Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I have a small tattoo on my back of a 45 rpm adapter. I've had older people come up to me and ask me if I even know what the thing I have permanently inked onto my skin is. It's kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

I have a small tattoo on my back of a 45 rpm adapter. I've had older people come up to me and ask me if I even know what the thing I have permanently inked onto my skin is. It's kind of annoying.

Did you then launch into a 20-minute monologue about different forms of musical representation and then, as their jaws literally drop to the ground, say "or maybe you could just change the record :smug:" ? The whole store then erupts in applause while the gorgeous owner gives you their private stash of white label pressings. Because if this doesn't happen every time, you're doing something wrong.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

hyperhazard posted:

This Craigslist one takes the cake. It's relatively long, but I've bolded the best parts.

:barf:

This poo poo didn't happen so hard that it hurts. When I was married, my then-husband and I didn't want children and so we checked into vasectomy/tubal. I ended up getting the tubal ligation, but when we discussed the vasectomy with a urologist he told us that 1) we should keep using birth control for a year afterward, just to be safe (we were told the same about the tubal) and 2) even though a vasectomy is very reliable birth control, it's not 100% effective, though the odds of it working go up close to that by a couple of years after the operation. It's not like you just flip a switch and hey presto, you're instantly "shooting blanks."

The "7lb annuity" line is really cute, too. :rolleyes:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

In The Bushes posted:

Did you then launch into a 20-minute monologue about different forms of musical representation and then, as their jaws literally drop to the ground, say "or maybe you could just change the record :smug:" ? The whole store then erupts in applause while the gorgeous owner gives you their private stash of white label pressings. Because if this doesn't happen every time, you're doing something wrong.

Things always get dicey until I pull out the solid gold (but playable) 7-inch of Bohemian Rhapsody that I wear inside my shirt, next to my heart.

Seriously, no one even glances at the tattoo at record shops or other music things. It's always people buying bunion cream and magnums of white zinfandel at Rite-Aid.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reddit posted:

My friend was dating this sketchy woman who freely admitted (while drunk, already a great mom) she poked holes in his condoms to "get pregnant so he'll have to give me money." She went on and on about how she was gonna trap him and how if that didn't work she'd accuse him of abuse.

I told her I hoped her baby was born dead.

She miscarried and they broke up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"I told a lady I hoped she would have a miscarriage and she did. Do you love me now, le Reddit army? :smug:"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Plan Z posted:

Also, I've had several relationships after living in a college town, and have not had one girl cheat on me, yet every member on reddit and imgur have had several cheating girlfriends that they're currently getting back at through the art of some smarmy, convoluted scheme.

When I was growing up, I always read Archie comics and crummy Young Adult Literature and watched lovely preteen-aimed shows that really made it seem like cheating/being cheated on was a normal thing that just happens in relationships. Like it's just a natural part of being in a relationship with someone, getting asked out, having your first date, first kiss, getting cheated on. I think one of the key steps to my maturing into adulthood was when I realized that of all the people I knew who were in relationships, no one was cheating, or had cheated, on anybody. In fact, I thought about how much of a serious big deal it would have been if someone WAS cheating. TV shows play it off like it ain't no thing, like the only person who is affected is the cheatee, and like it's something you can easily apologize and make up for.

Point is, I'm pretty sure macho internet posturing weirdos learned everything they know about human socialization through ragsheet literature, crummy teen movies, and the osmosis of other macho internet posturing weirdo's lovely made up stories.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

This is going around Tumblr today, I guess.

Yeah, I definitely believe that not only was he able to see you despite the bright stage lights but he found your ogling to be so attractive that he immediately had sex with you right after the show.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Christopher Robin posted:

Yeah, I definitely believe that not only was he able to see you despite the bright stage lights but he found your ogling to be so attractive that he immediately had sex with you right after the show.

He's also apparently an actor famous enough to have a wikipedia page but who will break character as soon as a girl :heysexy:s at him. And then repeatedly glancing at her. That sounds like a top notch actor.

E: VVV While this is hilarious because it'd mean she really considers having lost her virginity to Hamlet, I think it's the actor she's talking about.

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jul 21, 2013

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Fathis Munk posted:

He's also apparently an actor famous enough to have a wikipedia page but who will break character as soon as a girl :heysexy:s at him. And then repeatedly glancing at her. That sounds like a top notch actor.

I think she meant that Hamlet has a Wikipedia page.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

It came from reddit.

I really wish I was alive during the 40s. Things would be so different for me. I mean, I'd still be a socially maladjusted weirdo no one likes, but at least people would stop making fun of my fedora.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

change my name posted:

I think she meant that Hamlet has a Wikipedia page.

Maybe they just hosed on the astral plane. It's very in nowadays.

Skeleton Ape posted:

I really wish I was alive during the 40s. Things would be so different for me. I mean, I'd still be a socially maladjusted weirdo no one likes, but at least people would stop making fun of my fedora.
This mindset cracks me up. The nerds and dorks of yesteryear would WISH they had it as easy as nerds and dorks have it today. I mean, just for one example, tons of kids wear glasses nowadays, so you're less likely to get made fun of solely for that reason, and they're shatterproof, so you can play sports with all of the visually blessed children. To say nothing of how relatively geek-friendly culture is in general now.

On the other hand, I wish he was alive during the 40s, too. Then maybe he'd have had to grow up at some point and been an insufferable jerk instead of an insufferable geek.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I'm not sure young people actually wore hats at that time ?

I've always loved people who say poo poo like "I wish I'd lived at that time" because they never take into consideration all that they would have to give up for it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Christopher Robin posted:

Given, I've only read the play once, but... why was this Hamlet shirtless so drat often? Didn't the character spend pretty well the entire play walking around with his buddy and bitching about his mom and uncle? What did he do that required his shirt to come off?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Das Boo posted:

Given, I've only read the play once, but... why was this Hamlet shirtless so drat often? Didn't the character spend pretty well the entire play walking around with his buddy and bitching about his mom and uncle? What did he do that required his shirt to come off?

Everyone interprets the play differently. In my version, Hamlet's internal struggle is highlighted by his sweet pecs.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
How can you forget the steamy Act 5?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

He doesn't want to be a dumb jock young person, silly. He wants to be a respectable gentleman grownup.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Fathis Munk posted:

Some did.

STHD: "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" was written & recorded in 1960.

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sweeperbravo posted:

When I was growing up, I always read Archie comics and crummy Young Adult Literature and watched lovely preteen-aimed shows that really made it seem like cheating/being cheated on was a normal thing that just happens in relationships. Like it's just a natural part of being in a relationship with someone, getting asked out, having your first date, first kiss, getting cheated on. I think one of the key steps to my maturing into adulthood was when I realized that of all the people I knew who were in relationships, no one was cheating, or had cheated, on anybody. In fact, I thought about how much of a serious big deal it would have been if someone WAS cheating. TV shows play it off like it ain't no thing, like the only person who is affected is the cheatee, and like it's something you can easily apologize and make up for.

Point is, I'm pretty sure macho internet posturing weirdos learned everything they know about human socialization through ragsheet literature, crummy teen movies, and the osmosis of other macho internet posturing weirdo's lovely made up stories.
While your point is probably pretty on, I had a lovely run of luck with my first couple of relationships and I thought cheating was the norm. It didn't help that my friends in relationships had cheated/were thinking about it/were cheated on.

Then again, my personal leanings are that humans are ill-suited to monogamy, so take that as you will. I think you may just be lucky, heh.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
"I worked at McDonald's once. I hated my bitch of a boss bad enough that I worked hard. I worked until I was her go to guy. I can literally make a BigMac in under 10 seconds.
Then, on the weekend of the fourth of July, I waited until there were lines for both the drive thru, and the counter, and I stopped and just stood there.
I stood there for a minute while nothing happened.
I stood there for two minutes while nothing happened.
Then in comes "Bossy McBossy Bitch" yelling, "Hybrid, why aren't you making orders!"
"Because you are a oval office and you deserve to fail. You and your position of authority mean gently caress all to me. I am not working, nor am I moving."
So, she immediately goes and calls the cops while yelling orders to others who have no clue. They try to start making sandwiches around me, but I'm making it pretty hard.
Eventually, with customers literally ready to riot the police show up, accompany me out, hear the very short version of my story and release me without charge.
gently caress you McDonald's managers. You have some vague minimal amount of power over the very least powerful people in society.
To all of you who had to wait "Up to a half hour for my loving order"...
gently caress you, you are all fat loving idiots.
TL;DR ~ Don't work at McDonald's and if you do, burn that bridge so loving hard you could never possibly go back."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bug Bill Murray posted:

"I worked at McDonald's once. I hated my bitch of a boss bad enough that I worked hard. I worked until I was her go to guy. I can literally make a BigMac in under 10 seconds.
Then, on the weekend of the fourth of July, I waited until there were lines for both the drive thru, and the counter, and I stopped and just stood there.
I stood there for a minute while nothing happened.
I stood there for two minutes while nothing happened.
Then in comes "Bossy McBossy Bitch" yelling, "Hybrid, why aren't you making orders!"
"Because you are a oval office and you deserve to fail. You and your position of authority mean gently caress all to me. I am not working, nor am I moving."
So, she immediately goes and calls the cops while yelling orders to others who have no clue. They try to start making sandwiches around me, but I'm making it pretty hard.
Eventually, with customers literally ready to riot the police show up, accompany me out, hear the very short version of my story and release me without charge.
gently caress you McDonald's managers. You have some vague minimal amount of power over the very least powerful people in society.
To all of you who had to wait "Up to a half hour for my loving order"...
gently caress you, you are all fat loving idiots.
TL;DR ~ Don't work at McDonald's and if you do, burn that bridge so loving hard you could never possibly go back."

What. The. gently caress.

I know I say this often, but seriously, in this case - Why would do this, but more importantly, why would you make up that story? You do not stand to gain anything, it doesn't make you look good...

Oh wait, crazy internet person. Nevermind.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"I'm mad that I work a low-paying entry-level fast food job! I'll prove I'm better than all that by being a big loving baby about it! HARUMPH! PANDERING TO THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR BY CALLING PEOPLE WHO EAT FAST FOOD FAT IS TOTALLY OK! DO YOU LOVE ME NOW INTERNET"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"I didn't do my job. When my boss asked me to do my job, I refused and started swearing. For some reason, I got fired!"

My favorite stdh are the stories that even if they were true would clearly make the author the bad guy.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That story only works if you're working for NASA or something.

''Yeah just as we were ready to launch into space, I refused to do my part and the spaceship exploded haha pwnd''

Because I'm pretty sure the rest of the workers at McDonalds are perfectly capable of making burgers without your leadership and l337 burger-making skills (under 10 seconds!).

Dabbo
Aug 20, 2010

It's not just the completely made up story but the weird stuffy way the person writes, too. They REALLY want to sound as smart as possible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love the line about teaching things EVERYONE watching Sherlock already knows.

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012
It's just a shame that the stranger is actually Jim Moriarty.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

In The Bushes posted:

It's just a shame that the stranger is actually Jim Moriarty.

Knowing the way these stories usually end (:pervert:, rather than marriage in this case), I'm fairly sure at least some of the fandom would be all over that.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It would be fun to be able to learn all kinds of things about people the way Sherlock does but honestly who the gently caress notices if somebody is left-handed unless they see them writing?

gently caress, I didn't even know my own mother was left-handed until I was 13 or so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And then the stranger moved a couple seats away to get away from the creepy kid with aspergers who noticed all kinds of weird things about them.

edit: The thread title changed :allears:

miserable lil onion
Oct 15, 2008
*gazes wistfully at tattoo drawing*

drat it, Sheila. drat it...

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

All these whores keep abusing their privilege and cutting in line they need to be stopped! :qq:

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
:rolleyes: Those females, always with the false rape accusations.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Every time a girl runs into a fan who is a big enough zealot about some sort of nerdy enterprise to accost a stranger about it, they also happen to know next to nothing about their business. I keep imagining that, if it's even really a woman who wrote the Dr. Who or the earlier Marvel stdh, that they are just as bad as the stereotypical male nerd. It's all this bullshit "Nobody is as big a fan as me" attitude and the whole story is probably based off someone saying "I like your phone/shirt" and them mumbling under their breath "You don't even know!".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I always love the conflict between 'ugh don't lump me in with those totally real and existing fake geek girls who just want attention' and 'LOOK AT ME I CAN NAME THE DOCTORS WHICH BASICALLY MEANS I READ WIKIPEDIA ONCE! I AM A GIRL WHO CAN REMEMBER A THING!'

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

By today's standards, even though I've been playing video games and collecting action figures since I was twelve, since I don't have a tumblr, watch Dr. Who, or want to bang Tom Hiddleston I'm not a real nerd.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It would be fun to be able to learn all kinds of things about people the way Sherlock does but honestly who the gently caress notices if somebody is left-handed unless they see them writing?

gently caress, I didn't even know my own mother was left-handed until I was 13 or so.

I'll catch people opening bottles, which arm they wear a watch on, etc. But I teach some physical activity stuff with kids and it helps to know which handed they are, especially when you get people that don't know their left from right.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Plan Z posted:

I've actually had instances of buying jazz or classical albums, and having older people strike up conversations like this one. I also realize that if I was alive in the '40s, I would be forced to flip burgers, get drafted, and then strafed by a Stuka in the mess hall. This nerd would have whined about having to work Hard not Smart and starved.

If you ride a motorcycle or drive a interesting/classic/expensive car, you will have old guys strike up conversation with you at gas stations or in parking lots. It's in the Old Guy Handbook or something.
It's sort of fun to hear them tell you about all the rad cars they owned when they were young. Brand new classic American muscle cars, the first little Honda motorcycles imported to the US, etc.

But we don't hug, high five, or exchange offers of marriage because I live in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

By today's standards, even though I've been playing video games and collecting action figures since I was twelve, since I don't have a tumblr, watch Dr. Who, or want to bang Tom Hiddleston I'm not a real nerd.

That's what pisses me off about "nerd culture" or any insular group like that. If you like it but you like other things too or like it but don't know the names of every person involved, you're not a real fan. It's this weird desperation for validation that I guess people need and if you can somehow show you're a better fan than someone else, you become a better person than them. I've hung around with a lot of people like that and I'm sure I've done the same thing without realizing it but it's so embarrassing when someone is constantly trying to turn discussions into competitions because they want to prove that they know more about something.

• Locked thread