Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Project1 posted:

Since maturing and doing a Literature degree, I can't enjoy the usual fantasy any more. Is there any fantasy that would be good enough for a litfag?
Plenty. Depends a little bit on what you mean by literary, so it would help if you were more specific about what you like than just "literature degree", but the genre has something for everyone. Here's what immediately comes to mind:

Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe - funkybottoms beat me to this obvious choice, but to summarize, it's Jack Vance meets Jorge Luis Borges in a strange, dreamlike narrative where a thousand moments that don't initially appear to make sense turn out to have a hidden order. Arguably science fiction, but much of Wolfe's other work is unambiguously fantasy and just as literary, though his use of language in New Sun is unique.

Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake - Surrealist fantasy about an enormous yet depopulated gothic castle, the first of a trilogy that unfortunately was not finished before the author's death but remains very well-regarded 50 years later.

Little, Big by John Crowley - A novel about the slow slide from the rational and mundane of "the City" into the irrational and fantastic world of faerie.

Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link - This is a collection of short stories and so hard to summarize, but they're strange, sometimes surreal, stories that always allow a surface reading only to disrupt and undermine it before the end, forcing the reader to dig further to figure out what they really mean.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - A novel about magic in the 19th century written in a pastiche of the 19th century novel. Obviously that style will be a turn-off for some but it's amazing how well it ends up working.

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin - Not shelved under genre, but since I consider magical realism to be a subgenre of fantasy, this is a magical realist story about a thief in love, a magical horse, and a Victorian New York City that is on the brink of either destruction or transcendence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What, no Catherynne Valente, folks? She's one of the more recent go-tos for literary fantasy.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

What, no Catherynne Valente, folks? She's one of the more recent go-tos for literary fantasy.

Yeah, she really deserves to be recommended more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Project1 posted:

Since maturing and doing a Literature degree, I can't enjoy the usual fantasy any more. Is there any fantasy that would be good enough for a litfag?

In addition to the above mentions, I'd suggest

Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton. It's a reimagining of regency romance novels where all the strange sexual conventions make sense because all the characters are dragons who literally prey on each other.

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. A far-future colony planet is ruled by a cadre using extremely advanced technology to set themselves up as hindu dieties; serve the State well and you get reborn into a better body, etc., quite literally. One of them goes rogue and sets himself up as Buddha to counter their influence. Arguably sci-fi but it's very much in the "sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic, or maybe even theology" school.

St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves by Katherine Russell.

Anything by China Mieville. Sad because the books you're reading contain too few ten-syllable words? Do you long for fantasy peppered with words like "liminal" and fantasy Marxism? You've found your man! Seriously he's a good writer but his books are what happens when fantasy writers read waaay too much lit-crit.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Project1 posted:

- Vampires in the Lemon Grove
- At the Mouth of the River of Bees
- The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Project1 posted:

YMMV, but Lies of Locke Lamora is perfectly passable and could be great fun if you manage to control your impulse to critique the prose, which is merely good. The construction is great, so you can appreciate it on that level. (I only make this remark since I've recently finished it, and it wouldn't be unreasonable if you had already considered this and decided it wouldn't measure up.)

The Wolfe recommendation is certainly on point, though. Definitely put that on your list.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Any really good police procedurals (is there a proper plural for procedural or is firefox autocorrect mistaken, by the way?) along the lines of David Simon's Homicide: a Year on the Killing Streets? I can't think of a book that has captivated me so much.

I'm also a pretty huge Michael Connelly fan, both for the procedural stuff and his writing style. Any recommendations would be awesome, since he's the only mystery writer I familiar with.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Lex Talionis posted:

Plenty. Depends a little bit on what you mean by literary, so it would help if you were more specific about what you like than just "literature degree", but the genre has something for everyone.

It was only an undergraduate degree, so I'm not an expert critic, but it's definitely given me more of an appreciation for good writing. Outside of fantasy/SF, I like Victorian/Regency, surrealist, and the older fairy tales where the Fair Folk are to be avoided because of how they treat humans. So there's quite a few suggestions above that combine those with fantasy, which is good.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

You will absolutely love the crap out of Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell, then. Regency alternate history/fantasy in which the creepy, malevolent denizens of Faerie play a pivotal role in the plot. Critically acclaimed and longlisted for the Booker Prize to boot.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Project1 posted:

It was only an undergraduate degree, so I'm not an expert critic, but it's definitely given me more of an appreciation for good writing. Outside of fantasy/SF, I like Victorian/Regency, surrealist, and the older fairy tales where the Fair Folk are to be avoided because of how they treat humans. So there's quite a few suggestions above that combine those with fantasy, which is good.
I think, in addition to the other suggestions, you might find the Iron Dragon's Daughter and Dragons of Babel by Michael Swanwick interesting.

Wiki posted:

The Iron Dragon's Daughter is a 1993 novel by writer Michael Swanwick that combines fantasy and science fiction. The dark and nihilistic tale follows Jane, a changeling girl who slaves at a dragon factory, building part-magical, part-cybernetic monsters that are used as jet fighters; until she crosses paths with an old, rusted dragon named Melanchthon and escapes.

His prose and ideas are top notch, while the subversion of fantasy/folkloric tropes makes these two books very unusual.

U4RiiA
Dec 26, 2011
Does anyone have recommendations for ethnographic/undercover/investigative books? I'm looking for stuff similar to:

Ehrenreich's "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America"
Robbins's "Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities"
Venkatesh's "American Project: The Rise and Fall of a Modern Ghetto".

Basically, I want to go undercover and learn more about lifestyles and people with which I'm not intimately familiar.

Thank you, as always, for your amazingly accurate recommendations!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's always Ten Days in a Mad-House by Nellie Bly. It's ~100 years old now but an archetype of undercover journalism exposes.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

U4RiiA posted:

Basically, I want to go undercover and learn more about lifestyles and people with which I'm not intimately familiar.

If you liked "American Project" you should probably try Sudhir Venkatesh's Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets. Also Cop in the Hood: My Year Policing Baltimore's Eastern District by Peter Moskos, Wallraff: The Undesirable Journalist by Gunter Wallraff.

Panda So Panda
Feb 21, 2010

Can anyone recommend me some good contemporary Southern Gothic? Emphasis on contemporary so not the likes of William Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy. Say what you will about Anne Rice, but I haven't found anyone that conjures up the vivid imagery of decaying architecture and dark atmosphere with its deeply flawed, disturbing characters quite like she does.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've been reading non-fiction for a while and want to give fiction another try. Does anyone have any recommendations for LGBT-relevant science fiction or fantasy that doesn't absolutely suck garbage? Someone had a thread about it a while back and I read most of the recommendations, but I only liked two of them. Most were pretty mediocre. One was one of my most hated books of all time. But hate would maybe also be okay, anything to feel again.

Iron Council was great though, more like that. If it's out there.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Panda So Panda posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good contemporary Southern Gothic? Emphasis on contemporary so not the likes of William Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy. Say what you will about Anne Rice, but I haven't found anyone that conjures up the vivid imagery of decaying architecture and dark atmosphere with its deeply flawed, disturbing characters quite like she does.

You might like Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. Published in 1994, it's supposedly non-fiction, which always blows my mind. You could also try Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
McCarthy isn't contemporary? Anyway, Woodrell is a good recommendation and you could also look into William Gay, Ron Rash, Donald Ray Pollock and maybe Robert Goolrick. Might also want to check out Kent Wascom's recent debut, The Blood of Heaven.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

HelmetCheese posted:

Any really good police procedurals (is there a proper plural for procedural or is firefox autocorrect mistaken, by the way?) along the lines of David Simon's Homicide: a Year on the Killing Streets? I can't think of a book that has captivated me so much.

I'm also a pretty huge Michael Connelly fan, both for the procedural stuff and his writing style. Any recommendations would be awesome, since he's the only mystery writer I familiar with.

Ed McBain is the gold standard for police procedural detective thrillers. For more non-fiction try Blue Blood by Edward Conlon about his experiences in the NYPD.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Pick posted:

I've been reading non-fiction for a while and want to give fiction another try. Does anyone have any recommendations for LGBT-relevant science fiction or fantasy that doesn't absolutely suck garbage? Someone had a thread about it a while back and I read most of the recommendations, but I only liked two of them. Most were pretty mediocre. One was one of my most hated books of all time. But hate would maybe also be okay, anything to feel again.

Was Ellen Kushner's Riverside series on that list? The first book is Swordspoint, which has a slow start but is more than worth it. The sequels have better pacing.

I'll assume the Nightrunner series was on there. Beyond that I don't really know and I'm interested in this too. Wouldn't mind a link to that thread if it's still up. What's the one you hated, out of curiosity?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Pick posted:

I can only think of mediocre books about LGBT-themes, but if you're also interested in feminism, you should give The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood a try. Mostly because it's really good and won ton of awards. It's a disturbinghly plausible dystopian novel about a nation which is completely based on the bible.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Pick posted:

Pantomime by Laura Lam was a very interesting young adult (in the sense of Pullman rather than Meyer, I'd say) SF/F novel that came out this year. It isn't all about LGBT themes, but it's unusual in actually having LGBT characters in prominent roles. It's set in a far future scenario that reminds me a little of New Sun seen through a lens of Victoriana, too.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

Vellum by Hal Duncan has been compared to Miéville for its verboseness, and has gay main characters. Not sure how good it is myself though.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Pick posted:

The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan may be a fantasy novel relevant to your LGBT interests. Also has a sequel out if you're into longer series.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Pick posted:

Have you checked out Melissa Scott's work?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Echo Cian posted:

Was Ellen Kushner's Riverside series on that list? The first book is Swordspoint, which has a slow start but is more than worth it. The sequels have better pacing.
Yeah, those were pretty good. I liked that she opted for an illiterate character, since it fit her world but was still rather daring considering the inherent nature of her, well... readership. Still a wee stodgy for me, if I'm remembering correctly, but in no way a bad book.

quote:

I'll assume the Nightrunner series was on there. Beyond that I don't really know and I'm interested in this too. Wouldn't mind a link to that thread if it's still up. What's the one you hated, out of curiosity?

Haha, the Nightrunner series.

They're pretty bad but for some reason I read them all :v:.

The book I absolutely reviled was The Steel Remains.

Walh Hara posted:

I can only think of mediocre books about LGBT-themes, but if you're also interested in feminism, you should give The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood a try. Mostly because it's really good and won ton of awards. It's a disturbinghly plausible dystopian novel about a nation which is completely based on the bible.
Oh, yeah, that's a very good book. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it before.

Chas McGill posted:

Pantomime by Laura Lam was a very interesting young adult (in the sense of Pullman rather than Meyer, I'd say) SF/F novel that came out this year. It isn't all about LGBT themes, but it's unusual in actually having LGBT characters in prominent roles. It's set in a far future scenario that reminds me a little of New Sun seen through a lens of Victoriana, too.
Ah, thanks! I'll give that a look. And definitely Hedrigall's recommendation for Vellum, too. The latter in particular seems right up my alley, although I've always appreciated the fast reading of a good YA novel.

Also, I'm not familiar with Melissa Scott's work--are there any specific recommendations among her range of titles? Thanks!

i am paul newman
Mar 31, 2010

Pick posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for LGBT-relevant science fiction or fantasy that doesn't absolutely suck garbage?

Kim Westwood's The Courier's New Bicycle. Alexes Razevich's Khe. Malinda Lo. Madeline Miller's The Song of Achilles. Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself. Jacqueline Carey's Santa Olivia. James Tiptree. Nicola Griffith. Julia Karr's XVI. Kathleen Winter's Annabel.
Not SFF, but great recent LGBT reads: Julie Anne Peters' Luna. William J. Mann's Object of Desire.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Pick posted:

Also, I'm not familiar with Melissa Scott's work--are there any specific recommendations among her range of titles? Thanks!

I think just about anything she writes is LGBT friendly. You might try Point of Hopes and the other books in the series. Five Twelfths of Heaven, Silence in Solitude and The Empress of Earth are more mainstream but are still good. The Kindly Ones is good and has a main LGBT character. The thing with Melissa Scott is that even though she has a reputation as an LGBT author, it would be more accurate to say that she writes characters who possess a wide range of sexual preferences.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I'd like recommendations for books like Into The Wild or The Road. I don't mean post-apocalyptic or wilderness adventures particularly, but books with few humans and a sense of loneliness, adventure, and survival. Basically, I'm too busy to do much hiking this summer and am tired of the loving city and being surrounded by tons of people all the time. So, while I'm crammed into a heaving, sweaty bus like the ninth member on a chain of anal beads, I'd really like to read about places where everyone but the protagonist is all but loving dead.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Noni posted:

I'd like recommendations for books like Into The Wild or The Road. I don't mean post-apocalyptic or wilderness adventures particularly, but books with few humans and a sense of loneliness, adventure, and survival. Basically, I'm too busy to do much hiking this summer and am tired of the loving city and being surrounded by tons of people all the time. So, while I'm crammed into a heaving, sweaty bus like the ninth member on a chain of anal beads, I'd really like to read about places where everyone but the protagonist is all but loving dead.

I've heard a lot of good things about The Tiger by John Vailant. Wikipedia excerpt: The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival is about a man-eating tiger incident that happened in the 1990s in Russia's Far Eastern Primorsky Krai, where most of the world's Amur tigers live. It is a mixture of investigative journalism, social history, geography and natural writing. It apparantly won a bunch of rewards and has been in this thread quite often before, but haven't got aroun to read it myself.Since it's set in siberia and is about the hunter tracking the tiger it should meet all your criteria easily.

My first idea was to recommend Life of Pi, but altough it's mainly about a boy that's trapped on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger for 227 days (no idea why both recommendations are about tigers) a big part of the story is about the protagonist growing up in India and exploring spirituality, so that may not be what you are looking for.

edit: or just read more books from Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian in particular.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 25, 2013

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 22, 2016

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Can someone recommend me a book about how the future of America/the world is hosed? This looked interesting, but the negative reviews have me skeptical.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Redkist posted:

Can someone recommend me a book about how the future of America/the world is hosed? This looked interesting, but the negative reviews have me skeptical.

After the Empire by Emmanuel Todd.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Walh Hara posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about The Tiger by John Vailant. Wikipedia excerpt: The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival is about a man-eating tiger incident that happened in the 1990s in Russia's Far Eastern Primorsky Krai, where most of the world's Amur tigers live. It is a mixture of investigative journalism, social history, geography and natural writing. It apparantly won a bunch of rewards and has been in this thread quite often before, but haven't got aroun to read it myself.Since it's set in siberia and is about the hunter tracking the tiger it should meet all your criteria easily.

My first idea was to recommend Life of Pi, but altough it's mainly about a boy that's trapped on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger for 227 days (no idea why both recommendations are about tigers) a big part of the story is about the protagonist growing up in India and exploring spirituality, so that may not be what you are looking for.

edit: or just read more books from Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian in particular.

Ooh those are some great suggestions that I not considered. I tried Blood Meridian, but McCarthy's lack of quotation marks had made everything but The Road an annoyance that I didn't want to bother with. I'll try again, though. Thanks!

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

To the White Sea or Deliverance by James Dickey hit all those points.

Thanks! To the White Sea looks quite interesting.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

DirtyRobot posted:

- The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break

Seconding this recommendation wholeheartedly. Such an under-appreciated book.

Torpoodo
Feb 6, 2009

I'm looking for books with an Alice in Wonderland/Hitchhiker's Guide/Narnia/Harry Potter type storyline where a regular person is pulled into some crazy magical world. Really detailed and vivid descriptions of surroundings, nature, weird architecture, etc. would be a bonus. I did like Diana Wynne Jones' The House of Many Ways, but I'd prefer something non-young-adult.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Torpoodo posted:

I'm looking for books with an Alice in Wonderland/Hitchhiker's Guide/Narnia/Harry Potter type storyline where a regular person is pulled into some crazy magical world. Really detailed and vivid descriptions of surroundings, nature, weird architecture, etc. would be a bonus. I did like Diana Wynne Jones' The House of Many Ways, but I'd prefer something non-young-adult.

Tad Williams Otherland series, Gordon Dickson's Dragon Knight series, Grossman's The Magicians, Mieville's Kraken, Gaiman's Coraline and American Gods, Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, King's Dark Tower series

Noni posted:

Ooh those are some great suggestions that I not considered. I tried Blood Meridian, but McCarthy's lack of quotation marks had made everything but The Road an annoyance that I didn't want to bother with. I'll try again, though. Thanks!

Although it doesn't quite match up with what you were looking for, The Tiger is one of my favorite non-fiction books and you should totally read it. Vailant references a number of books that sound more to the point- if you look at the "customers also bought" on the book's amazon page, you'll be spoiled for choices. You could also check out Stewart's Earth Abides, a favorite of mine, Jordan Fisher Smith's Nature Noir, or Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I've been kind of on a Star Wars kick so I'm wondering if there are any good EU novels? I read the Jedi Academy trilogy and I think a series called The Corellian Trilogy when I was a kid. I've also read I, Jedi. Is there anything else I should read? I've heard most of the EU stuff is crap but I don't even know where to start.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I remember liking the Bounty Hunter series when I was younger. There's one that's basically a series of short stories about the bounty hunters who've been assigned to go after Han, so you get to read more about Bossk etc.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daric posted:

I've been kind of on a Star Wars kick so I'm wondering if there are any good EU novels? I read the Jedi Academy trilogy and I think a series called The Corellian Trilogy when I was a kid. I've also read I, Jedi. Is there anything else I should read? I've heard most of the EU stuff is crap but I don't even know where to start.

Check out Timothy Zahn's trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Daric posted:

Aaron Allston does some good stuff. I especially liked Mercy Kill, it's the only time someone has done an engaging spy story in Star Wars.