Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

User-Friendly posted:

...the director wasn't allowed to take risks (including sympathizing with the villain). The worst offenders were Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America.

Did you actually watch Thor? Loki, for as big of an rear end in a top hat as he is, is pretty sympathetic. That part of the story is even carried into The Avengers.

I'd also argue that making the movie version of Thor as faithful to the comics as it was, both visually and in concept, was probably one of the bigger risks taken in any superhero movie. It could have been a disaster yet they just rolled with it and played it straight.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=83845

So, uh, this is a little surprising. I could see this going one of two ways:

1. Ultron is Stark's, as a malfunction of his AI driven suits.

2. Ultron is introduced by SHIELD, and it turns out (in a later movie) that it was Pym all along

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

aBagorn posted:

2. Ultron is introduced by SHIELD, and it turns out (in a later movie) that it was Pym all along

How sad. I was really looking forward to seeing Pym in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I always thought the way he was handled in the Ultimates made him so tragic and interesting. Oh well, I think Ultron being a product of Stark could definitely work as an offshoot of Jarvis, as well as the possibility (and probability) of the inclusion of LMDs.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Tuxedo Jack posted:

How sad. I was really looking forward to seeing Pym in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I always thought the way he was handled in the Ultimates made him so tragic and interesting. Oh well, I think Ultron being a product of Stark could definitely work as an offshoot of Jarvis, as well as the possibility (and probability) of the inclusion of LMDs.

Pym will be in the MCU, but not until Phase 3

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Did they not announce an Ant Man movie already? I could have sworn I had heard that. I'm sure Hank will make it in at some point though.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

"Part of the fun for me, definitely this time around, is writing Hawkeye. He did get possessed pretty early by a bad guy and had to walk around all scowly for most of the movie so now it's nice to actually have the character there and see him interact with the other guys."

He didn't have to, that's how you wrote him and it was boring.

Edit: I really hope they don't introduce Life Model Decoys.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 21, 2013

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

aBagorn posted:

I'd be on board for the SHIELD idea and the Pym reveal in Ant-Man.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Surlaw posted:

"Part of the fun for me, definitely this time around, is writing Hawkeye. He did get possessed pretty early by a bad guy and had to walk around all scowly for most of the movie so now it's nice to actually have the character there and see him interact with the other guys."

He didn't have to, that's how you wrote him and it was boring.

Edit: I really hope they don't introduce Life Model Decoys.

To be fair that's how Marvel wanted him to write it. Whedon had very little say on the plot for that film and Marvel had come to him with a fully formed idea (And a completed script). They allowed him to do a rewrite but it was basically all dialogue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Dave posted:

Have any of the panel teasers leaked?

Haven't scrubbed through it, but here's the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe panel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh5hCBlD-tc

[edit] Tom Hiddleston loves this poo poo.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Senor Candle posted:

Did they not announce an Ant Man movie already? I could have sworn I had heard that. I'm sure Hank will make it in at some point though.

I was under the impression they were going with Scott Lang for Ant-Man, and with this news, I would assume they were cutting Pym out entirely... I'd be very happy to be wrong.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I was under the impression they were going with Scott Lang for Ant-Man, and with this news, I would assume they were cutting Pym out entirely... I'd be very happy to be wrong.
The original Ant-Man script was Hank as the 60s Ant-Man and Scott as the modern Ant-Man - if that's still the case it would explain why Hank's not showing up elsewhere.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

aBagorn posted:

It wouldn't be out of line of have Tony create Ultron. I was just looking forward to tying Pym into the story and including him in Avengers 2, so that makes me sad.

At the very least, can we still have Ultron become sentient after coming into contact with Scarlet Witch, falling in love with her, and then flipping out in a jealous rage because she is in love with her brother?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
You know what would be insane and actually kind of cool? Ultron being the Jarvis AI.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Timeless Appeal posted:

You know what would be insane and actually kind of cool? Ultron being the Jarvis AI.

Maybe one of the suits that gained autonomy/sentience. It would tie in to the end of Iron Man 3, without having Iron Man 3 rely on the future movie like Iron Man 2 did.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Devour posted:

Do you mind me asking why?
Because it means there'll be another melodramatic scene where she activates her ability by looking straight up at the camera, eyes pure white, as it zooms in on her face.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

Because it means there'll be another melodramatic scene where she activates her ability by looking straight up at the camera, eyes pure white, as it zooms in on her face.

So why are you mad that Halle Berry is playing Storm?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

This would also handily address the issue of "Why would Tony ever need to put himself in danger instead of remote-controlling multiple suits?" that might otherwise require a slightly less tidy application of comic book science to prevent.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Nova Corps costumes are a little underwhelming but it does get the point of a police sort of force across so it's cool. I'm kinda hoping if there's a Nova Prime of sorts its Richard Rider in the costume he used in Annihilation. And I did love the costumes from here but whatever, it all seems cool enough.

EDIT: You know what, screw it. Have a teen superhero movie with Nova like in the current book. That'd be a lot more fun and open audiences.

vs

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 22, 2013

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

That has nothing to do with Halle Berry's fine rear end playing storm. You're talking about the character storm itself, in which I actually do find your argument somewhat valid. Maybe they'll have her go all Emperor Palpatine or some poo poo with the lightning in the future.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Devour posted:

That has nothing to do with Halle Berry's fine rear end playing storm. You're talking about the character storm itself, in which I actually do find your argument somewhat valid. Maybe they'll have her go all Emperor Palpatine or some poo poo with the lightning in the future.

You're not even talking about the character. That is the director or whatever that wants to do that shot.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Senor Candle posted:

You're not even talking about the character. That is the director or whatever that wants to do that shot.
Storm can discharge lightning from her finger tips?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Devour posted:

Storm can discharge lightning from her finger tips?

I don't know why you would assume I was talking about the second half of your post.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Devour posted:

Do you mind me asking why?

Because she's been terrible in the role.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

teagone posted:

Because she's been terrible in the role.
To be fair, it's a loving terrible role. I think the only thing you can truly blame her for is thinking that increasing her screen time in these films would somehow give Storm depth and give her some handle on the character besides "Speaks with an accent(?)"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Ultron's first appearance in Avengers #54 actually involved a brainwashed Jarvis mess (i.e. Jarvis is a bad guy using a robot! No wait, he's been controlled by the robot known as Ultron), so like the Loki thing in the first Avengers movie being a call back to the first Avengers comic, Jarvis being involved with Ultron would be a good call back again.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, it's a loving terrible role. I think the only thing you can truly blame her for is thinking that increasing her screen time in these films would somehow give Storm depth and give her some handle on the character besides "Speaks with an accent(?)"

Pretty much. With Wolverine always in the picture, there hasn't been any chance for other characters to do anything meaningful except play off Wolverine in various ways. Storm's cinematic journey and character development can be summed up as follows:

X-Men (2000): Lightning!
X2: X-Men United (2003): Befriend Kurt. Tornados (sans sharks)!
X-Men: Last Stand (2006): New promotion at work because her boss and her boss's boss both died. Flying like a top!

I don't get the hate for Halle Berry because she sure as didn't write those scripts and limit her character on purpose. Maybe its all a grudge because she kinda sorta dissed the source material long ago but not really.

The real problem with the X-Men movies has been Wolverine.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Cocks Cable posted:

It's kind of a catch-22 then, because if Wolverine is their biggest problem I'd say Hugh Jackman is still arguably their biggest asset.

I say arguably because of Stewart and McKellen's chemistry.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Cocks Cable posted:

I don't get the hate for Halle Berry because she sure as didn't write those scripts and limit her character on purpose.
She didn't write the scripts, sure, but that's no excuse for her performance. She couldn't have phoned it in worse if she was using a paper-cup telephone. She looked and sounded like she was just waiting for the check to clear.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Cocks Cable posted:

If you removed Hugh Jackman/Wolverine from these movies you would chop their box office in half, and that's being fairly generous to the rest of the cast/characters.

Umpire Weekend
Apr 10, 2006

I backed my car into a cop car the other day
Well he just drove off sometimes life's OK

Supreme Allah posted:

If you removed Hugh Jackman/Wolverine from these movies you would chop their box office in half, and that's being fairly generous to the rest of the cast/characters.
I dunno about that, First Class did pretty good, didn't it?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Umpire Weekend posted:

I dunno about that, First Class did pretty good, didn't it?

Wolverine's ten second appearance in that movie is very arguably the most popular part of it. It also grossed less than all three X-Men movies and Wolverine Origins.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Naw guys listen, Storm has a deep and wonderful personality!

For example, she's from Africa! Ooooh! There's only like one other marvel hero from there!

Her struggle against claustrophobia is the stuff of legends! Children everywhere look up to her in their fight against the worst villain of them all: enclosed spaces.

And don't get me started about how she's part of the x-men. loving x-men! That poo poo is the real deal. She could've ended up in some third rate group like the avengers or the guardians of the galaxy or that one group with just four people in it (seriously those guys are losers), but no she's the best and only the best get into the x-men therefore she deserves to be there.

When hollywood hired Halle "I only act when I want to" Berry to be storm I bet she was all like "Awesome I am getting paid better show my best acting skills oh wait this movie is about man children gently caress it time to phone it in" seriously she is the worst!!!

Hollywood hates comic book people.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I hate comic book people.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Comic book people are eminently hateable and the only reason comic book movies are any good is because Hollywood ignores them. If they didn't then comic book movies would have died 13 years ago when Danzig was running around in yellow pajamas.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Halle Berry phoned it in but so did a lot of people. There are only like 3 standouts in X-Men

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Halle Berry phoned it in but so did a lot of people. There are only like 3 standouts in X-Men

Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman... Anna Paquin? I don't feel like she did a bad job.

Though I think yea, everyone else just went through the motions.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
Apparently Rebecca Romijn isn't going to be in Days of Future Past at all. :( I know she was "cured" in that terrible X3 movie, but as mystique she was by far the best part of the original 3 films in my opinion.

E: That eerie/creepy as gently caress sound that occurred whenever she appeared on screen, oh god. :cry:

Devour fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 22, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fishylungs posted:

Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman... Anna Paquin? I don't feel like she did a bad job.

Though I think yea, everyone else just went through the motions.

I like Magneto, Wolverine, and Mystique. Patrick Stewart was fine but he was just doing Captain Picard

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If there's one thing the X-Men movies all did right, it's Mystique. What a lovely boring comic book character turned into a creepy interesting movie villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Devour posted:

Apparently Rebecca Romijn isn't going to be in Days of Future Past at all. :( I know she was "cured" in that terrible X3 movie, but as mystique she was by far the best part of the original 3 films in my opinion.

E: That eerie/creepy as gently caress sound that occurred whenever she appeared on screen, oh god. :cry:

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/x-men-days-of-future-past-have-a-look-at-bishop-an/1100-146887/
Scroll down to the third image. :)

• Locked thread