Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
If the status quo of Venture Bros is to buck the status quo, is not *not* bucking the status quo in fact a way of bucking the status quo?
:smug:

I thought it was definitely the weakest of the season, but still fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

RandomPauI posted:

Edit: I'm surprised at how well Hank and Dean adapted to life with their godfathers.

I'm not. Both were self-absorbed cocksuckers just like Rusty, but they were both self-absorbed cocksuckers whose demands of their godsons were less than what Rusty wanted, and unlike Rusty, both could easily take care of themselves despite being of advanced age.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm going to miss this show for a whole year or more now :smith:.

But this season had some gold moments.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, couldn't the Monarch have broken a pretty big Guild law by revealing that Dr. Mrs. the Monarch is the newest member of the Council of Thirteen?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WAR FOOT posted:

This episode seemed just really weak for the season, I thought. Pacing seemed slow, and almost all the potential buildup of what happened last episode was ignored or dismissed. My disquiet seems to stem from The Venture Bros. bucking the status quo often, yet I see Vatred returning to be more aggressive and Gary going back to the Monarch as a return to it.

Agreed on Gary to some extent, but Vatred's had his moments of weakness ever since switching sides. This isn't really bucking a trend.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hermetic posted:

My only real disappointment in the finale, other than it not being a full hour long, is that we had a dental torture scene, and The Monarch didn't ask Dr. Venture "Is it safe?" a few times.

Well he did quote the nazi dentist's other lines from when he was torturing Dustin Hoffman.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

A weak episode, but I'm still looking forward to Season 6 and more of Fat Chance and Dr Henry Killinger.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, couldn't the Monarch have broken a pretty big Guild law by revealing that Dr. Mrs. the Monarch is the newest member of the Council of Thirteen?

Everyone in the Guild of Calamitous Intent with the possible exception of the Sovereign mocks Guild law on a pretty much daily basis.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

WAR FOOT posted:

My disquiet seems to stem from The Venture Bros. bucking the status quo often, yet I see Vatred returning to be more aggressive and Gary going back to the Monarch as a return to it.
We've never really seen Hatred being passionate about arching, perhaps that this incident with Gary will make him just as passionate as the Monarch is about Rusty? He's once said that there was a lot less hatred in him, what if it has come back to some extent? Maybe he will become really competent once again? It could create an interesting situation in which the Venture forces and the Monarch forces still butt heads, but the rivalry is mainly between their number 2, with the bosses sort of caught in the middle. The Monarch will be the one threatened while the Ventures are, for the first time, on the offensive.

Long story short : same statu quo, completely different relationships between the characters. You could almost make something new with this!

quote:

Everyone in the Guild of Calamitous Intent with the possible exception of the Sovereign mocks Guild law on a pretty much daily basis.
Actually, no. It's Council Code which is absolutely not enforced by the Council, but Guild Law tends to be respected.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Speaking of, have we seen The Intangible Fancy since the Council threatened to behead him?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

X_Toad posted:

I wonder if he would still have reacted the same way had he realized that he wasn't immortal anymore?
Given his attitude toward being a superhero and the various careless/carefree ways that he's died in the past, that doesn't make any sense at all.

KayGee
Nov 23, 2011

Orks is da biggest and da strrrrongest.

X_Toad posted:

We've never really seen Hatred being passionate about arching, perhaps that this incident with Gary will make him just as passionate as the Monarch is about Rusty? He's once said that there was a lot less hatred in him, what if it has come back to some extent? Maybe he will become really competent once again? It could create an interesting situation in which the Venture forces and the Monarch forces still butt heads, but the rivalry is mainly between their number 2, with the bosses sort of caught in the middle. The Monarch will be the one threatened while the Ventures are, for the first time, on the offensive.

I don't think so He starts apologising and telling Gary to get out of the Cocoon when he realises how much damage he just did to it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

KayGee posted:

I don't think so He starts apologising and telling Gary to get out of the Cocoon when he realises how much damage he just did to it

But he was still ranting about him at the funeral.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

robot roll call posted:

With this show's turnaround there is no way the Monarch's old home was an on purpose Mad Men joke. That episode only aired like a month ago.

As soon as I saw it, I thought Paper Street house from Fight Club. Especially with the industrial plant behind it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

6 fingers...

:tinfoil:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

VB and Gravity Falls share a universe...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Knowing the VB universe, the sculptor probably just hosed it up and added an extra finger.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blind Sally posted:

Knowing the VB universe, the sculptor probably just hosed it up and added an extra finger.

When Team Venture noticed there is a good chance they murdered his family.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not sure why, but for me the funniest thing in this episode was the long shot of the cocoon exploding in a huge fireball and the hover tank just this tiny little silhouette in front of it buggering off for all it's worth while Vatred screams over the megaphone how much he hates Gary but still he's gotta get outta there.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bobkatt013 posted:

When Team Venture noticed there is a good chance they murdered his family.

Then peed on the grave.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Gotta say, weak as hell season. Didn't like much of it at all throughout. It seemed to be a case of filler episodes capped with another filler episode. Hope next season gets back to the normal quality.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blind Sally posted:

I guess you could say... heh... that the sculptor failed.

Because the theme of the show you see.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Republicanus posted:

Gotta say, weak as hell season. Didn't like much of it at all throughout. It seemed to be a case of filler episodes capped with another filler episode. Hope next season gets back to the normal quality.

Huh, while I thought the finale was a bit weak (still enjoyable, but a bit anti-climactic) I thought this season knocked every episode out of the park. I thought it was pretty top shelf the whole time. Going back and watching previous seasons, the animation is top-notch, and I thought it was loving hilarious--though I realize humour is a far more subjective concept.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lately it feels like the show wants to be storyline driven but doesn't want to get caught up in the storyline and leave the jokes behind so it somehow ends up half-assing them both and leaves people disappointed on both ends.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Republicanus posted:

I guess I could understand if people thought this season wasn't as plot-heavy, but I don't know how anyone could watch 'OSI Love You', and not be entertained as hell.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

quote:

Lately it feels like the show wants to be storyline driven but doesn't want to get caught up in the storyline and leave the jokes behind so it somehow ends up half-assing them both and leaves people disappointed on both ends.
It probably doesn't help that the story-driven part is only loosely connected to the part that isn't, and the later has all the main characters in it.

But yeah, despite loving the season on the whole, I'm not sure if I'm liking how they're injecting plot in the series. It mostly sticks to side characters and as a result, it doesn't feel right.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I wouldn't be surprised if the series ended in a plot about the inquisitor aliens and some galactic hijinks.

I thought this season was very solid. The episodic nature of the season seemed to me a deliberate choice as a call back to season 1 and 2 after the plot line heavy natures of season 3 and 4. They explored the backgrounds of the main cast a lot in the past two seasons, so maybe Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick wanted to give the characters some more space to just be themselves instead of constantly delving into the mysteries of the fictional world. I think season 6 is going to be very plot heavy due to all of the loose ends laid out in this season. Also, Momma's Boys might be one of my favorite episodes from the series.

Edit: I do think they are having some trouble integrating the OSI plot line with the venture family plot line. They could probably be two different shows at this point that just happen to take place in the same fictional universe.

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 22, 2013

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

socialsecurity posted:

Lately it feels like the show wants to be storyline driven but doesn't want to get caught up in the storyline and leave the jokes behind so it somehow ends up half-assing them both and leaves me disappointed on both ends.

Only you and a couple of others. For the most part everyone here has enjoyed the season. To say people were upset is a misnomer. This series was as good as anything they have done to date.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

evilwaldo posted:

Only you and a couple of others. For the most part everyone here has enjoyed the season. To say people were upset is a misnomer. This series was as good as anything they have done to date.

That's the impression I'm getting here, on Twitter, and review sites (especially AV Club).

This season did a great job of tying up a lot of loose ends.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

quote:

I thought this season was very solid. The episodic nature of the season seemed to me a deliberate choice as a call back to season 1 and 2 after the plot line heavy natures of season 3 and 4.

I would disagree that season 3 and season 4 were plot-heavy. Sure, they built up a lot of mythology and had a lot of character development, but the only plots were in their last 2 episodes, and even then they were generally done in those same episodes.

In the current season, the 'plot' is set relatively early in the third episode : Gathers wants to take down the Guild, permanently. Then, in the fifth episode, the O.S.I. gets closer to that goal and the Investors are revealed as direct antagonists. In the seventh episode, the O.S.I. makes its next move based on the intelligence gathered in the fifth. That feels plot-heavy! It's like a Stand Alone Complex in which the 'Stand Alone' and 'Complex' parts involve two different set of characters.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 22, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Republicanus posted:

I don't know how anyone could watch that opening episode and not be overjoyed. The tribal mutant interns were amazing. Eat the pennies, Quizboy!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Republicanus posted:

Wow. This was pretty weak for a finale, but every other episode knocked it out of the park in different ways. Best season yet.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Pope Guilty posted:

Hank's responding to learning that he's a clone was so perfect. There's no other way that he could have reacted other than to be ecstatic.

Yeah, it made the season full of Dean moping around about being a clone worth it.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

X_Toad posted:

I would disagree that season 3 and season 4 were plot-heavy. Sure, they built up a lot of mythology and had a lot of character development, but the only plots were in their last 2 episodes, and even then they were generally done in those same episodes.

In the current season, the 'plot' is set relatively early in the third episode : Gathers wants to take down the Guild, permanently. Then, in the fifth episode, the O.S.I. gets closer to that goal and the Investors are revealed as direct antagonists. In the seventh episode, the O.S.I. makes its next move based on the intelligence gathered in the fifth. That feels plot-heavy!

True, I am conflating character development and world building with plot.
Your point on the plot heaviness of this season is interesting to me since all of it was related to the OSI episodes, which affirms my point that the OSI stuff feels like a different show than the Venture family stuff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm shocked people didn't like the finale. I loved it, and I was impressed they left Brock out. I like Brock but he doesn't have to be a part of every major event. Getting 21 and Hatred on crusade was far more entertaining.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm happy with the way the show is now big enough to pick some subset of characters to focus on each episode. It is a good way to change up the pace. The show has come a long way since "Doc, Brock, and the Boys go on an adventure each week". Obviously an OSI spinoff would be great but the creators only have so much time on their hands.

Plot things that will be resolved next season(I'm guessing):
- More OSI stuff - guild, something with Headshot/Brock/Amber, investors
- Something with the Revenge Society - it's pretty weird that they were only seen once, post-credits
- Hank and Dean maybe being closer next season? This one is a guess. I miss them doing things together.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm going to have to rewatch that scene, but I wonder (just for comedy's sake) if the Revenge Society is squatting in The Monarch's old house. Beginning of the next season he walks in to see them there and tries to kick them out.

Also, where did that Vatred thing come from? I thought I only saw it used online, and up until last night's episodes I didn't think anyone said it in the show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, also, "You love that sideboard!"

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

IUG posted:

I'm going to have to rewatch that scene, but I wonder (just for comedy's sake) if the Revenge Society is squatting in The Monarch's old house. Beginning of the next season he walks in to see them there and tries to kick them out.

Also, where did that Vatred thing come from? I thought I only saw it used online, and up until last night's episodes I didn't think anyone said it in the show.

When he first gets the V, Rusty says something along the lines of "so, what are you Vatred now?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

Hank called him Uncle Vatred when Molotov knocked him out on the OSI Hovership.