Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I'm thinking of running a tactical combat PbP game with GURPS, sorta like the X-COM game that was running ages ago but themed differently. I've tried to do some basic mapping to that end, but I'm running into two snags.

Firstly, square mapping isn't too hard, but holy loving balls hex mapping is a pain in the rear end. The "1 inch = 3 feet = 1 move" thing works, but Photoshop seems to actively want to stymie my efforts to measure distance with it (the ruler tool is arcane and incomprehensible to me). How do you people who map for GURPS do it?

Secondly, my map layouts for indoor locations tend to be kind of unrealistic and "game-y" instead of resembling actual floorplans. Is that frowned upon? I could make them more realistic but I sorta feel like that wouldn't be as interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

WickedIcon posted:

Secondly, my map layouts for indoor locations tend to be kind of unrealistic and "game-y" instead of resembling actual floorplans. Is that frowned upon? I could make them more realistic but I sorta feel like that wouldn't be as interesting.

It really depends on your scenario.

If you have a shootout planned in a big office environment, don't add things like toilets. People will think someone is hiding there, or hole up in there shotgunning everyone who walks past in the face. It doesn't make for a fun adventure, just another empty room to check for no reason other than it is there. For shooting, just get some meeting rooms, cover, desks, seats, etc.

However, if it is a stealth missions those become ideal places to hide bodies or climb into an airduct while out of sight. Then again, I hardly ever run stealth stuff with maps.

It is funny you mention Xcom, because their environments are pretty amazing to play in, but I don't remember any toilets or supply closets.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm sort of basing the themes of it off of Rainbow Six (multinational team of soldiers sent in to shoot mans), X-COM (multinational team of very expendable soldiers sent in to shoot mans) and a few other things. So, not really stealth, more "don't run in guns blazing like a complete chucklefuck."

And I don't just mean that I don't have toilets and supply closets, I moreso mean that the layout of the building is like a maze with numerous wide-open spaces, rather than anything someone would actually build.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So uh, as the DM, is there ever a good time to use stun?

I used the Carrion Crawler level 5 Skirmisher from the MV (which has an at-will stun) on my level 5/6 party, and they got sad at me. I think I managed to use the stun twice in the fight.

Should I just downgrade those to dazed until the party reaches X level? Or else make it something like "on a failed save X worsens to stun"?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Honestly, I generally wouldn't use it on the PCs if I could avoid it. It makes things so boring. If you must use it, make sure they all have Superior WIll.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

P.d0t posted:

Or else make it something like "on a failed save X worsens to stun"?

That seems reasonable.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

P.d0t posted:

So uh, as the DM, is there ever a good time to use stun?

[ ... ]

Should I just downgrade those to dazed until the party reaches X level? Or else make it something like "on a failed save X worsens to stun"?

Your solution sounds reasonable for that situation.

Stun can be good as a boss-level encounter, or, even better, as a triggered reaction. One or two targeted stuns on important players (wizard/tank) can really up the tension of a fight. Its even better if the party can avoid/negate the stun.

I've got a boss encounter plotted where the boss has bells they ring in certain orders to do things, one of them is a stun (they can also do things like summon hungry kraken tentacles, or do ongoing damge. I'm working out how to drop hints about these combos/what they do) so the party would have a turn or two to try to interrupt the Boss's sequence.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

That seems reasonable.

Looking into it some more, that particular monster can knock enemies prone as a move action, then stun (save ends) and pull targets as a standard.

It seems like you could replace the stun with Grabbed; it makes sense to have the target grabbed before you can pull it, and "Grabbed + Prone" is approximately the same as "restrained but still subject to forced movement; spend 2 actions to escape the restrained condition". Hopefully this is sufficiently less lovely compared to stun, since at least the players have some agency over how to spend their turn.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Having one of our players on the receiving end of similar recently: Never, if you can avoid it.

Our game is slow, about 15-20m per round - a lot of our group really don't deal well with 4e tactical combat - so taking away a player's actions comes across as 'and now you don't get to play till the dice likes you'.

I think your grab solution is a lot better, it sounds more fun to be told "it's got you held in it's mandibles and it's going to eat you if you can't fight out of it!" rather than "it gobs on you, now you can't do anything."

e: I wouldn't want to GM 4e, because it seems that the GM's experience is so different from the players. Be aware that what might be 'oh, and you're stunned, next' for you (because you're controlling half the actions in a fight) comes across as 'nope, miss a go, wait ten minutes till next chance at fun' for the player.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 20, 2013

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Yeah, as a guy who went from playing to DMing, I can say that each side of the screen is a whole different kettle of fish.

Since running that encounter the other night, I emailed all my players, going over the gaffes and explaining how I did see that the monster selection was problematic, and suggesting some changes I might make if I use similar monsters in the future.

I had sorta just gone in blind and figured an at-level monster would have perfectly fine abilities, but the fact that my players disliked it is what made me ask around here, and since the advice has been all in one direction, obviously it is a poorly-conceived monster ability.

I think it's important to show the players I'm receptive to their concerns and come up with alternatives (I explained the change to Grabbed in my email to them).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Definitely. One of my players is notorious for getting dazed (to the point of having a schtick about it they roleplay... they act drunk) despite the fact they have one of the best Will saves in the game AND can save at the start of their turn for those effects, and politely complains and voices her frustration when it happens. I've really tried to cut back on even Dazed, though at least the player still gets to act; Stunned just sucks all around because you can't do anything.

More relevant, I apologized to my players right away after the purple worm fight because those immobilizing swarm enemies were just too annoying. They took forever to kill (because of swarm) and the immobilized kept them from being effective. It was a very good fight in a tactical sense, but it wasn't fun for the players because they were forced to keep wasting attacks on these stupid swarms they couldn't escape from.

Here's what I think I should have done: instead of a swarm with lots of hitpoints with a few minion swarms assisting, I should have made the swarms spawn off minion swarms and reduce their hitpoints each time they spawned more. What do you guys think of that sort of monster?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

That's not to say these status effects can't be fun when used well though. I spent a fight in my most recent session dazed and immobilised inside a gelatinous cube, and it was one of funnest encounters I've had.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.
I’m just starting up a Planescape game that I’m running in Pathfinder (with some FATE stuff bolted on). The basic idea is that the PCs work for a planar delivery service (loosely based on Planet Express from Futurama) Each adventure will be centered on the PCs delivering a parcel of one kind or another to some dangerous and hard to get to place in the Multiverse, and hilarity and violence will ensue. I’ve got a few ideas already, but I could use some help coming up with more. Any suggestions?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Here's what I think I should have done: instead of a swarm with lots of hitpoints with a few minion swarms assisting, I should have made the swarms spawn off minion swarms and reduce their hitpoints each time they spawned more. What do you guys think of that sort of monster?

I've recently been toying with two-hit minions, so my mind immediately goes to:
make a huge swarm that splits into 2 large swarms that each split into 2 medium swarms
or something like that

Maybe say everytime a swarm is bloodied (or dropped to 0?), it subdivideds into the smaller-sized swarms

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

I’ve got a few ideas already, but I could use some help coming up with more. Any suggestions?

Tribbles, watch Futurama, bombs, anything that other people will try to steal, have something of value stolen from them & they get a contract to deliver it somewhere. A vintage cherry-red-and-chrome 50's pulp sci-fi style (space ship/chevvy/dukebox) in mint condition (Did I mention local mob boss lost the auction for it?).

Anything that'd cause a moral quandry, make their lives harder/shorter itself, or make their lives harder/shorter while they possess it.

And please, you gotta share, how the hell have you managed to bolt FATE onto pathfinder?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'm running a campaign featuring old-school Chicago gangsters meets the Twilight Zone (So basically subtly paranormal gangsters) and I'm trying to find good music/art to kickstart my brain. Friends of Mr Cairo is a nice start, but I'm wondering if any movie scores would work particularly well for this. I find it easier to keep a consistent tone if I have a touchstone to work off of. Any help?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

I’m just starting up a Planescape game that I’m running in Pathfinder (with some FATE stuff bolted on). The basic idea is that the PCs work for a planar delivery service (loosely based on Planet Express from Futurama) Each adventure will be centered on the PCs delivering a parcel of one kind or another to some dangerous and hard to get to place in the Multiverse, and hilarity and violence will ensue. I’ve got a few ideas already, but I could use some help coming up with more. Any suggestions?

You'll probably use Sigil as a home base, but use it as a grand central station. Don't feel the need to stick with just the planes listed in the manual, it really opens it up for traveling to whatever setting you can think up.

Tell the players that a hack and slash, ask questions later attitude would not befit them in these environments. And don't waiver on this. In Planescape, in most places, action should mean something, or at least be a big deal. Planning, plotting, talking, exploring, this is how to survive, and get the most enjoyment from most cities in Planescape.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Any suggestions?

Something the recipient doesn't want to be delivered, because of complicated tax reasons (or it's a legal summons, or something). They have to chase them down and hand the thing over to them forcibly.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.

petrol blue posted:

watch Futurama

I actually tried this already, and there are surprisingly few episodes where they actually deliver anything to anybody. There is an episode from season 1 that would be pretty easy to "convert" though. "My Three Suns" (the one where Fry drinks the emperor and then becomes the new emperor). The PCs deliver a package to some emperor, but it turns out the package was trapped in some way so that when he opens it he gets killed, and now the PCs are to blame for his murder! Dun dun duhhhn.

petrol blue posted:

And please, you gotta share, how the hell have you managed to bolt FATE onto pathfinder?

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8os0?Fate-Points-and-Aspects-for-d20

Full disclosure: I worked on this book.

Pretty much you just use the Aspect/Compel/Invoke system from FATE to add more flavor to Pathfinder (or whatever D20 game you're playing).

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
So I recently started a D&D 4e campaign with some friends who've never played D&D before and we finished up our 3rd session yesterday. Things are going well and the players are having fun but some people aren't always able to make it. I was wondering what you guys do for XP for people who don't show up. On one hand, I want to reward people for playing but on the other hand, I don't want anyone to fall too far behind level-wise.

On an unrelated note, I'm trying to set up a dungeon for my next session and I'm looking for general advice on good dungeon design. We haven't done a dungeon before, so I want to avoid it becoming a boring slog.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Regarding experience for non-present members: you'll probably hear arguments from both sides on this. I say if the character is there, s/he should get full experience. Otherwise, you're punishing the character for something the player probably has no control over. Don't punish your players for having a life outside your game, in particular by withholding experience, because that punishment will stick with them for the entirety of the life of that character, because they missed a game or two on account of not being able to get a babysitter or having to work or whatever.

As for dungeons: consider the actual ecology of your dungeon. How did it come to be? What is living there now, and how do they get along? Is it a ruined temple now inhabited by a band of orcs? Great. Think about how the original tenants (the priests) made use of the temple, and would have had it designed. Likely a central chamber for worship, probably some secluded spaces for meditation, dormitories for the priests that lived there (how many were resident in its heyday?), pantries and cellars and kitchens and plots for livestock and farming. Was it near a town, or in the wilderness? And now that the original builders are gone and the orcs have moved in, what have they done with it? What is their day-to-day usage that defines where certain orcs are to be found and where their belongings are kept? Have the orcs found all the hidden chambers the priests might have stored some precious relics in? Does the orc leader like to sit proudly in what used to be the main worship chamber, or does he like to hide away in the inner cloister? Have the orcs ventured into the catacombs yet? And if so, did they find anything there, or still frequent the area? If not, why? Perhaps they found undead and have walled the catacombs off in fear. What secrets do the undead protect from the fearful orcs? And why are the undead there at all? Is there a dark force in the catacombs raising the undead, or did the priests do something themselves, perhaps using the undead to keep an even greater evil further below in check?

The more thought you put into how a certain dungeon or setting would actually exist in your world, the more you can develop living, breathing, interesting settings. Layers can make for a great deal of fun, such as the aforementioned temple->orc outpost->undead catacombs->???. Each group would leave its mark on the location and influence how the next group exists, leading to interactions between the various groups even if they've never met (priests & orcs) or if they avoid each other at all costs (orcs & undead.)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 22, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Xaander posted:

I'm running a campaign featuring old-school Chicago gangsters meets the Twilight Zone (So basically subtly paranormal gangsters) and I'm trying to find good music/art to kickstart my brain. Friends of Mr Cairo is a nice start, but I'm wondering if any movie scores would work particularly well for this. I find it easier to keep a consistent tone if I have a touchstone to work off of. Any help?

Road to perdition soundtrack is pretty good for this.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

AlternatePFG posted:

So I recently started a D&D 4e campaign with some friends who've never played D&D before and we finished up our 3rd session yesterday. Things are going well and the players are having fun but some people aren't always able to make it. I was wondering what you guys do for XP for people who don't show up. On one hand, I want to reward people for playing but on the other hand, I don't want anyone to fall too far behind level-wise.

Experience isn't the only reward characters get. If you make sure that there's a continuous stream of good loot in your sessions, you should be able to level up everyone together and still give a reward to those playing. If you are worried about issues with weapon and armor inequality due to this, keep in mind that there are plenty of wonderous items you can give those who attend that shouldn't really affect balance as much.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

AlternatePFG posted:

If your game is good, people don't want to miss it. That should be bad enough. Making their character more and more useless as bullshit comes up in their personal life is just rubbing salt into the wound. It might seem crazy now, but eventually you'll stop tracking XP entirely. It's a really lame part of the game that makes running the content you want very difficult even with meticulous planning. Let's say you have 1 level 1 dungeon, 2 level 2 dungeons, and 1 level 3 dungeon. You'll be over-leveled for one, and under-leveled for another. Instead, just level when it's appropriate. If someone bitches about "earning their fun", it just means they want to level slower.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's basically what I do, But I still give the players a number so they don't realize. It keeps the ones that want to see that number grow happy, while letting us get on with the fun stuff at minimal time cost. I usually just pick a number that will put most of the party around 1/4-3/4 through their next level. Every once in a while, that means someone might not quite level some time, which has the weird effect of, instead of disappointing them, making them more amped up for the next time, because they know they'll be SO CLOSE to two levels in one session, or might even get enough to level twice.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's legit. If no one is complains about absent players getting XP, then roll with it. If someone gets butthurt, cook the books so everyone levels at the same time anyway. I ignore XP unless I'm playing certain OSR styles, but I guess it is useful as a sort of drama meter like you use it.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Quick plotting question.

The party's a group of high seas adventurers in a world that was almost entirely flooded 900 years prior to the campaign and have been traveling around breaking seals to the tomb of the ancient sea god so they can raid it for riches. They started out as a pirate crew, so I gave them a bunch of cohorts with one of them being the big bad, a shapeshifting master spy who was responsible for corrupting the sea god a long time ago. Fairly early on, they tried to force him off the boat on suspicion for surviving being dragged underwater by a giant squid while they went inside a dungeon. He dropped his bumbling nature and nearly decapitated one party member before disappearing ever since in game. What the party doesn't know is that he murdered their most beloved NPC and assumed his form and face and has been quietly egging them on into breaking the seals so he can revive the crazy god.

The question is; how much should I if at all foreshadow that the BBEG murdered and assimilated their cohort? This happened quite a while ago out of game and nobody suspects anything and they've almost finished breaking the seals. Would it feel railroady or "read the DM's mind" if I keep not dropping any real hints until they've finished the quest and he backstabs them?

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Her mouth was sewn shut but her eyes were still wide
Gazing through the fog to the other side
I would drop at least one hint if for no other reason than that the players will feel some "responsibility" for the end result, which would kinda double the emotional impact.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Chickenfrogman posted:

Quick plotting question.

The party's a group of high seas adventurers in a world that was almost entirely flooded 900 years prior to the campaign and have been traveling around breaking seals to the tomb of the ancient sea god so they can raid it for riches. They started out as a pirate crew, so I gave them a bunch of cohorts with one of them being the big bad, a shapeshifting master spy who was responsible for corrupting the sea god a long time ago. Fairly early on, they tried to force him off the boat on suspicion for surviving being dragged underwater by a giant squid while they went inside a dungeon. He dropped his bumbling nature and nearly decapitated one party member before disappearing ever since in game. What the party doesn't know is that he murdered their most beloved NPC and assumed his form and face and has been quietly egging them on into breaking the seals so he can revive the crazy god.

The question is; how much should I if at all foreshadow that the BBEG murdered and assimilated their cohort? This happened quite a while ago out of game and nobody suspects anything and they've almost finished breaking the seals. Would it feel railroady or "read the DM's mind" if I keep not dropping any real hints until they've finished the quest and he backstabs them?

Like Hctibyllis said, it's a lot easier to get invested in a tragedy you could have prevented. If you drop some tiny hint that makes them wonder, the moment of realization will be that much more amazing. I love seeing players go "Huh, that's weird, last time we talked to him HE OH MY GOD GUYS GUYS GUYS".

If you don't want to drop TOO heavy of a hint, you could give them a little clue that will become totally apparent in hindsight, thus allowing them to still get that "We totally should have seen this coming" moment. The tiny clue they disregard may haunt them once they realize what it "should have" made them realize. But there's a fine line between a clue that's intentionally unhelpful and a clue that seems crappy and poorly planned.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I've signed up to run a Technocracy game (Mage: the Ascension) which will probably involve a fair amount of 'bug hunting.' I'd love advice on how to make combat work easily and fluidly in that system; I'm pretty confident in my skills in other fields, just not that particular one, as I haven't run World of Darkness in... ...ever?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

hctibyllis posted:

I would drop at least one hint if for no other reason than that the players will feel some "responsibility" for the end result, which would kinda double the emotional impact.

Importantly, though, if you do drop that clue then don't have plot that's contingent on them not figuring out who the bad guy is and killing him. One of the mantras I repeat to myself when planning plot is 'if you give players a lever, cool things have to happen if they pull it, and cool things have to happen if they don't pull it.'

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AlternatePFG posted:

On an unrelated note, I'm trying to set up a dungeon for my next session and I'm looking for general advice on good dungeon design. We haven't done a dungeon before, so I want to avoid it becoming a boring slog.

None of my 3 d&d groups use XP at all. We do our thing and at some point the GM just has everyone level up when it is thematically appropriate.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Chickenfrogman posted:

I would look at it as 'you have to assume they either won't notice your hint, or they'll notice and kill him'. That's not to say don't do it, just that they're likely to not respond as you hoped. Will it break the campaign if they find out and off him? If not, then unmasking the spy would make a good lead into the Sea God.

Possibly you could have a blatant hint that the shapeshifter is still alive, but not who it's being - the party find a badly-decomposed body stashed in a barrel, it's too far gone to tell who it was, that sort of thing. Again, though, that might confuse things, players might flip into detective-mode and unmask him anyway.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
In the nearby future, I will be GM'ing a 13th Age game.

For the first time, I've decided to actually try to get everyone on the same page from the get go.
Regarding that, are there any questions you guys would recommend that we hash out?

I could only think of "What sort of tone do you want for the campaign?".

Please help. This is difficult and scary.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Hawgh posted:

For the first time, I've decided to actually try to get everyone on the same page from the get go.
Regarding that, are there any questions you guys would recommend that we hash out?

Here are some useful questions to ask:

0. Is 13th Age the game you really want to be playing?
1. Are there any changes that you want to suggest for the mechanics or the setting that would make the game better for everyone? (Take "Let's simplify the Grapple rules" and "there's this other magic system that seems to work better" under consideration. Reject "let me play my homebrew multiclass cleric-druid" out of hand.)
2. What sort of tone do you want for the campaign? (Consider "light-hearted" vs. "grimdark"; "adventuring" vs. "single-location" - and if "adventuring", "home base" or "constant wanderers"; "intrigue" vs. "action" - and if "intrigue", "spies" vs. "courtiers".)
3. On a scale of 0-10, where 10 is "If I don't have a weapon out at all times I'm leaving the table" and 0 is "If anyone draws a weapon I'm leaving the table", how much combat do you want?

(Given that 13th Age appears to focus on dungeon-crawling, the answers to 2 and 3 may be relatively simple, but you still need to ask them.)

4. What do you, as a player, want to get out of the game? (You may discover a problem if player A wants a sweeping story with swashbuckling, intrigue, and romance, and player B just wants to roll some dice and make numbers go up and down.)
4a. Do you want this to be a long-running game with continuity of characters, a shorter game with a specific end in mind, or a series of one-shots with functionally-disposable characters?
5. What kinds of characters are you interested in playing?
6. Do you want your characters to be introduced as part of the game, or do you want to know each other ahead of time?
7. What kind of inter-character relations do you prefer? (Is everyone out to get everyone else, or is everybody voluntarily working as a team? Who's going to get pissed off if the thief steals from the other PCs? Who's going to get pissed off if you say their thief CAN'T steal from the other PCs?)
8. What do your characters want to get out of the game? (Wealth, redemption, finding a lost loved one, etc.)
9. Is there anything else that you want to bring up before we start creating characters?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I don't know 13th age at all, but Besesoth's question 0 seems bang on the money for me - ideally, you'd ask a load of questions first, and then decide on a system, but I know that's generally unrealistic. If you own any other systems, though, it's woth bearing them in mind if you end up discussing a very different game than you had in mind.

I'm a big fan of Microscope (world-building storygame), and one of the things I'd use from it more generally is to sit down and make a list of things that should/shouldn't be in the game - 'should' if they're something not immediately obvious from the genre, 'shouldn't' if it's something people might expect from the genre. So, you might decide between you that you want to remove humans from a fantasy setting and stick that on the 'shouldn't' list. You might decide you want magical space travel, etc.

The more you work out between you what you all want from a game, the more people will get into it. You're totally right with 'what tone', but don't be afraid to go deeper. They might be totally into court-intrigue, but be totally turned off by the idea of NPCs dragging the PCs family into play, etc, etc.

e: Also, tell them what you posted: "This is pretty hard, but I just want to make sure we're all after the same game".

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 23, 2013

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Hawgh posted:

13th Age's strengths lie in its ability to improvise interesting stories based on the characters you give it. It's got a bunch of tools to accomplish this and generate plot hooks - icon rolls, One Unique Thing and backgrounds are the main ones, and they're all designed to make your character feel like a unique piece of the world.

From the one's I've run, I've given my group a premise which they can then use to build some characters, at which point I try and flesh it out into a proper adventure. If they build super serious characters, the premise can be grounded a bit, if they go for something silly, it can reflect that and if they have a really strong idea for where their character fits in the world, feel free to give it a bit of relevance. It can be good here to see what Icons resonate with them, and try and involve them somehow. If someone really likes the High Druid, you might want to give a friendly NPC ties to her or something.

So basically, I'd suggest starting with a simple and universal premise for the players to react to, and then watch what they do with it and adjust it accordingly.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Pyradox posted:

It can be good here to see what Icons resonate with them, and try and involve them somehow. If someone really likes the High Druid, you might want to give a friendly NPC ties to her or something.

I followed this sort of thinking in my 4e campaign that is ongoing; I left the setting fairly bare-bones so we could hang whatever onto it.

The party includes a dragonborn paladin of the Raven Queen as well as a druid of the Raven Queen, so I've made her fairly influential in the campaign, and decided that the kobolds residing in the lizardfolk camp would be followers of hers. Because scaly, draconic-speaking peeps gotta stick together, yo.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
Thanks for the advice, I agree that probably the way to go is just level everybody up when the time is right and just make it seem like I'm keeping track of XP. I have another question, as I'm going through designing my dungeon (Which is a lot of fun by the way) I'm kind of at a loss on how reward my players as far as loot and items go. There doesn't seem to be a good list of items in the books I have and the D&D compendium has an overwhelming amount of items. Since we're low level (Level 2) I don't want to make people too overpowered with made up items, but I don't want each encounter to be "You cleared the room of enemies/solved the puzzle, just move onto the next room" either.

Edit: Also, do you guys have any tips making combat a bit shorter? In my earlier sessions, encounters that were my party's level or a bit higher took a decent amount of time, which is okay but in dungeon with multiple encounters like that it seems like it would drag on. How difficult should a normal, average encounter be?

AlternatePFG fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do the new versions of the DMG not have those sweet treasure-generation tables that the 3.0 DMG had? It was a bit involved and thus not at all something to be done during the game itself, but I really liked those tables for generating random loot as part of a session's planning phase.