Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
Finally sat down and tinkered with datafiles again. I'm not a huge X-men follower, so if these seem off to anyone more in the know, let me hear about it!

pre:
Pyro (St. John Allerdyce)

Affiliations: 
	Solo [d6], Buddy [d8], Team [d10]

Distinctions:
	Blaze of Glory
	A Chance for Redemption?
	Hack Novelist 

Pyrokinesis:
	Fire Control d8, Fire Resistance d10

SFX: Fireball. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an 
additional effect die.

SFX: Extra Effective. When including Fire Control as part of an attack against Fire or 
Ice targets, add d6 and step up effect die by +1.

SFX: Immunity: Spend a d6 from the doom pool to ignore stress, trauma, or complications 
from Fire.

Limit: Mutant. When effected by a mutant specific complication or tech, step up the lowest 
die in the doom pool or add a d6 doom die.

I Only Control the Flame:
	Flamethrowers d8

Limit: Shutdown an I Only Control the Flame power to step up the lowest die in the doom 
pool or add a d6 doom die. Spend a doom die to recover that power.

Specialties:
	Crime Expert, Menace Expert 
pre:
Avalanche (Dominikos Petrakis)

Affiliations: 
	Solo [d8], Buddy [d6], Team [d10]

Distinctions:
	Fight for Mutant Rights
	Loyal Friend
	F@$! X-men!

Shock-Wave Generation:
	Seismic Mastery d10, Burrowing d8, Leaping d6

SFX: Quake. Against multiple targets, for each additional target add a d6 and keep an 
additional effect die.

SFX: Broken Earth. Add a d6 and step up the effect die by +1 when using Seismic Mastery 
to create Broken Earth complications.

SFX: Fault Lines. Add a doom die to an attack action. After that action, step back the 
doom die and return it to the doom pool.

Limit: Mutant. When effected by a mutant specific complication or tech, step up the 
lowest die in the doom pool or add a d6 doom die.

Limit: Seismic Feedback. Count 1s and 2s on dice as opportunities when using a Shock-Wave 
Generation  power.

Specialties:
	Business Expert, Crime Expert
Not super happy about Pyro. I know he can build stuff out of fire like Iceman can with ice, but I wasn't sure if an SFX for that really fit him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Not super happy about Pyro. I know he can build stuff out of fire like Iceman can with ice, but I wasn't sure if an SFX for that really fit him.

You could always cover that through narrating exactly what he's doing with his Fire Control power or Extra Effective SFX, though.

Thanks for doing these too, by the way. We're that much closer to a classic Freedom Force write-up.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

ibntumart posted:

You could always cover that through narrating exactly what he's doing with his Fire Control power or Extra Effective SFX, though.

Thanks for doing these too, by the way. We're that much closer to a classic Freedom Force write-up.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. It would have been too simple to do these two with blast powers, so the control was a way to make them more versatile, like in the comics.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Finally sat down and tinkered with datafiles again.

Did you get to the datafile-making stage for Man-Thing in West Coast Avengers? I'd really be interested in seeing that writeup.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

No, I didn't, but I really ought to. I wanted to figure out how best to run that idea with Sion before I started. I'll see what I can come up with.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 30, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

pre:
Man-Thing (Dr. Theodore "Ted" Sallis)

Affiliations: 
	Solo [d10], Buddy [d8], Team [d6]

Distinctions:
	Ex-Human Abomination
	Guardian of the Nexus of Reality
	All Who Know Fear...

Inhuman Form:
	Godlike Durability d12, Godlike Stamina d12, Superhuman Strength d10, Telepathy d8, Growth d8, Intangibility d6

SFX: ...Burn at the Man-Thing's Touch. When any character present in a scene involving Man-Thing suffers from Emotional 
Stress or Emotional Trauma, step up Man-Thing's effect die on all Physical attack actions.

SFX: Frenzy. At no cost, add existing Emotional Stress to any dice pool including an
Inhuman Form power, then step up Emotional Stress by +1.

SFX: Semi-Solid. Spend 1 PP to ignore Physical Stress or Physical Trauma unless caused by Fire or Energy-based actions. 

SFX: Marsh Born. When occupying wetlands, marsh, swamp, or other moist environments with heavy vegetation, spend 1 PP to 
recover all Physical stress and step back Physical trauma.

Limit: Mindless. Man-Thing has no emotions or thoughts of his own, and cannot effectively communicate. Man-Thing never 
gains Mental Stress or Mental Trauma. Step up the effect die of any complication caused by Mind Control, Telepathy, or 
similar effects against Man-Thing by +1. 

Limit: Marsh Born. Man-Thing may only recover Physical Stress and Physical Trauma when in a moist environment with heavy
 vegetation.

Limit: Infernal Man-Thing. Man-Thing must always attack the character with the highest Emotional Stress or Emotional 
Trauma that he can reach, unless directed by Mind Control, Telepathy, or similar effects to do otherwise. Man-Thing 
continues to attack in this manner until all characters with Emotional Stress or Emotional Trauma are unconscious, 
dead, or beyond the reach of Man-Thing's Telepathy. 

Specialties:
	Covert Master, Menace Master
Edit: loving done. And scary. This is of course a comic version, and would work just as well (probably better) as a Watcher character.

For the West Coast Avenger's Initiative idea, he'd have been a duo with Jennifer Kale: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Man-Thing would have been reigned in by Kale's own Telepathy, and essentially functioned as an additional (unpredictable) powerset of a sort.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 30, 2013

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
God drat but these datafiles are fun to make. Here's another one.

quote:

THE GREEN SCAR

Solo D10
Buddy D6
Team D8

Stranger in a Strange Land
The Peoples Champion
Engine of Destruction

GAMMA CHARGED GENETICS

Superhuman Strength D10
Superhuman Durability D10
Superhuman Stamina D10
Enhanced Reflexes D8
Mystic Sense D6
Leaping D10

SFX: Area Attack: Against multiple opponents, add an extra d6 and keep an extra effect dice for every opponent beyond the first.
SFX: Healing Factor: Spend 1PP to recover physical stress and step back physical trauma.
SFX: The Strongest One There Is! In a reaction against an opponent with a STRENGTH power, spend 1pp or step up your emotional stress to add a dice equal to their STRENGTH to your pool.
Limit: Weakened by the Dimensional Gate: Step back all GAMMA CHARGED GENETICS powers to gain 1pp. Take action vs the doom pool or participate in a transition scene to recover.

GLADIATORIAL ARSENAL

Weapon D8
Enhanced Durability D8

SFX: Hulk Slash! If your dice pool includes WEAPON, you may spend 1PP to reroll the dice pool.
SFX: Are you not Entertained? When inflicting emotional stress, remove the highest rolling dice from your pool and step up stress inflicted.
Limit: Gear: Shut down a GLADIATORIAL ARSENAL power to gain 1PP. Take action vs the doom pool to recover.

Combat Expert D8
Menace Master D10

WARBOUND

1 XP when you stand beside your allies in combat
3 XP when you create an asset or a resource for an ally.
10 XP when you either abandon your allies, or take physical trauma defending them.

UPON A TROUBLED BROW

1 XP when you oppose the authority of the Red King.
3 XP when you deny that you should rule in his stead.
10 XP when you take rulership, ruling Sakaar as the Green King, or leave the planet of Sakaar to languish under the iron fist of the tyrant.

The distinctions and milestones are pretty tied into Planet Hulk, but they're easy enough to change.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That is awesome. Any chance you'd do a Silver Savage and/or Red King to go with?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Just in case anyone might be interested but missed the thread, I'm starting up a new MHRP game.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558112

There's still a few days to apply before I make my picks, so if you like the kind of weirdness that the Defenders get into, this may be the game for you!

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Have a thing.

Nightwing! posted:

NIGHTWING

Solo d6
Buddy d8
Team d10

Always A Titan
Flying Grayson
Former Boy Wonder

LIFETIME OF TRAINING
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Stamina d8

SFX: Destined For Greatness. Step up or double a LIFETIME OF TRAINING power for one action. If the action fails, take mental stress equal to the normal rating of your power die.

SFX: Rallying Cry. Before you make an action including a LIFETIME OF TRAINING power, you may move your mental stress die to the doom pool and step up the LIFETIME OF TRAINING power for this action.

SFX: Teamwork. In a support action, add a d6 and step up the effect die.

Limit: Overworked. Earn 1 PP if you step up emotional or mental stress inflicted by letting down your friends or teammates.

TOOLS OF THE TRADE
Enhanced Durability d8
Swingline d6
Weapon d6

SFX: Escrima Sticks. Target an additional opponent and either add a d8 to your pool or step up your effect die. Keep an additional effect die.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown TOOLS OF THE TRADE and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. doom pool to recover.

Acrobatic Master d10
Combat Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Crime Expert d8
Menace Expert d8
Psych Expert d8
Vehicle Expert d8

SHADOW OF THE BAT
1 XP when you make a repeat a lesson you learned from your time working as Batman's sidekick.
3 XP when you make your history with Batman the central issue of a confrontation or conflict.
10 XP when you claim the title of Batman for yourself, or when you lead your own team of heroes to chart a path for yourself.

TITANS TOGETHER
1 XP when you give advice to a teenage hero.
3 XP when you defeat an old foe of the Teen Titans by yourself.
10 XP when you leave your team to mentor young heroes, or when you handpick a young hero to lead the next generation of Teen Titans.

Starfire! posted:

STARFIRE

Passionate
Supermodel Looks
Tamaranean Princess

Solo d8
Buddy d6
Team d10

MODIFIED TAMARANEAN
Energy Blast d10
Enhanced Durability d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Superhuman Strength d10
Supersonic Flight d10

SFX: Area Attack. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.

SFX: Fury. Before you make an action including a MODIFIED TAMARANEAN power, you may move your emotional stress die to the doom pool and double the MODIFIED TAMARANEAN power for this action.

SFX: Starbolt. Against a single target, step up or double Energy Blast. Remove the highest rolling die and add an additional die to your total.

Limit: Exhausted. Shutdown any MODIFIED TAMARANEAN power to gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.

Combat Master d10
Cosmic Expert d8
Menace Expert d8
Psych Expert d8

FREEDOM
1 XP when you discuss the period of your life when you were enslaved by the Citadel.
3 XP when you use your Fury SFX in the defense of another being's liberty.
10 XP when you liberate an entire subjugated people, or when your attempt fails and you yourself are imprisoned.

LOVE
1 XP when you flirt with a teammate.
3 XP when cultural differences lead to a conflict or confrontation between you and your romantic interest.
10 XP when you and your romantic interest become married, or when your differences prove to be too much and lead to your breakup.

Raven! posted:

RAVEN

Solo d8
Buddy d6
Team d10

Daughter of Trigon
Empathic Loner
Not From Around Here

ASTRAL PROJECTION
Intangibility d12
Invisibility d10

SFX: Without Form. Spend 1 PP to ignore physical stress caused by anyone attacking your astral form by mundane means.

Limit: The Empty Vessel. When your dice pool includes an ASTRAL PROJECTION power, adding a power from any other Power Set costs 1 PP. Your physical form remains where you left it, and for as long as you remain out of sight of it any stress or complications that target it directly are stepped up.

SOUL-SELF
Darkness Mastery d10
Mind Control d6
Subsonic Flight d8
Telepathy d10
Teleport d8

SFX: Area Attack. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.

SFX: Empathic Healing. Add Telepathy to your dice pool when helping others recover physical or mental stress. If this action fails, take mental stress equal to your effect die.

SFX: Raven Ascendant. Step up or double any SOUL-SELF power for one action. If the action fails, add a die to doom pool equal to the normal rating of your power die.

SFX: Versatile. Split Darkness Mastery or Telepathy into 2d8 or 3d6.

Limit: Barely In Control. Earn 1 PP if you step up emotional stress.

Limit: Growing Dread. If a pool uses the Raven Ascendant SFX, both 1s and 2s count as opportunities, but only 1s are excluded from being used for totals or effect dice.

Menace Expert d8
Mystic Master d10
Psych Expert d8

APOCALYPTIC DESTINY
1 XP when you discuss your father and the future he had planned for you.
3 XP when you inflict emotional trauma on an opponent.
10 XP when you witness the destruction of Trigon or the Cult of Blood, or when you embrace your destiny and lead the forces of darkness into battle.

OPENING UP
1 XP when you admit to a teammate that you feel a sense of kinship with them.
3 XP when you allow a friend to talk you into appearing in a social setting.
10 XP when your close connection to your friends teaches you how to use your powers with a greater level of control, or when you push your friends away for fear of what you might do to them.

Cyborg! posted:

CYBORG

Solo d6
Buddy d8
Team d10

Heart Of Gold
State Of The Art
Team Player

CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY
Enhanced Speed d8
Godlike Stamina d12
Sonic Blast d10
Subsonic Flight d8
Superhuman Durability d10
Superhuman Senses d10
Superhuman Strength d10

SFX: Boost. Shutdown your highest rated CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY power to step up another CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY power by +1. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.

SFX: Multipower. Use two or more CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.

Limit: Heavy Metal. On a magnetic attack, change any CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.

Limit: Rerouting Power. Shutdown any CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY power to gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.

Combat Expert d8
Tech Master d10
Vehicle Expert d8

MAKING YOUR OWN FAMILY
1 XP when you share a bonding experience with a member of your team.
3 XP when you first inflict physical stress on someone who has dealt emotional stress to a member of your team.
10 XP when you give up on an amazing opportunity so that you can continue to serve on the same team as your friends, or when you leave behind your team so that you can accomplish greater things.

POSTHUMAN
1 XP when you comment on an aspect of life you can no longer enjoy due to your cybernetic enhancements.
3 XP when your cybernetic nature allows you to survive something a human never could.
10 XP when you choose to give up on ever being fully human and dedicate your life to being a hero, or when you create the technology necessary to once again live a normal lifea free of superhuman abilities.

Beast Boy! posted:

BEAST BOY

Solo d6
Buddy d8
Team d10

Child Star
Not Easy Being Green
Won't Shut Up

ONE-MAN ZOO
Shapeshifting d10
Superhuman Stamina d10

SFX: Experienced Shifter. Add a d6 and step up your effect die when inflicting a complication on your target that is made possible by your current form's attributes.

SFX: Menagerie. Split Shapeshifting into 2d8 or 3d6.

SFX: Natural Weapons. Add a d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back highest die in pool. Step up physical stress inflicted.

SFX: Second Wind. Before you make an action including a ONE-MAN ZOO power, you may move your physical stress die to the doom pool and step up the ONE-MAN ZOO power for this action.

Limit: Animal Planet. You may only use shapeshifting to change into an animal, and that animal will always be green.

Limit: Conscious Activation. If stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown ONE-MAN ZOO. Recover ONE-MAN ZOO when stress is recovered or you awake.

Combat Expert d8
Psych Expert d8

COMIC RELIEF
1 XP when you make a joke about a friend or enemy.
3 XP when you receive stress from a teammate who does not appreciate one of your pranks.
10 XP when you destroy a friendship or relationship by making a joke at an inopportune time, or when you use your sense of humor to recover an ally's emotional or mental trauma.

THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE
1 XP when you first address an adoring fan, or treat someone as if they are your adoring fan.
3 XP when your fame or distinctive appearance make your life significantly difficult.
10 XP when you leave the world of superheroics for a life as a movie star, or when you use your fame to change the world in a big way.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Oh, these are GOOD. Really just excellent work, Claytor!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Personally, I'm happy to see how many games of MHR we have running on this forum now. We have four campaigns going now, yeah?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Defiance Industries posted:

Personally, I'm happy to see how many games of MHR we have running on this forum now. We have four campaigns going now, yeah?

Possibly about to be five since my job cut overtime as of this week.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Too.. much.. can't.. read.. them... all...

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

ibntumart posted:

Possibly about to be five since my job cut overtime as of this week.

I might be starting one as well once I finish the remaining 34 of these 52 datafiles I'm working on for an event guide.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I was also considering starting one, maybe in August. Exiles-based.

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 12, 2013

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Boy howdy, was this one a chore. Curse you, Jack Kirby!

quote:

MISTER MIRACLE (Scott Free)

Inspirational Figure
Scott Loves Barda
Unbreakable Resolve

FOURTH WORLD NATIVE
Enhanced Speed d8
Superhuman Reflexes d10
Superhuman Stamina d10
Superhuman Strength d10

SFX: Focus. If a pool includes a MISTER MIRACLE power, you may replace two dice of equal size with one die +1 step larger.

SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from aging, toxins, and diseases.

SFX: Second Wind. Before you make an action including a FOURTH WORLD NATIVE power, you may move your physical stress die to the doom pool and step up the FOURTH WORLD NATIVE power set by +1 for this action.

SFX: Untouchable. When using a stunt to create an asset or complication which will aid your escape from a deadly situation, add a d6 and step up your effect die.

Limit: Needs To Be Free. Earn 1 PP if you step up emotional stress inflicted by confinement or the threat of confinement by +1.

MISTER MIRACLE'S COSTUME
Energy Blast d10
Enhanced Durability d8
Flight d8

SFX: I Made It Myself. Spend 1 PP to step up any Acrobatic or Tech resource.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown MISTER MIRACLE'S COSTUME and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover.

MOTHER BOX
Energy Blast d10
Gravity Control d8
Superhuman Senses d10
Technology Control d8
Teleport d12
Transmutation d8

SFX: Rejuvenation. Spend 1 PP to recover your own or another's physical stress or step back your own or another's physical trauma.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown MOTHER BOX and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover.

Limit: Mind Of Its Own. When your dice pool includes a MOTHER BOX power, adding a power from any other Power Set costs 1 PP.

Acrobatic Master d10
Combat Master d10
Cosmic Expert d8
Covert Expert d8
Science Expert d8
Tech Master d10

NEW GENESIS
1 XP when you explain an aspect of Fourth World life to a friend or bystander.
3 XP when your status as son of the Highfather gets you into trouble.
10 XP when you succeed your father and become the next Highfather of New Genesis, or when you aid in the liberation of thousands of Apokoliptian citizens.

WORLDS' GREATEST ESCAPE ARTIST
1 XP when you create an Acrobatic or Tech resource.
3 XP when you single-handedly rescue a teammate from a life-threatening situation.
10 XP when you escape an inescapable trap, or when you give up your own freedom to save someone close to you.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Seeing as there seems to be a rising interest in MHR, maybe someone should create a general MHR IRC room on synIRC? Kinda like how #acolyte exists for 40k rpg's. I'd create it myself, but the last two times I created an IRC room for my MHR games, one of my players ended up as the OP instead of me.

But having a general IRC room would help new players and watchers by letting them ask questions to people who aren't a part of the game they're in, and we could link several helpful resources in the topic, such as the Player Cheat Sheet.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I think that'd be pretty great. Although I still haven't figured out how to stop IRC from kicking me after 1-2 hours of inactivity. If I could stay on more often, I think it'd be really nice to chat with the community, and share tips and whatnot.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That would be good as long as nobody uses it to realize I'm just making rules up when I'm not sure what they are.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I think that'd be pretty great. Although I still haven't figured out how to stop IRC from kicking me after 1-2 hours of inactivity. If I could stay on more often, I think it'd be really nice to chat with the community, and share tips and whatnot.

That's better than me. Chrome doesn't like SyncIRC for some reason (at least, not on my PC), so I'm sometimes not even able to get to a room to be randomly kicked out of.

Claytor posted:

I might be starting one as well once I finish the remaining 34 of these 52 datafiles I'm working on for an event guide.

Whoa, that's a hell of an Event Guide you're writing up. Does this have anything to do with the Teen Titans datafiles you posted recently?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm not too skilled with IRC commands like setting topics but I just created #makeminemhr if people want to use it!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Little Mac posted:

I was also considering starting one, maybe in August. Exiles-based.

An Exiles game is the first thing I thought of when I started checking this system out but I do not know the system enough at all to consider running it myself.

(what i'm saying is yes run this game and do it on SA so i can make an app for it)

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

ibntumart posted:

Whoa, that's a hell of an Event Guide you're writing up. Does this have anything to do with the Teen Titans datafiles you posted recently?

Sure does. Working on an Identity Crisis event guide, as the timeline coincides with Avengers Disassembled so well that it'll be easy to incorporate DC characters into the Marvel universe or run Identity Crisis with Marvel characters as a Disassembled alternative. Like the Civil War event book, I'm trying to structure it with an eye toward the event being fun even for people who hated the actual comic.

quote:

AQUAMAN

Solo d10
Buddy d6
Team d8

Atlantean/Human Hybrid
Fierce Temper
King of the Seven Seas

DEFENDER OF ATLANTIS
Aquatic Life Control d8
Enhanced Durability d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Senses d8
Enhanced Stamina d8
Enhanced Strength d8
Swimming d8
Water Blast d8

SFX: Aquatic Ace. Add more than one DEFENDER OF ATLANTIS power die to your pool for an action. If that action fails, add a die to the doom pool for each power die equal to the rating of that power die.

SFX: Dehydration. Add a d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back highest die in pool by -1. Step up physical stress inflicted by +1.

SFX: Healing Hand. Add Water Blast to your dice pool when helping others recover stress. Spend 1 PP to recover an ally's physical stress or step back their trauma by -1.

SFX: Second Wind. Before you make an action including a DEFENDER OF ATLANTIS power, you may move your physical stress die to the doom pool and step up the DEFENDER OF ATLANTIS power by +1 for this action.

Limit: Water-Breather. Shutdown a DEFENDER OF ATLANTIS power to gain 1 PP. Immerse yourself in water to recover all powers lost this way.

Combat Expert d8
Menace Expert d8
Mystic Expert d8
Psych Expert d8

MARINE MARVEL
1 XP when you remind a hero that you are responsible for the safety of two thirds of the planet.
3 XP when you defeat a foe who has been a threat to the oceans in the past.
10 XP when you ensure that a threat to the oceans will never be able to harm them again, or when you leave your team so that you can commit full-time to protecting the seven seas.

SUB DIEGO
1 XP when you talk with a citizen of Sub Diego, or an expert who may help you to help them.
3 XP when you rescue the people of Sub Diego from an imminent threat.
10 XP when you find a way to return the people of Sub Diego to their original, air-breathing selves, or when you declare yourself ruler of this new kingdom.

quote:

BATMAN
Solo d8, Buddy d10, Team d6

Billionaire Playboy
Dark Knight
Guardian of Gotham

LIFETIME OF TRAINING
Enhanced Durability d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Stamina d8
Enhanced Strength d8
Psychic Resistance d10

SFX: Batman Has No Limits. Shutdown a LIFETIME of TRAINING power to step up another LIFETIME OF TRAINING power for one action. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.

SFX: Best Part of the Job. Add d6 and step up effect die by +1 when you use your Menace specialty to strike terror in the hearts of evildoers.

SFX: Contingency Plan. Spend 1 PP to borrow the highest die in the doom pool as an asset for your next action, then step back and return the doom die.

SFX: Fighting Dirty. In a pool including a Lifetime of Training die, replace two dice of equal size with one die +1 step larger.

Limit: One Rule. Earn 1 PP when you step up emotional stress related to your inability to prevent all loss of life in a dangerous situation.

UTILITY BELT
Enhanced Senses d8
Swingline d6
Weapon d6

SFX: Batarang Volley. Step up or double Weapon die against a single target. Remove highest-rolling die and add an additional die to your total.

SFX: WayneTech. Spend 1 PP to step up a Science, Tech, or Vehicle resource.

SFX: Wonderful Toys. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when using UTILITY BELT to create assets.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown a Utility Belt power and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover.

Acrobatic Expert d8
Business Master d10
Combat Master d10
Covert Master d10
Crime Master d10
Menace Master d10
Psych Master d10
Science Expert d8
Tech Expert d8
Vehicle Expert d8

THE BATMAN FAMILY
1 XP when you first interact with a hero you've helped to train.
3 XP when you welcome another hero into your inner circle.
10 XP when a hero you've helped to train is killed in the line of duty, or when you drive away your associates to keep them out of harm's way.

JUST A MAN
1 XP when you threaten an opponent who does not consider you to be a physical threat.
3 XP when you stress out a superhuman with a Science, Tech, or Vehicle asset.
10 XP when you defeat a cosmic-level threat, or when the attempt leaves you so beaten and broken that you choose a successor.

quote:

ELONGATED MAN (Ralph Dibny)

Solo d6
Buddy d10
Team d8

Amateur Chemist
Loving Husband
World's Greatest Detective

GINGO-ENHANCED BODY
Enhanced Durability d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Speed d8
Stretching d10

SFX: Area Attack. Add d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.

SFX: Grapple. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when inflicting a grapple-based complication on a target.

SFX: Nose For Trouble. Spend 1 PP to reroll a failed reaction.

SFX: Versatile. Split Stretching into 2d8 or 3d6.

Limit: Tied In Knots. Change any GINGO-ENHANCED BODY power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.

Acrobatic Expert d8
Combat Expert d8
Crime Master d10
Psych Expert d8
Science Expert d8

HEART OF THE LEAGUE
1 XP when you try to make light of a dangerous situation.
3 XP when you help a member of your team recover physical or emotional stress.
10 XP when you make sure that Sue is made an honorary member of your team, or when you take time off from the hero business to start a family.

ON THE CASE
1 XP when you use your Crime specialty to find a clue that has gone overlooked by other detectives.
3 XP when you name a suspect who has not been investigated by anyone else on the case.
10 XP when you are the first to solve an important case, proving yourself the best detective in the world, or when you step away from the mystery game to solve more important matters.

Claytor fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 15, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Would anyone care to critique my draft write-up of Nimrod? I'm rather fond of this hot pink-and-white death robot and want to do the character justice.

NIMROD (Nimrod)

Affiliations
Solo D10 Buddy D6 Team D8

Distinctions
Ultimate Sentinel
Relentless Hunter
Only Good Mutant Is a Dead Mutant

Power Sets

HUNTER-SEEKER AND INFILTRATION MODULE

Durability D10
Godlike Senses D12
Supersonic Flight D10
Shapeshifting D10
Teleport D8
Telekinesis D10
Transmutation D8

SFX: Force Field. Spend a doom die to step up or double Durability.
SFX: Shielded Scanners. Spend a doom die to ignore blindness, deafness, or other sense-based attacks or complications.
Limit: Distintegrator Ray. TRANSMUTATION only affects non-living matter and can only degrade structural integrity.
Limit: Pressor-Tractor Beam. TELEKINESIS only affects a single target and can only push or pull the target toward Nimrod in a straight line.

ASSAULT AND MOBILE JUDGMENT ARRAY

Plasma Beam D12
Leech D10
Stamina D12
Superhuman Strength D10

SFX: Versatile Weaponry. Substitute one of the following descriptors for PLASMA BEAM power: HEAT BEAM or ELECTRICAL BOLT.
SFX: Shock-Web. Area attack. Add a D6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: Matrix Battle Computer. In a reaction against an opponent using a Combat or Acrobatics Specialty, spend a doom die to add a die equal to the opponent’s Combat or Acrobatics to a dice pool.
SFX: Inhibitor Field. When creating Power Loss complications on multiple targets, add a d8 for each additional target, keep an additional effect die for each target, and step up each effect die used for a Power Loss complication.
Limit: Psionic Shutdown. LEECH only affects psionic-based powers.

Specialties
Combat Master D10
Covert Expert D8
Menace Master D10
Tech Master D10

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 24, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

First, I love the Versatile Weaponry SFX, and will probably have to borrow that idea for future use (it's so simple that it's genius!) Second, have you considered splitting the powers into two, or possibly even three power sets? In addition to making him deadlier by virtue of increased pool potential, and versatility, it would definitely help to de-clutter his datafile. It's a lot to take in as a solid block of awesome powers!

Edit: I'm also not sure why he has Crime Master, but maybe it's something I just don't know about the character?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Alright, so earlier Kellsterik created #makeminemhr, but since he probably never registered his nick, I ended up as OP for the channel. Decided to just roll with it and have registered #makeminemhr and have put the player cheat sheet in the topic. If anyone else has suggestions on what to add to the topic, feel free to tell me either in here or in the IRC channel. Volunteers for channel OPs would also be nice, since I'm not on all day.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Phone posting, but I'm marathoning The Venture Bros. and I felt compelled to make this:

Brock Samson (public)

Solo d10, Buddy d6, Team d8

Buttercream Frosted Murder Cake
The Most Feared Man in Espionage
"They Hit Me With a Truck..."

Living Legend
Durability d8, Reflexes d8, Stamina d8, Strength d8, Speed d6, Swimming d6

SFX: Super Kill-Guy. Add a die from the doom pool to one or more attack actions. Step up the doom pool by +1 for each action; return it to the doom pool when you're done.

SFX: 1/2 Swedish, 1/4 Polish, 1/4 Winnebago. Use two or more Living Legend powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.

SFX: Bodyguard. Spend 1 PP to take Physical stress intended for a nearby ally or friend.

SFX: Bring it On! Before you make an action including a Living Legend power, you may move your Physical stress die to the doom pool and step up the Living Legend power by +1 for this action.

Limit: Hidden Pain. Step up mental or emotional stress included in an action that targets you and gain 1 PP. Step back stress by –1 step if the action fails.

This is My Field Kit
Knife d8

SFX: Prey on Their Fear. Target multiple opponents. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target when you attempt to afflict your opponents with an Intimidated complication.

SFX: Feel the Kill. Add a d6 to your dice pool for an attack action and step back highest die in pool by -1. Step up Physical stress inflicted by +1.

Limit: Gear. Shutdown Knife and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover.

Specialties:
Acrobatic Expert, Combat Master, Crime Expert, Covert Expert, Menace Master, Tech Expert, Vehicle Expert

Slayer of Men... Slayer of Hench-Men...
1xp when you defeat an enemy with extreme overkill
3xp when you stress out a non-mob-die, non-specialist opponent, in a single action
10xp when you finally fight a worthy opponent to a stalemate

Can't Teach a Hammer to Love Nails
1xp when a situation actually breaks through your stoic exterior
3xp when you feel regret for killing someone
10xp when you either seek out deeper meaning or true love in your life, or accept the fact that you are merely a government trained killing machine

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 24, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

First, I love the Versatile Weaponry SFX, and will probably have to borrow that idea for future use (it's so simple that it's genius!)

Thanks!

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Second, have you considered splitting the powers into two, or possibly even three power sets? In addition to making him deadlier by virtue of increased pool potential, and versatility, it would definitely help to de-clutter his datafile. It's a lot to take in as a solid block of awesome powers!

That's a very good idea, actually. I'll have to figure out a logical split, but it'll be worth it.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Edit: I'm also not sure why he has Crime Master, but maybe it's something I just don't know about the character?

This was based on my misremembering an old story arc when he moved in with the Rodriguez family, started helping their kid with homework, and adopted a human secret identity as well as becoming a vigilante. (He let people think he was a normal dude in powered armor, not a genocide machine from the future.) I thought I remembered him hitting the streets for information; in retrospect, however, I think Nimrod mostly just used computers, satellites, and his own sensor array to track down people.

So the Crime Master specialty should go.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Phone posting, but I'm marathoning The Venture Bros. and I felt compelled to make this:

Brock Samson (public)

I may reskin him, but this Brock write-up is definitely going to wind up being an NPC next time I run a game. I especially love the Buttercream Frosted Murder Cake Distinction.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Glad you like it. I spent way too long trying to think of good references to name everything after. Just out of curiosity, who would you re-skin him as? Or was that just in general?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Astus posted:

Alright, so earlier Kellsterik created #makeminemhr, but since he probably never registered his nick, I ended up as OP for the channel. Decided to just roll with it and have registered #makeminemhr and have put the player cheat sheet in the topic. If anyone else has suggestions on what to add to the topic, feel free to tell me either in here or in the IRC channel. Volunteers for channel OPs would also be nice, since I'm not on all day.

We set a record of four people tonight :v: (But seriously it's growing quickly, which is pretty awesome.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Glad you like it. I spent way too long trying to think of good references to name everything after. Just out of curiosity, who would you re-skin him as? Or was that just in general?

Who might we reskin him as indeed, Danger. Who indeed.

:stare:

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Rock Handsome?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Well, just looking at your avatar and the emoticon makes me think you're suggesting a drunk psychopath Tony Stark?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, most of my posts give people the impression that I'm a drunken Tony Stark who's a marginally shittier person, so that's pretty normal of you to say.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Honestly, I would find an excuse to make a scene with Brock happen, even if it's in an Annihilation campaign on the Kree homeworld. (Hmmm... Brock the Accuser? Feels "Ultimate Weapons are for the weak?" Sweet vintage space Charger?)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really want to like this game, but I don't know if I can get my regular group into a game where every dice roll is a 7-step process plus 4 things you can do with PP before the roll and 4 things you can do with PP after the roll.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Pre-recruitment question for y'all. Is there interest in a Days of Future Past Redux? This will involve mutant registration, political assassinations, time travel, and Sentinels (yes, definitely maybe even Nimrod the badass math tutor up there). This would not be epic in length, but I would be cool with expanding it if PCs want to keep exploring a hellish future and trying to right wrongs. Or just coming back to the present and going "Whew, glad I don't have to live in that hellhole, when's that Annihilation Event going to start up anyway?"

The other thing I'm considering is a SWORD new recruit Event that would probably lead up to Annihilation and would definitely have the PCs become space cops gallivanting around the cosmos. (Though honestly, if the Days of Future Past Redux ends with everyone back in their own time, this would probably be the next Event I'd run anyway. Except maybe make them time cops as well, which reminds me that I need to stat up Kang the Conqueror this week.)

Halloween Jack posted:

I really want to like this game, but I don't know if I can get my regular group into a game where every dice roll is a 7-step process plus 4 things you can do with PP before the roll and 4 things you can do with PP after the roll.

I don't see it as a seven step process. Basically, it's like most other games: you look at your sheet and figure out what stats apply, then roll the relevant dice. For games that use Aspects like FUDGE and FATE, it's even more natural, I would think.

As for the stuff you can do with Plot Points, that's something you can ease them into. I mean, they don't have to use them or earn them to play the game... but you can show them how much more dynamic and fun it can be by pointing out a good use of a PP now and then the first session.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

The plot points aren't hard, just obfuscated and with redundant options. And the game makes the whole thing look much harder than it is.

Things you can do with a plot point before the roll:

Add a dice to the dice pool.
  • D6 if you can't be bothered to describe why you're doing it (no one ever does this) - a push
  • d8 if you describe why you're doing it - a stunt
  • d10 if there's a drat good reason like an opportunity in play or you just corpsed the table with your description.

For simplicity when I teach the game I treat using a second power from a powerset as a stunt and just ignore that some really powerful people can get d10s or even d12s by the RAW. Encouraging people to stunt is more fun and more interesting. And no one ever includes their own stress - it's never worth it until d10 and unless you're playing second wind shenanigans no one ever wants to step up d10 stress on themselves.

Things you can do with a plot point after the roll:

Keep an extra dice from the dice pool
  • An extra dice to add to your total score
  • An effect dice to counterattack (so you have one effect dice in your pool on the defence
  • An effect dice to add a second target
  • An effect dice to mess someone up by adding a complication or a different type of stress

Or to sum up, a plot point before the roll just adds another dice to the pool. After the roll it just keeps another dice from the pool.

And for the seven step process, drop assets and resources until someone tries to create them. And it's "Run down your character sheet. One dice from each category if relevant. Then your opponent's stress and complication (if any)." Keep two.

And I'd be interested in Days of Future Past (and have only the haziest memories of that storyline).

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd be interested in DoFP but, to be honest, I always mix parts of it up with Bishop's future, probably as a consequence of the 90s cartoon that combined the two.

• Locked thread