Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the NECA figures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Blackheart posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the NECA figures?

Shoddy paint apps, limited articulation, overly tight joints, spotty plastic quality, and parts 3 & 4 combining to joints often snapping less than 10 minutes after the figure's removed from the box.

Oh, and for some reason the plastic smells. Like, unlike any other figure line. It's eerie.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 21, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

NECA is a weird loving company, because they'll knock out a frankly, fantastic toy (like their Gordon Freeman is just, absolutely brilliant.) and then turn around and spray awful toys in every direction. Like specifically they seem to gently caress up on precision paint apps, like eyes. If you're ever buying Portal 2's Chell, like, pull out the ENTIRE RACK and look at every single Chell (or GOW3 Anya) because like, sometimes the BEST one will look like THIS

This means that ordering a lot of NECA figures online is BRUTAL because you just DON'T know what you're getting. They really need to be seen in hand.

That said, where the sculpts are often fantastic, they get in the way of articulation and posability. NECA often feels like they're making cheap, tiny statues out of lovely, smelly plastic than actual good toys. Their Team Fortress toys can barely stand because the joint tolerances can't support the barrel-chested, tiny-ankled designs. The Pacific Rim toys have articulation that's honestly NICE, but it feels like it wasn't designed with the actual DESIGN in mind, so everything gets in its own way and limits any actual articulation afforded by the engineering.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 21, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Wow! I had only seen them in pictures, which sort of hide those problems. Just wanted to know anyway, I don't collect other stuff outside TFs these days. I just know that "smelly plastic" issue you guys mention would drive me mad, and I'm a bit OCD when a figure has small imperfections so these definitely aren't for me.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

to be fair, that Chell does look pretty nice posed.

On a shelf.

On the other side of the room.

In the dark.

With the LED on in the portal gun.

The Gordon Freeman they did is absolutely loving fantastic though, I love it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh, and for some reason the plastic smells.
So between this and Rei's astoundingly horrifying image from here on in whenever someone runs up and down the thread bitching about how X line or Y figure had shoddy motel sheet thin plastic I'm going to be thinking to myself "Well it least it doesn't smell like downbreed Chell"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rei_ posted:

to be fair, that Chell does look pretty nice posed.

On a shelf.

On the other side of the room.

In the dark.

With the LED on in the portal gun.

The Gordon Freeman they did is absolutely loving fantastic though, I love it.
I've got the Chell figure, I managed to get one that actually looks good.

Not going to deny that NECA has questionable quality control. They're at their best when they're making non-human figures. I've got pretty much all of their Predators, and they all kick rear end.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Mission accomplished.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

Mission accomplished.

drat you. I just shelled out $200 for the Hong Kong exclusive version from RK because I figured there's no way I'll find an SDCC Metroplex over in Tokyo for under $300

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Am I the only one who isn't really that excited for Metroplex? I mean, I've never been a price speculator, it's so large that finding a proper display for it at my place will be near-impossible, the weight would probably make posing tricky as well, and the alt-modes are... yeah. It's nice that it's happening, but I don't get the insane rush/desire for it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The alt-modes suck, no question, but it's a 2-foot Transformer that talks. And if it sells well enough, Hasbro has said they will do more of that size. If buying this puts us one step closer to a 2-foot Trypticon or Scorponok, then it was already money well spent.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I like Metroplex. I'm just not too excited about paying $200+ for the hong kong version.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I'm gonna do my best to get an SDCC one whatever day they go up this week, but if I miss it, I miss it. Chrome and a few extra paint apps aren't world ending for me, but since its the only thing I want from SDCC this year, its gonna make my HTS chances a lot better with only putting one item in my cart.

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
If t all possible, I would greatly appreciate an SDCC Metroplex. The extra gun is worth the expenses, to me anyway.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I believe Hasbro completely sold out of Metroplexes at SDCC on Saturday. I don't think that means they didn't earmark some for sale on the website, but word at the show is that they're gone here.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I've got the Chell figure, I managed to get one that actually looks good.

Not going to deny that NECA has questionable quality control. They're at their best when they're making non-human figures. I've got pretty much all of their Predators, and they all kick rear end.

Their Predator Dutch is one of the greatest things made this year. They can do good humans too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

Mission accomplished.

Assuming you don't want that entire GI-Joe/Transformers set, would you be willing to part with the Baroness figure in exchange for some :20bux: ?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
If I see Metroplex at retail and I have the money, I'll buy him. I wont be heartbroken if that never happens. I mean that's a TON of real estate for a toy I'm not HUGELY excited about.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Assuming you don't want that entire GI-Joe/Transformers set, would you be willing to part with the Baroness figure in exchange for some :20bux: ?

The Baroness figure is one of the main reasons I bought it, so no. I'd have rather had the statue, but I guess this is the best we're going to get.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
When do the exclusives go on sale at HTS? Is it Monday or Tuesday?

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

WendigoJohnson posted:

When do the exclusives go on sale at HTS? Is it Monday or Tuesday?

I looked up my order last year, it was Thursday.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Is there any difference between Platinum Grimlock and regular Voyager grimlock? I wanna get the platinum set for the Bruticus that looks exactly like the SDCC one, I'm just curious if there's any change in grimlock at all because I've yet to find a Voyager.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Is there any difference between Platinum Grimlock and regular Voyager grimlock? I wanna get the platinum set for the Bruticus that looks exactly like the SDCC one, I'm just curious if there's any change in grimlock at all because I've yet to find a Voyager.

Its got a new paint job. Looks like it might be the Takara paint job.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The Rage posted:

Its got a new paint job. Looks like it might be the Takara paint job.

It's different from the Takara one (no red crotch) but better than regular retail colors, with more paint apps and golden chest.

vvv Eh, I understand it's a divisive mold but I like both Bruticus and Grimlock enough that I just ordered the platinum edition. Now I'm torn between selling my G2 Brut, or keep 'im to have two Bruticuses (bruticii?) with different configurations. It's a very fun mold if you mistransform the limbs a bit. vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 22, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And yet, it still has that gaping hole, large enough to hold an entire Legends figure. Pass.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

The Baroness figure is one of the main reasons I bought it, so no. I'd have rather had the statue, but I guess this is the best we're going to get.
D'oh. Thanks anyway. :)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Keldroc posted:

Mission accomplished.

:smuggo:

I have no clue what the hell I need two for, but the guy next to me offered to purchase one (to buy off him) if I did the same for him with the Boba Fett figure they were selling. Starscream looks fantastic next to him:

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
Where would be a reliable place to price figures for selling? I just acquired a very huge lot of robits.

Also...^^^ You wouldn't happen to be interested in selling that second one, would you?

PriNcessofDarXness fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So the only difference from the regular metroplex and the SDCC is vaccumized metal hips, and extra gun, and decoys? I doubt that they'll be on sale for more than 2 minutes on HTS, but they don't seem THAT different to warrant an extra 25-30 bucks in price hiking. You can always get an extra gun and the decoys look like something that can be made with a 3d printer. I just hope the hip chrome isn't Transmetal Rattrap quality.

I'm glad it's not that different compared to the regular release and the takara release because if it was an entirely different character that would warrant a definitive purchase(because I'm a completionist), but as it stands I'm on the fence because I have no idea if it's even going to be buyable on HTS.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The face is chromed too.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

WendigoJohnson posted:

So the only difference from the regular metroplex and the SDCC is vaccumized metal hips, and extra gun, and decoys? I doubt that they'll be on sale for more than 2 minutes on HTS, but they don't seem THAT different to warrant an extra 25-30 bucks in price hiking. You can always get an extra gun and the decoys look like something that can be made with a 3d printer. I just hope the hip chrome isn't Transmetal Rattrap quality.

I'm glad it's not that different compared to the regular release and the takara release because if it was an entirely different character that would warrant a definitive purchase(because I'm a completionist), but as it stands I'm on the fence because I have no idea if it's even going to be buyable on HTS.

The labels on the SDCC version are also mylar (chromed), I think the ones on the regular version are just paper

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm sure it looks better in hand, but I don't like the chromed parts on SDCCtroplex/Takaraplex too much from what I see in pictures. I love the figure but I'm not even sure if I want to get the regular one, I just don't have the space to display one anymore!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The biggest draw for me is the other gun, just for symmetry's sake.

Are there any pics of the decoys?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Where would be a reliable place to price figures for selling? I just acquired a very huge lot of robits.

Also...^^^ You wouldn't happen to be interested in selling that second one, would you?

I probably will sell it, my co-worker has someone that might possibly be interested and if not sell it to a goon or go the eBay route (depending on how hard Comic Con hit me).

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Same about the gun for me, G1 Metroplex had chrome and two guns! Just gotta decide if that's worth the 50% extra cost over the regular one or not.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

EthanSteele posted:

Same about the gun for me, G1 Metroplex had chrome and two guns! Just gotta decide if that's worth the 50% extra cost over the regular one or not.

It makes me wonder if the loose ones of Comic Con metroplex would be easily faked. The labels can be reproduced with the chrome finish(reprolabels has done similar styles of decals), the second gun can be acquired, and you can either use the Takara Metroplex or just apply the chrome paint to the face and thighs.

You ten take a 125 dollar toy and maybe 15 dollars worth of materials and then triple or quadruple the price of it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Aw Jesus 4 days till TFCon. Gettin' hype!
:canada:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

It makes me wonder if the loose ones of Comic Con metroplex would be easily faked. The labels can be reproduced with the chrome finish(reprolabels has done similar styles of decals), the second gun can be acquired, and you can either use the Takara Metroplex or just apply the chrome paint to the face and thighs.

You ten take a 125 dollar toy and maybe 15 dollars worth of materials and then triple or quadruple the price of it.

You'd have to dismantle him to chrome his thighs, so that might not be so simple.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'd never buy an exclusive figure without it's packaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'd never buy an exclusive figure without it's packaging.

Yeah, the packaging is part of the appeal. I can't see faked SDCC Metroplexes being much of a thing, really.