Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

BlueBayou posted:

Did my first cold water dive yesterday.

Neoprene gloves suck. Maybe mine were just too small, but my fingers still hurt today. And a hooded vest under the wetsuit puts twice as much pressure on my neck. I felt like I was going to pass out until I got in the water.

I might just stick with warm water diving.... oof

In my (limited) personal experience, you get used to the pressure on the neck. The fact that in the water (when the neoprene gets a bit softer) you felt OK, probably means that if you stick with it it will get easier. I dive in Sydney and it's pretty cold (15 c) and at first the hooded vest made me feel like I'm going to die, but now I wouldn't want to dive without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm doing my first dive post-open water certification on my own (no buddies going with so I'll have to make a friend on the boat) in Catalina on Sunday.

I picked up some DAN insurance because I get paranoid about poo poo like that, I'm getting rental gear from the shop, same place I got certified at.
Got my gloves my boots my mask and snorkel. Got my card (cert and DAN card), my logbook. Anything I'm missing that the instructors usually handled that I'm forgetting? :spergin:

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'm doing my first dive post-open water certification on my own (no buddies going with so I'll have to make a friend on the boat) in Catalina on Sunday.

I picked up some DAN insurance because I get paranoid about poo poo like that, I'm getting rental gear from the shop, same place I got certified at.
Got my gloves my boots my mask and snorkel. Got my card (cert and DAN card), my logbook. Anything I'm missing that the instructors usually handled that I'm forgetting? :spergin:

Talk with your buddy beforehand, make sure they know your comfort level and that your plans for the dive align.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

(no buddies going with so I'll have to make a friend on the boat) in Catalina on Sunday.

As a SoCal native, feel free to shoot me an email (st9494 at gmail) anytime you want to go diving. I'm mainly a shore diver, but seriously need to make it out on a boat to Catalina this summer.

If you haven't seen Laguna yet, we could hit up Crescent Bay once the conditions improve.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Mr.AARP posted:

As a SoCal native, feel free to shoot me an email (st9494 at gmail) anytime you want to go diving. I'm mainly a shore diver, but seriously need to make it out on a boat to Catalina this summer.

If you haven't seen Laguna yet, we could hit up Crescent Bay once the conditions improve.

This is my first time diving outside the class, the two trips in the class were also at catalina. I jumped on a promo at the dive shop for boat out with 3 dives and all rental gear for $100. I'd do shore dives but I don't really have the space to own my own gear so I just hop on promos like this one. :(

I'll let you know next time for sure though!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

macado posted:

Dont give up on it just yet. Sounds like your gloves were too small. A properly fitting 7mm with a normal 5mm hood with bibb can be great this time a year.

Alternatively, the expensive and inevitable option for New England diving is to invest in a drysuit

Yeah i want to get a drysuit eventually, since that will also make it easier to sail in the wintertime. But man, I felt so constricted and claustrophobic in a full, thick wet suit with hood and gloves as compared to the little shorty I wore in Mexico.

Also, how in gods name do you catch lobsters? Tricky little buggers always seem to get away from me. Crabs on the other hand, were easy to pick up and sometimes wouldn't let go.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Cru Jones posted:

Talk with your buddy beforehand, make sure they know your comfort level and that your plans for the dive align.

Make sure to work out hand signals ahead of time, too. They're usually consistent, but it's best to double-check if you haven't dived with them before.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Good tips, thanks everyone. Oh boy how exciting to dive and not have to do drills at the bottom of the ocean. :neckbeard:

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Mr.AARP posted:

Do let the thread know when conditions there are good, I'd probably be up for it.

I have a conundrum, normally I have no interest in purchasing gear from Sport Chalet, but I have a 20% off* coupon and they have the tank I'm considering getting (Steel HP 120). The problem is the discount is in the form of a gift card and I am not sure I can find $80 more stuff I want there.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

BotchedLobotomy posted:

This is my first time diving outside the class, the two trips in the class were also at catalina. I jumped on a promo at the dive shop for boat out with 3 dives and all rental gear for $100. I'd do shore dives but I don't really have the space to own my own gear so I just hop on promos like this one. :(

I'll let you know next time for sure though!

The most important thing post-class is just to keep diving :)

Aquila posted:

Do let the thread know when conditions there are good, I'd probably be up for it.

I have a conundrum, normally I have no interest in purchasing gear from Sport Chalet, but I have a 20% off* coupon and they have the tank I'm considering getting (Steel HP 120). The problem is the discount is in the form of a gift card and I am not sure I can find $80 more stuff I want there.

Good choice, I have an HP100 myself. You could always grab a few backup lights (do you night dive?) and air cards, etc. to spend $80 on.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Aquila posted:

Things for 80 dollars eh? Looking at their website and assuming this is 80 bucks to burn.

JBL mini speargun for 96 bucks.
Dive alert for 90 (these things are awesome)
If you have an Iphone, a watershot housing to make it an underwater camera.
A dive knife you'd never spend the money on.
Akona mesh bag for 60 bucks
New fins
New mask
Spare parts kit
Scuba tool kit
Dry Boxes
Random rear end small nick nacks

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Water as staying hydrated is a thing, or so I've been told.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I have to get Hollis regs serviced. One DC1 first stage and two 212 second stages.

$135 labour plus parts ($60 per service kit x 3) = $315.

Stupid Australia :argh:

Finch! fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 19, 2013

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
I burned through this thread over the past couple of weeks, but I'm really enjoying it. I'm a rescue diver out of southeast New Mexico, and thinking about doing a DM internship soon. I leave December 9 for Navy bootcamp, and I'll be in San Antonio, Texas all spring/summer for hospital corpsman school. I plan on doing plenty of diving in the gulf when I'm there, and I'm really going to be pulling to be stationed in Hawaii or Guam. My fiancé just got her PADI OW cert last weekend, and we're going in her first dive outside of class this Sunday in a local lake called Bottomless. Just wanted to drop my name, and see if anyone has any experience diving out of Corpus/Padre islands/Mustang island?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
So getting my poo poo together for my dive this weekend I've come to realize that while the class I took advertised PADI certification, looks like I am SDI certified. Should I be upset/mad at all or does it not really matter in the long run?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

BotchedLobotomy posted:

So getting my poo poo together for my dive this weekend I've come to realize that while the class I took advertised PADI certification, looks like I am SDI certified. Should I be upset/mad at all or does it not really matter in the long run?
Well that's.... really odd for one thing. Your book and other course materials should have had PADI or SDI plastered all over them. If you were trying to go a certain route with PADI then It's a problem but otherwise as long as you are satisfied with your instruction it does not matter.

Still, that's just strange. How did you it take you until this point to realize that you were in an SDI course and not PADI? Why would they falsely advertise? That's just asking to get the poo poo sued out of them by one or both agencies.

If you really want a PADI cert too and -if- your instructor is also a PADI one, you've probably already met all the in water standards for both agencies' open water classes and if can get them to give you the PADI test they could give you that card as well.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Bishop posted:

Well that's.... really odd for one thing. Your book and other course materials should have had PADI or SDI plastered all over them. If you were trying to go a certain route with PADI then It's a problem but otherwise as long as you are satisfied with your instruction it does not matter.

Still, that's just strange. How did you it take you until this point to realize that you were in an SDI course and not PADI? Why would they falsely advertise? That's just asking to get the poo poo sued out of them by one or both agencies.

If you really want a PADI cert too and -if- your instructor is also a PADI one, you've probably already met all the in water standards for both agencies' open water classes and if can get them to give you the PADI test they could give you that card as well.

You think I would be able to go from PADI to SSI open water like this?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

quote:

Nah it was for sure all SDI coursework now that I recall, I just never actually put a layer of thought on it. I actually dont really care where I'm certified at as long as I dont get "barred" from a place for having an "inferior" cert or something.

quote:

Probably my bad in this case, I did get in on a special rather than their normal cert class so maybe it was different.

quote:

If you really want a PADI cert too and -if- your instructor is also a PADI one, you've probably already met all the in water standards for both agencies' open water classes and if can get them to give you the PADI test they could give you that card as wel
I 100% dont care as long as I'm not crippled in the long run with a cert that doesnt hold water. Last thing I want is to go to some fantastic tropical destination, pull my credentials out and then get shut down because its not accredited or something (I have no idea how this works). Will this even be an issue?

Later down the road I want to get AOW certification and probably some other cool ones, so if I'm ok to keep doing the SDI path I dont care as long as I dont get screwed in the long run. :shobon:

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 19, 2013

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Rude. posted:

You think I would be able to go from PADI to SSI open water like this?
No in the situations I've seen this happen it's normally an instructor who is certified by two agencies meeting the same standards for both while also giving you each agencies' course materials and tests so it's not a retroactive thing in most cases.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Later down the road I want to get AOW certification and probably some other cool ones, so if I'm ok to keep doing the SDI path I dont care as long as I dont get screwed in the long run. :shobon:
You're cool then as long as you are happy with the level of instruction you received.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

I burned through this thread over the past couple of weeks, but I'm really enjoying it. I'm a rescue diver out of southeast New Mexico, and thinking about doing a DM internship soon. I leave December 9 for Navy bootcamp, and I'll be in San Antonio, Texas all spring/summer for hospital corpsman school. I plan on doing plenty of diving in the gulf when I'm there, and I'm really going to be pulling to be stationed in Hawaii or Guam. My fiancé just got her PADI OW cert last weekend, and we're going in her first dive outside of class this Sunday in a local lake called Bottomless. Just wanted to drop my name, and see if anyone has any experience diving out of Corpus/Padre islands/Mustang island?

Yes. There isn't really any shore diving along the Texas coast, but we have a type of diving not a lot of places have. Rig Diving. Charter a boat out to one of the ridiculous amount of oil rigs and dive beneath them. The structure becomes covered with coral/invertabrates and then become home to ridiculous amounts of fish. Its some seriously cool diving and lots of charter companies in the area run rig dives. They are however not beginner dives usually, so you'd definitely need to get your AOW cert at the least.

The other big coastal thing off texas is the Texas Flower Gardens Marine Sanctuary. Its a NOAA marine preserve about 70-150 miles of the coast of Port Aransas, and is a straight up coral reef in texas. You can charter weekend long liveaboards out there and get some fantastic diving. I did one and i absolutely loved it. Great boat, great staff, great diving. This is the charter company i used and i loved it http://www.flingcharters.com/ 30 divers on the boat, and they had nitrox onboard which was huge too. Again, not beginner dives.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I'm two pool sessions into my open water certification, with I think one more day of confined water. Aside from being surprisingly tired for like a day after each class so far, I noticed that during my last class on Wednesday, my sinuses started dripping mucus like nobody's business. I've been doing well enough at clearing my ears during descents, but especially at the surface, I'd constantly feel gross ick in the back of my throat.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a sore throat from nasal drip and clogged sinuses. Since actually getting up for the day, I've had drippy sinuses and an excess of saliva. I took some DayQuil, had soup and spicy food for lunch and have been downing tea all day like nobody's business.

Sorry if this is really :words: but I wanted to be as detailed as possible before I asked - is any of this normal with starting to dive?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's possible that water is being forced into your sinuses somehow, possible from mask flooding, and then leaking out later. Alternatively, the dry air from the tank may be drying out your sinuses, and they're overproducing mucus to compensate.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm trying to dive the Sheridan/Blackthorn wrecks in the Tampa/Clearwater area tomorrow morning. Anybody done it? Looks like a pretty popular dive site. Any tips?

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013

I actually got OW certified in Balmorhea, and did some of the AOW stuff while helping a class there, and then did my rescue diver stuff there as well. I've only been diving in 5 different lakes to account for all of my dives, I've had no ocean experience yet. I'd like to get a hefty amount of experience in currents and open water I'm the gulf while I'm in Texas, before I pursue my DM at my first duty station after training. Any recommendations for shops to take some training through, either PADI or more technically oriented organizations, in the SA area?

Akula Raskolnikova fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 20, 2013

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I 100% dont care as long as I'm not crippled in the long run with a cert that doesnt hold water. Last thing I want is to go to some fantastic tropical destination, pull my credentials out and then get shut down because its not accredited or something (I have no idea how this works). Will this even be an issue?

Yeah you're cool, SDI is recognised worldwide and you can switch between the different bodies like PADI/SSI/NAUI/etc for your Advanced/Rescue courses without issue. My OW/Nitrox cards are from PADI and AOW is from NAUI. I will probably do my Rescue cert with SDI.

FIN QUESTION:

Hollis F1 vs Scubapro Jetfins vs OMS Slipstreams

I'm looking to switch to jetfin style fins for my eventual foray into tech. Currently using Mares Xtremes which i'm finding to be too positively buoyant. Has anyone got any feedback on these? Currently leaning towards the Hollis fins because a) they come with a spring strap as standard and b) have a yellow/black pair instead of the usual all-black design. I want some colour to stand out in the crowd of ninjas.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

I actually got OW certified in Balmorhea, and did some of the AOW stuff while helping a class there, and then did my rescue diver stuff there as well. I've only been diving in 5 different lakes to account for all of my dives, I've had no ocean experience yet. I'd like to get a hefty amount of experience in currents and open water I'm the gulf while I'm in Texas, before I pursue my DM at my first duty station after training. Any recommendations for shops to take some training through, either PADI or more technically oriented organizations, in the SA area?

Hahaha balmorhea is a fun dive, but man i didn't need to spend 3 days there diving it like i did. San Antonio, i don't know dive shops. I did my training and 2 years of Divemastering in Austin. Best i can do is say call my old dive shop Scubaland Adventures and as them what they say about San Antonio dive shops? I'm guessing you're spending time in Lackland?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I did my first ever dive yesterday with the GF :woop: :woop:

We went to the lake with a local club for a first time thing, so all material was provided and we were with a cool instructor.
He explained how stuff worked etc.. and how we should equip, learned a lot of stuff.

As far as the dive in itself, well honestly the first 10 minutes my GF was really nervous, she already told me beforehand that she was afraid and I tried to comfort her saying it would be fine. However I poo poo my pants too a bit :v:, I had to adjust my breathing and calm down but in the end I got the hang of it I think. The instructor noticed my GF was way more nervous than me so he focused on trying to calm her but as soon as we started moving and he showed stuff around it went fine. We saw little lake fishes and stuff and got to see what the deal is about.

We were really happy anyway and enjoyed ourselves a lot. Only little problem is the hurting ears, the GF has one ear that she cannot purge and it was hurting a lot a few hours after the dive, this morning she said it hurts less so it looks like it's getting better.

We'll think about how to proceed next, we are going to the Maldives end of august so we'll at least do a dive with instructor there. Maybe we'll do a cert if we really enjoy it, I'd personally be up for it but I'm not so sure about my other half.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013

Crunkjuice posted:

Hahaha balmorhea is a fun dive, but man i didn't need to spend 3 days there diving it like i did. San Antonio, i don't know dive shops. I did my training and 2 years of Divemastering in Austin. Best i can do is say call my old dive shop Scubaland Adventures and as them what they say about San Antonio dive shops? I'm guessing you're spending time in Lackland?

Yeah, I've gone diving in Balmorhea a total of 12 times, and I'll be fine if I never see it again. My dive instructor loves using it over the blue hole in Santa Rosa, so that's where he does all the training he can get away with. My fiancé liked the town and wants to go back just to swim and spend the night there, though.

I'll be stationed at Fort Sam Houston, which is right in San Antonio. I used to teach an equivalent level medical program that I'll be going through, so I will have plenty of free time on nights and weekends. Austin isn't too far away, but I'm sure there have to be some quality outfits out of the SA area.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
That actually sounds really cool. I'm a bit surprised the companies that own the rigs allow it for liability reasons.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bishop posted:

That actually sounds really cool. I'm a bit surprised the companies that own the rigs allow it for liability reasons.

I don't think the rigs are active? I'm actually not sure at all the legality or liability issues about them at all. Maybe something in maritime property laws says they don't own the water around their rig? I'd be curious for someone to answer this.

Heres a pretty decent video that illustrates rig diving. Definitely a neat dive that is fairly specific to the gulf of mexico. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgiqw-xE-ws Rig diving can get super loving confusing too. Everyone thinks "oh, navigation will be a sinch since i just have to stay within this box". Everything looks the loving same, there are pipes/cables loving everywhere and it all gets fairly disorienting fairly quickly. My buddy and i got super lost, remembered the dive line connected at 45 feet and swam in circles until we found it. The rig i dove was High Island 389a. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHk1cgORSAI

Edit: Talked to my instructor. Apparently they are reclassified as artificial reefs and the top structure is generally removed, so they're derelict. Theres a huge stink about removing the structure since every rig created 2-3 acres of habitat for sealife, and theres a big marine conservation effort to keep the bottom structures intact for the eco system. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/us/a-fight-to-convert-high-island-a-platform-into-a-reef.html

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 21, 2013

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Speaking of rigs. I'm currently not that keen on diving at Sipadan, but when i get around to it I want to stay at Seaventures. They towed in an old rig and coverted it to a small dive resort.

http://seaventuresdive.com/

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

We have a few pretty crazy rigs in Socal as well.

My goal is to get good enough with my buoyancy control to go out there around Christmas. drat DIR divers make it look so easy...

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

raffie posted:

Hollis F1 vs Scubapro Jetfins vs OMS Slipstreams

I'm looking to switch to jetfin style fins for my eventual foray into tech. Currently using Mares Xtremes which i'm finding to be too positively buoyant. Has anyone got any feedback on these? Currently leaning towards the Hollis fins because a) they come with a spring strap as standard and b) have a yellow/black pair instead of the usual all-black design. I want some colour to stand out in the crowd of ninjas.
This is a pretty personal choice and all of those brands have good reputations. If you have a chance try some out. There is no one tech fin to rule them all, although jet styles are very common. What you are looking for is something stiff and heavy. I just bought the dive rite fins and I think I'm in love. You see a LOT of those too, especially among ocean divers. Adding to the weight part, drysuit divers like heavier ones more because it helps trim them out while people who mostly dive wet might want something a bit lighter. Either way the main thing is to always have your fins up and above your head to prevent kicking up silt.

As far as colors go, go hog wild. People have to put their initials on their fins using white out or something because on certain boats it's all jets or dive rites and we would all accidentally walk away with each others fins. I saw a dude with all pink jets recently and that was awesome.

Beyond the inertia of people buying them because that's what they think they're supposed to do when getting into tech, here are the main things some of these fins do for you that make them good: Stiff means power, you can generate a lot of power when you need to. Stiff also means that you can do fine tune kicks while barely moving your legs, a very nice thing to have in overhead. Also I'd hate to try and do a back kick in floppy split fins. Spring heels are very nice because they're less likely to break on you and easy take on and off.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Yesterday I bought a new HP120 tank from Sport Chalet. It's a very new location (dtla) so most of the staff had basically no idea about things like visual inspections and such. Luckily both the managers were from other stores and they got all that sorted.

Mr.AARP posted:

We have a few pretty crazy rigs in Socal as well.

My goal is to get good enough with my buoyancy control to go out there around Christmas. drat DIR divers make it look so easy...

Rig dives here in socal are something I'd like to try, but not for a while.

Bishop posted:

Also I'd hate to try and do a back kick in floppy split fins.

I am getting tired of my floppy split fins. If only I'd known anything about this sport before I knew anything about this sport.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

^ Let me know when you want to break in that new tank. I'm doing a night dive at Redondo sometime this week so I'll report back on just how terrible the vis is.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Le0 posted:

We'll think about how to proceed next, we are going to the Maldives end of august so we'll at least do a dive with instructor there. Maybe we'll do a cert if we really enjoy it, I'd personally be up for it but I'm not so sure about my other half.

I went to the Maldives a couple years ago. The main island of Male is pretty small, you could seriously see most of it in a day. Even then there's not much to do.

If you're staying on a resort you'll have access to more entertainment (probably), as well as alcohol. No booze on the main island though.

When I went it was part of a liveaboard dive package. I went in December so the currents were a little strong, and as such a few dives had poor vis.

It was however awesome. Swam with manta rays and whale sharks, and even saw my first octopus. I highly recommend you go dive while you're there.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Dives 7-9 completed on Catalina island today. :getin:

Fuckload of Spiny Lobster at bird rock, easily saw hundreds, ended up seeing one of these guys:

which is neat since a lot of the stuff around catalina are fairly drab neutral colors (aside from the garibaldi and a couple other things)

Probably going to go back next Sunday and take the Catalina express out there; just do some dives off the shore into the parks. Is there anything else other than lovers cove and the casino park to check out? Is it worth it at all?

Once I get my AOW I'd love to join on some beach dives too, but I feel like at that point I should get my own set of gear so 1 off dives don't bankrupt me.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Does anyone know of any good diving in Punta Cana/The Dominican Republic? I'll be going with my girlfriend next month, and was curious if you guys have any "Must dive" sites

murt
Aug 8, 2010
Hello, Im currently in Utila doing my open water dive course. I just have 1 dive left until I get certified but im extremely nervous about taking off my mask as part of the skills. Once I get water in my mask or take it off I start trying to breathe through my nose and then I panic and hold my breath. How can I get used to only breathing through my mouth/regulator and stop panicking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

murt posted:

Hello, Im currently in Utila doing my open water dive course. I just have 1 dive left until I get certified but im extremely nervous about taking off my mask as part of the skills. Once I get water in my mask or take it off I start trying to breathe through my nose and then I panic and hold my breath. How can I get used to only breathing through my mouth/regulator and stop panicking?

Do you have your mask/snorkel with you. If so, in your tub/sink/resort pool just practice snorkeling and breathing with your face in the water. When you are comfortable with that, take your mask OFF and continue to breath with your face in the water and force yourself through the panic. It is a weird sensation having those cold bubbles bounce around your face but its something you just gotta get used to. If you can do it in a controlled environment like your sink/bathtub for a few minutes, it'll help boost your confidence with the skill.

Another thing is to remember the mask is not a piece of surivival gear underwater like your regulator/tank are. Yeah you'll have poor vision/salt water to deal with, but losing your mask (what these skills train you for) is not a life threatening emergency. Its definitely awkward, but something you'll get used to with a little practice. Good luck!