Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Hah. There are plenty of times when San Jose looks like that.

etalian posted:

I like the article on apartments of the future for the Bay Area:
(Only $1600 a month)

Holy poo poo, it's Koren Dallas's apartment from The Fifth Element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
What does Bakersfield and Fresno's air look like?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What does Bakersfield and Fresno's air look like?

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/Air-quality-takes-toll-on-people-with-respitory-problems-137463723.html

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
You can really taste the insecticides and particles of cow poo poo.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I've lived near Fresno (not even in it, one of the smaller, even shittier, cities within 50 miles of it) for over a year now. It is pretty loving awful. The redeeming qualities are 1) some of California's cheapest housing, 2) good produce, and 3) there are some truly awesome places within 4 hours driving distance [LA, Bay Area, Sacramento, Yosemite/Sierra]. I don't think I can live here forever though. My agency has a hiring freeze right now (thank you House Republicans) so I'm hoping as soon as that is lifted I'm out of here.

Those micro apartments are also awesome.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

etalian posted:

I like the article on apartments of the future for the Bay Area:
(Only $1600 a month)

The Bay Area's future being Hong Kong's present sounds about right.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Family Values posted:

The Bay Area's future being Hong Kong's present sounds about right.

Rabbit cage housing for only $1200 a month.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

etalian posted:

Rabbit cage housing for only $1200 a month.

Still better than paying a $1200/mo mortgage for a McMansion in Tracy or Patterson or some poo poo like that.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

rope kid posted:

I'm originally from Wisconsin and I wound up buying a house for my parents to live in (there) back in 2005. I thought maybe CA prices would come down into an affordable range after the crash but... nope! At this rate, I'll never own a home in CA and may one day wind up heading back to WI.

My plan is quite similar - I have a separate account where each month a chunk of money goes to live for retirement housing. I live in Irvine, home of the $600k 1.5-bedroom condominium, so it's just not feasible to responsibly buy a house on a single person's budget. My double-income friends make me jealous sometimes. :( The other option (if I get too addicted to easy access to ethnic diversity) is to try and find a little house somewhere up in central CA (Paso Robles would be pretty much perfect.

I think the biggest thing I miss (having grown up in Minnesota) is the easy access to a yard. Having an actual dog-sized dog down here just isn't realistic or fair to the animal when you can't let them out back to run around.

quote:

North Coast's Old Rasputin is probably the best Imperial Stout (from California). Lagunitas is up north too. Firestone Walker is kind of central.

We've also got The Bruery with Black Tuesday, so I think we win the Imperial Stout wars easily (let alone beer as a whole, given Lost Abbey, Mission, Alesmith, Alpine, and Port all down the SD way). Really there's good beer wherever you go in California, but it's one thing that the OC->SD corridor has really definitively won over the rest of the country.

Not that I don't love me an Old Rasputin or a Pliny, mind.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Papercut posted:

Still better than paying a $1200/mo mortgage for a McMansion in Tracy or Patterson or some poo poo like that.

I live in a 4200sq. ft. McMansion built at the peak of the bubble and I would rather take a city with no culture than living in a shoebox.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Eh, I wouldn't take either. You probably don't need more than 500 sq feet a person if that but those micro-apartments just go too far.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Ardennes posted:

Eh, I wouldn't take either. You probably don't need more than 500 sq feet a person if that but those micro-apartments just go too far.

There is an upside to such a small apartment too however: great incentive to go outside and actually see and experience the city. Still, 1600 is goddamn ridiculous. Maybe at like 1000 or something it might be worth it so you could go out and have a good time with all the money you saved, but at 1600 you're basically paying not take the 30 minute ride out to the Sunset every day, which is a pretty nice neighborhood anyway.

Also, I've lived in Tracy and I wouldn't go back if you gave me a real mansion for 1200/mo. Like the smell of cow poo poo every day no matter where you are?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

California housing prices bottomed out over a year ago. If you were waiting around to buy at the bottom it is way too late now. The current rush is to get in before interest rates go up, but that ship sailed a month or two ago as well.

Now, you can still get a bargain well outside the major markets - I'm sure you can get a cheap house in vacaville or tracy - but (for example) in my neighborhood of Concord, which is a 45-minute BART ride from SF, prices are now a good 30%+ above their bottom from 18 months ago and are still rising.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Welp, looks like I'm moving from Burbank to.... the Bay Area. Works at the Presideo and the rental market within walking distance is pretty up there. I guess I'll get a place up towards San Rafael and commute down the 101 to work.

Anyone commute by ferry?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Geared Hub posted:

Welp, looks like I'm moving from Burbank to.... the Bay Area. Works at the Presideo and the rental market within walking distance is pretty up there. I guess I'll get a place up towards San Rafael and commute down the 101 to work.

Anyone commute by ferry?

I don't, but the ferry ride to the Financial District is supposed to be an amazing commute. The problem for you is that you would have to take a bus after getting off of the ferry. It seems like it would turn into a really long commute, especially if you're coming all the way from San Rafael.

Have you looked at rents in the Richmond? It's a pretty easy bike or bus ride from there to the Presidio.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

The bigger question is: when the great California civil war comes, how far north will we choose to exterminate? Im kind of fond of SLO, maybe everything south of arroyo grande? Maybe that tunnel on 101 should mark the boundary.

The Mason Dixon line for California is actually up around beautiful Madera, CA where there is a Redwood Tree/Palm Tree in the center of Hwy 99 signifying where the first shots are to be fired. I guess that makes Fresno part of SoCal, which makes sense since 70% of the gangbangers there are from L.A.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 21, 2013

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

wodin posted:

Really there's good beer wherever you go in California, but it's one thing that the OC->SD corridor has really definitively won over the rest of the country.

Colorado :colbert:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Geared Hub posted:

Anyone commute by ferry?

Getting from a ferry terminal to the Presidio will suck. To work in the Presidio you either have to live there or be willing to drive there from wherever every day.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Oregon? Hey "best beer" is a pretty multi-sided fight at this point.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

withak posted:

Getting from a ferry terminal to the Presidio will suck. To work in the Presidio you either have to live there or be willing to drive there from wherever every day.

29 Sunset, 43 Masonic, and uh... I want to say, 18 46th Avenue. Off the top of my head, without checking a MUNI map, and based on 10+ year old mental MUNI maps, but there are busses in SF that go to the Presidio. But yeah, don't try to do it from a ferry ride, the ferries drop you off down town.

I would second the recommendation to check inner and outer Richmond district rents. The neighborhood is reasonably safe, and the prices are lower (for San Francisco).

If you have to commute, you don't want to do it across the Golden Gate Bridge. The tolls are higher, the traffic is heavier, and there's ongoing work on the roads around there too.

San Rafael? Good lord no. Marin county is extra expensive, it's where the people live who are too snobbish and rich for San Francisco's snobbish rich districts. Granted San Rafel is a lot less so than Marin proper, but, no. Try Daly City if you're willing to commute, or South San Francisco, or Colma, or (if you drive) even Pacifica.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Looks like SanFran should fly in some Japanese architects. Those homes look like Japanese concepts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

29 Sunset, 43 Masonic, and uh... I want to say, 18 46th Avenue. Off the top of my head, without checking a MUNI map, and based on 10+ year old mental MUNI maps, but there are busses in SF that go to the Presidio. But yeah, don't try to do it from a ferry ride, the ferries drop you off down town.

Those go to the Presidio but none of them connect to ferry terminals. From Pier 41 you are looking at at least one cross-town transfer. It probably isn't any faster than walking straight there (maybe 45 minutes?). The quickest way is probably to take the ferry then bike.

edit: There is an abandoned streetcar tunnel that runs under Fort Mason. If they opened that sucker up for bikes then you could probably ride from Pier 41 to the Presidio in 15 minutes without even having to go uphill.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 21, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Looks like SanFran should fly in some Japanese architects. Those homes look like Japanese concepts.

Well thanks to the micro-apartment concept getting approved in 2012, I'm sure they will be flying in lots of Japanese architects.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Geared Hub posted:

Anyone commute by ferry?

I did some QA work at the Presidio a couple days ago for the 101 widening and our office is normally ~10 minute walk from Ferry building. I was dropped off in the morning but on the way back, I did something stupid and took the Muni on 22 and transferred to 3 which took loving forever. I'm sure there was a better route to pick but what I really should have done was take the PresidiGo shuttle http://www.presidio.gov/visit/transportation/Documents/PresidiGoSchedule_Downtown.pdf It would have droped me off close to work which is pretty close to the Ferry building.

I've taken the Ferry from Oakland to SF whenever the BART is hosed up and it's pretty great experience. You can order a beer (though I haven't) and chill outside enjoying the sights for 30 minutes. It's also only +$3 more than riding the BART for me so it's pretty reasonable. My bosses sometimes take the Ferry from Larkspur and they say it's great as well. Also Golden Gate Transit might have something that picks you up near San Rafael area and drops you off by Presidio so that's also another option. Its the Bay Area so you can't really go wrong with getting to wherever you need to be, be it carpool, bus, boat, train, biking or what not. For your own mental health, I found it's best to try to keep transfers to an absolute minimum (especially when it comes to Muni/buses) so sometimes driving may be the least stressful way to do it. Ferry + PresidiGo is probably a great option if you're set on San Rafael; that said, San Rafael kind of sucks but you could do much worse.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 21, 2013

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Papercut posted:

I don't, but the ferry ride to the Financial District is supposed to be an amazing commute. The problem for you is that you would have to take a bus after getting off of the ferry. It seems like it would turn into a really long commute, especially if you're coming all the way from San Rafael.

Have you looked at rents in the Richmond? It's a pretty easy bike or bus ride from there to the Presidio.

Yeah I was looking at Richmond area at first, I also found a corporate housing /monthly hotel that would give me a room/private bathroom for about $1700-1800 a month including maid service which is great if I have to work freelance in SF in the future.

At the moment its a longer term gig, and I'm bringing up a ton of tools, a big rear end suv and a big rear end car, so that leaves most of SF out proper since most of the smaller rentals are street parking only and having one car (never mind 2) in SF would be a pain in the rear.

Out towards San Rafael I'm looking at a commute but enough employees live out there that theres plenty of car pool opportunity to be had, plus I can get more square footage for the money plus 2 parking spots. Technically speaking half the company I'm working for is in Marin company, just not the division I'm working in :v:

I'll get a feel for the area and probably move again in a year.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Geared Hub posted:

Technically speaking half the company I'm working for is in Marin company, just not the division I'm working in :v:

Is this a George Lucas thing? Because pretty much everybody only knows the Presidio for ILM and the Disney Museum, and everybody knows the Lucas dominion of properties is in Marin.

And TWDC is in Burbank, so you might as well start dropping the Episode VII spoilers now. :colbert:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

San Diego, bro.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geared Hub posted:

Yeah I was looking at Richmond area at first, I also found a corporate housing /monthly hotel that would give me a room/private bathroom for about $1700-1800 a month including maid service which is great if I have to work freelance in SF in the future.

At the moment its a longer term gig, and I'm bringing up a ton of tools, a big rear end suv and a big rear end car, so that leaves most of SF out proper since most of the smaller rentals are street parking only and having one car (never mind 2) in SF would be a pain in the rear.

Out towards San Rafael I'm looking at a commute but enough employees live out there that theres plenty of car pool opportunity to be had, plus I can get more square footage for the money plus 2 parking spots. Technically speaking half the company I'm working for is in Marin company, just not the division I'm working in :v:

I'll get a feel for the area and probably move again in a year.

San Francisco is going to LOVE your Hummer.
That said, I would do basically anything to avoid rush hour on the golden gate Bridge.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Is this a George Lucas thing? Because pretty much everybody only knows the Presidio for ILM and the Disney Museum, and everybody knows the Lucas dominion of properties is in Marin.

And TWDC is in Burbank, so you might as well start dropping the Episode VII spoilers now. :colbert:

Thankfully, George Lucas has very little to do with Episode VII.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nm posted:

San Francisco is going to LOVE your Hummer.
That said, I would do basically anything to avoid rush hour on the golden gate Bridge.

On on a similar note, the Hummer limo is one of the more embarrassing inventions in human history.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Leperflesh posted:

California housing prices bottomed out over a year ago. If you were waiting around to buy at the bottom it is way too late now.
I think most people were waiting for the bottom to become reasonable; it never did.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

I think most people were waiting for the bottom to become reasonable; it never did.

Yeah the "bottom" was still way above a lot of people's price range.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

withak posted:

Yeah the "bottom" was still way above a lot of people's price range.

This is pretty interesting:
(Find your county)
http://www.dqnews.com/charts/monthly-charts/ca-city-charts/zipcar.aspx

All the non-Central valley/big population center counties saw at least 25% appreciation vs. 2012.

etalian fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 21, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

On on a similar note, the Hummer limo is one of the more embarrassing inventions in human history.

Stretch-limos are built to be large and ridiculous and hold alot of people to begin with so honestly Hummers are perfect vehicles to make a limo out of.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm not surprised about Fremont, given that there are new $700k+ townhomes going up in Irvington (which has been gentrified pretty heavily now that IHS is one of the best in the state) and even more multimillion dollar homes going up in the MSJ district (even though our high school probably has like 2400 students now).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Geared Hub posted:

Yeah I was looking at Richmond area at first

Richmond is the most dangerous and murdery location in the Bay Area. You might enjoy, in a looking-at-car-accident kind of way, perusing this crime map with crime data, for Richmond. Note the cheery bright red color, compared to the less glowy color of surrounding communities. Although this site thinks Oakland is worse, but I think it has to do with combined crime statistics that include petty theft and stuff; I'm pretty sure Richmond has the highest per-capita murder and rape rates.

The City-Data crime rate for Richmond for 2012 is 594.3, compared to a national average of 307.5. Although, hey, bright side; it peaked in 2007 at 766.0!

If you do decide to live in Richmond, there are safer areas of the city to focus on, mostly up in the hilly areas.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 21, 2013

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
He was talking about the Richmond, not Richmond.

Geared Hub, I still think you could look at the 40th-50th and Geary area. There is tons of street parking out there so having two cars wouldn't be an issue, and rent is a lot lower because it's at the edge of the city and the weather sucks. You could drive to work from there in 20 minutes or so.

I reverse commute to San Rafael so I see what the 101 is like every day, and I would not want to do that regularly. Picture the 405 at rush hour. It's 20 miles of bumper to bumper starting every afternoon at 3pm, and the morning commute into the city is just as bad.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Cool, I'm figure something out in the next 3 weeks. I guess my focus is narrowed to the Richmond District and the Marina to Sausalito up to San Rafael at the furthest point. I didn't mean to side track the discussion :)

Is there big differences in political climate between SF city/county vs Marin county?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ha, all the Bay area posts make me wish for "Where should I move" amazing flowchart infographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006

Papercut posted:

He was talking about the Richmond, not Richmond.

Geared Hub, I still think you could look at the 40th-50th and Geary area. There is tons of street parking out there so having two cars wouldn't be an issue, and rent is a lot lower because it's at the edge of the city and the weather sucks. You could drive to work from there in 20 minutes or so.

I reverse commute to San Rafael so I see what the 101 is like every day, and I would not want to do that regularly. Picture the 405 at rush hour. It's 20 miles of bumper to bumper starting every afternoon at 3pm, and the morning commute into the city is just as bad.

When I first moved to the city I moved to 41st and Geary, happy that I lived near the beach and would go surfing all the time. It is really cold and foggy year round. I went to the beach maybe twice and I always had the longest bus ride if I every wanted to go out. There's more stuff going on further into the Richmond from Arguello to maybe Funston on Clement. Its very much a second Chinatown.

I was having this discussion the other day with my gf, so much of the city is so expensive now we are looking where to go, first to either SoCal or East Bay or somewhere else in the country. What we pay is a house payment most places in the country and we have a relatively cheap apartment in Hayes Valley, which has become absurdly gentrified in the past decade.

• Locked thread