Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Colier is chuck/neck, and paleron is shoulder/blade (I think)
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...iw=1231&bih=710

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Beef shin is amazing for stews. Use that if you can.

Pinkerton
Jan 21, 2002

Never sleeping...
What do you all do for dinners on days (like today in New England) where the temperature is so hot hot that the thought of turning on the oven / standing over a cooktop is nauseating? I'm planning on boiling some frozen Ballpark hotdogs I found in the freezer. This is terrible.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Pinkerton posted:

What do you all do for dinners on days (like today in New England) where the temperature is so hot hot that the thought of turning on the oven / standing over a cooktop is nauseating? I'm planning on boiling some frozen Ballpark hotdogs I found in the freezer. This is terrible.

Salads
A cheese/smoked meat/fresh fruit plate
Good sandwiches
Gazspacho (though if using fresh tomatoes you may need boiling water)

From your description though, it sounds like you maybe don't have a lot of ingredients on hand at the moment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pinkerton posted:

Hah! What's up heatwave buddy? I have been making sandwiches and salads for the last few days because the thought of running the oven is just too much.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pinkerton posted:

Cook anyway and drink three bottles of water while the window is wide open and there's a fan cocked up in it. What you're experiencing in New England is what's normal for summer around here.

I also tend to make long-cooking stuff in the mornings and just microwave it if need be later on for dinner. That may not help for tonight, but maybe you can whip something up tomorrow morning? Also, my crockpot doesn't really emit any heat while it's cooking so that gets used a good bit because I like cold soup.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pinkerton posted:

That is, like, 99% of the summer days here in Inland Southern California. We cook on the grill a lot so that it doesn't heat up the house. I have and outdoor wok burner which I use a lot in the summer with the same intent. You can make pizzas on the grill, too. If you're looking for some great dishes to keep nice and cool in the summer that require minimal cooking: Gazpacho, cobb salad, any entree salad really, chilled soba with julienned cucumbers, thin omelette, and boiled and chilled shrimps are good, too. You can go chinese with some chilled dan dan mian or zha jiang miann. Vietnamese bun thit nuong is very refreshing. A quick stir fry of chicken or pork with some bean sprouts, woodears, shiitake, onions, water chestnuts, and/or bamboo shoots with a sauce of hoisin, oyster sauce, thinned with a bit of soy, and a dash of sesame oil is great served in bibb lettuce cups.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Pinkerton posted:

I've been avoiding the oven, too. If you don't mind a little heat, I've been frying thin meat quickly. Yesterday, I put the slow cooker on low for a few hours, but that added more heat to the apartment than I expected.

edit: The frying adds some heat, but I don't mind it. The people I live with do, so they just stay out of the kitchen. As long as they don't feel the heat in the living room, they don't mind.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

contrapants posted:

I've been avoiding the oven, too. If you don't mind a little heat, I've been frying thin meat quickly. Yesterday, I put the slow cooker on low for a few hours, but that added more heat to the apartment than I expected.

Put the slow cooker on your patio. :eng101:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

GrAviTy84 posted:

Put the slow cooker on your patio. :eng101:

I wish I had one. I'd just grill during the heat wave and wouldn't have to hear any complaints.

The outside door leads to a driveway that goes around the building with parallel parking. I have no place to set up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Cook anyway and drink three bottles of water while the window is wide open and there's a fan cocked up in it. What you're experiencing in New England is what's normal for summer around here.

I also tend to make long-cooking stuff in the mornings and just microwave it if need be later on for dinner. That may not help for tonight, but maybe you can whip something up tomorrow morning? Also, my crockpot doesn't really emit any heat while it's cooking so that gets used a good bit because I like cold soup.

No grill allowed near my place. Dumb fire codes around my part of Somerville :negative:

Stir fry is a good idea though. I've already been doing the crockpot route on the weekends for my lunches during the work week.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

squigadoo posted:

I don't think they are, but I'm not sure. The doners I had in Germany had the meat on a spit, and the meat was shaved off and stuffed into a flat bread. Gyros are fried strips of meat, right? I think the sauce is similar though.

Thank you for the link! I'm going to try something like that, but via Serious Eats' altered version.

I've seen gyros sold where they had the exact spit setup as doners. That's what made me think they were basically the same food. Turks and Greeks like to pretend they are polar opposites but they are the same in many ways.

Btw, Germany (Koln) is where I fell in love with doners too. They are absolutely the best drunk food possible. It's why I used that recipe to recreate them for a party.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010
I'm going to bake a crostata alla Nutella tomorrow and would like to use homemade Nutella (http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/02/homemade-nutella-recipe-chocolate-hazelnut-spread/). Does anyone foresee any problems with baking this stuff? Should I worry that it will break and leak oils everywhere or something? :ohdear:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Terrormisu posted:

Any suggestions for a white sangria recipe? Its for a byo sangria party on Saturday and I'd like to do something different than the traditional red wine version. Thanks!

I make mine in a 4L jug so adjust based on that.

3.5L cheap dry resling
2 peaches, ripe as hell
1/2 apple
1/2 pear
Handful of chopped strawberries

3oz Grand Marnier
3-4oz good dark rum
Tablespoon bitters

Chop up the fruit, really finely cutting one of the peaches. Stick them in the jug and add the liquor. Cap it and shake the poo poo out of it to bruise the fruit. Add the wine to like half way and shake like crazy again. Then fill it to the top and stick in the fridge for at least 10-12 hours.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
The in-laws are having us up to a cabin on the beach in a few weeks, and everybody's doing dinner a different night. I think for my night I might do a shrimp boil, because shrimp and sausage are both awesome, I don't have to rely on unknown kitchen equipment (I have a stockpot and propane burner, but I have no idea what the cabin will have), it should easily feed all 12 of us, and it appears to be easy as hell to make. Any tips or suggestions I can use to make sure this stuff turns out great?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Going to have an engagement party on a roofdeck in Boston, middle of a heatwave so cold drinks and food that go with that are what I'm looking at.

So far I am considering making cuban sandwiches (off an Alton Brown recipe) and having cold pickles and some chips and salsa as something for people to graze on.

For drinks there will be mojitos and I'm making up a pitcher of Kir for the hell of it (because it's a nice cold drink thats cheap and I can make beforehand.).

Any good suggestions to go along with this for sides / drinks / better cuban sandwich recipes?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Breaky posted:

Going to have an engagement party on a roofdeck in Boston, middle of a heatwave so cold drinks and food that go with that are what I'm looking at.

So far I am considering making cuban sandwiches (off an Alton Brown recipe) and having cold pickles and some chips and salsa as something for people to graze on.

For drinks there will be mojitos and I'm making up a pitcher of Kir for the hell of it (because it's a nice cold drink thats cheap and I can make beforehand.).

Any good suggestions to go along with this for sides / drinks / better cuban sandwich recipes?

If it's horrible and hot, get thee a watermelon. I know that it's not exactly fancy, but it's incredibly hydrating. Years ago, my family was going on a road trip that was long and arduous. I made my chickpea and everything but the kitchen sink salad that I like to make (red onions, olives, cherry tomato, cilantro, English cucumber, lemon juice, diced boiled potatoes, bell peppers, green peas, corn, carrots, celery, chives, julienned daikon radish, broccoli florets, roasted mushrooms, etc etc etc). However, we also had a giant watermelon that was chilling away in the fridge. I chopped up the watermelon into bite sized pieces, and put them into boxes for us to take. While I had a small portion of the salad, I had a huge portion of the watermelon. Rest of the fam grazed on the watermelon a bit, and then switched to potato chips, crackers, and soda. By the end of the trip, I was looking refreshed and clear-headed while my sister and dad were looking a bit peaky.

Seriously. Don't underestimate the importance of hydrating yourself when it's hot out. It's well worth the effort.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

dino. posted:

If it's horrible and hot, get thee a watermelon. I know that it's not exactly fancy, but it's incredibly hydrating. Years ago, my family was going on a road trip that was long and arduous. I made my chickpea and everything but the kitchen sink salad that I like to make (red onions, olives, cherry tomato, cilantro, English cucumber, lemon juice, diced boiled potatoes, bell peppers, green peas, corn, carrots, celery, chives, julienned daikon radish, broccoli florets, roasted mushrooms, etc etc etc). However, we also had a giant watermelon that was chilling away in the fridge. I chopped up the watermelon into bite sized pieces, and put them into boxes for us to take. While I had a small portion of the salad, I had a huge portion of the watermelon. Rest of the fam grazed on the watermelon a bit, and then switched to potato chips, crackers, and soda. By the end of the trip, I was looking refreshed and clear-headed while my sister and dad were looking a bit peaky.

Seriously. Don't underestimate the importance of hydrating yourself when it's hot out. It's well worth the effort.

Great idea, we had mentioned this before and forgotten about it. Will definitely include.

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?

bunnielab posted:

I make mine in a 4L jug so adjust based on that.

3.5L cheap dry resling
2 peaches, ripe as hell
1/2 apple
1/2 pear
Handful of chopped strawberries

3oz Grand Marnier
3-4oz good dark rum
Tablespoon bitters

Chop up the fruit, really finely cutting one of the peaches. Stick them in the jug and add the liquor. Cap it and shake the poo poo out of it to bruise the fruit. Add the wine to like half way and shake like crazy again. Then fill it to the top and stick in the fridge for at least 10-12 hours.

Perfect, thanks!

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Little late for the doner kebeb chat...but this is our recipe if it can still be used.

This is the closest we have been able to find to the stuff my husband grew up on in England. He says that they are REALLY close taste-wise to what he used to get in the chippy shops, and they aren't cooked like the elephant legs are.

Basically, take:

1 lb ground lean lamb (you do want some fat! They tend to add tail fat in England to theirs from what I was told.)
2 cloves crushed garlic
1.5 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Add 1-2 tsp marjoram (to taste) and 1-2 tsp mint (to taste)

Mix them all together well in a medium bowl, and then let sit covered in the fridge for 12-24 hours. The trick is to let them marinate like sausages to get the maximum flavor. Shape into patties about 1/2 thick, then broil 8-10 mins till no longer pink. Slice thinly and then serve with pita bread, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced onion and cucumber-garlic sauce (tzatziki).

Pinkerton
Jan 21, 2002

Never sleeping...

GrAviTy84 posted:

Great advice.

Thanks to you and others for the great advice. I think I'm going to have to start taking the weather into consideration when making my weekly grocery list.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm going to slow grill a lamb breast today, but I'm at a loss as to what I want to brush on it during cooking. Not really feeling BBQ sauce, but it would work in a pinch.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm going to slow grill a lamb breast today, but I'm at a loss as to what I want to brush on it during cooking. Not really feeling BBQ sauce, but it would work in a pinch.

Red wine, garlic, black pepper blended into a paste and then thinned with more wine.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So to make use of the mangos I am now buying on the regular because they are so awesome, I am following advice given here and tossing some on some vanilla ice cream. I wanted to really make it awesome by making some homemade chocolate syrup. I saw a couple recipes that seemed decent enough. Any reason most recommend water instead of milk, and unsweetened powder vs unsweetened bars? I figured the later in both instances would have way more flavor.

if anyone has a preferred recipe, that would be awesome too! I half wanted to make to screw around with it and make it a tiny bit spicy too with cayanne or sriracha, but then I think it would only be useful as an ice cream spread and not in milkshakes or anything else fun.

Also, how long will this stuff hold? I rarely eat sweet, so I don't wanna make a big batch if it will only last a few weeks

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Chiles and chocolate are cool, but sriracha would definitely add idk garlic and fermented things and would make it savory and weird (in my mind).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bunnielab posted:

Red wine, garlic, black pepper blended into a paste and then thinned with more wine.

A good suggestion. They're looking good.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A good suggestion. They're looking good.

Excellent. This fall i want to build a rotisserie pit thing to go with my grill and smoker. I have some ideas but I want to make it useful for both a small pig and like just a leg of whatever so it is going to take more thinking.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
http://localfoods.about.com/od/condiments/r/aioli.htm

If I were to use this recipe, would it still be okay to use a blend stick? I would think it would be okay, but just asking before I waste tasty eggs and garlic!

(also is this a good recipe for aioli? Looking to roast some artichokes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THE MACHO MAN posted:

So to make use of the mangos I am now buying on the regular because they are so awesome, I am following advice given here and tossing some on some vanilla ice cream. I wanted to really make it awesome by making some homemade chocolate syrup. I saw a couple recipes that seemed decent enough. Any reason most recommend water instead of milk, and unsweetened powder vs unsweetened bars? I figured the later in both instances would have way more flavor.

if anyone has a preferred recipe, that would be awesome too! I half wanted to make to screw around with it and make it a tiny bit spicy too with cayanne or sriracha, but then I think it would only be useful as an ice cream spread and not in milkshakes or anything else fun.

Also, how long will this stuff hold? I rarely eat sweet, so I don't wanna make a big batch if it will only last a few weeks

Water is probably preferred over milk because it will keep longer, and it also has fat and proteins that would give it a different flavor/texture/consistency than what chocolate sauce normally has.

Cocoa powder is fat free. Cocoa bars are not. That fat is solid at room temperature, so a sauce made out of it would be hard to pour and would need to be emulsified into your other sauce ingredients, which may not be easy.

So for a traditional, free flowing chocolate syrup, you need to do it the way you see in the recipes.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Boiling chocolate bars with milk, I think, would give you a ganache. Which is definitely a stronger, better chocolate flavor, and it would be tasty with the icecream and mango, but it would be a totally different topping.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, if you're going to put mangos on vanilla ice cream, I would suggest a topping other than chocolate. I recommend buckwheat honey.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Boiling chocolate bars with milk, I think, would give you a ganache. Which is definitely a stronger, better chocolate flavor, and it would be tasty with the icecream and mango, but it would be a totally different topping.

:eng101: Typically it's hot heavy cream poured over chocolate at some ratio to get the consistency you want. Usually boiling chocolate isn't a good thing.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Search isn't helping me out here. I'm looking for a thread where a goon built a backyard brick over.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I had a thread in the DIY forum but its long archived. There have been a couple, mine was for a super-cheap cinder block and brick square oven I built at my parents. Around $150 (way less if you have bricks/blocks lying around) to build. The most expensive part was the large piece of flagstone used for the top, then covered in bricks to retain heat. It pulled around 750-800 degrees. If you want I'll try and find the build pics.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Search isn't helping me out here. I'm looking for a thread where a goon built a backyard brick over.

This guy is currently building one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553893

Anyone have a good cheesecake recipe? I've never made one before and have been having a hankering for some delicious delicious cheesecake.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I had a thread in the DIY forum but its long archived. There have been a couple, mine was for a super-cheap cinder block and brick square oven I built at my parents. Around $150 (way less if you have bricks/blocks lying around) to build. The most expensive part was the large piece of flagstone used for the top, then covered in bricks to retain heat. It pulled around 750-800 degrees. If you want I'll try and find the build pics.

If you had any general build plan that would be great. I assume the idea is significantly different from a bbq pit due to in/direct heating.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Basically I just used the cinder blocks to build a raised platform, covered the bottom in bricks, built 3 walls with each layer offset by half a brick, then built a front wall with an open "door" and dropped the flagstone square on top. Then I covered the flagstone with additional bricks for heat retention. I had a oven thermometer I kept near the front and would build a fire inside, once the temp got high enough I'd push all the logs to one side and use a peel to put pizzas in on the other side. It generally took 2-3 minutes per pie.

:Edit: if you can get "fire bricks" do that. They are usually yellow and a bit smaller, I couldn't find any at Lowes or Home Depot so I had to use regular bricks. I also covered the outside of the bricks in concrete so there wouldn't be airflow between the bricks and to increase insulation.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Turkeybone posted:

:eng101: Typically it's hot heavy cream poured over chocolate at some ratio to get the consistency you want. Usually boiling chocolate isn't a good thing.

I stand corrected, glad I was at least kind of on the right track, though.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Crock pot question:

When my new job starts, I'll be out the door by 7 AM and home by 3 PM each day. I prefer eating dinner between 6 and 7 PM. So if I make a recipe in a crock pot with a cook time of 8 hours and start it as I'm leaving for work, would it ruin the food if I come home and reduce the crock pot setting to "Keep Warm" and leave it there until we want dinner? I'm kinda worried about it drying out too much. Or, if the recipe calls for 4 hours on high, could I do 8 hours on low instead?

I can't come home at lunch time to start it later, nor can my husband. Blah. But I've become really obsessed with crock pot cooking lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Crock pot question:

When my new job starts, I'll be out the door by 7 AM and home by 3 PM each day. I prefer eating dinner between 6 and 7 PM. So if I make a recipe in a crock pot with a cook time of 8 hours and start it as I'm leaving for work, would it ruin the food if I come home and reduce the crock pot setting to "Keep Warm" and leave it there until we want dinner? I'm kinda worried about it drying out too much. Or, if the recipe calls for 4 hours on high, could I do 8 hours on low instead?

I can't come home at lunch time to start it later, nor can my husband. Blah. But I've become really obsessed with crock pot cooking lately.

It all depends on the recipe in the end but most of the stuff I make would work within this time frame just fine.

Edit: For example, I just put in a bunch of yams and pork roast with a mirepoix and lime juice, garlic, thai chilis in the crockpot and am just gonna let it go on low all night then part it out for lunches in the morning.