Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Sharmat posted:

Well she is and she isn't. She's clearly kind of conflicted about the whole thing. She asks Geralt for some sign of commitment in the first game but also says that if he doesn't do it she won't say anything more and will try to understand...which she does. She's also willing to help Geralt find Yennefer even though she has to understand what'll probably happen when they meet again.

Yeah but if you try to actually give something to get she's all like "not with Alvin around" or some crap like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
It's only been a few weeks since I murdered Ahved but it seems an underwear craze is sweeping Temeria.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Sweetling posted:

Just edit that XML file. Also, is there a mod that removes that green aura when you chug potions?

I don't have any loose xml files when the fcr mod installed, let alone a cookedpc/abilities folder... should I have one? I guess I'm really just wondering if the FCR mod changed the geralt_basic.xml file, so that I wouldn't have to go about learning how to use red tools to do the xml stuff.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't have any loose xml files when the fcr mod installed, let alone a cookedpc/abilities folder... should I have one? I guess I'm really just wondering if the FCR mod changed the geralt_basic.xml file, so that I wouldn't have to go about learning how to use red tools to do the xml stuff.

If it doesn't exist after FCR was installed then it's probably separate. You can safely copy the file linked in the first post; that's what I did.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

"hey whoa there is 40+ new posts in the Witcher thread, I wonder wha-" :stare:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah but if you try to actually give something to get she's all like "not with Alvin around" or some crap like that.

I think you have to wait until night or something. I can't remember.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
As far as I could tell it never worked. I waited until certain times of day, woke her up (which she hated even more), did quests to try and advance the plot or whatever and nothing.

Shani was frigid.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Sounds like a glitch. I got it to work.

Then she complained about the KIND of ring I got.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Then she complained about the KIND of ring I got.

Sounds like real life to me.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I definitely felt for Geralt in that segment where he gets drunk with Dandelion and Zoltan.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Replaying Witcher 2 to try the Iorveth path.

I gotta say, the Iorveth path really feels like the "real" story of Witcher 2. The only oddness comes from the whole Oh, by the way we killed 2 witchers and Letho got away.

Its neat the game really makes you pick what aspect of the story you find more interesting. The Elder race's struggle or tracking down the assassin.

Iorveth becomes much less of a dick in Act 2, I like him a lot more. We're bros now. :3:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snuffman posted:

Replaying Witcher 2 to try the Iorveth path.

I gotta say, the Iorveth path really feels like the "real" story of Witcher 2. The only oddness comes from the whole Oh, by the way we killed 2 witchers and Letho got away.

Is that any less odd than on Roche's path where oh here's a dragon again by the way

I picked Iorveth the first time just because he seemed like he was in a lot bigger hurry to get to Vergen, which is of course where Triss and Letho went.

I think it says a lot about the game though that I've seen different people describe either path as feeling like the "real" path.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

Is that any less odd than on Roche's path where oh here's a dragon again by the way

I picked Iorveth the first time just because he seemed like he was in a lot bigger hurry to get to Vergen, which is of course where Triss and Letho went.

I think it says a lot about the game though that I've seen different people describe either path as feeling like the "real" path.

Good point on the dragon. Yeah, the dragon really comes out of nowhere on the Roche path.

Both stories have their odd parts.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well you haven't actually completed the game if you haven't done both paths anyway. :colbert:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

If anything, Vergen is a much more interesting area to look at and explore than a big mud pit with wooden palisades is.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

And the people are much nicer too. Well, the peasants and the nobility are both dicks in their own way, but who doesn't want to hang out with some dwarf bros from way back?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Ugh, I've played this game twice now - first with Iorveth and now with Roche, and I just can't get myself to finish it either time. I think it's because the challenge starts to fade after Flotsam, or maybe I just get tired of running back and forth...I'm not sure.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

oswald ownenstein posted:

Ugh, I've played this game twice now - first with Iorveth and now with Roche, and I just can't get myself to finish it either time. I think it's because the challenge starts to fade after Flotsam, or maybe I just get tired of running back and forth...I'm not sure.

Exactly how far have you gotten both times?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

SpRahl posted:

Exactly how far have you gotten both times?

First time through I think I got to Chapter 3, and I've done several quests in Vergen this time through and that's about the time I just lost interest. I know the story is good, and I love TW, but for some reason the combat has just bored the poo poo out of me (and I'm playing on hard).

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If you were in chapter three you were mere hours away from completing the game. It's the shortest chapter by a good deal.

Lifetime77
May 20, 2007

Hello Bastards.

oswald ownenstein posted:

First time through I think I got to Chapter 3, and I've done several quests in Vergen this time through and that's about the time I just lost interest. I know the story is good, and I love TW, but for some reason the combat has just bored the poo poo out of me (and I'm playing on hard).

I beat the game for the first time tonight after starting and stopping 3 times since the release of the game with my furthest play through being getting to about half way through flotsam. To put it into perspective I beat chapter 3 in one long sitting tonight which was roughly 5 hours. The epilogue was about another 30 minutes.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
If I install FCR, should I restart the game? I'm 10 hours in and I'd really rather not, but then it seems like I'll be missing some things, like a few skills.

Well, I did anyway and I think that's the way to go. Also, is there some button I can press to slow down time without the meditate/sign menu? It looks cool.

ElProducto fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 21, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ElProducto posted:

If I install FCR, should I restart the game? I'm 10 hours in and I'd really rather not, but then it seems like I'll be missing some things, like a few skills.

Well, I did anyway and I think that's the way to go. Also, is there some button I can press to slow down time without the meditate/sign menu? It looks cool.

I think you have to, actually.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I love how in Act 2, Iorveth's Act 2 that is, when you go to talk to Philippa at her house and Geralt and is about to knock on the door until he hears moaning and then stops and barges instead. No need to knock if someone is having sex, he knows he's always welcome.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

sebmojo posted:

I think you have to, actually.

You don't have to, but It starts you out with so many more skills, you'd be really far behind if you didn't, and it seems like the combat is more challenging and you need those.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

WASDF posted:

I love how in Act 2, Iorveth's Act 2 that is, when you go to talk to Philippa at her house and Geralt and is about to knock on the door until he hears moaning and then stops and barges instead. No need to knock if someone is having sex, he knows he's always welcome.

I'm pretty sure he was just trying to catch them in the act.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
At which point Philippa just kinda turns to him and smirks, daring him to say something, because she's a 300 year old sorceress and she gives no fucks.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Hey, quick question about a particular item being imported from TW1 to TW2. I've got a final save from my playthrough of the first game here that I'm ready to import into the second game, but there's a slight oddity:

At the end of the first game, after the final battle, I chose to fight and kill the King of the Wild Hunt rather than let him have the Grand Master's remains. After I defeated him, though, I couldn't loot his remains because of a bug (one that others have experienced, according to the GOG forums). Apparently, if you loot the King of the Wild Hunt's remains, you'll find a special item called the Wild Hunt's Vapors or the Vapors of the Hunt or something similar.

I want to know if having that item has any impact on TW2, as I understand that most of your inventory carries over. Can you use it in a recipe later? Does having it or not having it affect dialogue later? Does it have any purpose at all in TW2? I'd hate to miss out on something I should have been able to access were it not for a bug.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Nope, don't worry about it! There's a few swords that could import (steel: Ard'aenye, D'yaebl, G'valchir/Mahakaman Rune Sihil, Gwalhir; silver: Aerondight, Moon Blade), the Raven armor, and roughly 1% of your orens.

Here's all the details on what's imported from the first game. http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Saved_game_import

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

FrickenMoron posted:

This is one problem I have with her, after reading the books she's clearly taking advantage of the whole situation at the start of the Witcher game. She's way more involved with Geralt than a lot of other characters from his past though. I think it's going to be hard though to make people who haven't read the books care about Yennefer in TW3.

And I think it's a great piece of characterization. It's a much more subtle thing than most, if any, games ever attempt. Most games would just have her be the evil woman who is using the main character and then betrays you, but that's not really what's happening here at all. As TheSharmat said she is taking advantage to some extent, though she realizes it and probably feels bad.

She has a chance to be with this person she's adored forever and it turns out they are pretty good together. She also actually wants Geralt to remember his past even though she's got to realize what it means for her. I'm really curious to see how they handle it in part 3 - hopefully they'll continue the good writing. I remember seeing an interview where a developer basically said one of the major plot lines involves picking which of the two sorceress Geralt stays with, which has a lot of potential. Picking Yennifer probably wouldn't end that explosively - I can't see Triss betraying Geralt or becoming an enemy. But picking Triss...there are a lot of places that could go.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I wish 3 was coming out in the next few months instead of sometime next year, gently caress.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Nope, don't worry about it! There's a few swords that could import (steel: Ard'aenye, D'yaebl, G'valchir/Mahakaman Rune Sihil, Gwalhir; silver: Aerondight, Moon Blade), the Raven armor, and roughly 1% of your orens.

Here's all the details on what's imported from the first game. http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Saved_game_import

Good to know! Thanks for such a prompt response. The OP has also been a godsend for getting ready for TW2, so thanks for that too.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

But picking Triss...there are a lot of places that could go.

Yennefer is the final boss, you heard it here first.

hopterque posted:

I wish 3 was coming out in the next few months instead of sometime next year, gently caress.

I don't. I still haven't saved up enough for a computer that has the faintest hope of running it.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Sharmat posted:

Yennefer is the final boss, you heard it here first.

I don't. I still haven't saved up enough for a computer that has the faintest hope of running it.

Well, if you can run two you'll probably be fine.

But yeah having a powerful computer is a pretty important thing for this game, it's a world of difference between 20-30 fps on medium settings and 60 fps with everything turned up (except ubersampling, obviously, that's just silly).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hopterque posted:

But yeah having a powerful computer is a pretty important thing for this game, it's a world of difference between 20-30 fps on medium settings and 60 fps with everything turned up (except ubersampling, obviously, that's just silly).

Just as a benchmark, the requirements for high settings are lower than they were before they finished patching it: I've got a Phenom II triple core at 3.2 ghz, 3 gig memory and a GTX 460 with 1 gig and it runs nicely on high settings at 1080p. That's a pretty average gaming sytem these days.

But I agree you should wait until you have at least a conlarable system before playing it, it's too pretty to waste.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

hopterque posted:

I can run Witcher 2 but on far from the highest settings, which makes me think Witcher 3 will be borderline. I'm long overdue for an upgrade.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Hey Witcher goons. I didn't finish the first game due to my many hours long save file getting corrupted, but I picked up the second during the Steam sale and have been cursing and reloading my way through it slowly. Does anyone recommend the books at all? If so, where should I start, and what is a good reading order? Or is it fairly clear? And is anything worth skipping?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The books are pretty good, though I preferred the short story anthologies. The thing to know is that the publisher of the English translations skipped the second book in the series. There's a decent fan translation available though. So current reading order is I believe

Last Wish
Sword of Destiny (Fan translation)
Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt

The rest of the books are not yet in English.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Why would he skip the second one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WASDF posted:

Why would he skip the second one?

No idea honestly, other than ignorance of how important they are. These are not loosely connected "adventures of Geralt," but each short story is told in chronological order, and both books build up all the characters and background exposition you need for the 5 book saga, while remaining solid stories in their own right. Having read the fan translated "Sword of Destiny" I couldn't imagine my life before finding out who Ciri is or what have you. Not to mention they are quite the emotional rollercoaster between Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri.[/i]

• Locked thread