strange spider for removing fried foods.

Edit: OK, nevermind. Weird.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 24, 2013

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
It is a dough whisk and I don't know why it came with a wok.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

For whipping together deep frying batter? (As opposed to, y'know, just using a pair of cooking chopsticks like the entirety of East Asia).

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

Thank you, thread, for introducing me to the Angry Lady, to Sichuan peppers, and all the other goodies that are stuffing my pantry and fridge. Also, that A Bite of China series that was linked is phenomenal.

What are your recommendations for big gently caress-off cleavers? Ep. 05 of the A Bite of China series showed some incredible knife work, and I'd be interested in getting a proper one.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Zeithos posted:

Thank you, thread, for introducing me to the Angry Lady, to Sichuan peppers, and all the other goodies that are stuffing my pantry and fridge. Also, that A Bite of China series that was linked is phenomenal.

What are your recommendations for big gently caress-off cleavers? Ep. 05 of the A Bite of China series showed some incredible knife work, and I'd be interested in getting a proper one.

The CCK small clever is a great and affordable introduction to carbon steel cleavers. I'd get one of those, personally. It's not a meat cleaver though, if you're after a meat cleaver Asian markets should carry "Kiwi" brand meat cleavers. They're like 10bux and are very good. My mom has one that is older than me that they brought here from the Philippines.

Edit for links:

CCK small cleaver: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckcleaver2.html
Kiwi Meat Cleaver: http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/cleavers/thai-kiwi-knives.html

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 26, 2013

96 BELOW THE WAVE
Sep 12, 2011

all your prayers must seem as nothing

The CCK looks perfect, thanks!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
What's the difference between the angry lady sauce with just a red label (I see the character for soybean 豆) and the one with a green bar on top (i see peanuts in it).

Also, shanxi extra mature vinegar I see my lovely Sichuan lady using it in the 麻辣汤面 and 温面, I think that's right I'm sort of working off the spoken Korean name for it, and other noodle stuff. How would I begin using this, I assume it's not the same as black vinegar.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Just different stuff inside. In China proper she has a whole shelf of different varieties. The biggest difference is some are just straight chilies and some have bean paste in them. 豆豉 are the bean paste varieties.

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.
can anyone recommend any youtube channels a la 'cooking with dog' but with chinese food? I've been watching 'cooking with yan' here and there but the channels aren't exactly complete. thanks!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

themongol posted:

can anyone recommend any youtube channels a la 'cooking with dog' but with chinese food? I've been watching 'cooking with yan' here and there but the channels aren't exactly complete. thanks!

Personally I always liked this Cantonese lady, wantanmien for good videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naNB9-0moBs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

She has a ton of dim sum and other various videos. There are usually English subtitles as a closed caption choice, I think. They are kind of like the weird low budget cousin of cooking with dog, but interesting none the less.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

themongol posted:

For some kind of fetish or something?
If for recipes or foods, I usually look up Dunlop, Ken Hom, Ching He Huang, Kylie Kwong.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 28, 2013

themongol
Apr 30, 2006
Let us celebrate our agreement with the adding of chocolate to milk.

hallo spacedog posted:

She has a ton of dim sum and other various videos. There are usually English subtitles as a closed caption choice, I think. They are kind of like the weird low budget cousin of cooking with dog, but interesting none the less.

Thanks!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

hallo spacedog posted:

She apparently personally emails and thanks everyone who subscribes to her. What a nice lady. :unsmith:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Nickoten posted:

She apparently personally emails and thanks everyone who subscribes to her. What a nice lady. :unsmith:

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that because I've been watching her for a while. She emailed me back when I subscribed too. It's great.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I turned on auto-captions for that video by accident and it is way too entertaining. "Panic attacks and track quite intrigued, the airline is safe. Projects: strategy man dot com."

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Magna Kaser posted:

Just different stuff inside. In China proper she has a whole shelf of different varieties. The biggest difference is some are just straight chilies and some have bean paste in them. 豆豉 are the bean paste varieties.
In Nebraska they have a whole shelf for her stuff in the Chinese grocery I frequent. Never checked the other ones but the variety is pretty impressive.

Speaking of that, a new Chinese restaurant opened up and they serve pretty drat good and authentic stuff, so I tried their shredded pork in garlic sauce. Mine looks and tastes exactly like it. A proud culinary moment :china:

hallo spacedog posted:

Oh this is awesome. Thanks!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I just bought a Wok from Chinatown and for some reason when I took it out of the plastic wrap it has some sort of oil on it. I can wipe this off right? Or am I suppose to season it with this? Or something.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hollis posted:

I just bought a Wok from Chinatown and for some reason when I took it out of the plastic wrap it has some sort of oil on it. I can wipe this off right? Or am I suppose to season it with this? Or something.

It's probably residue from the manufacturing process. Should be food safe so you can either season with it or wipe it off and season with another oil.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that because I've been watching her for a while. She emailed me back when I subscribed too. It's great.

Yeah, she thanked me for subbing and then I told her what I had made and my family's reception and she wrote a nice little letter back. Very cool lady with very good recipes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's probably residue from the manufacturing process. Should be food safe so you can either season with it or wipe it off and season with another oil.

Noo it's likely not food safe and is there to keep the carbon steel from rusting. You need to wash it off very well and then do your seasoning regimen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah it smells like gun oil so I wasn't going to season with it.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
Most things I've read say you should boil water in the wok to loosen that stuff, and then scrape it off with steel wool before you even consider cooking in or seasoning your wok. Yeah, get rid of it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I washed the hell out of it and scrubbed scrubbed scrubbed. Then I seasoned it so that worked , here's my problem. My wok won't get hot enough , I just realized that my cover for my gas stove keeps the flame away, but when I set it directly on the burner it kind of wobbles. I was thinking do I need to get one of those wok rings? I read that taking the grill thing off and setting it on a smaller burner may work better but I am unsure.

It cooked it but not at like "wok" speed. I made the beef and broccoli with oyster sauce although in the marinade I did just use five spice. It still tasted really loving good though.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
Wok ring's a good idea. Try to get one like this, though. If it's closed, my understanding is that the heat can reflect back and damage the stove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
So in reading about chinese cuisine and culture, I'm really interested in the balancing of the five tastes, but much more so in the four natures. Does anyone know of any good resources that provide more info on this balance?