Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Treating the quest hubs like traditional quest hubs didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the leveling experience at all, so different strokes for different folks?

I also vaguely recall people calling Drinkfist a :spergin: tosser when the game launched. I think a mumble or irc channel is good enough for the few proud goons who play this game, without falling into the hangups of trying to organize a guild/cabal when there really isn't even an incentive to do so in this game, as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
A lot of people in this thread and the last two got mad because they couldn't pick up and do all the missions in a hub like in every MMO since WoW. His point is that people should embrace that design, with a few exceptions your current mission often ends either in the same place you started or near another main- or item mission that will loop back to another hub.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I don't see a date on this blog post, so I guess it could be old info, but it looks really drat deep, for any other relative noobs like me:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004

guppy posted:

You do need to fill in both halves of a weapon's inner ring to reach the outer ring abilities, yes. But you should be putting a few points in a second weapon right off the bat. You are leaving damage on the table by not having a second consumer, because most builders build resources for both equipped weapons.

At endgame in Nightmares, Blood/Elemental is viable but very, very hard to play well; nothing else is, really. But when leveling the correct pairing is literally anything.

Thanks, put a few points into Chaos Attacks since i already had that Chaos Focus from the kinky fortune teller in Kingsmouth.
Zapping Zombies with your fists is fun. :o

Oh and since it can't be said often enough: The writing for most of the dialogues and the quests in this game is amazing. After almost having my brain explode from some of the "dialogues" in Assassins Creed 2, TSR gives me hope that not all videogames are written for 10 year olds.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I forgot how much fun Ankh was we need to run that more often.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Len posted:

I forgot how much fun Ankh was we need to run that more often.
Go to bed you're drunk. (yes it was fun)

Something I've been wondering about lately, from lore 6 of the Council of Venice lore:

quote:

Each secret society has a number of delegates proportionate to size and importance. The Illuminati, the Templars, the Dragon, and the Phoenicians have three each. The others have one or two. The Council itself has its own neutral delegates.
Who are "the others"?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I've got my money on the Kingdom being one of them, given that they run Egypt at least in much the same way as the big three run their own corners of the world, but I don't think we've met anyone else that could fill that role.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Zephonith posted:

Something I've been wondering about lately, from lore 6 of the Council of Venice lore:

Who are "the others"?

During pre-release, when the Phoenicians were being drummed up as the hot poo poo (clearly, things have changed in the past few years), it was mentioned off-handedly that there are a multitude of secret societies in addition to the Big Three (Illuminati, Templars, Dragon, though at this point the Dragon were more or less characterized as the more unadulterated "gently caress all rules" quasi-terrorist organization of the secret world, though for gameplay reasons, they're basically just the token Asian faction), and that the Phoenicians had about as much pull in the secret world as these lesser socieities, though they were given special consideration due to the fact that they had a history with the two major Western societies (Templars and Illuminati). I honestly can't remember a single quote mentioning them in-game, though I'm sure they are, but only ever in the context of the greater secret world, just to remind you that it isn't just the Illuminati and Templars' "Gentleman's War" (also Dragon, but they really don't fit in), or that the scope of hosed-up poo poo happening around the globe isn't just limited to New England, Egypt, Romania, and Tokyo.

e:^^^ I'm not sure if the Kingdom qualifies. While they are players in the secret world, they're rather provincial, when you think about it. For the past few millenia, they'd been content to live a life of unparalleled hedonism in their little cradle of civilization, but aside from controlling the "black" black market in that part of the world, they don't really have any aspirations for world domination or anything of comparable gravitas. The societies do, which is why the Council exists; to reign in these aspirations, keep them from bleeding into the streets of your local major metropolitan area, and when the secret world is acting up and push comes to shove, organize a multilateral push back. Again, the Kingdom (with the possible exception of Saiid) don't really have any fucks to give in that regard.

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 21, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Protagorean posted:

I honestly can't remember a single quote mentioning them in-game
By "them", do you mean the Phoenicians? Because Kirsten Geary has a whole dialogue tree about them.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Zephonith posted:

By "them", do you mean the Phoenicians? Because Kirsten Geary has a whole dialogue tree about them.

No, I meant the minor societies.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Protagorean posted:

e:^^^ I'm not sure if the Kingdom qualifies. While they are players in the secret world, they're rather provincial, when you think about it.

They do count, they would just be one of the factions with only one or two representatives on the Council. Most factions outside of the big four would be relatively provincial, given that the Dragon/Templars/Illuminati each "hold" large parts of the globe (with the Phoenicians having New Carthage, which is as close as you can get to owning the ocean).

I can't think of any other smaller societies being mentioned. The Congo was planned as a zone, it's possible one's there.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I don't see a date on this blog post, so I guess it could be old info, but it looks really drat deep, for any other relative noobs like me:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

This was a beta/launch guide. I just skimmed over it and found enough wrong that I recommend ignoring it.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 21, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cheston posted:

I can't think of any other smaller societies being mentioned.
They'd have to be half or two thirds as powerful as the main three (given seats are allocated proportionally), which rules out basically all of the groups we've met (which is a shame, Petru the Blajini would make an excellent council rep). I'd think Orochi would qualify because they're on phone and email terms with KG. Maybe the US govt department at the camp in Blue Mountain?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zephonith posted:

Who are "the others"?

Pfft. I tanked Ankh like a champ only hosed up twice and in my defense there were DPS dead from standing in poo poo before I went down both times.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zephonith posted:

They'd have to be half or two thirds as powerful as the main three (given seats are allocated proportionally), which rules out basically all of the groups we've met (which is a shame, Petru the Blajini would make an excellent council rep). I'd think Orochi would qualify because they're on phone and email terms with KG. Maybe the US govt department at the camp in Blue Mountain?

Delegate numbers are proportional to "importance" as well as size, so there's a lot of room for variation. If you got nine Carters to form a coven, it could probably warrant a delegate. But yeah, in most cases it appears they just send out neutral reps like Carmen Preda or Amparo Osorio, who either maintain contacts or are familiar with a certain region.

The Orochi interact with the other societies, and do have a heavy presence in the Secret World, but I doubt they're a member of the Council any more than the Morninglight or the British/American governments would be. The Orochi and Morninglight are very recent, very powerful, and are playing an entirely different game, while traditional governments (and presumably any non-Orochi corporations) are already under the control of one of the major factions. That, and none of them are really secret societies, or involved in the Secret War.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 21, 2013

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Late replies on my part, but since I've been doing a Blood levelling build I thought I'd chime in.

deichkind42 posted:

Been playing since a few days, I'm only putting points into Blood (Profane/Sacred) now, since i want that to be my primary focus and access the advanced 6 Blood fields.
(I understood this correctly, yes? I need to buy all the Sacred and Profane abilities to be able to use the later ones in Blood?)

Still in Kingsmouth and doing super fine with the Missions right now, but i'd like to know when i should start putting points into a second Field? And which one is recommended with Blood? Was thinking Blades, Elemental or Chaos, since they seem the most interesting to me. (I want to mostly solo the Story missions probably so it doesn't have to be perfect but I want to make sure I don't get stuck in some later Missions)

If you're gonna do Blood, there's a few abilities that synergize very well. First of all, head straight for Bloodline in the Malediction branch. This is a focus attack. It works VERY well with Finish the Movement, which is somewhat deep in Blades/Running of the Jagged (34AP). Every time you cast Bloodline, you'll get 2 Blood resources. You can also pick up Culmination in Blood/Wetwork that heals you every time you cast a focus ability.

Also in Blood/Malediction, you'll find Bloodshot. This is a 2 resource Blood consumer that deals extra damage to Afflicted targets. Setting Afflicted is easy, just grab Bloodsport in Fist/The Outback (sets Afflict on hit). Then you can cast Bloodline twice, then cast Bloodshot twice. Over and over for your main "rotation". It hurts a lot.

For some extra survivability, I grab Blood Shield in Blood/Sacred and Exquisite Corpse in Blood/Wetwork. Blood Shield can build resources out of combat and you can just spam it if you're running away from something. Exquisite Corpse is a 50% reflect barrier and a heal that costs 2 Blood resources. This upgrades your rotation to Bloodlinex2 and a combination of Bloodshot/Exquisite Corpse depending on if you're low on health or not. For other passives, just sprinkle in some penetration rating things like Dark Potency in Blood/Profane, Iron maiden in Blood/Malediction, and whatever other passives you want. I go with Seal the Deal as an elite but that's a 50AP deep in Pistols/Crossfire.

As for recommended secondary weapons - pretty much anything works well with the above build. If you like Blood a lot, all you'll need is a consumer from the other weapon. I've done pistols with Shootout, Shotgun with Out for a Kill, and currently I'm using AR for three round burst. Best thing about AR that I've found as a secondary is that you can slot in some leech/healing consumers for extra survivability. However, Exquisite Corpse should do a good enough job fighting anything single-target. I generally only need a healing consumer from the secondary weapon when fighting multiple mobs.

mango sentinel posted:

So I just started and want to do a Shotgun+Magic build, but none of the magic branches seem to synergies well with shotguns, from my cursory examination. Am I wrong?

Shotguns can synergize really well with the above build if you're okay with using Blood as a builder. Just toss in Out for a Kill as your shotgun consumer, and you're all set. That's all there is to it. OfaK is a pretty good damage consumer.

If you don't want to use the above thing, I'd recommend making a Strike build. Use Striker in the Shotguns/Tactical Surprise branch (a strike shotgun single target builder), then add in the Punisher passive in the same branch. Punisher will stack up to a 30% damage reduction on your target. There's several other abilities that make strikes hit harder, you can search for them on a build website or in game in the ability wheel. OfaK as a consumer. For AOE packs, just add in whatever the hell you want from the Shotgun tree. Pump action is like the first thing you get and that's not bad.

You have several options for your secondary weapon. Elemental has Strikes, and so does Hammer. For elemental, you can pick up Thor's Hammer which hits like a truck. In that same tree (Elemental/React) you also will run across Elemental Force and High Voltage, which can be used to force Thor's Hammer or OfaK to crit if you do your rotation right.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or just want to talk about build ideas, you can find me in game as Dresner.

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 21, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
If you're going to solo as blood, consider getting Expulsion.

Re: factions, the biggest difference between factions are some faction-exclusive story missions and, long-term, deck outfits.

The faction missions are basically one mission involving running around bullshitting in your faction's city, and a horror mission that either resembles FEAR (

Templar: The MMO version of FEAR, and a dumb puzzle mission.

Dragon: A stealth mission, and a mission that sends you to Silent Hill.

Illuminati: A stealth mission, and some mission based in Quake 2's crate factory.

Also goons seem to like the Illuminati handler a lot, and Dragon dialog is pretty much information-free deus ex machina dreck.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

Dragon dialog is pretty much information-free deus ex machina dreck.

Hey. hey. It's recently become information-free deus ex machina dreck.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Cheston posted:

They do count, they would just be one of the factions with only one or two representatives on the Council. Most factions outside of the big four would be relatively provincial, given that the Dragon/Templars/Illuminati each "hold" large parts of the globe (with the Phoenicians having New Carthage, which is as close as you can get to owning the ocean).

I can't think of any other smaller societies being mentioned. The Congo was planned as a zone, it's possible one's there.

Did you read the rest of that post? They don't count. And considering the globe-trotting adventures of your very own player character in the game, do you realize how asinine saying that the four largest societies are "relatively provincial" is? While the Illuminati have a pretty tight lockdown on the United States, the Templars have all of Europe for a backyard, and the Dragon have historically been headquartered in Asia, they're all global players. The Illuminati have dreams of a New World Order, the Templars would like to see themselves being crowned Holy Roman Emperor of the Secret World, and the Dragon have cells in every corner of the world, playing their shell game with everyone else, working towards whatever the gently caress they're working towards. And the Phoenicians have a loving mobile island fortress. You can't be "provincial" and have 70% of the Earth's surface at your disposal.

Also, here's two of the lore honeycombs for the Kingdom:

quote:

Recent events bring the secret societies back to Egypt. The Kingdom has no interest in the ethics or politics of the secret world - the struggles between the factions - but they do watch the movements, eager for the opportunity. They offer their services, careful to creep past the eyes of the Council of Venice.

quote:

Watch the dead dance, sweetling. They worry not about the living or of consequence. They do not agonize over the insane cults that have crept up in their backyard, who worship the anathema to all life. Why should they worry? They have already died. The worst is past. And the afterlife has been very, very good to them.
Do you hear the static-twinkle of our laughter? We know a secret, sweetling, and now we will tell it to you: there are always worse things than dying.

They don't give a gently caress about the secret world beyond the scope of exploiting it for their own profit, they don't even give a gently caress about Egypt beyond the black market they have a monopoly on as evidenced by the literal hell breaking loose around al-Merayah, and they are fine with all of that, secure in their (false) belief that the end of the world isn't their problem.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Protagorean posted:

Did you read the rest of that post? They don't count. And considering the globe-trotting adventures of your very own player character in the game, do you realize how asinine saying that the four largest societies are "relatively provincial" is? While the Illuminati have a pretty tight lockdown on the United States, the Templars have all of Europe for a backyard, and the Dragon have historically been headquartered in Asia, they're all global players. The Illuminati have dreams of a New World Order, the Templars would like to see themselves being crowned Holy Roman Emperor of the Secret World, and the Dragon have cells in every corner of the world, playing their shell game with everyone else, working towards whatever the gently caress they're working towards. And the Phoenicians have a loving mobile island fortress. You can't be "provincial" and have 70% of the Earth's surface at your disposal.

Did you read any of my post, you rear end? I said that The Kingdom are "relatively provincial," not the Big Four. You just spent a paragraph repeating me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh. That's why several pages ago you guys were talking about Machine Tyrant that way. Oh...

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cheston posted:

Did you read any of my post, you rear end? I said that The Kingdom are "relatively provincial," not the Big Four. You just spent a paragraph repeating me.

Now you know how I feel. :v:

It's safe to say that smaller groups like the Kingdom have a say in Council of Venice politics. They make it clear that way back in the day the CoV had a huge amount of pull over the Secret World. It's only in the past hundred or two hundred years or so that they became a muddling bureaucracy. Thus it's kind of hard to imagine that the Council wouldn't muck into local organizations like that if they had the chance. Organizations like the Kingdom are probably only currently involved for any potential gains membership has though.

I imagine the Council of Venice also counts people like the Draculesti and Marya in its ranks of various political organizations, though they probably don't actually have a physical presence at the meetings. The reason being that you can see Venice operatives who seem to be familiar with the local politics of the various crisis zones early on in each area.

A good example of this would be the vampire hunter you can meet at the start of the Transylvania zones. There's no way she isn't native, yet she seems to be a Council operative. She drops hints at having been raised in the first zone every other sentence in fact.

If they get around to adding new groups and zones in, we might see more about that. Until then it's mostly a way for the writers to note that there's more to the world out there outside of what we've seen.

Edit: A Congo zone would be loving awesome. I wish that had made it in. :(

Also, having managed to play Issue 7, I can say that the game needs more snow mobile battles. That thing made me wish we had vehicles in the game all over the place. The entire sequence was :black101: as gently caress. Especially when you have a partner with you on the same steps helping you gun down the dozen or so enemies coming at you at any one time.

Alternatively, they could deliberately piss off the official forums by adding in a Mario Kart style race in some out of character area against one of those hulking filth abominations, along with any other funny monsters they could think of. Maybe throw in Klein and Beaumont on their own themed vehicles just to see people spontaneously combust into flames from the rage. It would be fun and educational towards seeing who was an unfunny rear end in a top hat! :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 22, 2013

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I could see a major filth problem being found deep in the African jungle as a way of shoving a congo like area in after Tokyo.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Klein on a snow mobile with Mario kart style game play? Function take my loving money right now. There are no words in any language that can fully contain the raw emotions I feel towards this idea.

If I had any talent at all in video game modding, Klein would appear everywhere. Klein as the Dragon Born, check. Klein on a motorcycle in GTA4, check. Klein digging for diamonds in Minecraft, check. Klein single-handedly destroying Halo's, check. Klein hanging Makarov from a skyscraper in Modern Warfare, Klein using the force in some random Star Wars game, Klein taking over Kerbal space thing or Klein in any Dioblo clone, check check bloody check.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 22, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Cheston posted:

You said the Kingdom were represented on the Council, I spent a paragraph telling you you were wrong. I did misread the context of that "relatively provincial" statement though, but let's be a big butthurt baby about it. :qqsay:

Archonex posted:

Now you know how I feel. :v:

It's safe to say that smaller groups like the Kingdom have a say in Council of Venice politics. They make it clear that way back in the day the CoV had a huge amount of pull over the Secret World. It's only in the past hundred or two hundred years or so that they became a muddling bureaucracy. Thus it's kind of hard to imagine that the Council wouldn't muck into local organizations like that if they had the chance. Organizations like the Kingdom are probably only currently involved for any potential gains membership has though.

I imagine the Council of Venice also counts people like the Draculesti and Marya in its ranks of various political organizations, though they probably don't actually have a physical presence at the meetings. The reason being that you can see Venice operatives who seem to be familiar with the local politics of the various crisis zones early on in each area.

A good example of this would be the vampire hunter you can meet at the start of the Transylvania zones. There's no way she isn't native, yet she seems to be a Council operative. She drops hints at having been raised in the first zone every other sentence in fact.

If they get around to adding new groups and zones in, we might see more about that. Until then it's mostly a way for the writers to note that there's more to the world out there outside of what we've seen.

Edit: A Congo zone would be loving awesome. I wish that had made it in. :(

Also, having managed to play Issue 7, I can say that the game needs more snow mobile battles. That thing made me wish we had vehicles in the game all over the place. The entire sequence was :black101: as gently caress. Especially when you have a partner with you on the same steps helping you gun down the dozen or so enemies coming at you at any one time.

Alternatively, they could deliberately piss off the official forums by adding in a Mario Kart style race in some out of character area against one of those hulking filth abominations, along with any other funny monsters they could think of. Maybe throw in Klein and Beaumont on their own themed vehicles just to see people spontaneously combust into flames from the rage. It would be fun and educational towards seeing who was an unfunny rear end in a top hat! :v:

Oh, you got Archonex posting again. Thanks for that. What's apparent is that everyone even tangentially related to the secret world is aware of the Council of Venice, especially considering how, as the bees mentioned, when the power of the Council outgrew the power of the representatives from the societies on the Council, they began to take a much more pro-active part in moderating the secret world than the founding members' individual interests in doing so (admittedly, they still play the part of bureaucratic nanny to the societies to a "T", hence the bellyaching on the part of the societies). So you'll see agents of theirs in just about every part of the world, from every part of the world. They're literally the secret world's United Nations, if the white and blue uniforms didn't tip you off before. They might negotiate with the local powers-that-be, like the Marya, the Kingdom, or the Draculesti, without ever having to see them getting dirt on the marble floors of their HQ.

Also, the vehicle section was way over-hyped and blew rear end (both before and after comparison to expectation), partially because of how floaty and poorly animated this game is, in addition to the poor optimization making it run like rear end on my machine. And monkeycheese Mario Kart minigames are so in sync, thematically, with this game. Or "pissing off the official forums" is a good reason to ever do anything. So it's me, I'm the unfunny rear end in a top hat who thinks you're actually twelve.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
I don't know who you two super-spergs are in game and it's probably better that way.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Marx posted:

I don't know who you two super-spergs are in game and it's probably better that way.

Not like there's much else to do outside of lore chat but talk about raiding or build strategies between issues. TSW has a pretty formulaic end game in that regard. And even then, I remember there were a few people sperging and raging at people in the thread because of a 1-15 DPS difference in their build back at release. That was loving awful, and made the lore arguments look tame by comparison.

Hell, least i'm not raging at every perceived slight against the lore. Protagorean just tends to get pissy any time someone brings it up. Also, the lack of reading comprehension on his part tends to cause huge wordy posts in one direction or another. Doesn't help that he tends to be a dick when it comes to replying to posts regarding it either. Just look at his post history and Cheston's post up above. Dude completely missed the point of what Cheston was saying.

Anyways, anyone noticed that there's new environmental features in Agartha? Apparently there are Filth birds flying about intermittently now, and someone posted on the forums about how the Filth could be seen spreading outwards from the Tokyo gate from patch to patch. I'm kind of curious what else is going on there, along with if you can target the birds to cause them to aggro players. :unsmigghh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 22, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Archonex posted:

Anyways, anyone noticed that there's new environmental features in Agartha? Apparently there are Filth birds flying about intermittently now, and someone posted on the forums about how the Filth could be seen spreading outwards from the Tokyo gate from patch to patch. I'm kind of curious what else is going on there, along with if you can target the birds to cause them to aggro players. :unsmigghh:

We talked about the filth drakes flying around a couple days ago, and here are some screen captures I took a couple minutes ago of the live server compared to the testlive server (patch hitting tomorrow) of the progression of the filth from Tokyo.

Live

Test Live

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 22, 2013

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

People aren't upset by you debating their opinions, they're upset by you coming in here and being a hostile rear end in a top hat for no reason, including going on an angry rant about someone's "asinine" opinion that you didn't even bother to understand. Chill out.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

HughGRect posted:

We talked about the filth drakes flying around a couple days ago, and here are some screen captures I tool a couple minutes ago of the live server compared to the testlive server (patch hitting tomorrow) of the progression of the filth from Tokyo.
How do you get rid of the terrible DOF filter?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Smith Comma John posted:

People aren't upset by you debating their opinions, they're upset by you coming in here and being a hostile rear end in a top hat for no reason, including going on an angry rant about someone's "asinine" opinion that you didn't even bother to understand. Chill out.

I never insinuated they (semantically I guess two people are "people") were upset by me debating their opinions? I just called out Cheston for giving a single-sentence response and not bothering to do the very thing he accused me of (which I admitted my fault on, but misread that one line was pretty outrageous). If "asinine" is his insult threshold, there are plenty of non-comedy forums that discuss video games on the Internet. Like the Penny Arcade forums, run by those guys who thought rape jokes were funny!

But I digress. If you were able to read anger from any of my long rants, then the possibilities, as I see them, are: a) you're an empath misplacing the rage of a resident spirit you were previously unaware of haunting your home onto me, or b) you're trying to make personal something that isn't, like a number of people seem to be. Well, I guess I did insult Archonex explicitly, but that's just because he's actually all of the relatively tame things I've called him, and I'm clearly not the first person to arrive at that conclusion. Though evidenced by the furry porn and misogynist slur that bedecks my first custom title, I guess I shouldn't have expected so much from the low-hanging fruit of Games.

tl;dr "Chill out" is a bit presumptive, especially considering you don't even have a horse in this race, and have actually derailed this thread now.

For the sake of topicality, does someone remember the timeline for their (I'm talking about Funcom now) next couple of releases better than I do? By that I mean, I was under the impression the next update or two would be taking us to Venice, but the story makes it look like we're putting on the urban camo facepaint for Tokyo. Did they change their plans, like maybe cutting that bit in favor of making a Tokyo release before Winter? Or are we still technically on track?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Protagorean posted:

I never insinuated they (semantically I guess two people are "people") were upset by me debating their opinions? I just called out Cheston for giving a single-sentence response and not bothering to do the very thing he accused me of (which I admitted my fault on, but misread that one line was pretty outrageous). If "asinine" is his insult threshold, there are plenty of non-comedy forums that discuss video games on the Internet. Like the Penny Arcade forums, run by those guys who thought rape jokes were funny!

But I digress. If you were able to read anger from any of my long rants, then the possibilities, as I see them, are: a) you're an empath misplacing the rage of a resident spirit you were previously unaware of haunting your home onto me, or b) you're trying to make personal something that isn't, like a number of people seem to be. Well, I guess I did insult Archonex explicitly, but that's just because he's actually all of the relatively tame things I've called him, and I'm clearly not the first person to arrive at that conclusion. Though evidenced by the furry porn and misogynist slur that bedecks my first custom title, I guess I shouldn't have expected so much from the low-hanging fruit of Games.

tl;dr "Chill out" is a bit presumptive, especially considering you don't even have a horse in this race, and have actually derailed this thread now.

For the sake of topicality, does someone remember the timeline for their (I'm talking about Funcom now) next couple of releases better than I do? By that I mean, I was under the impression the next update or two would be taking us to Venice, but the story makes it look like we're putting on the urban camo facepaint for Tokyo. Did they change their plans, like maybe cutting that bit in favor of making a Tokyo release before Winter? Or are we still technically on track?

I'm quoting this, because it's hilarious and I don't want you editing it. Also, the idea that you think this website and forum is going to have high brow humor as its main thing is amazing. Have you actually looked at it lately?

But seriously. Someone tells you to chill out, and you continue to sperg out with a massive multi paragraph rant. And you even go so far as to claim that someone reading the thread "doesn't have a horse in this race", and was the one to try and derail it. :psyduck: Do you honestly not see why you might annoy some people?

As for your question, I think the next update is supposed to be Tokyo. Or at least, a part of it. From what little I recall of their original timeline the idea was to finish up or expand on the zone specific storylines before moving off to the next zone. There was also a preview posted way back where they revealed to some random player that the Tokyo zone is already half-way finished too.

She even got to tour the place. So apparently the zone is already live on the server, just inaccessible without a GM teleporting you there. So I imagine that it's going to be next and any Venice related stuff would be an intro to the zone itself.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 22, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Protagorean posted:

don't even have a horse in this race, and have actually derailed this thread now.

We go blow poo poo out of thread!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

How do you get rid of the terrible DOF filter?

When I switch from a low screen resolution in windowed to a Max resolution in full screen it removed it. Not sure why it worked like that.

In regards to the upcoming issue timeline, from what I have gathered: Issue 1.7.x willshow the filth invading agartha and it should be more then visual as Issue 8 gets closer. Issue 8 will be introduction to Venice, ability augments and the scenario system. It is unclear at this time if Tokyo is issue 9 and the end of Arc 1. It has been hinted that Tokyo will be released over the course of several issues.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 22, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Posted some more of the unreleased lore on the offsite forums: Added a little background on the Ak'ab, Revenants and Jack. I am not too impressed with the Ak'ab and I hope it gets fleshed out a little, but how Jack, the Will-o-the-wisps and the Revenants are connected is pretty neat.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

HughGRect posted:

In regards to the upcoming issue timeline, from what I have gathered: Issue 1.7.x willshow the filth invading agartha and it should be more then visual as Issue 8 gets closer. Issue 8 will be introduction to Venice, ability augments and the scenario system. It is unclear at this time if Tokyo is issue 9 and the end of Arc 1. It has been hinted that Tokyo will be released over the course of several issues.

At least with invasions of Agartha we know they have different instances of Agartha, so we won't have to deal with the Fusang bullshit again.

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004

Propagandist posted:

Late replies on my part, but since I've been doing a Blood levelling build I thought I'd chime in.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions or just want to talk about build ideas, you can find me in game as Dresner.

Wow, thanks for the detailed advice. :)
I'm kinda liking the Chaos Magic abilities, is there anything there that will go well as a secondary to Blood in the later tiers?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

HughGRect posted:

Posted some more of the unreleased lore on the offsite forums: Added a little background on the Ak'ab, Revenants and Jack. I am not too impressed with the Ak'ab and I hope it gets fleshed out a little, but how Jack, the Will-o-the-wisps and the Revenants are connected is pretty neat.

I can see why it's not in the game (the writing doesn't fit with the Lore style at all, and it looks like they went with "show, don't tell" on a lot of things anyways), but it's neat how it fits together.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Cheston posted:

I can see why it's not in the game (the writing doesn't fit with the Lore style at all, and it looks like they went with "show, don't tell" on a lot of things anyways), but it's neat how it fits together.

yea, but the Akhab especially are the source of so many What the gently caress questions. That little bit of lore answers what they are, where they're from, and why they weren't around earlier. I mean I've always wondered if the League of Monster Slayers was forced to fight those akhab constantly or what. The rest of it is definitely interesting, but no where near as critical as I feel the akhab stuff is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

fullTimeLurker posted:

yea, but the Akhab especially are the source of so many What the gently caress questions. That little bit of lore answers what they are, where they're from, and why they weren't around earlier. I mean I've always wondered if the League of Monster Slayers was forced to fight those akhab constantly or what. The rest of it is definitely interesting, but no where near as critical as I feel the akhab stuff is.

Hey man. You know how people hate bugs.

What if the bugs were huge, and also demons.

This is how I imagine Lovecraft thought of everything. Just brought in a bunch of homeless people, asked what they are scared of, realized people REALLY HATE BUGS more then squid, and then decided to gently caress with us.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 23, 2013

• Locked thread