Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Miura admitted in an interview that he came up with the surfboard-sized sword as a gimmick to attract viewers. Any explanation of its properties probably came after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Of course it's a gimmick, it's completely impractical from any standpoint, not to mention the fact that even if you build a machine that could handle it like Guts does, the handle would snap off basically immediately.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Nuh-uh, it's totally magic.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wikipedia called it a Zanbato, which is of course a fictional sword.
Zodd's sword on the other hand is a Heavy Ram-Dao, designed to behead sacrificial animals with one blow.
I guess that's why Zodd refers to it as a 'horse sword'.

He's gone through a few different ones during the series.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Berserk is, if nothing else, a really cool resource of bizarre medieval weapons. Like all those crazy swords and spears used by the Indian type empire a few volumes back.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I so want to see more of those dudes. It also spurred one of Guts' coolest/dumbest moves: getting struck by lightning on purpose

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was surprised to find out that all the weapons Silat used were in fact real. Those Urumi look real nasty to fight with.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Soulcleaver posted:

Dave Sim did his own comic for almost 30 years without having a mental breakdown. Then again, Sim is a paranoid schizophrenic and the writing (but not art) in Cerebus went to poo poo about 2/3 of the way through. I have more faith in Miura though; he's actually a sane and reasonable person despite his totally insane art.

I'd say Sim ran out ideas after church and state then just complete snapped early into the 200s of Cerebus.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

side_burned posted:

I'd say Sim ran out ideas after church and state then just complete snapped early into the 200s of Cerebus.
Jaka's Story was astonishingly good and nearly makes up for any stupid/insane things Sim has done or will ever do. :colbert:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

DamnGlitch posted:

It probably has to do with working on the same piece of fiction for 20 years. That's some serious poo poo. It wouldn't be so bad if there was more of a clear direction than the really not terribly compelling 'lets get to elf island!" (never get to elf island) thing.

I think this rarely turns out well; no matter how obsessive, you'd just get bored of thinking about your awesome story after about 15 years, wouldn't you?

The Lord of the Rings doesn't count, because Tolkien spent like 20 years creating his own imaginary world as a way to stay sane after world war 1, and then wrote stories in that world.

Also, Cerebus! Haven't heard that mentioned in like a decade (in high school a cousin of mine was into comics and had some 300 page Cerebus arc in his collection.) How good is good/ how crazy is Sim?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nebakenezzer posted:

How good is good/ how crazy is Sim?

You'll be wanting to read this: http://www.theabsolute.net/misogyny/sim.html

quote:

"Emotion, whatever the Female Void would have you believe, is not a more Exalted State than is Thought. In point of fact, I think Emotion is animalistic, serpent-brain stuff. Animals do not Think, but I am reasonably certain that they have Emotions. 'Eating this makes me Happy.' 'When my fur is all wet and I am cold, it makes me Sad." "Ooo! Puppies!' 'It makes me Excited to Chase the Ball!' Reason, as any husband can tell you, doesn't stand a chance in an argument with Emotion... this was the fundamental reason, I believe, that women were denied the vote for so long."

"Behind this...lies the Greater Void, the Omnivorous Engine which drives every... institutionalised waste of human time and energy, which drives, in point of fact, our entire degraded society. The wife and kids."

"In one of those Poor Us studies for which the Emotional Female Void is notorious, it was pointed out that after a divorce, the average male standard of living rises... the average female standard of living drops... I think the...explanation is that the excision of a five-to-six- foot leech from the surface of a human body is going to have more of its own blood in its own veins. Unless the leech finds another body, it is going to go hungry."

"In labouring to fill the insatiable Void Need for material possessions at home, his time and his energy and his spirit disappear into the Vaginal Bottom Line of the workplace."

"The Male Light and the Female Void: Seminal Energy and Omnivorous Parasite."

"If you look at her and see anything besides emptiness, fear and emotional hunger, you are looking at the parts of yourself which have been consumed to that point."

"It wouldn't be that big a stretch to categorize my writing as Hate Literature against women . . . in this Fascistic Feminist country"

The man is out of his loving gourd.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Autonomous Monster posted:

You'll be wanting to read this: http://www.theabsolute.net/misogyny/sim.html

The man is out of his loving gourd.

He kinda busted his brain on LSD a little bit and his drama with wives /girlfriends morphed into a very bizarre personal philosophy.

If anything i'd say his weird misogyny and cosmology of thought add some strange sad pathos to his epic, it comes off as vividly delirious and crazy.

Rubbergoose
Jul 13, 2006

PLEASE, someone make a separate thread for just the actual manga. I'm tired of visiting this sub-forum for info on future Berserk releases, only to find 2+ pages of lovely opinions on the size and shape of the sword in the latest movie.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Just get an email notification. It will let you know when a new chapter is ready. And then you check back here for the cool discussion!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Back on the lovely discussion on the size and shape of the sword, a professional blacksmith made a copy of the six-foot Buster Sword from Final Fantasy VII out of aluminum and steel.
It is of course so unwieldy that it's difficult to hold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xogheZdAO18
An all-iron Dragonslayer would be impossible to move.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I saw a similar video like that. But I still couldn't remember if anyone messed with the Dragonslayer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MejveUjpw8U

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Dragonslayer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR1gCSO9NB0

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting. The Ram Dao swords used by Zodd are in real life 20-30" long, not very big for a 10' tall guy. I guess they exaggerated the size in the manga so they wouldn't look tiny compared to the 70" Dragonslayer.
They are impressive looking weapons, though.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also, Cerebus! Haven't heard that mentioned in like a decade (in high school a cousin of mine was into comics and had some 300 page Cerebus arc in his collection.) How good is good/ how crazy is Sim?

Anymore Cerebus chat should go into the indie comics thread in BSS.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I just had a semi decent plausible thought about how Miura could end this. Not sure if we're supposed to spoiler completely random speculation, someone pm me angrily if I don't need to.
So after 5 years they finally make it to elf island. The Godhand are supernatural demonic entities with so far seemingly no balance check, there is only super evil. The elf king is the supernatural good, and the Godhand threw a big log of poo poo into the balance of the world. Elf King gets empowered by all the poo poo they threw out, and super juices Guts ala apostles, just in the opposite way with nature magic. It balances out and suddenly Guts has a plausible chance of fighting Griffith, atleast to kill his rear end out of the regular world. Albeit its still a hosed suicide mission.

Seems somewhat plausible to me, if a little cliche.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A real mercenary from the middle ages, with an iron hand, named Götz?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Supposedly Muira had no idea about this historical figure, and it's just an incredible coincidence. It's hard to believe, but that's what he has claimed in interviews.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I just had a semi decent plausible thought about how Miura could end this. Not sure if we're supposed to spoiler completely random speculation, someone pm me angrily if I don't need to.
So after 5 years they finally make it to elf island. The Godhand are supernatural demonic entities with so far seemingly no balance check, there is only super evil. The elf king is the supernatural good, and the Godhand threw a big log of poo poo into the balance of the world. Elf King gets empowered by all the poo poo they threw out, and super juices Guts ala apostles, just in the opposite way with nature magic. It balances out and suddenly Guts has a plausible chance of fighting Griffith, atleast to kill his rear end out of the regular world. Albeit its still a hosed suicide mission.

Seems somewhat plausible to me, if a little cliche.
If something this useful does happen there will probably be a horrible side effect like Guts going permanently insane and giving into the Beast with a lot of innocent people dying during his kill-Griffith-and-his-minions rampage. Or something cooler that Mirua has had in the back of his head for 15 years or more while he thinks of how to end the series.

Macheath
Jun 14, 2000

I am hope.
How long has the break been at this point? I wonder if he's going for a full year. :allears:

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Hmm, the last one came out right after christmas, so it's been about seven months now.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm amazed he kept going after so many years. I thought he would just drop it eventually like the Priest manga author did.

Actually, speaking of Priest whatever happened to the author? Did he really just stop or was there something else going on?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

I'm amazed he kept going after so many years. I thought he would just drop it eventually like the Priest manga author did.

Actually, speaking of Priest whatever happened to the author? Did he really just stop or was there something else going on?

Hahaha, I'd love to read peoples reactions if he just quit. Sad as it would be to see Berserk go away, it would be just as entertaining reading all the forums seething with impotent rage.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I don't think he'd get away with quitting, but if there's no chapter by the end of next month I'm just going to assume he went out like Clyde Templeton from American Dad and his body has yet to be found.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jimmybob posted:

Hahaha, I'd love to read peoples reactions if he just quit. Sad as it would be to see Berserk go away, it would be just as entertaining reading all the forums seething with impotent rage.

It would be kind of a lovely thing for him to do if he just quit and never said anything about it. I'd be alright with it if he revealed where he wanted to take the story.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Oh don't mistake my words, I have no assumptions that he's quitting. I was merely fantasizing about nerd rage, that's all. I wanna see Guts chop Griffith up someday, myself.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Maybe he'll eventually pull a Dark Tower and just poo poo out a terrible ending to be done with things.

Also, is there any way of actually getting to read a professional translation of the manga without paying ridiculous amounts of money? I was hoping Dark Horse would have the manga available for purchase in electronic form, but no dice. And the fan translations are really, really bad sometimes.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
The worst part is it would take 1-2 years to figure out he did in fact quit.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
http://blog.livedoor.jp/shonenmanga/archives/30868454.html

Miura has been told by his doctor to go into long-term rest and recovery. Berserk on indefinite Hiatus.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

Popehoist posted:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/shonenmanga/archives/30868454.html

Miura has been told by his doctor to go into long-term rest and recovery. Berserk on indefinite Hiatus.

I knew Guts would never get to Elf Island.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I hope he'll be okay. I wouldn't be surprised if he worked himself ragged. Berserk always was one of the most impressively drawn comics I've ever seen.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

notZaar posted:

I hope he'll be okay. I wouldn't be surprised if he worked himself ragged. Berserk always was one of the most impressively drawn comics I've ever seen.

According to commenters on that post, it's apparently fake, so :confused:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Whether it's real or not, he deserves a break. We may rag on him for taking 6 months to put out a chapter, but he's still the hardest-working man in the industry and everything he puts out is utterly gorgeous.

I better see the dragon slayer cutting Griffith into bloody chunks by 2020, though, or I might go on a berserker rage myself.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Soulcleaver posted:

Whether it's real or not, he deserves a break. We may rag on him for taking 6 months to put out a chapter, but he's still the hardest-working man in the industry and everything he puts out is utterly gorgeous.

Why would you say that? Because his art is good and very detailed? He only puts out a half dozen chapters a year if we're lucky, there are dozens of people that pump out 20 pages a week with fantastic art.

If hes legitimately ill/hurt then he should take the time off and heal, but saying hes the hardest working person in the industry is laughable.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Despite the insane detail of his art, it's hard to call Miura the hardest working guy when you have people like Murata Yuusuke running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Given Miura's glacial pace and detail creep, would anyone really object to Berserk becoming a light novel series at this point? I'm sure he has the story laid out in his head, writing it out with a ghostwriter would give us the entire story in a fraction of the time. And Miura could still do 5 or 10 illustrations per book of key points.

At this point, where drawing the story has threatened his very health, I'd rather get Berserk in prose than no Berserk at all.